Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
A coin toss is much better than someone whose limit you already know, we need to work to break into that top two and eventually win the lot but I feel that Pochettino didn't grow from the time he was a promising manager into what he could have been, now he is strumming the same pragmatic dog shit you see from other journeyman managers. United need to catch up with modern styles of play.
We don't know Pochs limits. He's younger than ETH and has decades left in his career.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Sorry lads, but its a sign of the times, that Man United fans are arguing over two managers, neither of whom have achieved a great deal.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
we don’t have much choice but to buy more than that with how this current squad is setup with contracts expiring and the ages of players. Or we won’t have enough players to even field a team next season!
Or we can rather get a manager who has a good philosophy, build a team for him and get these losers out slowly.

AneRu

This is just a bit silly, are you saying Mitchell was the reason Poch did so well? He didnt coach the side you know this right.

Also do you know that ETH is strongly dependent on Ajax recruitment and academy? Their DoF has been just as vital to the performance of the team as Paul Mitchell was for Spurs.
What is silly is you ignoring the importance of recruitment in a manager's performance, if you bring in rubbish despite all the coaching they will will sink you and the club, come on man we are eye witnesses to what poor recruitment can do to a club and here you are glossing over it just to suit your narrative?

It's a fact that bad signings nullify good coaching and Poch since he pushed Mitchell out did a lot of these and they eventually cost him his job. Let's not kid ourselves that it's not a factor when we all know what it can do due to Woodward's eight year long case study.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Poch was well admired and wanted when he was at spurs, I think his time at psg has made more fans not want him. Understandably so… you don’t see a clear style of play with him at psg although his spurs team played some beautiful stuff. With ten Haag, he gets his team consistently playing good, he makes average players a lot better, he’d be more of a risk because he’s never managed in the prem before but neither did pep or klopp before they joined the prem, they made there style of plays work and I think that’s what ten Haag will do. He has a winner mentality aswell, always demands 100% from his team and when there 3 goals up he wants the 4th and 5th. He’ll bring excitement to the prem and I’m not sure poch will have that same effect anymore.

jackal&hyde

If I'm in charge, I do what is necessary and bring in a proven winner with a strong personality: Zidane, Flick, maybe Enrique. No more dicking around with potential hipster options. Both ETH and Poch are more likely to succumb to pressure in whatever new project they will have and are essentially novice managers for this level.

This is where we'll see if the board has any ambition at all or are just looking for the cheaper options.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Would love to see Simeone. I love his passion, the way his players fight for him! I know he's not everyone's cup of tea with his shithouse tactics, but he's exactly what this club needs. And imagine him in the league against the likes of Klopp and Pep, he'd be worth it just for the shithouserry!

Judas

Open to offers
Would love to see Simeone. I love his passion, the way his players fight for him! I know he's not everyone's cup of tea with his shithouse tactics, but he's exactly what this club needs. And imagine him in the league against the likes of Klopp and Pep, he'd be worth it just for the shithouserry!
Amazing, after watching that filth last night I thought we'd never see a post like this again! Fair play if it's what you like.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I dont agree personally but I am a stick in the mud. Think its good how much better technically players in positions are and espcially in England. But jsut personal opinion, I think there is an obsession with wing backs going forard, false 9s, pivots, roles liek a 6 and an 8.

A lot of it is nothing new, its just an adaption or rename/rebrand of football before.

yes, DeGea isnt brilliant with his feet, but he isnt awful either, may not be progressive but he isnt regressive and he has kept us in many games with his saves, which is th emost important thing for me. Obviousloy he isnt goign or being replaced, but who would you even replace him with that makes a huge difference that way and is still quality? Oblak for example is often lauded and despite this season, quite rightly, but he isnt really a modern keeper with his feet either. All for Henderson going and replacing him with an exciting young keeper like Vandervrodt for example to challenge DeGea and maybe in the wau you want, but replace him and he is shite....come on now?
DDG would not be a massive problem with players in front of him who are comfortable on the ball. The goalkeepers who are good at passing from the back are given time to do it because their own defenders are not putting them under constant pressure.

Josh 76

Throw everything at Tuchel if we are serious about catching those two feckers!

Nickelodeon

Yes. If our idea of football is to stop playing football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What is silly is you ignoring the importance of recruitment in a manager's performance, if you bring in rubbish despite all the coaching they will will sink you and the club, come on man we are eye witnesses to what poor recruitment can do to a club and here you are glossing over it just to suit your narrative?

It's a fact that bad signings nullify good coaching and Poch since he pushed Mitchell out did a lot of these and they eventually cost him his job. Let's not kid ourselves that it's not a factor when we all know what it can do due to Woodward's eight year long case study.
I am getting sick and tired of posters so entrenched in their views that they fail to even read simple posts.

Go and find one post where I ignored the impact of Paul Mitchell when Poch was in charge.

All I said was he doesn't take all credit, he didn't coach the side. Recruitment isn't the only material factor, otherwise wed all be playing football manager for fecksake.

Also, show me where Poch pushed out Mitchell please?

DJ_21

Throw everything at Tuchel if we are serious about catching those two feckers!
Agreed. I really want us to get ten Haag but if there’s one person I’d want over him it’s tuchel. Considered a world class manager and knows the prem and has recently won the champions league. Tuchel or ten Haag for me.

DJ_21

Do we think that we’ll announce the new manager before the season ends or is it just going to be that they’ve picked someone out but won’t announce it until the end of the season? Will they have a deal agreed with the next manager? Can’t imagine us getting to the end of the season and then start interviewing managers during the summer when that’s going to waste time. We need the new manager to be starting ASAP so he can have a look at the squad and start targeting players he wants. If we already know who it’s going to be though then it would make things easier as they can be contacting each other over possible targets for next season.

jackal&hyde

I've never seen a fanbase on the caf so vehemently against a prospective manager as I have Poch.

I think it actually pips the Mourinho hiring by way of having a sect that are against him from day 1.
He does not have any history of winning and more so, succumbed spectacularly when coming close to glory (similar to our previous manager). There are major question marks on his leadership abilities and potential to adapt in critical situations; he lost the confidence of the team he build himself leaving them in relegation form and has an appalling transfer record. There are also strong points for him but the negative ones are there to see and you can only make so many excuses before patterns are in place. If we get him and fail, nobody will be surprised.

In Rainbows

We don't know Pochs limits. He's younger than ETH and has decades left in his career.
But he's been managing longer. Poch has gotten more opportunities in the top leagues. Therefore his limits are clearly more visible than ETH.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But he's been managing longer. Poch has gotten more opportunities in the top leagues. Therefore his limits are clearly more visible than ETH.
Not really, because hes 50 and can still grow as a manager. Hes been a big success in 3 out of the 4 clubs hes managed and exceeded expectation in them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He does not have any history of winning and more so, succumbed spectacularly when coming close to glory (similar to our previous manager). There are major question marks on his leadership abilities and potential to adapt in critical situations; he lost the confidence of the team he build himself leaving them in relegation form and has an appalling transfer record. There are also strong points for him but the negative ones are there to see and you can only make so many excuses before patterns are in place. If we get him and fail, nobody will be surprised.
Sure but the argument is him or ETH. Did ETH not lose to Poch's Spurs and to Chelsea and to Benfica when he was close to glory himself?

Poch has more bottle jobs on his CV than ETH sure. But hes also thrown himself in the fire to be tested.

lenny_1248

Whoever comes, the club needs to stop licking players' bumholes.
Every player knows that even if it does not work out for him, he can just down tools and wait for another manager.
That is why we should stay away from Poch whom these pathetic players want. Feck this half-measures. We need a complete rebuild.

Get Ten Hag. Give him 3 years. Do whatever he wants. Empower him.

Judas

Open to offers
Not really, because hes 50 and can still grow as a manager. Hes been a big success in 3 out of the 4 clubs hes managed and exceeded expectation in them.
Yeah in theory. In theory he could grow, or he could have already peaked. It's all a gamble really. Would you personally be excited by us hiring Poch?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah in theory. In theory he could grow, or he could have already peaked. It's all a gamble really. Would you personally be excited by us hiring Poch?
I prefer ETH for his style but I feel he is a bigger risk.

I am fine between the two on the sole condition they have full autonomy on squad training and tactics and aren't overridden by player ego.

I just dont enjoy the posts that say Poch has peaked. Also a lot of posters said Poch bottled the CL the minute he lost to a terrific Liverpool side but never say it looking back ETHs failures in Ajax knock outs. Neither cases were bottlers for me but at least be consistent.

Poch bottled PSG games 100% but he has enough goodwill in the bank from his work in previous clubs for me. Two of which were here in England where we know hes settled and where we know hre can make a strong impact from league form. We will need that with the top 4 race among Conte Pep Klopp and Tuchel.

Judas

Open to offers
I just think Poch's timing at Spurs was perfect, the makeup of the league, the state of the other top teams either in a mess or newly appointed managers just finding their feet. It couldn't have gone much better for him, and yet didn't quite get any of the jobs done beyond top 4.

ETH is by far the bigger risk though, but they're both a risk. I suppose for me Ten Hag represents a fresh start, where to me there's something stale about Poch, the inevitability of it all doesn't fill me with hope. It's felt like an unescapable managerial appointment for years.

jackal&hyde

Sure but the argument is him or ETH. Did ETH not lose to Poch's Spurs and to Chelsea and to Benfica when he was close to glory himself?

Poch has more bottle jobs on his CV than ETH sure. But hes also thrown himself in the fire to be tested.
I understand. My argument is that nether should be our focus. The Manchester United job should not be for managers to grow in but rather the so called best in class that are not at a huge club at the moment. So Zidane, Flick and Enrique. If we're not willing to do what it takes to bring in the best but rather flip the coin on potential, we deserve to be spurs 2.0 and be done calling ourselves as one of the biggest clubs in the World.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Mancini has the balls needed for this and should seriously be considered
Why do people keep saying this? The guy who won City their first title in 40 years isn't joining us in a million years. He's still a honourary member of Abu Dhabi isn't he?

Zero chance of it being Mancini.

croadyman

Agreed. I really want us to get ten Haag but if there’s one person I’d want over him it’s tuchel. Considered a world class manager and knows the prem and has recently won the champions league. Tuchel or ten Haag for me.
Yeah I would take Tuchel over Ten Hag, however as have said many times don't see him leaving

pascell

After ten hag failed to beat the underdog in benefica and Ralf ragnick doing incredibly poorly, the smartest decision has to be Pochettino. If anyone analyzed his performance against real Madrid, his team dominated them when you put both tie together collectively. His team played with a lot of swagger only for their defenders to gift real Madrid the goals. He did this with attackers who don't defender well off the ball and two who barely contribute in terms of output.
You list everything that Pochettino did well because you probably think he has golden balls. Yet you never said anything he did wrong, choked a 2-0 aggregate lead, despite playing with "lots of swagger" did they said swagger when choking? Nope, didn't think so.

You then blame the defenders for gifting the goals, that's because Pochettino clearly hasn't trained them to play when put under pressure, a huge tactical hole in his team.

Then the blame heads over to the attackers not defending, its a huge CL tie, one that Pochettino clearly couldn't motivate his attackers to put in a bit more legwork. Why can't he motivate them? Because he's meek, you see him on the touchline and the looks like he has zero control of that dressing room, no authority whatsoever.

The United players would walk all over him, they need an authoritve figure to cull those that aren't good enough, those that need their egos stroking and need pandering to, Pochettino isn't that guy.

RoyH1

Yeah I would take Tuchel over Ten Hag, however as have said many times don't see him leaving
I don't think so either. I think he stays out of a sense of responsibility for the players/lower level staff.

goptun

We need someone that has proven to at least some degree that they can navigate a squad rebuild. For that reason alone, Ten Hag has to be the frontrunner over the likes of Poch.

Flexdegea

ETH has shown he can keep Ajax competitive at European level despite losing his best players and doing small rebuilds almost on an annual basis.

Any manager can stumble upon a winning formula but a good manager can change it up and remain competitive when that winning formula no longer works or is taken away.

This is one of the main selling points for me.

He shown the ability to lose nearly most the first team, and make them competitive again. Shows a ability to get the max of players they've got and can go and get without insane spending.

Always remember Poch absolutely struggling with spurs when he got max out of them, and his signing were underwhelming. When I look at what we got at the moment, I think the only way to fix our squad is bringing in youth, and signing hidden gems, which Hag will be the perfect man to get the max from them.

Josh 76

Why do people keep saying this? The guy who won City their first title in 40 years isn't joining us in a million years. He's still a honourary member of Abu Dhabi isn't he?

Zero chance of it being Mancini.
City sacked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.