Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redmanx

There's no manager in world football, past or present that can get this squad playing great football. Talent wise it seems a pretty good squad but there's something bigger at play that I don't believe can be fixed by simply appointing a great manager. Whether that's lack of squad togetherness because of cliques/egos, a lack of motivation because too many are mercenaries deep down, or that mentally they don't have what it takes to be at a big club. I would say it's probably all three of those things in different players, so I don't know how you begin to figure out which ones need to be moved on and which ones could be salvaged. Just as Impossible as solving the problems with the squad is, is finding a manager to do it. It's going to be a long and expensive road that's for sure.
It seems that Rangnicks days are already numbered and that we're looking to replace him before the season ends, according to some media at least. If this is true, then pretty much the same squad, or at least senior players wise, will have seen off their 3rd manager in less than 5 years. Roy Keanne was spot on when he warned Ole that the players would get rid of him just like they did Jose; now it seems Rangnick is next. Who in their right mind would take on the job of managing Manchester United in the current climate of toxic player power? We need to clear out all those players who think they are bigger than the manager, bigger than their team mates, bigger than the supporters and bigger than the club and start afresh, from the bottom, which is where we will be if the current problems are allowed to continue.

Rooney24

It seems that Rangnicks days are already numbered and that we're looking to replace him before the season ends, according to some media at least. If this is true, then pretty much the same squad, or at least senior players wise, will have seen off their 3rd manager in less than 5 years. Roy Keanne was spot on when he warned Ole that the players would get rid of him just like they did Jose; now it seems Rangnick is next. Who in their right mind would take on the job of managing Manchester United in the current climate of toxic player power? We need to clear out all those players who think they are bigger than the manager, bigger than their team mates, bigger than the supporters and bigger than the club and start afresh, from the bottom, which is where we will be if the current problems are allowed to continue.
The only way Rangnick goes before the season end is if we have his successor in place. There is absolutely no way player power pushes him out. I mean we also gave him a two year consultancy contract after this interim role.

If united were to push him out before the end of the season then we may all as well pack up and go home. I would lose all hope entirely. What little there is left actually.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Whoever comes in will fail to live up to expectations because the board meddle in the football side of things too much. Pogba will probably sign a new massive contract this season. Ronaldo will get an extension. Rashford will get a new bumper contract to reward him for his awful form and all of them will be untouchable because they are cornerstones of the "United brand".

I simply can't accept that Ronaldo was a managers decision to bring in when our other striker is 34 (nearly 35). I can't accept that anyone on the football side thinks that Pogba is good for the team morale or that he is worth £400,000/w for his footballing contributions. I can't believe that anyone thinks Rashford is due a pay rise.
Don't believe much do you?

almost seems like Glass Half Empty?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The reports were that we are looking to appoint the next manager before the season is over, that doesn't mean they would take over straight away, but be in pleace ready to go rather than waiting for the season to be over before announcing who we are getting.

Chairman Steve

Of course Ralf’s days are numbered because he’s a fecking interim manager who will most likely move upstairs come the summer! :lol:

hungrywing

It would just be a typical United move for a bunch of bankers and businessmen to go for Poch and completely ignore the opinion of a vastly experienced football man like Ralf Rangnick. Why did they bring him in as a consultant? If not to listen to his advice on football matters as they’ve fecked up every major decision in that department over the last 8 years.
Hopefully Ralf wins this battle
Again, the caf (or places like it) can help in that regard.

Despite several explanations, there is still a very poor understanding - or simple ignorance (although it's likely closer to physical incapability of comprehending) - that the Glazer spawn are extremely stupid (relative to those in the top echelons) and in the process of 'coming out of Woodward's shadow'.

Thus, it's possible for fan-oriented entities to influence their opinion.

Keep up with the polls, etc - it's very possible that the last one contributed to them going for Ralf instead of Poch right away.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So only one of the four title winning managers before ten Hag went on to have a great career (van Gaal), the other were decent at best.

This is not a good indicator to prove that ten Hag will be a great manager in a different league (I do think he will, but based on his style of play and CL performances, not based on his league titles).
Now do it based on UCL performance and not just the league...

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I heard from a friend of a cousins friends brother that Brendan Rodgers went to buy a new suit for an "important interview" last week. Apparently he bought a red tie, matching socks and went for a tan.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I also think it is worth noting how ETH has a few players performing at a higher level than they have ever done before.

There was very few indications that Haller would ever be able to perform at the level he has in the CL this season. The same was the case with Tadic. These are two players that at a relatively high age looked average in the PL, but who went on to dominate in the CL.

I also think it has been a similar case with a few of the players that left. Neither Frenkie, de Ligt, Ziyech or Donny has been able to replicate the same level or form at their new clubs. Donny a complete flop and Ziyech a player Chelsea has tried offloading already. Frenkie and de Ligt has fared better, but comparing their stats from Statsbomb (fbref) from that CL-spell to what they have done later it feels evident that they played «out of their skin».

It reminds me a bit of how players who was successful under Klopp struggled later (Gotze, Sahin, Kagawa).

Crick

I heard from a friend of a cousins friends brother that Brendan Rodgers went to buy a new suit for an "important interview" last week. Apparently he bought a red tie, matching socks and went for a tan.
Auditioning to play Ron Atkinson in a new film about his time as United manager?

Lee565

If ragnick is allowed to genuinely work his magic like he did at other clubs in his consultancy role and we start to get our act together behind the scenes then I don't think hiring potter would be a bad choice if all he has to worry about is coaching the team and his style would be a smooth transition from what ragnick is trying to implement.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
There's no manager in world football, past or present that can get this squad playing great football. Talent wise it seems a pretty good squad but there's something bigger at play that I don't believe can be fixed by simply appointing a great manager. Whether that's lack of squad togetherness because of cliques/egos, a lack of motivation because too many are mercenaries deep down, or that mentally they don't have what it takes to be at a big club. I would say it's probably all three of those things in different players, so I don't know how you begin to figure out which ones need to be moved on and which ones could be salvaged. Just as Impossible as solving the problems with the squad is, is finding a manager to do it. It's going to be a long and expensive road that's for sure.
Truth bombs, you just carpet bombed the caf with them.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It would just be a typical United move for a bunch of bankers and businessmen to go for Poch and completely ignore the opinion of a vastly experienced football man like Ralf Rangnick. Why did they bring him in as a consultant? If not to listen to his advice on football matters as they’ve fecked up every major decision in that department over the last 8 years.
We will continue to be shite till the time accountants are making footballing decisions.

Woodword making footballing decisions is as ridiculous as evra making administrative/commercial decisions. Try making evra the ceo of utd and see what happens, alternatively no matter how batshit evra can be he'll still make better decisions than woodward on the football side of things.

Unless rangnick or any other football person is given actual control nothing good will happen.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We will continue to be shite till the time accountants are making footballing decisions.

Woodword making footballing decisions is as ridiculous as evra making administrative/commercial decisions. Try making evra the ceo of utd and see what happens, alternatively no matter how batshit evra can be he'll still make better decisions than woodward on the football side of things.

Unless rangnick or any other football person is given actual control nothing good will happen.
If we had brought in a Defensive midfielder in the summer, Ronaldo or not, would we be in the position we are in now?
The scum that run the club have only ever been interested in money.
If they do not buy a good DM this window, we will keep drifting down the table.
Then wait for our lads to protest/riot.

Of course the numpties will blame Ralf.

Telsim

We should go all in for Potter once Ten Hag turns us down. Either him or stick with Ralf until after the World Cup. Then go for Mancini or Enrique. Best scenario imo.

Xaviboy

New manager wil come in where Lingard, Pogba, Martial, Cavani, Mata, Matic and VDB & Henderson may all be off the wage bill.

Think Ronaldo goes if we finish outside top 4 which looks likley with way were playing.

Tough job ahead for whoever is the manager.

Better get use to battling it out with Brighton, Leicester, Wolves for the middle of the table.

Kaos

I don't mind whether its ETH, Potter or Poch as long as the new manager is actually given a blank slate to build a squad in their image and allowed to sign or bin off players as they please.

I don't think any of those managers would be successful if they're forced to shoehorn Maguire, Rashford and Pogba into their teams to placate the marketing honchos, while not given enough backing to sign the type of players that would suit their profile.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
“I want to work for an organization with a clear philosophy, attainable ambitions and honest people. If I don’t have that idea, I don’t start it. The last thing I want is to look over my shoulder to make sure they don’t shoot me in the back.”- Erik Ten Hag

Red_toad

“I want to work for an organization with a clear philosophy, attainable ambitions and honest people. If I don’t have that idea, I don’t start it. The last thing I want is to look over my shoulder to make sure they don’t shoot me in the back.”- Erik Ten Hag
:boring:

saivet

I don't think so. We will a have pretty new structure with Rangick, Murtough, Fletcher and Arnold the important figures, whether they have a clear philosophy is not clear but there is the potential they can demonstrate one to him.

I think United have been relatively lenient with managers to be honest that he wouldn't need to worry about getting sacked prematurely.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think so. We will a have pretty new structure with Rangick, Murtough, Fletcher and Arnold the important figures, whether they have a clear philosophy is not clear but there is the potential they can demonstrate one to him.

I think United have been relatively lenient with managers to be honest that he wouldn't need to worry about getting sacked prematurely.
I think he was referring to the players in the last sentence

Member 101269

The only way Rangnick goes before the season end is if we have his successor in place. There is absolutely no way player power pushes him out. I mean we also gave him a two year consultancy contract after this interim role.

If united were to push him out before the end of the season then we may all as well pack up and go home. I would lose all hope entirely. What little there is left actually.
Some of us did when Ole was in charge we packed up and left with 30 minutes to go before the game ended. Right now I am fuming at what is going on, those players don't deserve my valuable time.

Ogaranya

Pochettino and Ten hag can't tame these players and handle the pressure.

Mancini, Conte , Enrique, Allegri type is needed now to drain the swamp for a short period and then pave way for the likes of Ten Hag and Poch.

Last edited:

Chicharo

We should go all in for Potter once Ten Hag turns us down. Either him or stick with Ralf until after the World Cup. Then go for Mancini or Enrique. Best scenario imo.
Mancini might be available in the summer, Italy have yet to qualify for the WC. But I don't think he would come anyway.
I really don't see many people running for manager of the club surrounded with such a toxic atmosphere, owned by the people who don't give a shit about the results and which literally have at least 10 players who are either not good enough, beyond their peak, or want to leave.
Ten Hag has successfully built his reputation in Ajax, I doubt he will want to come and start from scratch
So, it will probably be Potter...

fezzerUTD

Pochettino and Ten hag can't tame these players and handle the pressure.

Mancini, Conte , Enrique, Allegri type is needed now to drain the swamp for a short period and then pave way for the likes of Ten Hag and Poch.
You live in cloud cuckoo land.

AussieDevil

I cant see Tuchel lasting at Chelsea, I think he becomes a viable option in the summer. ETH would still be my preference but if it’s not him and Tuchel is available then I’d definitely look his way

Satsuma United

My british option is Graham Potter.

My foreign one is Marco Rose.

There is no need to look elsewhere, both are young, hungry and play great attacking football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Enrique would be my #1 choice if he wasn't coaching Spain until December.

And I agree with the above poster about Graham Potter.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lopetegui is a surprising candidate. Sure he has experience of managing Real Madrid but that ended in tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.