Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Walking Ligue 1 is now an accomplishment?

He also failed to win the same league.
Poch had better result since taken over from Tuchel in that season and if Pochettino was in charge of that season from the beginning, he could have won it. Tuchel has more blame in failing to win the same league as poch did. But then again, we saw how tuchel is doing at Chelsea, so it can only strengthen the argument to go for poch. Walking ligue 1 is an accomplishment because it is more competitive than the Eredevisie, Portuguese league and other second tier league in Europe.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
This current Ajax team has loads of talented players. He had to rebuild the squad and he did a good job but with the exception of Nunez none of those Benfica players would geti into Ajax's team. Antony, Gravenberch and Mazraoui are very highly regarded and wanted by a number of top clubs across Europe. Tadic, Blind, Berguis and Haller are also very good players who add experience. They have one of the top keepers in Europe too (who's already agreed to join Inter next season). I like the way ETH gets his teams to play, but this doesn't feel like a good choice for a Utd manager to me.
Look at the Ajax team from 2019. Many were highly rated but not many have done much since leaving Ajax. Many have flopped.

Eddy_JukeZ

Poch had better result since taken over from Tuchel and if Pochettino was in charge of that season from the beginning, he could have won it. Tuchel has more blame in failing to win the same league as poch did. But then again, we saw how tuchel is doing at Chelsea, so it can only strengthen the argument to go for poch.

I am pretty sure their PPG tally for that season is the exact same or very very similar.

Pochettino bottled winning the league last season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It doesn't matter who the next coach is. The club is so hypnotized by the star players that the second they want shot of the coach he'll be out. It'll be two decent years then collapse all over. Dunno what people are expecting. I reckon 8th place is a realistic expectation regardless of the manager.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It doesn't matter who the next coach is. The club is so hypnotized by the star players that the second they want shot of the coach he'll be out. It'll be two decent years then collapse all over. Dunno what people are expecting. I reckon 8th place is a realistic expectation regardless of the manager.
Until the snakepit is cleared out no manager can succeed.

Kaos

How can anyone compare losing to benefica and losing to real Madrid, with believing the benefica loss was less worse of the two? I am a fan if ten hag, but people on here needs to take of their "think ten hag is the next guardiola," glasses. Eth is only two points behind psv in a much weaker league as well. Eth might have a good philosophy, but until he prove he is able to do well in a tougher league, then he will be a gamble for any big club, unlike Pochettino who has already done well at a big club and managed ego at psg and went to the semi final of the champion league and is about to walk the league over there in just two years there.
Can you stop spreading these half-truths. The Dutch league isn't weaker than the French league - the reason Ajax are 2 points ahead of PSG (despite a GD of +66) is because PSV are also having a fantastic season. PSG on the other hand have a free run in their league (and yet Poch still managed to feck that up last season). And you talk about Poch like he's been a hit at PSG - news flash - they play shit football, he's got the worst win percentage out of any recent manager there, he isn't really controlling the egos and their fans want him out. You need to tame this bizarre Poch fetish, its getting embarrassing at this point.

Dazzmondo

But they are. The whole "he is bossing the French league by 16 points, while ETH is barely staying ahead" is a been a narrative for quiet a while

And his best work was done when Mitchell was doing the recruitment at both Soton and Spurs. Look what happened as soon as he left and Poch was left holding the reigns by himself.

Ever since Mitchell left, Poch started his downward spiral. Coincidence? Tbf, I don't want United to find out.
You might have a decent point here, but would that really be an issue since Rangnick would essentially be serving the same role as Mitchell anyway? I mean that is the whole point of why we got Rangnick in a consultancy role isn't it? In my opinion most managers tend to be less talented at recruiting talent than a Director of Football or a scouting team whose whole purpose is to discover and recommend the best potential signings for their team, so this isn't unique to Poch and I think you could throw the exact same accusations at ETH since Ajax certainly has some of the best recruitment infrastructure in the entire world.

Eddy_JukeZ

Liverpool were looking shit until Klopp came in though.

An amazing manager changes things.

We haven't had 1 since SAF.

But we do have loads of problems. It's not 1 singular issue. It never was.

Amadaeus

I am pretty sure their PPG tally for that season is the exact same or very very similar.

Pochettino bottled winning the league last season.
As stated and even Netherlands supports on here will state as well, the Eredevisie is a weak league. Psv biggest signing only cost £1m and they have been plagued with injuries. Having the same ppg isn't a positive for eth in a league so poor. He should have a significant higher ppg. Poch had better result than tuchel when he took over, so he didn't bottle it. You can't blame poch and not blame tuchel as well who had a poorer result in that season

Eddy_JukeZ

As stated and even Netherlands supports on here will state as well, the Eredevisie is a weak league. Psv biggest signing only cost £1m and they have been plagued with injuries. Having the same ppg isn't a positive for eth in a league so poor. He should have a significant higher ppg. Poch had better result than tuchel when he took over, so he didn't bottle it. You can't blame poch and not blame tuchel as well who had a poorer result in that season
I'm talking about Tuchel and Poch having the same PPG in 20-21 Ligue 1. Pochettino came in and PSG were probably only 3 points behind Lille. Go and check.

I didn't talk about Ten Hag and Poch.

Btw, Ten Hag has clearly been better than Pochettino this season. It's not even close who's had the better managerial season.

Dazzmondo

Can you stop spreading these half-truths. The Dutch league isn't weaker than the French league - the reason Ajax are 2 points ahead of PSG (despite a GD of +66) is because PSV are also having a fantastic season. PSG on the other hand have a free run in their league (and yet Poch still managed to feck that up last season). And you talk about Poch like he's been a hit at PSG - news flash - they play shit football, he's got the worst win percentage out of any recent manager there, he isn't really controlling the egos and their fans want him out. You need to tame this bizarre Poch fetish, its getting embarrassing at this point.
I mean, the Eredivisie is miles worse than the French league. The real difference is the best 3-5 teams in the Eredivisie are of a closer standard than the best teams in Ligue 1, where PSG are absolutely miles ahead of the rest (with the exception of last season). All teams below the top 5 in the Eredivise are really dross, whereas there are a lot of teams in the bottom half of Ligue 1 that have some gems spread amongst their weaker players. I'd fancy the likes of Bordeaux, Metz and St Etienne to have a good chance against Vitesse who are 6th in the Eredivisie on 41 points.

Amadaeus

You are a Dutch supporter? A Dutch supported commented on my post awhile ago and agreed that the Eredevisie is at the weakest in has been. How do they play shite football? They only second to city to most possession and have a high xpg ratio. The French league is a physically demanding league and there are occassion where they didn't play well, but when you watch the likes of verratti, Messi, parades, neymar and mbappe play, you see some swagger and brilliant interplay. You will be more accurate with your post if you say they had shite finishing because that has been their downfall the whole season. And once again tuchel fecked up the league much more than poch last season

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Liverpool were looking shit until Klopp came in though.

An amazing manager changes things.

We haven't had 1 since SAF.

But we do have loads of problems. It's not 1 singular issue. It never was.
Klopp was empowered by the Liverpool board. He was able to decide the shape of his squad.

Liverpool didn't extend contracts of players Klopp didn't want to extend value. When Coutinho wanted out they didn't offer him £400k a week cos he was their star player.

You can't expect any coach to have the Klopp impact at United, cos the coach won't have Klopp power. At United the job of the coach is to babysit the star players, not make demands of them and drive them on.

Even if we get the right coach, as long as the players know they can down tools and get him sacked he will never command them. His tactics, methods, they won't be stuff they have to do. They'll be stuff they can do if they feel like it.

The whole dynamic of the club has to change for us to be successful.

Caesar2290

You might have a decent point here, but would that really be an issue since Rangnick would essentially be serving the same role as Mitchell anyway? I mean that is the whole point of why we got Rangnick in a consultancy role isn't it? In my opinion most managers tend to be less talented at recruiting talent than a Director of Football or a scouting team whose whole purpose is to discover and recommend the best potential signings for their team, so this isn't unique to Poch and I think you could throw the exact same accusations at ETH since Ajax certainly has some of the best recruitment infrastructure in the entire world.
Yes, but ETH was Manager and DOF at Utrecht were he basically turned a bottom tier team into a Europa League team on negative net spend. You can read more down below.

As for Ragnick, I'm not sure what his role is. So far our structure is just being implemented and unlike the one at Spurs is just being turned online. I'd rather have a manager who knows how to be a Dof if necessary and what's required, than one that needs a 100% stable structure to coach his team.

Chairman Steve

ETH has shown he can keep Ajax competitive at European level despite losing his best players and doing small rebuilds almost on an annual basis.

Any manager can stumble upon a winning formula but a good manager can change it up and remain competitive when that winning formula no longer works or is taken away.

Amadaeus

I'm talking about Tuchel and Poch having the same PPG in 20-21 Ligue 1. Pochettino came in and PSG were probably only 3 points behind Lille. Go and check.

I didn't talk about Ten Hag and Poch.

Btw, Ten Hag has clearly been better than Pochettino this season. It's not even close who's had the better managerial season.
If tuchel and poch had the same ppg, how is poch to blame for the league last season and not tuchel? Pochettino had more victories and just a overview of the games they played showed that. If poch in charge in the beginning of the season and tuchel came in, would you say poch or tuchel bottle the league if the same result happened?

Eth has not been better than poch this season. Poch is walking the league and eth is struggling in a very weak league. Eth lost to an underdog in benefica as well. So, I don't know how eth is better this season.

Eddy_JukeZ

If tuchel and poch had the same ppg, how is poch to blame for the league last season and not tuchel? Pochettino had more victories and just a overview of the games they played showed that. If poch in charge in the beginning of the season and tuchel came in, would you say poch or tuchel bottle the league if the same result happened?

Eth has not been better than poch this season. Poch is walking the league and eth is struggling in a very weak league. Eth lost to an underdog in benefica as well. So, I don't know how eth is better this season.
"ETH is struggling"

You have no shame :lol: :lol: :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
After tonight I'm all in on Simeone. I don't care about his style I just care he gets maximum effort from his players and he wins

Infra-red

After tonight I'm all in on Simeone. I don't care about his style I just care he gets maximum effort from his players and he wins
We're not winning anything any time soon. May as well at least play some decent, entertaining football, which would not happen with Simeone in charge.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yes, but ETH was Manager and DOF at Utrecht were he basically turned a bottom tier team into a Europa League team on negative net spend. You can read more down below.

As for Ragnick, I'm not sure what his role is. So far our structure is just being implemented and unlike the one at Spurs is just being turned online. I'd rather have a manager who knows how to be a Dof if necessary and what's required, than one that needs a 100% stable structure to coach his team.
By that token Graham Potter should be in with a shout. Take a look at his CV prior to Brighton. Plus he's displayed that he can get a really beloe average squad to more than hold their own in the PL, possibly being one of the better teams to watch in fact.

Dazzmondo

Tbh, whoever it is, I would prefer we get them in immediately, whether it's Poch, ETH or other. I don't want the manager starting in the summer because then they won't have enough time to figure out who fits their structure and who doesn't and we won't be able to make the signings we need. This would mean basically writing off next season before it even begins unless the very unlikely scenario of all our players adopting to the new managers philosophy immediately occurs. The season is over, get in the new manager now and pay whatever's needed ffs. If you want the best manager go and pay the money to get whoever you think that is. We can write this season off. Knowing it will probably be a tough start, we might lose but at least there's no pressure attached. Everybody realistically knows top 4 is impossible withstanding a comical collapse by Arsenal. This is when you want the teething process to occur, because make no mistake, pressure will be on immediately at the start of next season. People can say what they want now but 90% of the fanbase will want us challenging for the title again by August.

Bondi77

So it really it is a no brainer that it has to be Potter now as he is the only one that never flecked up in Europe!

Tarrou

you might be the most biased person on this site when it comes to Poch

it's between you and that bloke who thinks everyone else in the world has an agenda against Harry Maguire

croadyman

Tbf that can happen but ultimately neither Poch or Ten Hag are Pep, Klopp or Tuchel standard. We are just miles behind and have to go with someone. I'd still go with Ten Hag.
Should watch the Tuchel situation but not getting any sense he wants to leave Chelsea

copen1945

Both Pochettino and Ten Hag go out in CL, the two coaches being considered by United. United just cannot win at anything at the moment.

L1nk

Judging from the posts in this thread people were expecting our new manager to be someone who wins the CL this season?

croadyman

Love Scholes but what is he talking about?

All this side needs is a good coach, there is a good bunch of player, Ragnick not the answer, sick of people talkign about needing 6/7 and spending £200m.

Honestly, he backed Ole for three years even though his coaching was awful, salting |Ragnick after 20 games. We had a good tactical coach in Van de Gaal, a manager past his best by a mile but still a decent manager in Mourinho.

The problem Paul isnt the management, its the players! We actually played well this evening without creating much at all.

We have a squad of squad players, that is the problem, the recruitment has been absolutely dreadful by pretty much all the managers.

Stop saying this is a talented bunch of players and isntantly contradicting.....its not as good as the top two.

We have a quality keeper, outside of that, none of the full backs have done well over any sustained period of time, Varane is the only quality centre back we have, we avent a single central midfield player performance wise who would be playing for any top side, we laud Fernandes who has given the ball away consistently for a year now and compare him to Cantona, from a formidable attack our most consistent player is one just stepped out of the youth side and we are relying on two ageing strikers.

Yes there are some talented players on paper but ho wmany of them are performing anything other than sporadically....in a lot of cases, it is the individuals and there characters.

We need exactly what you are talkign against Paul. A manager that comes in with balls and clears our 10-15 players who are all on ridiculous money they are simply not earning, many of which want to go....good, get that shirt off your back, you are not worthy of it.

There are seven positions in our first eleven that need upgrading, so of coruse we need 6/7 signings, but we need to get the right players with ability, hunger and the right attitude.

This thread is about the next manager? Who? Ten Hag is flavour of the month and what has he actually shown? Pochetinno I like but is he THE man to take us forward, Im not so sure. Who else is there, older managers who would be the wrong options. Yet again its all about timing........we seriously screwed up yet again, not replacing Ole with Nagelsmann two years ago...he was the answer, jsut as Klopp was when Fergie retired.

Beign negative, I dont see the right man available this summer, some good managers like COnte dont fit for me, good coaches like Potter who I dont feel are ready for such a big challenge....But whoeever comes in, if they keep some of these current players they shouldnt and dont sign the right ones....they havent got a hope truly
Blame that bloody Toy Story puppet for costing us Klopp, will never forgive him for that adult version of Disneyland garbage

Crick

Just knew I would come in here tonight and find this comment. Simone is the definition of anti football and that second half from them was a disgrace. If that's what we would have to watch each week, I would rather give up watching football. Mourinho was bad enough but Simone is on another level of shithousery and I don't want him anywhere near us.

Utd's DNA is winning only by playing great football that entertains the crowd to make them happy after a hard week's work. It's the reason the club was founded. It's never winning at all costs, less possession than the opposition or defensive, counter attacking football. No to Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel, Poch and definitely no to Simeone. If you don't understand that why support this club? Support a club with a permenant underdog character, no matter how big they now are, like Atletico, Chelsea, Inter Milan, PSG, Arsenal, Everton or City who fans accept and revel in winning at any price.

Last edited:

Crick

The only positive I can take out of this week is it may speed up the process of us getting a new manager as both the favorites are going to have time for an interview now. We don't play for another 2 1/2 weeks, so the process may move forward now.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
With squad United have, I think managers like Ancelotti, Conte, Zidane are more suited.
Or ETH/Poch but judge him in his 3rd seasons with completely new players bar one or two max in the starting 11.

copen1945

Mancini has the balls needed for this and should seriously be considered
He isn't shiny and new, but United need to clear out the bulk of the squad. He, I think, should be able to do it. After him for two or three years, a shiny new toy.

AneRu

I agree but from this I see ETH as a coin toss. That scares me a lot more than the prospect of Poch managing us.

I am not sure if we can afford to take that risk. 5 years no trophy and all.
A coin toss is much better than someone whose limit you already know, we need to work to break into that top two and eventually win the lot but I feel that Pochettino didn't grow from the time he was a promising manager into what he could have been, now he is strumming the same pragmatic dog shit you see from other journeyman managers. United need to catch up with modern styles of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.