Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

United in sin

My choice would be Pochettino.In my opinion the job that he did at Tottenham was truly remarkable.Taking Spurs to a CL final is probably as impressive as taking Ajax to a CL semi final.Plus under him Tottenham finished in the top 4 for 4(or was it 5?) seasons in a row…He even finished a season with 84 points if I”m not mistaken.

In my opinion he was never really the right fit for PSG.Pochettino is a nurturer,he’s a man who needs time and space to build a football club incrementally but progressively.PSG was the wrong club for a manager with his attributes and style….I guess he joined PSG out of desperation,I think he was out of work for a while so he made that choice.

But I don’t think that we are like PSG at all.PSG sack managers who fail to win the CL,we Sack managers who fail to qualify for the CL,so that’s a huge difference right there!Give Pochettino time and give him the resources….He”ll do a terrific job.
Good post. Pochettino finished second with Spurs in 2016/17 on 86 points and Spurs outscored the eventual champions Chelsea while also conceding the least goals (86 and 26 respectively)

USREDEVIL

Actually, the manager just needs to focus on the football side of things - style of play, philosophy etc. The commercial heads can stick to the other stuff.

I think an underrated problem of ours is the likes of SAF still having influence, former players wanting an 'in' on what's going on and a say in the future of the club etc. They all know what the atmosphere is like in the club, who are the troublemakers in the dressing room etc.

Liverpool only managed to move on to a new era when they grasped this.
My only hope is that they retained Ralf to deal with this exact problem - listening to ex players - and to have a real footballing brain make decisions instead. If that is the case i cannot see Ralf going for Poch over Ten Hag.

Idxomer

Every time you hear an ex-player picking Pochettino, you know more and more he's the wrong option.

RuudTom83

The Premier league is so tough at the moment, the fact that the current CL holders can start the domestic league and be 3rd favourites for the title is bonkers really. Then for them to be completely out of the running after a few months and it not be a shock or be met with any large amount of criticism says how difficult it is to complete with City and Liverpool.

So whoever the next manager is will need to be judged over many seasons and must be allowed more than one fall in the process.

I'm just not sure the media and interest Manchester United creates is the environment of slow progress...but we can all hope.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So, outside of the work he did with arguably Barca's greatest ever side, what makes Enrique special ?
He took over Barca when Tato Martino left after a season of winning nothing and then preceded to win the treble. Sometimes it's not how good a coach you are but more of a case of the rapport a manager has with the players. If the Barca players didn't buy into his philosophy then Enrique wouldn't of got anywhere.

I think Enrique has the natural blend of authoritarian and compassion to make sure the players don't walk over him but without imposing himself as a dictator like LVG. Even with the press if he didn't like what was being said he had no problems calling them out. He's a mixture of managers we've recently had but with very modern thinking. You only have to look at the national side and see how he transformed them to realise he is the real deal.

His character is a bit on the fiery side which may not suit our owners but it's about time the whole club had a wake up call starting at the very top and Enrique certainly is strong enough to implement it.

Foxbatt

For giving his opinion? Why can't ten Hag supporters (at least a large percentage of them) understand that other people are allowed to want a different manager. There is no clear choice.
Then he needs to come up with an acceptable reason. Not saying he had lunch with him or PL proven? What does PL proven mean? He has won feck all in the PL.
Claudio Ranieri is more proven in the PL than Poch.

Frank Grimes

Then he needs to come up with an acceptable reason. Not saying he had lunch with him or PL proven? What does PL proven mean? He has won feck all in the PL.
He had lunch with him is an acceptable reason. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they might have discussed football and he impressed Butt with his knowledge and how engaging he was? I think that was the gist of what Butt was saying.

mav_9me

The only premier league proven manager who won the premier league is Ranieri...in 30 yrs. Dalglish if you consider his previous top division experience with Liverpool.

This is crazy nonsense. Imagine not hiring SAF or Wenger or Guardiola or Klopp because they had no premier league experience.

Unbelievably stupid. Thank God there is no obvious British manager doing a half decent job like Mark Hughes or someone like that....that would be the obvious narrative.

reddevilz007

The only premier league proven manager who won the premier league is Ranieri...in 30 yrs. Dalglish if you consider his previous top division experience with Liverpool.

This is crazy nonsense. Imagine not hiring SAF or Wenger or Guardiola or Klopp because they had no premier league experience.

Unbelievably stupid. Thank God there is no obvious British manager doing a half decent job like Mark Hughes or someone like that....that would be the obvious narrative.
yep, when you counter their argument of not PL proven, then they go look for not a top league proven, and so forth

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

DSG

I’m not necessarily for Poch (though I voted for him), not necessarily against Ten Hag, but Pochettino has managed in the PL, he has delivered Top 4 finishes. He’s certainly more proven than Ten Hag in the Prem. Also, I’d point out that Ten Hag has no idea the type of media circus and jaded squad he’s going to have to deal with. Poch at least has experience dealing with big stars.

I think there is a bigger risk with Ten Hag. Frankly, I’d love to see him at another mid table PL side first before coming to United, though that doesn’t seem possible.

Not sure why there are so many in the Caf who are angry when a former player speaks his mind about the next manager…. Nicky Butt has more knowledge about the club and football and management in his toenail than just about everyone in the Caf. His opinion is just another data point, why is it invalid? Like everything else on the Internet these days, there is no room for nuance.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Roy Keane would have been my ideal choice for the job. Unfortunately that won't happen whilst Fergie is still at the club.

Kaos

I’m not necessarily for Poch (though I voted for him), not necessarily against Ten Hag, but Pochettino has managed in the PL, he has delivered Top 4 finishes. He’s certainly more proven than Ten Hag in the Prem. Also, I’d point out that Ten Hag has no idea the type of media circus and jaded squad he’s going to have to deal with. Poch at least has experience dealing with big stars.

I think there is a bigger risk with Ten Hag. Frankly, I’d love to see him at another mid table PL side first before coming to United, though that doesn’t seem possible.

Not sure why there are so many in the Caf who are angry when a former player speaks his mind about the next manager…. Nicky Butt has more knowledge about the club and football and management in his toenail than just about everyone in the Caf. His opinion is just another data point, why is it invalid? Like everything else on the Internet these days, there is no room for nuance.
So have a considerable number of other managers. Should we consider Rodgers a better hire than Ten Hag or Enrique? Poch's experience in managing big names hasn't exactly been a testament to his handling of it - you've got their fans booing their star players, their dressing room in turmoil, and Poch himself likely to get the sack.

lsd

The Oracle
In Enrique's case waiting for the City job would seem a no brainer. Suited to the squad he'd inherit and the timing lines up if Pep is leaving at the end of next season.

I hope people are not so blinded by Ten Hag that they are happy for a guy like Enrique to go to City over us.

Surely given a choice of the two no sane person would take Ten Hag

Devil’s Trident

Why such
Nicky Butt “United need stability.They can’t keep having interim managers or learners in very powerful positions. They need people who’ve been there, seen it and done it.

“I’d go all-out to get Mauricio Pochettino as manager. He’s proven in the Premier League, he’s young and enthusiastic, his style of play would suit United and his backroom staff seem switched on. I met him a couple of times at Spurs’ training ground and had lunch. You’d want to play for him.”

Uuuurrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
What does it even mean ? All of united old boys have decided that Poch is the man and they have started to let their opinion out one by one about who united should go for. I have not heard one word from them praising Ten Hag. It’s almost like they are desperate for us to sign Poch. They have suddenly found a voice about the quality of manager united need. When their mate was hired full time, where was this objectivity ? And when united was sinking under him, they wanted to give him more time. Now that he is gone, they are laying out all the criterias and reasons and whatnot. They know what they are doing , they are indirectly meddling in the process, trying to influence the fans and putting pressure on the board to hire Pochettino.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I hope people are not so blinded by Ten Hag that they are happy for a guy like Enrique to go to City over us.

Surely given a choice of the two no sane person would take Ten Hag
I would…

Andy_Cole

Why such

What does it even mean ? All of united old boys have decided that Poch is the man and they have started to let their opinion out one by one about who united should go for. I have not heard one word from them praising Ten Hag. It’s almost like they are desperate for us to sign Poch. They have suddenly found a voice about the quality of manager united need. When their mate was hired full time, where was this objectivity ? And when united was sinking under him, they wanted to give him more time. Now that he is gone, they are laying out all the criterias and reasons and whatnot. They know what they are doing , they are indirectly meddling in the process, trying to influence the fans and putting pressure on the board to hire Pochettino.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Poch’s team has contacted the old boys for the PR, even promising them roles.

Rolaholic

Roy Keane would have been my ideal choice for the job. Unfortunately that won't happen whilst Fergie is still at the club.
He couldn't cut it in management at Ipswich or Sunderland a decade ago, what makes you think he could cut it at United?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Whilst Poch may feel like the turd that won’t flush, ETH will be our next manager, keep calm.

I’ve already shaved my head in anticipation.

RedCafe’s very own Pep Guardiola is my idol.

BarstoolProphet

"PL proven" is something you usually hear when a relegation-threatened team are looking for a new manager to steer them away from relegation. And the argument is even more bizarre when there's little to no empiric evidence to support it. Sometimes I feel that our ex-players are working against our club rather than wanting the best for it.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Whilst Poch may feel like the turd that won’t flush, ETH will be our next manager, keep calm.

I’ve already shaved my head in anticipation.

RedCafe’s very own Pep Guardiola is my idol.
The cafe needs a dedicated thread for its members beautiful bald heads if it comes to pass.

Waxing my head in preparation…

Rolaholic

Poch wouldn't fit the 'clear playing identity' mold then...

Status
Not open for further replies.