Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sigh. Narrowing down on a sub-point in a comment someone made about something else and then acting the contrarian on it makes for some really tedious posts.
It was the first and main question of your post, not a subpoint. Yes, if you were Real Madrid CEO that caliber of manager would enter the conversation. I'm not being a contrarian but simply answering the question and showing that your conclusion is factually and historically wrong. Now there is an interesting question as to why a Real Madrid CEO would go after that type of managers and the answer is scarcity and timing, there are few top level managers and in order to get them you need to be ready when they are available.

largelyworried

It was the first and main question of your post, not a subpoint. Yes, if you were Real Madrid CEO that caliber of manager would enter the conversation. I'm not being a contrarian but simply answering the question and showing that your conclusion is factually and historically wrong. Now there is an interesting question as to why a Real Madrid CEO would go after that type of managers and the answer is scarcity and timing, there are few top level managers and in order to get them you need to be ready when they are available.
No, the point is that the four managers we picked weren't great managers. The Real Madrid comment was a way of illustrating that point. What you're doing is complaining about the illustration, not the point itself.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No, we will hire Pochettino then play Ajax at one point in CL and lose. It will be the biggest meltdown ever on the caf…
Poch will also sell Bruno and replace him with Dele Alli.

Plus he will also sign Rose,Winks,Wanyama, and Sissoko.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Poch vs Pep tonight.

What an audition for Poch.

If he manages to beat Pep (especially if he wins convincingly), then I am sure that will not go unnoticed in our recruitment process.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Carrick isn't getting jack. There's no delusion on the fact he's an extension of the man who just got fired. They just didn't want the tealady having to put up the training cones. Has nothing to do with the board's signature foolishness.
If the tea lady is available we should get her straight in, can’t afford to waste this season.

Needham

Least if Poch stays there, wins that league, and in so doing gets that hasn't won a major trophy monkey off his back, he can come here straight backed, erect, and hard, able to stare the sun in its face and get on with the gallant traditional Manchester United business of slaying scousers left right and centre AND

Cee90

Well he already did a few weeks ago
He did, but his record in general against the top teams / managers isn't great overall.

If he gets the win tonight then he will have the momentum behind him I think - it would put him in a much better position getting recent back-to-back wins like that.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Poch vs Pep tonight.

What an audition for Poch.

If he manages to beat Pep (especially if he wins convincingly), then I am sure that will not go unnoticed in our recruitment process.
Yes the last game doesn't count.

Greck

He did, but his record in general against the top teams / managers isn't great overall.

If he gets the win tonight then he will have the momentum behind him I think - it would put him in a much better position getting recent back-to-back wins like that.
It's a concern but could also be the natural consequence of playing progressive football against richer teams with elite managers. Under this criteria you will inevitably end up a negative record given time and a large enough sample size. The way the other big managers are even allowed to refresh already elite squads is a huge handicap for him. It's not like Spurs' squad wasn't good but so were the rest of the top 6. Wouldn't take that record too seriously in a vacuum.

JPRouve

Scout
No, the point is that the four managers we picked weren't great managers. The Real Madrid comment was a way of illustrating that point. What you're doing is complaining about the illustration, not the point itself.
I'm not complaining, I'm showing that yes those clubs would entertain those managers and I shared a reason why. If you disagree it's fine but the reality of these clubs tells a different story.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
What are you talking about?

All I'm saying is that if he beats Pep again tonight he will put himself in a great position.
He literally beat Pep in their last encounter, just under 2 months ago. It's almost like you've completely disregarded that.

If the board are basing their decision on whether to hire a manager based on 1 game, then the club really is in big trouble.

Reactions: Cheimoon

largelyworried

I'm not complaining, I'm showing that yes those clubs would entertain those managers and I shared a reason why. If you disagree it's fine but the reality of these clubs tells a different story.
Do you actually have a comment about the point I made?

Cee90

He literally beat Pep in their last encounter, just under 2 months ago. It's almost like you've completely disregarded that.

If the board are basing their decision on whether to hire a manager based on 1 game, then the club really is in big trouble.
Again, what the hell are you going on about?

I have acknowledged that he beat Pep already, but his overall record against him isn't great. Literally read what I wrote "it would put him in a much better position getting recent back-to-back wins like that"

My point is, if he beats him AGAIN tonight, he will be in a great position. He will have back-to-back wins against him which will put him in a great position.

What is there to argue about here?

If anything, it is YOU who is placing too much emphasis on Poch beating Pep in that one off game recently.

He has to beat the likes of Pep a bit more consistently to prove that he has what it takes to get us competing again.

RobsonsMarvel

I wanted to make this a thread. But because I joined today I don't have 10 likes, so I can't make it a thread.

Attributes of a Manchester United Manager

1. Know your limits. A World Class Club requires a World Class Manager.
If you know you are Not world class, if you know you are a middle of the road manager then never put yourself up for managing a World Class Club (Steve Bruce, Ole : caretaker possibly yes, long term no). Never say I believe I can turn it around, give me more time, when you are clearly Not World Class (Moyes, Ole). Don't stick around when you are hampering a World Class Club (Ole).

2. Don't be selfish. Always place Best for Club before best for self. Don't say I would love this job (Bruce, Ole). Say this is what I analyse is best for the club.

3. Research : which Systems gave xyz big teams difficulties losses, which styles of Substitutions gave zyx big teams difficulties, losses, which types of Players gave opposition star players nightmares.
Then play these Systems, these Players, make these Substitutions. Have Contingencies for match injurues, yellows, reds. You must prepare these in Advance, because the Big match situation, the emotions, anxiety, clouds judgement. For other non big teams make them Quake by imposing your players your system.

4. Play players in their Natural Best position as shown by research of past games where they played their best. Even Ron Siiiiuuuu as a wingback nowadays would be average. Messi in defence would be below average. This is so basic, too many managers over think this, they send out a player to "do a job" which translates to average below average.

5. Tell players : you know what you are best at, do it, that's all you gotta do every game. That's why you are in the team. That's why we purchased you. For you to be you, the Best you.
Hire staff to develop players strengths.
Don't foist detrimental concepts upon a player. Dont take away a players impact by foisting detrimental responsibilities on a player, turning this player into average.

6. Research the system in which a Star player played best, other players that brought out the best in this Star player, then look at if this system is what we have / we can successfully play, if we have the supporting players, then and only then purchase this Star player.

7. Dont crush hopes of young gifted players (Mourinho, Ole).

8. Be Sensitive as a human being towards players. Not overly sensitive else you can't cut and cull players. The best managers of all time and the current best are sensitive to the players (Klopp, Pep, Poch, Ten Hag, Tuchel).

9. Be humble. Humble to know you need to improve this, you messed up exactly here and here, you need help in these and these areas. Then find the best available in these areas to make a massive difference : Sir Alex did this with his training staff.

10. Be a Devil. Fearless, Bold, give no quarter . Who dares wins. Fortune favours the brave. Be a Devil in high stakes matches to Win. Be a Devil to make substitutions system changes in high stakes matches to Win. Be a Devil to drop star players for proper reasons. Be a Devil to change your staff. Be a Devil to replace past it players. Be a Devil to match the Red Devils. Not a mouse.

11. Treat players as Men. Show respect to players. Understand that a professionals life these days with social media, with player power, agents, is different to 10years ago.

12. Be Totally Honest to players, else they will loose respect for you, stop playing for you.

13. No favourites else you will loose the dressing room. Choose a Captain other players respect similar in personality to Robson, Bruce, Blanc, Evra, Ronaldo.

14. Home Truths tell these to players, welcome accept the same in return from players.

15. Always shield players in public. This is one massive way to get loyalty from players. Never throw a player under the bus in public, never put dirty linen in public, else nowadays they will stop playing for you.

16. Never rush a player back from injury. It will make it worse, show up worse performance. Gradually build up returning injured player.

17. Treat everyone in the club decently : cleaners, cooks, receptionists, drivers.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I've already explained you missed the point with that post. Do you specifically have a view on whether the 4 United managers were good picks for our club?
I actually answered when I told you why we went for that caliber of managers. They were the right caliber of manager when you consider who was available. The issue for United was to not updgrade them when better managers were available.

Devil’s Trident

The problem is PSG. They are very very touchy and insecure about their image. It’s not a nice look for them at all that their current manager who was also their former player and Captained them managing a dream team containing the likes of Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and others still wants to leave them for Manutd , a club who has been in the wilderness and has done nothing of note or atleast significant for almost a decade.

It’s a terrible outlook for them that no matter what Psg are and what psg wins and no matter how shite Manutd are, they would always be smaller and in the shadows of a historic club like Utd and that their manager who played for them and captained them and who has no affiliation with Utd in any capacity still wants to ditch them mid season to go to Manutd. We all saw what happened in the summer when they won’t sell Mbappe even for 200m just because their ego couldn’t take it. It’s the same here but more as poch is the manager of a team unrivalled by any and envy of many. If it has to happen then it would be on PSG’s terms completely. And there are only two scenarios for that —
A) they sack poch
B) they get Zidane before allowing poch to go and we pay them hefty compensation

And Fergie’s relationship with Nasser-Al-Khelaifi could come really handy otherwise it would be almost impossible to pry him away. It’s an embarrassing situation for them and they are more sensitive than any other.

Cee90

The United role, obviously, which is exactly the point... A one off match should not improve or harm his position. If it is, we're in trouble.
So if Poch wins 5-0 tonight, or loses 5-0 tonight, you do not think our recruitment team will be taking that into consideration at all?

But as I've mentioned several times now, I am not focussing explicitly on this one game tonight.

He already beat Pep recently in the home leg. I think it will send a clear message to the club if he beats City convincingly again tonight and gets back-to-back wins against Pep, which is the level United are trying to compete against.

AussieDevil

If people want him in mid-season then you’d need to hope PSG don’t win and don’t win convincingly.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If people want him in mid-season then you’d need to hope PSG don’t win and don’t win convincingly.
PSG want Zidane and their fans have already decided Poch isn't the one. I still think that there is a chance that this all happens soon. I think we'll see movement tomorrow/friday. We were never going to see much happen before both teams had massive games

Highfather_24

Two questions for the Pochetino enthusiasts :

- Since he is known for an highline+aggressive pressing game, how will he suit a team with Ronaldo, Maguire etc. Also, how is that working out for him at PSG?
- Wasnt his team infamous for having a huge meltdown after the players were burnt out?

Zoo

Pochettino-United operation is blocked because of Zidane. The Frenchman has put off PSG because he is focused on other projects. Without a substitute, Poch will have to continue on the bench, although Manchester is willing to wait for him.

Mainoldo

- Since he is known for an highline+aggressive pressing game, how will he suit a team with Ronaldo, Maguire etc. Also, how is that working out for him at PSG?
- Wasnt his team infamous for having a huge meltdown after the players were burnt out?
Maguire gets dropped which is quite fine as he’s Harry Maguire not CR7.

He hasn’t done well implementing his style as it was never going to work fitting in Neymar, Mbappe and now Messi. But it was the same for Tuchel.

largelyworried

This is a problem for almost any incoming manager. High line, front press, attacking width from fullbacks - these are pretty common features for attacking coaches these days and our squad is not ideally build for them. So what would any manager do? Transition to a squad that can do those things I suppose.

At PSG he's had to avoid pressing from the front and in difficult games tries to have a more hardworking midfield to make up for it, but it hasnt really worked. Key difference is, at PSG he can't change things. Easier for them to replace the manager than to replace the front line.

That was partly due to having a small squad and limited investment to refresh the team, meaning he played the same group of players for several years. But that team also bottled things a few times and that's a legit question mark over the manager.

mav_9me

I think this is all a little over-blown.

Whatever manager comes in the players will do what they're told. If his plan involves making runs (on or off the ball) or tracking back in a specific way then that's what they'll do. You may have one or two that can't cut it and they'll be moved on but this idea that our young forwards are all lazy and/or can't press is a bit silly.
Couldn't agree more.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston

Pochettino-United operation is blocked because of Zidane. The Frenchman has put off PSG because he is focused on other projects. Without a substitute, Poch will have to continue on the bench, although Manchester is willing to wait for him.
Good — hoping this prevents United higher-ups attempts at hiring Poch as a means to fast track the bleeding.

If not and they got their way, you just know it’d be a colossal blunder by them not being arsed to consider a better long term candidate (like Ten Hag) because they’d rather not wait a measly half season to truly consider all options while leaving no stones unturned, over rushing things to appease the crowd on the surface level which we all know is their preferred ‘strategy’ if anyone wants to call it that.

Mainoldo

Good — hoping this prevents United higher-ups attempts at hiring Poch as a means to fast track the bleeding.

If not and they got their way, you just know it’d be a colossal blunder by them not being arsed to consider a better long term candidate (like Ten Hag) because they’d rather not wait a measly half season to truly consider all options while leaving no stones unturned over rushing things to appease the crowd on a the surface level.
Why does Ten Hag fit us better than Poch?

Amir

So if Poch wins 5-0 tonight, or loses 5-0 tonight, you do not think our recruitment team will be taking that into consideration at all?
I think that it would take some mental strength not to look too much into tonights game, even if it is a resounding result or performance one way or the other. And I hope we have people with that mental strength.

hungrywing

That list really seems to heavily underscore all the reservations people have regarding him vs Ten Hag.

It would have been quite useful if Ten Hag's sample size vs Plopp were larger, so we could compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.