Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakuza_devils

There is no one better than Pep and Klopp at the moment. We can get the next available best manager in Tuchel, Nagelsmann, ETH, Poch or Enrique.

With our squad we are nowhere near to challenge. Whoever takes the manager roles in the summer may need another at least 2 to 3 years to build the team to be able to challenge Pep and Klopp.

Yesterday was clear as day that it was men against boys.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Our illustrious board is aware that their precious Pochettino used an interpreter for a while, right? Nah, I doubt they are aware of anything. Like, what is this - the 80s? I wouldn't be surprised if the leeches don't want to spend money on an interpreter.
What is it with so many of your fans thinking everything is about the Glazers being tight with money? They’re not. The issue is mind blowing incompetence in the people they hire to run the club, which leads to all the awful recruitment at first-team level. There’s people who know their stuff on here who stick up for Murtough, but he looks like another one to me. Hired Rangnick for a short-term job, will end up having to pay him up for the 2-year consultancy, and has hung him out to dry until that point comes. He looks like another one who isn’t good enough, and remember he was the Football Director when they went out and re-signed Ronaldo.

The Glazers spending is not United’s biggest problem, is it?

Telsim

What is it with so many of your fans thinking everything is about the Glazers being tight with money? They’re not. The issue is mind blowing incompetence in the people they hire to run the club, which leads to all the awful recruitment at first-team level. There’s people who know their stuff on here who stick up for Murtough, but he looks like another one to me. Hired Rangnick for a short-term job, will end up having to pay him up for the 2-year consultancy, and has hung him out to dry until that point comes. He looks like another one who isn’t good enough, and remember he was the Football Director when they went out and re-signed Ronaldo.

The Glazers spending is not United’s biggest problem, is it?
The Glazers are United's biggest problem in everything they do. Spending, appointments inside the club, planning, everything.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The Glazers are United's biggest problem in everything they do. Spending, appointments, planning, everything.
Appointments and planning. Spending would be further down the list, wouldn’t it? Not arguing they’re not shit: They’re absolutely atrocious, obviously!

Yakuza_devils

Murtough need to prove that he is different from the old failed management.

He needs to identify the new manager quickly and sign his targets for him early in the window for him to build up the team fitness and train under his new style of play.

We don't want to be in a situation at the start of next season where we will all be here again giving excuses about players fitness and lack of preseason. It's tiring.

He has plenty of time to plan since Ole sacking. No more excuses, time to take action. We want to see real changes. No point just changing from Ed to Arnold and Murtough without any real results.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Those 2.5 years with Ole is turning out to be an absolute waste. We are basically back to where we were before we appointed him as interim. A squad that finished 2nd the previous season, missing out on top 4 in the current season and linked with Pochettino for a squad that needs a rebuild. This is 2019 all over again. feck me

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I still think it's a poisoned chalice for the next manager. With Pep and Klopp around we won't get anywhere near in the short term (2-3 years). By that time there will be a new manager on the block that everybody wants and Ten Hag or whoever will have lost some of their shine with the fans.

Yakuza_devils

For a start, I hope the new manager will appoint a fitness coach equivalent to what City is having now. I'm really impressed with their team fitness. City team look like they can run all day. If our team can run like them, this is already half the battle won to transform our team next season. Currently, our team can only run for 45 mins.

Revaulx

Honestly Gill's reputation compared to Woodward's is massively inflated imo because of Sir Alex. People just give him the benefit of the doubt because the team was winning titles and pretend he had anything to do with that.
The disastrous lack of a robust post-SAF transitional plan was 100% down to Gill as far as I can see, unless he was trying to put something in place and got thwarted by the Glazers.

As a result, Woodward inherited a shitshow. His continuing to make idiotic decisions for years afterwards doesn’t let him off the hook either.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think people need to understand that whoever the next manager is this mess isn't going to be sorted next season. No manager is going to come in and sort out a decade of bad ill-thought recruitment and 5 years of absolutely awful training. Were looking at least season to begin to sort out the cultural problems in the squad, at least a minimum of 2 seasons of quality training round coaching of how to play possession football to start to bring us up to where other top teams are. Plus good/coherent recruitment during that time.

Then if the fans/board allow that without losing their nerve halfway through we may have a chance of becoming competitive again and that's only if we make a good managerial appointment.

AneRu

I think people need to understand that whoever the next manager is this mess isn't going to be sorted next season. No manager is going to come in and sort out a decade of bad ill-thought recruitment and 5 years of absolutely awful training. Were looking at least season to begin to sort out the cultural problems in the squad, at least a minimum of 2 seasons of quality training round coaching of how to play possession football to start to bring us up to where other top teams are. Plus good/coherent recruitment during that time.

Then if the fans/board allow that without losing their nerve halfway through we may have a chance of becoming competitive again and that's only if we make a good managerial appointment.
Whoever is the new manager the task isn't simple at all because it's not like he can sign a few players and lift the rest.

What we have at United is a combination of physically, technically and mentally flawed players on huge contracts that make it impossible to move them on coupled with a few of them employing armies of media handlers such that the process of moving them on won't be easy.

Imagine Rashford having the temerity to brief that he is thinking about leaving for gametime, he is not even embarrassed of what he has put out over the last year or so. Now imagine the hell that the new manager will go through if they dared to drop Maguire.

First thing we need to do is forget about top 4, short term goals and all the other stuff. Completely remove the toxic ones and hit rock bottom if we have to but at least to do it with young, hungry players on reasonable contracts. Scout for young players with potential and start and earnest rebuild not these hype driven wastes of money that Woodward oversaw.

There are enough good players to build a solid team around Europe and S. America. Arsenal have done it and they weren't exactly doing it under the rudder.

slored1

How do we expect to line up under Ten Hag if he were to come? 4-3-3?

De Gea/Henderson
Dalot - Lindelöf - Varane - Shaw
CM - CDM - Bruno?
Elanga - ST - Sancho

Something like this?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The fact good sources have said we want this sorted in the next few weeks, that Ten Hag is learning English, briefings that Pochetino is no longer number one and even Neville suggesting Ten Hag after saying it would be Poch for so long tells me it’s Ten Hag. Huge risk but high reward if it comes off. Exciting stuff.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Whoever we get we're probably going to start next season as 6th favourites for the league. Good luck to anyone trying to sort this mess out.

Greck

After yesterday I'm ready for ETH. No one is beating City without a system that can rival Pep's and ETH's is the closest.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Based on recent reports, Rangnick has not been asked his opinion on the new manager selection. He was also not sure of the details of his "consultancy" roles. Hence, it's very likely that he is only appointed for 6 months and not the "laying foundation and continuity" planning that the fans hope for.

I thought many here said that Murtough is the proper football man and under him we will revamp the football structure. But looks like these shits are still happening under him too. There is no proper communication, planning, structure and style of play.
Yeah, makes sense that Murtough wouldn't ask for Rangnick's opinion now that he knows the club and the players.... some solid reports that

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Yeah, makes sense that Murtough wouldn't ask for Rangnick's opinion now that he knows the club and the players.... some solid reports that
Not sure how much more solid than Rangnick himself actually repeatedly stating so in public you expect information to get.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not sure how much more solid than Rangnick himself actually repeatedly stating so in public you expect information to get.
RR's communication is not always spot on, we saw that a few times this season. You cant tell me he does not exchange views with Fletcher for example who sits next to him all the time...

We Need Another Rebuild

Murtough is a huge admirer of RR he sought him out when he was in charge of reviving the academy.

He took a trip to Leipzig to pick his brains on how he runs the academy and was producing consistent players for the 1st team through the Redbull group.

RR saying he hasn't been consulted on the incoming manager, he probably hasn't yet as he still has to manage the team, he has probably had informal chats and until United narrow it down to 2 candidates as we can guess Poch & ETH.

Then Murtough will present all the data and information to RR asking who fits the vision & is the best candidate.

RR will speak about his future & discuss his future role once he has finished the season, as he can't exactly plan for the future while having to deal with the present.

All of the above is just a guess.

ETH is my number 1, but he's gonna have to be given time & actually allowed to sell whoever doesn't fit into his style.

Only time will tell if Murtough & Arnold are going to change things or more of the same.

Trex

The reason I prefer Ten Hag over Pochettino, is the fact that Ten Hag could help Man Utd redefine its playing Identity, we need that more so for long term success, we need someone who would be against signing another AWB because his style is not progressive enough for what we should be utilizing (no ill feeling towards Awb), someone like Ten Hag isn't going to fancy McFred midfield, he would want ball players in the middle of the pitch, he would also demand the right work ethic from everyone.
Enough with pragmatism, we need a real student of the game to modernize "the United way", even if that doesn't bring immediate success, it will set the ground for future successes.

BorisManUtd

Whoever we get, ten Hag or Pochettino, I'll be happy as it will be a fresh start. But no way I'll be having high hopes, it'll probably be fight for top 4 again, at best. We look broken, witlh number of players that are probably going to leave in summer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Whoever takes on the job of our next manager needs to be one ballsy motherfecker, it’s a poisoned chalice.

You’d be mad to take on this club and group of players, it would ruin your career.
That is why they need to weed out the problem players. Get in ones willing to listen, learn and want to improve.

L1nk

At this point it should be, yes we should do our due dilligence but aside from them who else would be a good candidate? Others like Marco Rose aren't doing as well as hoped, Enrique is a good shout but won't leave the Spanish NT when we need him to, Rodgers no thanks, Zidane seemingly doesn't want it, Graham Potter is a decent shout but arguably a bigger risk than Poch and Ten Hag. So really who else is there?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Whoever is the new manager the task isn't simple at all because it's not like he can sign a few players and lift the rest.

What we have at United is a combination of physically, technically and mentally flawed players on huge contracts that make it impossible to move them on coupled with a few of them employing armies of media handlers such that the process of moving them on won't be easy.

Imagine Rashford having the temerity to brief that he is thinking about leaving for gametime, he is not even embarrassed of what he has put out over the last year or so. Now imagine the hell that the new manager will go through if they dared to drop Maguire.

First thing we need to do is forget about top 4, short term goals and all the other stuff. Completely remove the toxic ones and hit rock bottom if we have to but at least to do it with young, hungry players on reasonable contracts. Scout for young players with potential and start and earnest rebuild not these hype driven wastes of money that Woodward oversaw.

There are enough good players to build a solid team around Europe and S. America. Arsenal have done it and they weren't exactly doing it under the rudder.
Agreed in terms of short terms goals, the next manager needs to work on culture, training and tactics build a foundation then from there.

We can’t have what is currently happening of a manager trying to work with a squad and the briefing the press against him, or even what happened under van Gaal when he was trying to imprint a way of playing and the players just couldn’t do it so we abandoned it and went down the route 1 ( hoof it to Fellaini) in order to get top 4.

The chances are we arn’t gonna get top 4 next season or this season, We have to remember Klopp struggled at first Pep struggled at first, who ever comes in it’s gonna take a few years to sort this mess out.

AneRu

Agreed in terms of short terms goals, the next manager needs to work on culture, training and tactics build a foundation then from there.

We can’t have what is currently happening of a manager trying to work with a squad and the briefing the press against him, or even what happened under van Gaal when he was trying to imprint a way of playing and the players just couldn’t do it so we abandoned it and went down the route 1 ( hoof it to Fellaini) in order to get top 4.

The chances are we arn’t gonna get top 4 next season or this season, We have to remember Klopp struggled at first Pep struggled at first, who ever comes in it’s gonna take a few years to sort this mess out.
Yeah we gotta forgo top four for now and next season, boot out the lazy, toxic players and bring in hungry players. Imprint a style of play and stick with it even when we have to change the manager. This is how Barcelona were to rebuild in a space of six months, they already had players who could fit into their style.

SATA

Most signs are pointing to the club engaging with Ten Hag and simmering interest in Poch for whatever reasons or signals PSG are giving out. I’m happy with either but Ten Hag does gives a sense of intrigue in terms of what he can bring to this football club

Coops73

That is why they need to weed out the problem players. Get in ones willing to listen, learn and want to improve.
I hear ya! But we wouldn’t be able to put out a team at this rate.

The Glazers have got to fully back the manager to do that and I’m not sure they’re ever going to do that.

Orange Tree

I'll start to get excited when I see some of our drosses leaving.

If I hear the new manager want to give every players a chance and we give extensions to Lingard, Jones, Mata, etc I won't be optimistic regardless of who is coming.

Polar

The next manager wouldn’t be able to sort out everything the first season, and he will definitely experience difficult periods. I think we need a manager who has experience from working with strong and profiled players, is highly respected among United players; a manager the players want to please (and not get into trouble with).

I’m afraid we throw Ten Haag into wrong weight class if we appoint him.

I hope we go for Poch. He is a no brainer:
  • Very motivated for the job
  • Known for both developing players and entertaining football (THFC)
  • Knows the league (THFC)
  • Experience from handling great profiles and world class players (PSG)
  • Used to high expectations (PSG)

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Looking at the number of deficiencies with Manchester United, there is a strong argument for a comprehensive rebuild of the squad. And to do that effectively requires someone with the necessary intelligence, football brain and strategic thinking. While I would be perfectly happy with Porch, I am still very much of the view that Gareth Southgate is one of the few people with those necessary qualities.
In his work with the England football setup, he has shown that he is able to understand how to restructure and transform an underperforming mess into one that can compete with the best.
He has done this and made the national team one that players want to play in.

Utd7

If PSG REALLY want to keep Poch, then people worried about him selected over ten Hag can rest easy. PSG are notorious for playing hardball and keeping their own. We'll see if Leonardo's comments are just lip service. Perhaps they do sack Poch if they fail to advance deep in the CL and hire Zidane. I think it's more likely PSG keep Poch next season.

Also unless PSG lose this week to Madrid, Poch's own future at PSG will not be resolved within the "weeks" timeline United want to find a new manager. All signs poin to ten Hag.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Former Manchester United striker Louis Saha has expressed doubts about whether the current members of the United squad would know who Erik ten Hag actually is.

The Ajax head coach, along with Paris Saint-Germain chief Mauricio Pochettino, is currently one of the frontrunners to become the club's next permanent manager. The Dutchman has been sounded out by United as a leading candidate and is already proving to be a popular choice amongst the supporters.

Since landing the Ajax job in December 2017, he has put the Dutch giants back on the European football map. Whilst he has guided them to two domestic league titles, he also guided them to within seconds of the final of the Champions League in 2019.

Furthermore, Ajax have continued to impress in Europe this season, with Ten Hag's style of play and philosophy central to their achievements. Despite his recent achievements, former United striker Saha has his doubts about whether or not the 52-year-old could deliver the goods at Old Trafford.

"He has the quality for sure, the Dutch people are very knowledgeable about football," Saha told the Metro.

"But I'm sorry, it is a different animal. Ajax is a trampoline for big clubs. They are respected in world football but they are not in that league. This is not Milan or Real Madrid.

"I am sure that most of the players would not know him. Managing this club is a different thing. We have seen some big names come in and they didn't make it.

"Jose Mourinho is one of the biggest in world football, he brought results in terms of winning trophies but we claim it was an unsuccessful spell."

Whoever United do install as their next manager, it will be a decision that needs to be nailed to perfection. With that said, Saha believes Sir Alex Ferguson, who is reportedly a big fan of Pochettino, ought to be listened to when United come to make their final decision on who becomes Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's permanent successor.

The former United striker added: "If I am a board member or someone involved in this club I will always respect [Ferguson's opinion]. The only one who really has the right to give advice is that guy.

"He knows and understands the position better than anyone. He will definitely try to do the best in terms of that recruitment.

"We all make mistakes. This job is not easy, it is a new era, there are different types of players, different types of agents around them.

"It is a really tough position and Manchester United is a different animal compared to other clubs. I have great respect for Paris Saint-Germain and the job Mauricio Pochettino is doing and also did with Tottenham but United is a different animal.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The players are dumbwits, we know that Louis. They can do one if they don't know about one of their prospective managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.