Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That's not answering the question. Do you know for a fact that these managers you mention only came with a single assistant coach/coaching staff member and needed their respective clubs to source the rest of their staff? That's the pertinent question
Ah ok sorry, didn't realize the context!

Rooney1987

If Ornstein is correct (he usually is), Untied are speaking to managers now and want to announce in a few weeks, surely this rules Posh out. PSG always seem to want to save face and I can't see them letting United speak to him now or before they lost to Real. I know people will say they will want compensation fee but they don't care about a few mill, they'd rather want to fire him and United pick up the pieces. Letting a manager go to another big team while he's still employed in March as poor as results have been makes PSG look weak.

dubplate warrior

I think if United were to sign Pochettino up for a rebuilding job I'd probably take a break from watching us. I wouldn't have any hope, and whats the point in being a fan if you don't even have that?

Flexdegea

100% we aren't doing what half these journos are saying regarding about 2 to 4 managers in with a shout and wee still interviewing etc.

I think we have picked our man, and he is coming

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Surely Ten Hag doesn’t really have the CV for the United job? I know we’ve already been down the route of getting managers who have won the lot, and there are certain specific elements of his work at Ajax that make him really appealing. However, Poch’s CV is superior by some distance. He’s definitely leaving PSG this Summer so I think the board will go for him.

Betson

100% we aren't doing what half these journos are saying regarding about 2 to 4 managers in with a shout and wee still interviewing etc.

I think we have picked our man, and he is coming

If we have not zeroed in on who we want and already sounded them out with a view to them taking over in the very early days of the summer , then we really are a joke shop of a club.

Chairman Steve

Maybe we do just hire Mitchell for a role at the club and Ralf is just a Utd consultant that Murtough and Mitchell go too, probably because Murtough and certainly Mitchell would know what to do anyway.

Ralf will be 64 come June so he’s getting on. I can’t imagine he’ll want to be day to day too much, especially if Mitchell is appointed and Murtough is on the same page as him. There would essentially be two guys who can implement what he’d want to implement.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Surely Ten Hag doesn’t really have the CV for the United job? I know we’ve already been down the route of getting managers who have won the lot, and there are certain specific elements of his work at Ajax that make him really appealing. However, Poch’s CV is superior by some distance. He’s definitely leaving PSG this Summer so I think the board will go for him.
Do explain in what way Poch has the better CV?

Dazzmondo

I think if United were to sign Pochettino up for a rebuilding job I'd probably take a break from watching us. I wouldn't have any hope, and whats the point in being a fan if you don't even have that?
That's not what a fan is. A fan is someone who sticks with their team through the good times and the bad. You are not an actual fan obviously.

United in sin

That's not what a fan is. A fan is someone who sticks with their team through the good times and the bad. You are not an actual fan obviously.
Fans go with the wind, supporters endure the bad times and remain resolute and unwavering. Not to sound elitist but I wager a guess the poster is the former

RkkMan

Superior in what way?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Proven to be a good coach at multiple teams playing good football. Crucially, proven to be a good coach at multiple Premier League teams playing good football. Challenged for major honours as a PL manager. Excellent record at bringing through young talent. CL finalist.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ten Hag doesn’t have the cv for the job but poch does? Ten Hag can build teams, he’s worked with a lot less money. Competed in champions league. The guy loses his best players every season and still challenges for the league.

United in sin

Ten Hag doesn’t have the cv for the job but poch does? Ten Hag can build teams, he’s worked with a lot less money. Competed in champions league. The guy loses his best players every season and still challenges for the league.
Ten Hag plays youth but Ajax have always had a conveyor belt of talent. It will continue after him. He took over a golden generation at Ajax that played the EL final against United under Peter Bosz. Care to tell me what exact role he's played in furthering Ajax's youth development and team building/recruitment? He's a head coach, doesn't do much else. Did he build teams at his previous clubs? I'd love to hear about them. I know about his time at Utrecht and Bayern Munich II, and his coaching assignments at youth level at FC Twente. Maybe you can shed more light on teams he's built

Pochetinno has built teams and has developed a plethora of youth players who went on to have fine careers. His career didn't start at Spurs or PSG (which is the antithesis of roles he's taken prior).

For example consider Phillipe Coutinho, Harry Kane, Luke Shaw, Delle Alli, Harry Winks, Danny Rose, Kyle Walker, Kyle Walker-Peters, Nathaniel Clyne and Erik Dier. Poch played integral roles in their development and therefore has helped the English NT more than most can imagine. He built a reputation as a team builder who gives youth more than a chance

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/07/mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-youth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/jan/17/espanyol-la-liga-sid-lowe

He hasn't been afforded this at PSG which is why I consider it a strange choice of clubs for him to manage, but he probably got tired of waiting around.

Last edited:

Acquire Me

So the untested Ten Hag who has zero experience in management at a top European league - the Eridivesie isn't that - is favoured by fans in this poll. Sorry. He is a fashionable name with no substance. I'd rather have Moyes back than Ten Hag. I'd have had Conte yesterday. I'd have Hassenhuttl or Potter before Ten Hag.

Amusingly a prankster has put on Wikipedia that he will join Man Utd in the summer. Hahahaha. Please no.
Surly wum. If not; holy feck. You need to find out a lot more about ETH. It’s never going to be easy with us, but he got everything in the locker to make it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Of course, why pay attention to his most relevant, recent experience? Sounds like nonsense.
It will be, I wouldn't pay Melissa Reddy much heed, she's a Liverpool mouthpiece.

tomaldinho1

The sooner you all accept Hasenhuttl is next head coach, the easier it will be to digest when it happens.

Chairman Steve

Poch would be an underwhelming appointment at this point in my eyes. If he was appointed, I wouldn’t be as patient due to his Premier League provenness. I would expect him to hit the ground running to a degree.

Plus is he going to fully move to the Manchester area? Or is he going to pull the Jose stuff and live in a hotel while his family lives in London? That doesn’t sound like a man committed to being here. I heard his family is still in London despite him being 300 miles away in Paris.

Plus didn’t he say basically once that FA Cup and League Cup mean nothing to him? I know the teams he put out at Spurs definitely showed that but I’m sure he said something along those lines too. You can’t really say that when you’ve won nothing as a manager. If you’re regularly winning Premier League and/or Champions League, I’ll grant you leeway on that. The likes of Ferguson, Guardiola and Klopp can get away with it.

The only time he looked like he could be an elite manager, he had Kane and Son in his team. He now has Mbappe, Neymar and Messi and owners who could fecking buy anyone if they felt like it, and he’s underwhelming and there’s people saying that hes playing like a Solskjaer Utd team.

We have had a bad habit of hiring yesterdays men like LVG and Jose, and Poch feels like that.

Last edited:

United in sin

Of course, why pay attention to his most relevant, recent experience? Sounds like nonsense.
Why ignore his full resume and only consider his latest appointment which appears to be the outlier in his body of work? They should all be considered

Strootman's Finger

Proven to be a good coach at multiple teams playing good football. Crucially, proven to be a good coach at multiple Premier League teams playing good football. Challenged for major honours as a PL manager. Excellent record at bringing through young talent. CL finalist.
What does it say under trophies?

Flexdegea

Think it's trophies and winning things that Poch has........

I don't get this get Poch in, his got this class CV for this job.

Prob going to be 3 times sacked from 4 clubs in month time.

Total damaged goods in my opinion

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Really hope we don’t get the guy from Sevilla, he’s awful. Seen some of there recent games, had 0 shots on target against sociedad. And had no shots in the first halve against Rayo Vallecano, ended up having 3 shots all game that match. His teams aren’t that exciting to watch. There Boring! Let’s just make the shortlist with 2 people. Ten Hag or Enrique. That would be the best shortlist.

United in sin

What does it say under trophies?
Frank De Boer won 4 back to back Eredivisie titles with Ajax from 2010/2014 and got sacked at Crystal Palace after losing his first four games. How impressive is a Dutch league title especially for a club like Ajax which is easily worth twice as much as it's closest competitors PSV and Feynoord and several times over the rest of the league?

He also got sacked at Atlanta United haha. Solskjaer won trophies too. Are they better coaches than Pochettino? What other metrics are you going by?

L1nk

Didn't he have an absolutely abysmal record against all the top teams in the league when he was here? Against the 'Big 6'

"Pochettino has played a total of 67 games against these four big teams but has only won 19 times in these matches.

This puts the Argentine with a win percentage of only 28%"

If the club genuinely see's this record and thinks he is what we need to compete against the top teams they are more useless and incompetent than I thought. Many reasons to potentially bring in Pochettino, his record against the big teams is absolutely not one of them

Strootman's Finger

Frank De Boer won 4 back to back Eredivisie titles with Ajax from 2010/2014 and got sacked at Crystal Palace after losing his first four games.

He also got sacked at Atlanta United haha. Solskjaer won trophies too. Are they better coaches than Pochettino? What other metrics are you going by?
What does that have to do with Pochettino having won precisely feck all in his entire career?

Status
Not open for further replies.