Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
No chance Rangnick can stay on for an additional season? I’d be interested to see how he reshapes the squad and if we give him the autonomy to do so we should let him work with them over the course of a full season.

ShinjiNinja26

Lopetegui feck sake! Don’t want him anywhere near Utd. Ten Hag or Poch are the only 2 candidates for me. Ruling out Enrique as he won’t leave Spain before the World Cup.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Enrique would be great but surely being in the Spain job rules him out immediately? He's not going to leave them before the World Cup, it seems extremely unlikely that Spain would allow him to take on a job as big as United in addition to the national team role in the build up to the World Cup and leaving Rangnick in charge until the PL season resumes in December seems stupidly messy.

Counterfactual

No chance Rangnick can stay on for an additional season? I’d be interested to see how he reshapes the squad and if we give him the autonomy to do so we should let him work with them over the course of a full season.
I think he could well stay on longer as manager. He may have the option to do that if it goes well, or move to the "consultancy" role if he doesn't want to stay as manager. I think that's a shrewd position to be in.

UpWithRivers

Ralf will still be manager. I just cant see Ten Haag or Potter or anyone really managing the sht show thats United. Imagine if one of these managers came in instead of Rangnick. Do you really think they could have handled it? I doubt it. Even Conte that everyone thinks we should get. He's too authoritarian and aggressive. Can you imagine the reaction of our players. It would be all out war. And if you think that players dont win over managers these days then just ask our previous managers how it went for them.

I am seriously concerned about getting a new manager. I just dont know who could handle the very unique and special sht show that United are. Maybe if Rangnick has managed to stabilize it and throw out the bad eggs then they have half a chance but I just cant see it working. Add on top the anti United media bias and a few losses and they will be screwed. The only person I can see would have half a chance would be Enrique. I think we go all out for him even if it means waiting till December or even the next season. Waiting for the right manager will be better than another failed manager.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My assumption is the list is in that order of preference. The majority of the board (and SAF) I imagine are very heavy on Pochettino, whilst I imagine Rangnick would prefer Ten Hag as his replacement.

Lopetegui sounds like the back-up to the back-up. He’s like first reserve, then.

macheda14

Was Lopetegui not interviewed and then not chosen for the interim job?
No there were rumours, but that made littles sense as he's flying high with Sevilla right now. So no reason he would leave for an interim position.

slored1

Happy with them all. Maybe Lopetegui is a bit of a meh choice but I presume the other three are ahead of him in the pecking order. Hopefully we do a good clearout of the squad in the summer and back the manager, whoever that might be.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Surprised with the choices tbh. None of them are similar in styles and everyone of them actually needs a different type of players .

Enrique needs a brilliant midfield while Poch is completely a different manager.
Isn't Lopetegui more of a pragmatic type ?

The squad is more suitable to Poch or ETH.

BorisManUtd

Surprised with the choices tbh. None of them are similar in styles and everyone of them actually needs a different type of players .

Enrique needs a brilliant midfield while Poch is completely a different manager.
Isn't Lopetegui more of a pragmatic type ?

The squad is more suitable to Poch or ETH.
Think it'll be one of those two in the end, with their CL knockout stages campaign being important aspect for our board when deciding.

Delano

It'll be Poch, and I'd rather Rangnick stayed over him. That PSG team is horrendous to watch and the player power he's bowed to is the last thing we need here.

ETH or Rangnick for me.

We Need Another Rebuild

ETH has to be the first choice, best manager available, plays great football, dismantled Dortmund twice in the Champions league Group stage.

Poch finished 3rd in a two horse race, they are the only two candidates.

No doubt it will be Poch

Giggsy13

I think Rangnick could stay on if the club prefers Enrique, and to allow him to finish coaching Spain in the World Cup. Tbh surprised to see Enrique’s name as a possibility considering the Barca links and my thoughts he’d be set to take over city when people steps down. I think he has too much hair for city’s liking, which is why we’re seeing the Ten Hag rumours heat up.

wolvored

It'll be Poch, and I'd rather Rangnick stayed over him. That PSG team is horrendous to watch and the player power he's bowed to is the last thing we need here.

ETH or Rangnick for me.
Im not so sure.
It was in a few media outlets before xmas Pocc wants to manage in England again as his family are settled here. I think If it was Pocc as the next manager it would already be done and dusted and you wouldnt hear anything in the media about Utd with a shortlist. The fact they are taking their time to me means there might be doubts about him not winning any trophies as of yet.
I got a feeling it will be Ten Hag.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Im not so sure.
It was in a few media outlets before xmas Pocc wants to manage in England again as his family are settled here. I think If it was Pocc as the next manager it would already be done and dusted and you wouldnt hear anything in the media about Utd with a shortlist. The fact they are taking their time to me means there might be doubts about him not winning any trophies as of yet.
I got a feeling it will be Ten Hag.
Pochettino has a contract at PSG until summer of 2023 - if he should come to United this summer, United and PSG have to do a transfer deal. Poch can't sign a new contract in England now on his own. When PSG don't want to play their part in this, he is going nowhere this summer.

USREDEVIL

Poch would be typical United. Looking at name recognition, bit cozier feeling as he's been in the EPL, and ignoring his relatively modest success. He did have Spurs playing well with a limited budget but it feels a bit stale.

Ten Hag is the future. Forward looking, a bit risky, but no nuts no glory bitches.

wolvored

Pochettino has a contract at PSG until summer of 2023 - if he should come to United this summer, United and PSG have to do a transfer deal. Poch can't sign a new contract in England now on his own. When PSG don't want to play their part in this, he is going nowhere this summer.
I hope you are right, but you know PSG like the next shiny thing and could just as easily sack Pocc for Zidane for example. Especially if thet get knocked out early in Ch Lge.

Telsim

I've already expressed my opinion about the likelihood Ten Hag decides to come here, but we have to try and get him as a priority. To know that we have at least tried before inevitably ending up with Pochettino as the only option. At which point I'd just wait until after the World Cup to try for Enrique. Maybe even call Mancini. If all else fails, I'd rather stick with Rangnick or give it to Potter. Just not Pochettino or, God forbid, Rodgers.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I hope you are right, but you know PSG like the next shiny thing and could just as easily sack Pocc for Zidane for example. Especially if thet get knocked out early in Ch Lge.
That risk exists obviously, but it would also mean that United can not definitely plan with it. And just imagine, Poch stages an early CL exit to be free for United, and then United decide against him because of his CL failure :lol:

wolvored

That risk exists obviously, but it would also mean that United can not definitely plan with it. And just imagine, Poch stages an early CL exit to be free for United, and then United decide against him because of his CL failure :lol:
:lol: class

Poch would be so underwhelming. Completely safe cushy option, securing top 4 every season on a tight budget.

If we can’t convince Ten Haag to come from Ajax then the board should never say again that their ambition is to challenge for all titles.

Seij

I can't see Poch keeping his job if they get knocked out in R16. They didn't exactly hire him and give him Messi, Hakimi, Donnarumma to win the league.

Alternatively, the moment Zidane says yes to them, Poch is sacked.

Daengophile

I'm beginning to think the same.

But I'm inclined to wait for a few more matches

peridigm

Please no. Rangnick is filling the role of interim manager just fine, but going with him for another year would further set us back. ETH or Poch in the summer.

AneRu

Poch would be so underwhelming. Completely safe cushy option, securing top 4 every season on a tight budget.

If we can’t convince Ten Haag to come from Ajax then the board should never say again that their ambition is to challenge for all titles.
We haven't operated this way for close to ten years and why would we start now when we have seen the risk that comes with this strategy? Every year we have slackened off we have paid heavily.

If the Glazers wanted a guaranteed spot in the top four on the cheap they have the guy for it right now in the dugout, a simple Google search would have told them that they got their guy. Everyone in football knows that Ralf is an expert in building teams cheaply and the targets he had reported identified for us reflect his ethos but the club have ignored them because they don't want to compromise the permanent manager's budget for the summer.

I think they want to win but they don't want to go the extra mile and they don't know the right people in the industry that can organize a club for them. So they relied overly on Woodward and he has surrounded himself with cronies like Judge who he knew would never challenge him plus I think we ignore too much the nationalistic tilt within our club, we had DoFs around Europe throwing themselves at our feet but we chose an inside guy, why? Luis Campo, Ralf Rangnick amongst others are way more proven than Murtough and Fletcher and would have come, built a team more efficiently than Ole and Murtough's ridiculously expensive cultural reboot but we ignored them.

If Arnold can not extricate himself from the hold of the old boy network he will fail too. Even bringing Ten Hag won't change a thing as long as we still have untouchables within the club, I think our British contingent within the dressing room and club are over protected by Woodward and there is a number of them in the playing squad that you just know that they won't cut it under Ten Hag but would he get the backing to bring in possession oriented players if he demands them? Especially at the expense of some of our flops on big contracts?

Ten Hag is a systems manager and I like what he has done but if we aren't going to back him if he tells us to replace Bissaka, Shaw or McFred then we shouldn't bother wasting his time or ours. Just bring in Poch who would be more pragmatic and knows the league well enough to negotiate a top four finish. If we consistently finish in the top four and keep building we will definitely challenge one day.

Ogaranya

Ten Hag will never accept the job because he knows how clueless the board is and the British contingent we have here will not fit in into his possession style football, trying to offload them all will not be that possible given the kind of board we have.

He will stay at Ajax for one more season and then wait for Man City job, Pochettino will be an underwhelming addition, he doesn't have the steel and charisma to fix us up.

Let's wait for Enrique after the world cup.

JohnnyLaw

Ten Hag will never accept the job because he knows how clueless the board is and the British contingent we have here will not fit in into his possession style football, trying to offload them all will not be that possible given the kind of board we have.

He will stay at Ajax for one more season and then wait for Man City job, Pochettino will be an underwhelming addition, he doesn't have the steel and charisma to fix us up.

Let's wait for Enrique after the world cup.
Enrique is even more possession oriented and incredibly stingy.

Dembeza

I am all for this if we are waiting for Luis.

We can allow Rangnick to bring in his top assistance and give him the full season.

Only issue I have with this is that Man City will also have a new manager then and the new manager would still bedding in. If we already have a settled manager by then, for the first time we might actually be ahead of City while they play catch up.

gajender

Rangnick will be your next perm manager I reckon
Well that would be quite a surprise when all the news coming out from club source's is that we would definitely have a new permanent manager before next season and Rangnick isn't even being considered for the position .

FromTheBench

Does ten hag also play pressing football that rangnick is trying to get done? Like a Klopp.

Or is he more tiki taka ala Pep?

Idk why we are not even considering galtier.

Status
Not open for further replies.