Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyScout78

Like Conte need Kante and Rudiger to succeed and need some really good players at Inter to succeed. Withouth them. At Spurs, Conte need a lot of time to succeed. Same abilities and qualities required and needed at Spurs. If Conte want to succeed again with Spurs.
Managers, players, the club and the fans are mutual depend on each others.

So If i United and hiring Ten Hag. Then i will ask him under the interview. If he can convince and bring with him of Ajax players most key and important players to join him.
This is the biggest reason of all football clubs fail when they hire and though isolate the manager alone will bring success to the club. But the truth is. The managers had great and important players/factors to bring the manager and club success. Conte, Mourinho or whoever.

And with the Ajax squad and regular XI starting. Even like above. All XI are important. But if you it is a player that will strength and improve United XI and key player for Ten Hag era at United. I think that player would be Lisandro Martinez. Why?
Because is involving with the ball a lot. Dictate and spread the ball around. Most of Ajax build up start from that.

I link from whoscored showing how much ball touch he had and success passes:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/340105/Show/Lisandro-Martínez

In the league : AvP : 81. PS : 88%. Long ball 5.4. Avg tackling 1,5 -2. Inter : 1.5 -2
In Ch.league : AvP: 87. PS: 91 % Long ball : 5

+ Compare to a top quality CB that dictate the ball a lot is Van Dijk for Liverpool:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/95408/Show/Virgil-van-Dijk

Van Dijk : In the league: Avp 76.7. PS : 89%. Long ball: 5
In. Ch.league: 79.2. P.S : 90.7 % . Long Ball: 7.2

In common with both of them and what i like about them are. Both of the varying with short and long passes. When its right and effience with long passes they do it. And when its right to play to trough the midfield they do it. They are not locked in one passing style, but with are most effience during different situations. Its calling decision making.

So with the comparison with one of the CB out there in Van Dijk. Martinez abiliy with dictating and build up the attack is up there with the best CB in the game. Martinez left foot is really precise and good with the ball.
And if Ten Hag is coming and can bring a really quick and good RW with a really good end product like Raphinha. I can see a dangerous relation and way to score between Martinez to Raphinha. Like this:

Martinez ----------> Long diagonal ball to --------> Raphinha = set up for a quick counter attack against a high back line like City and Liverpool or play over the first press of the opponent team, theirs first pressing line. We have seen some diagonal passes/trough passes from Lindelof to Rashford. From right and more to left. With Martinez it will be from left CB to RW. Then opponent will fear of it and be aware of it.

And back to Ten Hag. Like i have said earlier. He knows how. He knows that CF are depend on really good consistent service. So when he bought a low confidence with Haller from West Ham. He knew he had to buy a top quality playmaker to feed Haller with passes. So it end up like this at Ajax:

Tadic -------------> precise crosses and passes -------> to CF Haller.

Its about. How to make Haller good?Of course the right answer is = top consistent playmaker.

When you see those things above. You are seeing the bigger picture. The relations between players = the collective. A conistent strong collective = A conistent good team.

If you see this this. Then you know how to build conistent good football team, special in the build up and attack. You knows which ingredients and factors/reason that will lead to the end product. Which is scoring more goals the opponent teams = to win the match.

Conclusion and sum up: That are the reasons why i voted for Ten Hag. And hopefully he can bring Lisandro Martinez with him to United too. I voted borth Ten Hag & Lisandro Martinez for United.

Potential defend line up with Ten Hag:

Bissaka - Varane - Martinez - Shaw

Again. When United hire a manager. United shall take a closer look and analyze Ten Hag success. The reason that lead to Ten Hag success = Ajax XI and squad too. Closely. Not Ten Hag isolate. To avoid it stand in the way to see the bigger picture :

United got the masterchef , but not all the important and key ingredients = to lead to a perfect meal/result. In football winning matches. Conte and Mourinho have been examples and whoever.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Nicky Butt “United need stability.They can’t keep having interim managers or learners in very powerful positions. They need people who’ve been there, seen it and done it.

“I’d go all-out to get Mauricio Pochettino as manager. He’s proven in the Premier League, he’s young and enthusiastic, his style of play would suit United and his backroom staff seem switched on. I met him a couple of times at Spurs’ training ground and had lunch. You’d want to play for him.”

Uuuurrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Nicky Butt “United need stability.They can’t keep having interim managers or learners in very powerful positions. They need people who’ve been there, seen it and done it.

“I’d go all-out to get Mauricio Pochettino as manager. He’s proven in the Premier League, he’s young and enthusiastic, his style of play would suit United and his backroom staff seem switched on. I met him a couple of times at Spurs’ training ground and had lunch. You’d want to play for him.”

No "PL Proven manager" has won the PL I don't think so not sure of it's value even if it's true

Santos J

Hopefully the extent of the Lopetegui conversation was "Hi Julen, do you have Luis Enrique's number?"

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

He's been there, seen it, but faked doing it.

Telsim

I feel like I'm living in a separate reality. Pochettino managed in England for 6 years and won absolutely nothing. Not just the Premier League. Nothing. How does that in any way, shape or form make him a PL proven manager?

We Need Another Rebuild

ETH will be the new manager that seems to be the briefing from reliable sources.

If we only interviewed one person what happens if ETH is a disaster?

I don't think he will but it is possible, by that time Enrique will have managed at the WC and maybe fancies taking up the vacancy, if we interview even informally just to know what he requires and type of profile he looks for.

His style is similar to ETH not as direct but a similar profile so he could be being lined up as a potential future replacement.

Also AJAX are going for the double they or ETH won't want his future to derail that.

It will be announced when it is announced, some of you need to stop being so impatient, if there was no stories i would be but we are clearly taking our time to select the right candidate.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

Shut up Nicky Butt.

MUFC OK

[

These things are all inter-linked. I don't see how any manager can achieve something at Utd if the focus of the club is not football success.

I do agree that Ferguson and ex-players have proved themselves to be utterly hopeless at providing direction.
I was listening to a podcast, the muppetiers guy? Never heard of him before but he was basically saying the truth is that Fletcher, Murtough, SAF all want Poch, whilst the 'board' i.e. Arnold as the face, but also Glazers and stakeholders want Ten Hag, essentially on the basis that this is the fan's overwhelming choice.

Quite an interesting take, and one that would lend to why Neville, Butt, Rio etc are behind Poch but Ten Hag is the 'preferred choice'. This actually flies in the face of the board 'favouring Poch because he's a yes man' etc.

Could be like Tier 5 reliability but it's interesting nonetheless.

MUFC OK

I feel like I'm living in a separate reality. Pochettino managed in England for 6 years and won absolutely nothing. Not just the Premier League. Nothing. How does that in any way, shape or form make him a PL proven manager?
It's bizarre. I really feel like the likes of Butt, Neville are not helping us move on at all. We know that nearly all PL winning managers hadn't managed in the PL before. This idea of needing 'safe hands' is just nonsense. Since when should that be the criteria of a team seeking to win things?

Rolaholic

It's bizarre. I really feel like the likes of Butt, Neville are not helping us move on at all. We know that nearly all PL winning managers hadn't managed in the PL before. This idea of needing 'safe hands' is just nonsense. Since when should that be the criteria of a team seeking to win things?
It isn't and the teams in the country actually winning things regularly (the Chelseas ,Citys and Liverpools) couldn't give 2 fecks less about that nor does it come into the equation when it comes to hiring managers or sporting positions but somehow that still makes it into the discussion when it comes to United hires...

I don't get it

Kaos

Yeah I honestly wish they'd shut up about it, especially since part of me is worried our owners might heed their sentiments. I mean most of them don't have managerial experience, and those that do had failed miserably (Neville).

The worst thing is the ones that own Salford FC would never practice what they preach with their own club. Neville for one was constantly defending Ole and blaming everyone and everything but him, but when it came to Salford he'd be chopping managers like no tomorrow.

The PL experience angle also does my head in. It's already been explained as to why its a silly benchmark. By their logic, Klopp would have been a downgrade to Rodgers considering the former's lack of 'PL experience' prior to taking the job at Liverpool.

I really hope our decision makers shun their 'suggestions' and end up going with who they feel is the best fit based on their attributes, plans for the team and style.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Enrique is the best manager right now that would be "available". I put available in quotes because of the world cup. If Enrique says he'd be interested in the job, but after the world cup then the club would need to make a decision on whether its better to wait 6 months for Enrique or Ten Hag in the summer.

Obviously Enrique would have to have a say in any transfer dealings and June to December should be about Rangnick setting the squad up for Enrique. Maybe not an ideal scenario but Enrique is a proven world class manager.
it would be an incredibly unusual way to proceed but I wouldn't be totally against it - and maybe Enrique's backroom staff and coaches could come in early

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If it's true that we are interview a number of people, that's a good start. The habit of annointing/appointing someoneone (starting with Moyes) is when it all started to go wrong

Kaos

If it's true that we are interview a number of people, that's a good start. The habit of annointing/appointing someoneone (starting with Moyes) is when it all started to go wrong
I mean there's nothing wrong with pinpointing one candidate and bringing them in. City were adamant on bringing in Pep and Pep alone, I assume Liverpool only really considered Klopp too as Rodger's replacement.

The issue is when its someone like Moyes, then it makes absolutely no sense, especially when better managers were also available.

We're right to interview several candidates as there's no obvious stand out candidate at this point.

Interval

Level
the interesting one here is Luis Enrique. Even if ETH were available and willing, I would still take him. Im just not sure he’s a long term solution the club needs. But he’d be absolutely stellar getting stuff in place with minimal fuss.

Plus the chance of seeing Ronaldo and Messi in the same team white text cozcnuts Take me too seriously

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I desperately want ten Hag as our next manager but if it’s pochettino I’ll still support him… he may surprise everyone. Like he said to Ferdinand, a lot of managers have failed with psg In the champions league, tuchel did but then thrived at Chelsea… not saying the same would happen with pochettino but he may do better with us then he did with the likes of spurs, we’d give him more budget for starters. I don’t think the board will be stupid this time though and not go for the fans favourite choice. All hell would break lose and they’d be expecting another protest. We need to be patient and hope when the announcement comes it’s ten Hag that we chose.

MUFC OK

Yeah I honestly wish they'd shut up about it, especially since part of me is worried our owners might heed their sentiments. I mean most of them don't have managerial experience, and those that do had failed miserably (Neville).

The worst thing is the ones that own Salford FC would never practice what they preach with their own club. Neville for one was constantly defending Ole and blaming everyone and everything but him, but when it came to Salford he'd be chopping managers like no tomorrow.

The PL experience angle also does my head in. It's already been explained as to why its a silly benchmark. By their logic, Klopp would have been a downgrade to Rodgers considering the former's lack of 'PL experience' prior to taking the job at Liverpool.

I really hope our decision makers shun their 'suggestions' and end up going with who they feel is the best fit based on their attributes, plans for the team and style.
Agree with all of what you say, especially the Rodgers/Klopp part - worrying to see that logic potentially applied here. The other one is "Poch worked wonders on a shoestring budget", yet so did Moyes and look how that went. Also, when Poch did receive funds he spent £54m on Ndombele, £50m on Davinson Sanchez, so it doesn't follow that he will use greater resources wisely.

I also think there's still imo, a moral superiority complex about some at united, and by all accounts Poch is a good man.

Kaos

Agree with all of what you say, especially the Rodgers/Klopp part - worrying to see that logic potentially applied here. The other one is "Poch worked wonders on a shoestring budget", yet so did Moyes and look how that went. Also, when Poch did receive funds he spent £54m on Ndombele, £50m on Davinson Sanchez, so it doesn't follow that he will use greater resources wisely.

I also think there's still imo, a moral superiority complex about some at united, and by all accounts Poch is a good man.
Yeah this went out the window after our failed experiment with Moyes, and then we essentially acted like every other club - randomly hiring and firing managers, hoping something sticks. I mean we sacked LVG after winning us the FA Cup.

Kaos

I desperately want ten Hag as our next manager but if it’s pochettino I’ll still support him… he may surprise everyone. Like he said to Ferdinand, a lot of managers have failed with psg In the champions league, tuchel did but then thrived at Chelsea… not saying the same would happen with pochettino but he may do better with us then he did with the likes of spurs, we’d give him more budget for starters. I don’t think the board will be stupid this time though and not go for the fans favourite choice. All hell would break lose and they’d be expecting another protest. We need to be patient and hope when the announcement comes it’s ten Hag that we chose.
This argument became obsolete the moment he became the coach for one of the richest clubs in the world with a star studded squad. PSG under Poch don't play great football, are doing worse than under previous managers (out of the last 16 in the CL, inferior win percentage compared to his predecessors), and on top of that the fans want him gone and are booing their players. If PSG was an audition for how Poch would fare in a big club with bigger resources, then he's failed IMO. Don't see how he'd fix our issues, not when he'd be off to a challenging start with a fanbase that largely wouldn't have wanted him anyway.

Chairman Steve

A lot of these high profile people are saying that they’d hire Poch because he’s ‘Premier League proven’ or seemingly because they’ve met him?

Which is a weird irony considering the small uproar when Poch first came to these shores and a lot of pundits were like ‘Who the feck is he? Soton sacked Adkins for him? Why not some British manager who is proven here?’

Corridor of Uncertainty

If we hired Ten Hag, he came here for four seasons, regularly got us top 4 but not a single trophy and had an absymal away record against our rivals, would he been deemed a success?

As that's exactly what those calling for Poch to be given the job are going off the back of. I take it this is what they mean by "Premier League proven".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Then go and have lunch with others too

Kaos

That must have been one seriously bad interview!
I mean I'm assuming it was an interview done for the sake of obliging the 'process' and then moving on. I imagine he got an email a few hours later with the dreaded "Thank you for your interest, we regret to inform you..... :lol: "

I doubt he himself expected there would be any tangible chance of getting the job anyway.

Chairman Steve

I bet it wasn’t even an interview with Lopetegui. It was probably an e-mail exchange and he was like ‘Sure whatever. Come back to me if you’re serious’

reddevilz007

PSG players dont seem to want to play for him.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic

Exactly in what sense is Pochettino a proven manager in the PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.