Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Why does Ten Hag fit us better than Poch?
- for beginners, he has a higher managerial ceiling than Poch. Footballing fans know where Poch stands amongst the worlds best, and it’s 1or2 tiers below the Pep’s/Klopp’s/Zidane’s/etc of the world. His current tenure at PSG proves he doesn’t have it in him to ascend much further. His level is his level imho (aka it’s above average/good but when there’s better candidates out there, it’s silly to put it lightly to not consider them).

- Ten Hag truly has all the elements of being a managerial prodigy. Can’t say the same about Poch. He was potentially considered one a few years back but that flash has gone away as people have come to discover.

- Poch having a track record (past&present) of problems when it comes to controlling players and their ego’s within the locker room and an inability to cohesively work with his clubs board are glaring red flags as a potential candidate for the United job.

- Ten Hag has more intricate patterns of play and is much more flexible/adaptable with the players at his disposal. Poch will more or less live&die with his run-and-gun, balls to the wall style which is why he hasn’t sustained much if any long term successes.

here’s a couple of videos for those who aren’t aware of both managers style of play:

If we were to hire Poch its not that I wouldn’t be content. It’s just that I rate Ten Hag over him considerably more. He has a lot more methods up his sleeves while not being so overly reliant on 1 certain way to get the job done. I also find it’d be fitting for someone up and coming like him to call this new generation United squad his own rising in unison altogether — both the manager & players.

largelyworried

He did, but his record in general against the top teams / managers isn't great overall.

If he gets the win tonight then he will have the momentum behind him I think - it would put him in a much better position getting recent back-to-back wins like that.
To be fair that includes his time at Espanyol and Southampton. So he played Pep's Barca 9 times I think while he was at Espanyol, which is a complete mismatch. Not saying his record is great - its undeniably dire against Liverpool while at Spurs - but people seeing that table might only think of his time at Spurs and PSG.

Telsim

I sincerely hope this board doesn't wait until summer just to hire Mauricio Pochettino instead of Ten Hag.

Mainoldo

- for beginners, he has a higher managerial ceiling than Poch. Footballing fans know where Poch stands amongst the worlds best, and it’s 1or2 tiers below the Pep’s/Klopp’s/Zidane’s/etc of the world. His current tenure at PSG proves he doesn’t have it in him to ascend much further. His level is his level imho (aka it’s above average/good but when there’s better candidates out there, it’s silly to put it lightly to not consider them).

- Ten Hag truly has all the elements of being a managerial prodigy. Can’t say the same about Poch. He was potentially considered one a few years back but that flash has gone away as people have come to discover.

- Poch having a track record (past&present) of problems when it comes to controlling players and their ego’s within the locker room and an inability to cohesively work with his clubs board are glaring red flags as a potential candidate for the United job.

- Ten Hag has more intricate patterns of play and is much more flexible/adaptable with the players at his disposal. Poch will more or less live&die with his run-and-gun, balls to the wall style which is why he hasn’t sustained much if any long term successes.

here’s a couple of videos for those who aren’t aware of both managers style of play:

If we were to hire Poch its not that I wouldn’t be content. It’s just that I rate Ten Hag over him considerably more. He has a lot more methods up his sleeves while not being so overly reliant on 1 certain way to get the job done. I also find it’d be fitting for someone up and coming like him to call this new generation United squad his own rising in unison altogether — both the manager & players.
I get all that but it’s very limited to assume Poch cannot evolve especially if he was to make amendments to his staff.

I also don’t see what PSG has proved as he’s got to a semi final and is currently 11 points clear in the league.

As for Ten Hag I asked the question as a lot of fans are going with hope more than what is proven. He hasn’t managed in the top tier league and based on the Ajax fan talking this morning he’s gone a whole season with not winning the game if it’s 0-0 at half time. This shows a lack of adaptability which you currently praise him for. Ten Hag lacks plan b and we seen that when Spurs knocked them out.

Also on Ten Hag like many have said the structure will probably be very important and his success could be very reliant on that and we know how we are set up.

But he is my favourite but if Poch is willing to come right now I want Poch.

0le

To be fair that includes his time at Espanyol and Southampton. So he played Pep's Barca 9 times I think while he was at Espanyol, which is a complete mismatch. Not saying his record is great - its undeniably dire against Liverpool while at Spurs - but people seeing that table might only think of his time at Spurs and PSG.
And even with Spurs, he was still punching above his weight. The fandom for Ten Hag is absolutely bizarre. It happens every year. People get obsessed with certain individuals. A few seasons ago it was Jardim. Poch is a fantastic manager. Sure, there are question marks about where he can emulate Pep or Klopp, but he will be a huge upgrade over Ole. This is not to say Ten Hag is not a good manager, but rather we should not discredit every other manager either.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
To be honest, I don't see how PSG can keep Poch if he wants to come. Surely there's some automatic break clauses in his contract.

If he just doesn't want to come now, he can piss off as well. I have my reservations for Ten Hag but if it's between the two in the summer, Ten Hag looks like the more progressive candidate.

There's only so many times you have a chance to manage United and if Poch can't even get it right on his third time of asking, it's not meant to be.

Pronewbie

Peep
And even with Spurs, he was still punching above his weight. The fandom for Ten Hag is absolutely bizarre. It happens every year. People get obsessed with certain individuals. A few seasons ago it was Jardim. Poch is a fantastic manager. Sure, there are question marks about where he can emulate Pep or Klopp, but he will be a huge upgrade over Ole. This is not to say Ten Hag is not a good manager, but rather we should not discredit every other manager either.
You're forgetting Nagelsmann.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I get all that but it’s very limited to assume Poch cannot evolve especially if he was to make amendments to his staff.

I also don’t see what PSG has proved as he’s got to a semi final and is currently 11 points clear in the league.

As for Ten Hag I asked the question as a lot of fans are going with hope more than what is proven. He hasn’t managed in the top tier league and based on the Ajax fan talking this morning he’s gone a whole season with not winning the game if it’s 0-0 at half time. This shows a lack of adaptability which you currently praise him for. Ten Hag lacks plan b and we seen that when Spurs knocked them out.

Also on Ten Hag like many have said the structure will probably be very important and his success could be very reliant on that and we know how we are set up.

The thing that PSG is showing isn't on the field but outside of it. Last week he was complaining about being criticized by the press for his style and also complaining about the fact that expectations increased since this summer. Pochettino is a good manager but between his ego comment regarding trophies and the way he handles criticism from the press and fans, you have to ask yourself questions.

0le

The thing that PSG is showing isn't on the field but outside of it. Last week he was complaining about being criticized by the press for his style and also complaining about the fact that expectations increased since this summer. Pochettino is a good manager but between his ego comment regarding trophies and the way he handles criticism from the press and fans, you have to ask yourself questions.
No different to Pep or Klopp to be honest.

ShinjiNinja26

I’d be more than happy with Pochettino if we could bring him in right away, however if we have to wait until the summer then I’d much rather we go after Ten Hag.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
To be honest, I don't see how PSG can keep Poch if he wants to come. Surely there's some automatic break clauses in his contract.

If he just doesn't want to come now, he can piss off as well. I have my reservations for Ten Hag but if it's between the two in the summer, Ten Hag looks like the more progressive candidate.

There's only so many times you have a chance to manage United and if Poch can't even get it right on his third time of asking, it's not meant to be.
It’s not necessary Poch’s choice you know?
if United want to speak to him they have to legally get PSG’s permission. Even if they chat first informally they would then need to agree compensation with PSG.
It’s like signing a player. There is no automatic break clause. It’s a case of all parties wanting the deal to happen and agreeing compensation which will be in the millions

JPRouve

Scout
No different to Pep or Klopp to be honest.
The difference being that they have a history of winning things and building a winning mentality. I can understand Pep and Klopp defensiveness when they have shown that they have what people are criticizing them for, while I can't understand it for others.

Dominos

How do these contracts work for managers.. Surely Poch effectively has a buyout in his contract, that means PSG have no say in the matter if we choose to pay it?

JPRouve

Scout
How do these contracts work for managers.. Surely Poch effectively has a buyout in his contract, that means PSG have no say in the matter if we choose to pay it?
No, Pochettino doesn't have a buyout in his contract, that would be illegal in France. He has a contract with end term, he can break it unilaterally with cause or he has to find a mutual agreement, other scenarios ends in Prud'Homme court.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Sigh, we are signing Brucey for the season, aren’t we.

HailtotheKing

Good — hoping this prevents United higher-ups attempts at hiring Poch as a means to fast track the bleeding.

If not and they got their way, you just know it’d be a colossal blunder by them not being arsed to consider a better long term candidate (like Ten Hag) because they’d rather not wait a measly half season to truly consider all options while leaving no stones unturned, over rushing things to appease the crowd on the surface level which we all know is their preferred ‘strategy’ if anyone wants to call it that.
So long as we hire a good interim I agree. I just don’t want to throw away the season when we have the best group of players we’ve had in ages and half of them will possibly be leaving next season. It’s also paramount that we finish top four to ensure we can attract any prospective managers or players. Also, even if we do hire an interim I can’t see us hiring Ten Hag. Too much work and too much risk. No way they will risk an untried in the premier league manager who may or may not depend on having the structure he has at Ajax, when they can have tried and true Poch. I just don’t see it. That’s something for Barca or City to go with. Whether it’s a mistake we’ll live to refer who knows. But it would be a massive upheaval for us to do it and I just don’t seem them taking the risk or the hassle. I’d love to be wrong.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston

Poch hasn’t been able to evolve a whole lot more and his best managerial moments were years ago with Spurs. Not saying he’s terrible but it doesn’t cut it for me and a lot of others. He hasn’t been able to duplicate the window of sustained success he did at Tottenham in that 1 stretch since. Can’t win the big games and has underwhelming records against the best managers.

this is Ligue1 you’re talking about. That’s not the litmus test for PSG, the CL is against other top clubs that don’t exist in France. And it’s common knowledge that they haven’t looked all that great there with word of players being unhappy leaking out.

Comparing Ajax vs Spurs squads is unfair wouldn’t you say? I’m not aware of that statistic but looking at the table, 13GP 9W 3D 1L…Ajax 9/13 times had a lead going into half time which means a lot more often than not, they’ve won the game before the 2nd half begins. As for the non-victories, 0-0 at half time means 1L in 4 matches which is supposed to somehow be terrible? Ajax have allowed just 2 goals against thus far this season. The next closest team has allowed 13. Ajax’s goal differential is so big that no other clubs goals for match their goals differential in the league, which is an utterly absurd statistic. Let’s just please not try to downplay the madness to Ten Hag’s magic because what he’s doing is truly special.

Potentially but I believe he’s more fluid and adaptable than Poch. Look no further than Ajax’s moving pieces the past couple years. He’s still managing at this crazy high level despite the club losing their best players over that time. And as I mentioned before about Poch, he has a history of not being on the same page with the board which effects him and leaks into the squad. Whereas Ten Hag gets the job done with much more limited resources at a club like Ajax showing that a potential lack of backing or funding would give the benefit to him logically speaking.

…I’ll be fully happy with Poch if it becomes known United exhausted their options for other/better candidates and they couldn’t make it work. Otherwise will be just another misstep and flaw in the the ways of which United operate. Never proactive — always reactive.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
My preference is:

Joint first place for Poch now or ten Hag in summer (I'm assuming ten Hag won't come now as I've seen no suggestion he would.

Graham Potter now (seems pretty likely that could be done).

Poch in summer.

Any other remotely sensible option.

Any other not remotely sensible option.

Rodgers.

croadyman

My preference is:

Joint first place for Poch now or ten Hag in summer (I'm assuming ten Hag won't come now as I've seen no suggestion he would.

Poch in summer.

Rodgers.
Yeah that would absolutely be my first option too

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
My preference is:

Poch in summer.

Rodgers.
Why is Rodgers so high on this list?

LFGGGGG!!! United board will have to do proper due diligence now which they otherwise would not have *fingers crossed!*

:drool::drool::drool:
This is a naive position. We're more likely to end up with Carrick as manager than Ed Deadwood doing proper football due diligence.

It's as if people forget the last 9 years of incompetence.

Rolaholic

Hope this is true and he's interested in being it interim as it would be a fascinating move

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lloris
Walker Aldeweireld Vertonghen Rose
Wanyama Dembele
Eriksen Alli Son
Kane

Lloris
Trippier Aldeweireld Vertonghen Davies
Sissoko Winks
Eriksen Alli Son
Kane

IMO, both Poch's Spurs and the current United have similar players in term of style. Thus, he should be fine to implement his system and philosophy by working with this current squad. If the board want Poch then we should hire him now so he has time to prepare the next summer transfer to complete something he couldn't achieve at Spurs due to lack of resources given by Levy.

Rolaholic

Ragnick until the summer while they work on bringing in Ten Hag or Poch after the season would be ideal

Chairman Steve

I think the thing that’s holding up Poch being here now is Zidane isn’t too keen on the PSG role right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.