Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Says who? Because he's doing a decent job at Brighton where there is no pressure?

This club who ruin him. His hair would turn grey within minutes of having to appease our fanbase. It's a whole different world.

Potter isn't anywhere near ready for our club. Only reason Ole got the call was because he's lived it and knows us inside out otherwise he wouldn't have got the job either.

Potter would be a option for Spurs or someone like that. A team that wants to win the PL and CL won't go near him so why should we?
Spurs is the graveyard of managers. Someone like Potter should be wise enough to stir away from that shit hole. I don't know if Potter is ready for a club like ours but we're an easier club to manage then Spurs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Spurs is the graveyard of managers. Someone like Potter should be wise enough to stir away from that shit hole. I don't know if Potter is ready for a club like ours but we're an easier club to manage then Spurs.
Our club has been a circus since Fergie and Gill walked out. We are always one result away from a 'crisis'. It's certainly not an easy job at all.

Potter is just the new Eddie Howe. People were saying he's make a good top manager about 5 years ago and look at him now.

Brighton manager to Utd manager is not just a step up. It's way beyond that.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Says who? Because he's doing a decent job at Brighton where there is no pressure?

This club who ruin him. His hair would turn grey within minutes of having to appease our fanbase. It's a whole different world.

Potter isn't anywhere near ready for our club. Only reason Ole got the call was because he's lived it and knows us inside out otherwise he wouldn't have got the job either.

Potter would be a option for Spurs or someone like that. A team that wants to win the PL and CL won't go near him so why should we?
What pressure is there at United? Ole hasn’t won a trophy and he’s been here for a long time. We’re not Chelsea, we tend to give managers time to get stuck in.

JoaquinJoaquin

I didn't state Potter was ready for this club. I said he isn't a romantic choice, and is a much better manager than Ole which I fully believe.

Potter implements a nice style of football, and his teams play very structured. Pretty much the opposite of Ole. Potter has also shown improvement in each job he has took.

In one season Potter shown he could use 4-2-3-1, a 4-2-2-2, a 3-5-2, and a 3-4-3. Ole is scared to move from his 2 DM's.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
No idea too. Most of his achievements are from years ago so maybe people just forgot about him
Not done much of note since leaving City but he's bounced back with Italy. He's got a good thing going with the national team and I can't see much reason for him to leave until after the World Cup.

devilish

Our club has been a circus since Fergie and Gill walked out. We are always one result away from a 'crisis'. It's certainly not an easy job at all.

Potter is just the new Eddie Howe. People were saying he's make a good top manager about 5 years ago and look at him now.

United tend to back the manager far more then Spurs do. We have a better squad, our CEO is not Levi and our best player doesn't seem desperate to leave. So yes, Manchester United is currently an easier job then Spurs. Whether Potter is ready to take United's job is open to debate. Unlike Ole who still ended up our manager despite his disastrous stint at Cardiff, there seem to be a level of progression in Potter's managerial career.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Whatever. However I insist on what I said. We shouldn't be looking at managers managing in mickey mouse leagues were even the likes of Mclaren can go there, take a random side, and teach them how football is played. The gap between the two leagues are just too big. I'd say the same about the Scottish league, the Maltese league. Serie B and C, and the Championship so don't take that at heart.

Ten Hag should be allowed to move to an Everton like side first. If he does well then fair enough we should sign him up. Hopefully he'll do better then the other Ajax phenomenon De Boer who got sacked by Inter then by Palace at record time.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Whatever. However I insist on what I said. We shouldn't be looking at managers managing in mickey mouse leagues were even the likes of Mclaren can go there, take a random side, and teach them how football is played. The gap between the two leagues are just too big. I'd say the same about the Scottish league, the Maltese league. Serie B and C, and the Championship so don't take that at heart.

Ten Hag should be allowed to move to an Everton like side first. If he does well then fair enough we should sign him up. Hopefully he'll do better then the other Ajax phenomenon De Boer who got sacked by Inter then by Palace at record time.
Everton? This man was targeted by Spurs, Bayern and Barcelona

devilish

Everton? This man was targeted by Spurs, Bayern and Barcelona
Then he should move there. Let's hope he doesn't end up like the other Ajax phenomenon De Boer who was ushered out of Inter and then Palace at record time.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
United tend to back the manager far more then Spurs do. We have a better squad, our CEO is not Levi and our best player doesn't seem desperate to leave. So yes, Manchester United is currently an easier job then Spurs. Whether Potter is ready to take United's job is open to debate. Unlike Ole who still ended up our manager despite his disastrous stint at Cardiff, there seem to be a level of progression in Potter's managerial career.
Funnily enough, Ole's problem at Cardiff was player recruitment.That's one thing that has done consistently well at United.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Then he should move there. Let's hope he doesn't end up like the other Ajax phenomenon De Boer who was ushered out of Inter and then Palace at record time.
It's easy to say coaches with certain similarities will share the same demise. Conte could end up like Mourinho, Potter could end up like Moyes etc. Why do you keep mentioning that he can only work in Eredivisie a mickey mouse league and ignore he's tactics have also worked in champions league

Mickson

His only pedigree isn't Brighton (although he's doing a brilliant job there). He has been brilliant at every club and he is still relatively new in the game and Brighton was his first PL club. He is probably the best manager in the Swedish league in the last 20 years (if we compare with Ole and Molde, about the same level). The fact that he manage to win promotion in his first season with Ostersund, then taking them to a top 5 team in the league, and also took them to Europa League and progressed from the group stage (and won away at Arsenal) is simply an astonishing achievement, add to that his team played brilliantly. He was manager of the season every season and won it by a great margin. Context: The only team in Sweden who has been near that achievement in the last 30-40 years is Malmo and they have money (in CL this year btw). Ostersund was pretty much an amateur club before he took over and now they are back where they belong: helpless at the bottom of the table and will be relegated.

Ole and Molde get overstated here a lot. Yes, they hadn't won for a long time before he took over but they had the biggest economical resources in the league and spent a lot. Also, they were pretty poor when he eventually left and got better when under the new manager and still is, to this day, a top 3 team in Norway who plays in Europe once in a while.

mav_9me

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Philippe Clement. In a few weeks from now when they go toe to toe with Pep's City, everyone here will be talking about him.
Do you mind elaborating on him? I have no idea. Thank you.

devilish

It's easy to say coaches with certain similarities will share the same demise. Conte could end up like Mourinho, Potter could end up like Moyes etc. Why do you keep mentioning that he can only work in Eredivisie a mickey mouse league and ignore he's tactics have also worked in champions league
I never said that. I only said that United are in a delicate stage of their progression. We need to be careful not to give the job to someone whose got no clue what a top league look like and have no idea of the EPL whatsoever. The Dutch league is championship level and that's felt at managerial level as well. De Boer won 4 Dutch league titles as manager. He went to Inter and he was completely lost and out of depth. Seriously Inter would have been better off if they picked a random coach from the youth academy. Meanwhile an ancient LVG and Mclaren went there, they picked a random side, and they won the league title there. I won't be surprised if Ole goes there and he win the league title as well. Its that sort of league.

Last edited:

devilish

Funnily enough, Ole's problem at Cardiff was player recruitment.That's one thing that has done consistently well at United.
He also played it very safe at United. He bought either local players (AWB, Sancho, Maguire, James etc) or well renowned players (Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane).

kthanksbye

Do you mind elaborating on him? I have no idea. Thank you.
Watched Brugge play against PSG the other day, they played exactly how I want us to play, players on the same wavelength, no one stands still when they have the ball, overload the right side of the pitch and move the ball quickly to the left where they have one of their flair players playing. They allow him to get in 1v1 situations with his fullback, something we fail to do even though we have a few good dribblers in the lineup. When they lose the ball, they defend as a unit.
If they see an attacking pass, they make it, don't dwell on the ball much, this is how they were playing against PSG, they could've even won that game.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Is there an up and coming continental manager with a defined style of play?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I never said that. I only said that United are in a delicate stage of their progression. We need to be careful not to give the job to someone whose got no clue what a top league look like and have no idea of the EPL whatsoever. The Dutch league is championship level and that's felt at managerial level as well. De Boer won 4 Dutch league titles as manager. He went to Inter and he was completely lost and out of depth. Seriously Inter would have been better off if they picked a random coach from the youth academy. Meanwhile an ancient LVG and Mclaren went there, they picked a random side, and they won the league title there. I won't be surprised if Ole goes there and he win the league title as well. Its that sort of league.
Except he's faced the best teams from top leagues and Ajax still played well so I think he has a clue what a top league looks like. And Managers have succeded in the epl without prior knowledge

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He also played it very safe at United. He bought either local players (AWB, Sancho, Maguire, James etc) or well renowned players (Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane).
Sometimes, being conservative in purchases is alright, considering that the past two managers spent like drunken sailors on the first sight of land. He also went for Bellingham and Haaland before they became more prominent but lost out to Dortmund on both occasions.

passing-wind

It's a poor comparison because in the same regard Ole is a relegated Cardiff manager who transitioned to United.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Apart from the last minute goal can anyone explain what was so good about Potter/Brighton last night?

From what I've seen they were playing better last season, they've just had better results so far. But I doubt people are actually watching them, just looking at the table instead.

goptun

He won 3 CLs in a two horse race in la Liga? First of all; la liga is always a 3 horse race with atletico. Secondly, he won 3 CL in a row, which competes with every team in Europe. And he made Real Madrid into the best side in the world for 3 years. Great group of players, sure. But individual quality doesn't lead to success, maybe once you could call it a fluke even if it was the CL. But he won 3 CL in a row, and won the league twice in his 4.5 seasons in charge there. He's a great manager. You're looking for pedigree? There is no manager with more of it other than Pep (and he doesn't have as many CL wins despite managing for 3 times as long). It's funny you say Tuchel. Zidane has done a lot more in his managerial career than Tuchel has.
Taking on the job at Man Utd is a massive fecking ordeal and for some reason, I get the sense with Zidane that he probably wouldn't be arsed with the hassle. It's hard to imagine him anywhere outside of Juventus and Real Madrid. A fantastic record at Madrid but I agree with others that we need a manager committed to creating a United team that is defined by an identity and style of play that is relentlessly driven through by the manager. Is Zidane that man? He doesn't appear to be, although admittedly I don't know loads about his footballing philosophy when it comes to management. Conte is another one with a fantastic pedigree whose suitability you also have to question, albeit for different reasons.

The issue is that there isn't anyone realistically available who straddles that line between demonstrably successful (for a team like United) while having a vision and the know-how to implement said vision. We're going to have to compromise and take a risk.

LuckyScout78

At this moment and date. I vote for Antonio Conte. Zidane is available too. But i have a better feeling with Conte. After a close look and research of him. How he is as a person. About Conte mentality/fotball winning mentality. If he gets. His guts and energy. If he knows how to build a winning team.

After a close look. Yeah i think and believe Conte has what it demand and need to lead United to premier league title in the next 2-3 years.

Of course the quality of the players and teams should be in place. Beside his isolate experience and know how. I think like master chef. He has every ingredients to create a winning team.

Yeah. My vote go for Conte

And about Ole. Sorry I am norwegian citizenship too. But to be honest and straightforward. I think and believe Ole hasnt get the best out of his team yet. Before Rashford came back of course. Without Rashford. United should do better. And Ole have a central midfield where he has to solve. It is here and the reason. It will lead to United not winning premier league or ch.league. Ole is stuck to and trust Fred & McTom as cm duo. And i think it will be hard to him to change. Because i think Ole is to safe as person and manager. Should take more risk to add and play are super creative and and offensive nr.8. Beside one of Fred or Tom.

If not changing or solve cm problem. Then Ole and United will drive with car which is not on its max pontential. Like driving a Ferrari like a average car. Ole is drving to safe. Guts and dominate it more. No top guts no glury. And its where i think Conte has more guts and higher winning mentality than Ole.
Because if you set up Fred and McTom against Villa at home. Then you set up for counter attack. With 6 defensive players and 4 attacking players. That is what i call a safe line up. A save XI line up = A safe manager and person.

I just want and love a more dominate and attacking mind into the game. It is where it will hold United back from. Not go all the way. You can hope and depend on luck and Ronaldo every matches. You get to go out there and dominate.

Like i said. I think and hard to believe. That Ole will change from his trust on Fred & McTom. On most games. So the path that lead to Ole exit or not. I think its start from United and Ole cm problem. Maybe not a problem as getting top 4-6. But driving United car to win the premier league race. You get to guts, be more offensive, attacking and dominate minded. Ole trust and be his own failure too. Himself as his worst enemy. Trust, stuck and stubborness. Ability to change. To the better.

Last edited:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I like Brendan. He plays a nice style of football. He has been pretty successful everywhere he has been.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Our squad is full of beautiful human beings too.
Free loving on the free love freeway.

A few points about Brendan. He has exceeded expectations in practically every job he has had. He might be a bit David Brent but he is not a silly man. He always speaks with purpose and clarity, he never hangs his players out to dry and he appears to get on well with the owners.

Last edited:

jem

Has he though? I know it's always a question of how much control Ole has over transfers (often used to conveniently give him credit at times, and absolve him of blame at others,) but just looking at the signings, I'd say it's been average, especially considering the sums spent. 130 million on AWB and Maguire was excessive, in my opinion; Dan James was a punt that didn't work out. The following season was extremely underwhelming, particularly the signing of DVB. It's too early to judge this past summer, but the lack of a CDM buy is pretty glaring. The one unqualified success is of course Bruno.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Taking on the job at Man Utd is a massive fecking ordeal and for some reason, I get the sense with Zidane that he probably wouldn't be arsed with the hassle. It's hard to imagine him anywhere outside of Juventus and Real Madrid. A fantastic record at Madrid but I agree with others that we need a manager committed to creating a United team that is defined by an identity and style of play that is relentlessly driven through by the manager. Is Zidane that man? He doesn't appear to be, although admittedly I don't know loads about his footballing philosophy when it comes to management. Conte is another one with a fantastic pedigree whose suitability you also have to question, albeit for different reasons.

The issue is that there isn't anyone realistically available who straddles that line between demonstrably successful (for a team like United) while having a vision and the know-how to implement said vision. We're going to have to compromise and take a risk.
Why wouldn't he? Its not as big a job ad the Madrid job. The premier league is the dominant league in the world now, and he'd have Ronaldo, Varane and Pogba here to manage - all players he has some sort of positive relationship with. I think he would love the challenge and love having 3 key players that he already has a relationship with.

I think people are being too idealistic. They see Pep and Klopp achieve success and have a dream that someone like them can become our manager. The reality is that the majority of managers with that style also just aren't good enough for a top club and quite often flop at a big club. People might say Tuchel... but Tuchel also plays way too defensively that United fans would never be that happy with him. Realistically we will just keep getting normal managers and not try and shoot for gold with a ideologist that may or may not suit our wishes anyway. Which is fine. There is no reason for them to be any worse. People just think everyone falls on one end of the spectrum or the other, where it's either pure vibes or pure Pep/Klopp football, when there is a massive area in the middle where teams can be very well coached without needing to be absolutely set in their ways style wise.

Duncan the Great

As an example of Ole's tactical nous, he now has Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood all looking to play the central striker role. But how many wide players of any class has he got to provide decent balls into the box? Our so called wing-backs get forward okay but their deliveries leave a hell of a lot to be desired Even when winning the team still appears so unbalanced and seems to rely on bits of individual brilliance. Week in, week out we see Shaw and WB getting drawn in to the centre backs leaving wide open spaces down the flanks, and how many goals have we conceded at the back post with absolute no one covering. Yet nothing appears to be done to address these basic faults. What do they do in training compare new tattoos and fancy boots.
Then there are Ole's post match comments. All the goals against were offside and we were denied two or three sure fire pens, no real analysis of the unacceptable performances, which may account for the continued lack of improvement.
Has to go!

Infra-red

Mancini is an excellent coach, who seems to be very underrated for whatever reason.
He wouldn't leave the Italy job before the World Cup. If we are looking for a new manager come summer 2023, he could be a candidate, though. That is also the earliest I could realistically see Ole being replaced.

Lost bear

I couldn't stomach watching the man that brought city their Aguero moment manage us... sickening.
I wouldn’t care too much personally. I’ve always thought he was an excellent manager, and to have such style and competence on our team, after years of Ole’s mediocrity, would be so so good.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think we are some way off needing to look closely at a new manager despite the hysterics, however there are not a lot of candidates out there that inspire confidence.

Conte - no thanks

Rodgers - have a look at his European record before we even think about him having enough for this job

Potter - I like him a lot. It would be a risky move but no less risky than any other candidate

Ten Hag - Probably my preferred choice

Zidane - I just don't see him coming to the PL

Duncan the Great

Pity we didn't go for Simeone before he renewed his contract in July. I think he would have been a great fit and I believe the challenge at Utd would have really interested him.. Don't know about Mancini, good coach but not the right guy for me, and it seems he's settled into the national scene. Too big a club for Potter but Rogers is worth more consideration, Zidane a definite no-no imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.