Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Zidane now!! If he doesn't like England, pay him enough so he does.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Ole does end up leaving at some point, the timing would probably sway my thinking somewhat.

If it was a case where he left because we either bombed out of the CL group stage again or were out of the title race before Christmas then I would get the appeal of going for a Conte/Zidane immediately to try and have an impact in the other competition. Obviously you want to think long-term and I wouldn't be convinced either are the right choice but I get the attraction of trying to salvage this season as a main priority.

If it was a more LVG-like slow death that drags towards the end of the season though then lining up a Ten Hag type manager for the summer becomes the more forward-thinking route I think. He would be my preferred choice anyway but what appeal there is in Zidane/Conte diminishes further if it's an end of season appointment rather than a mid-season one.

Either way though, results are going to dictate what happens so even if things do go bad this season, it will be a while before they catch up with performances.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If Ole does end up leaving at some point, the timing would probably sway my thinking somewhat.

If it was a case where he left because we either bombed out of the CL group stage again or were out of the title race before Christmas then I would get the appeal of going for a Conte/Zidane immediately to try and have an impact in the other competition. Obviously you want to think long-term and I wouldn't be convinced either are the right choice but I get the attraction of trying to salvage this season as a main priority.

If it was a more LVG-like slow death that drags towards the end of the season though then lining up a Ten Hag type manager for the summer becomes the more forward-thinking route I think. He would be my preferred choice anyway but what appeal there is in Zidane/Conte diminishes further if it's an end of season appointment rather than a mid-season one.

Either way though, results are going to dictate what happens so even if things do go bad this season, it will be a while before they catch up with performances.
What do you mean by that, particularly the last part?

Hughie77

Results business, and let's be honest Villa and Everton at home headed 1 pt. 5 dropped at home, OK were 2 pts behind the top. Some will and can say it was a bit of bad luck in both games or was it poor performance? Bit of both I think. This team and olly need to address it quickly or the latter is the only one going . IMO he's got till after CL group stages which I think we will progress , but we're we are in league depends on his job. And who's on there radar I don't know.

MrSingh2002

Zidane now!! If he doesn't like England, pay him enough so he does.
Zidane will be France manager one day but I think he would take the United job if offered and then manage France assuming his tenure went well.

steve.crowford

If I asked here 1 year ago if people would want Tuchel as our manager, I'm sure that at least 80% would have said "no", for a lot of reasons.
My point is, you can always make an excuse to not go for a manager. It seems, most of time, that the only manager some fans would think it's acceptable is some sort of Fergie regen.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If Newcastle are going to be taken over, then getting a world class manager is going to become even more important.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What do you mean by that, particularly the last part?
At the moment the performances are the big worry for us, in that it's hard to see us doing what we need to do if they don't improve dramatically and it's also hard to see how they will improve dramatically.

But because it's so early in the season, that standard of performance has yet to do serious or irreversible damage in terms of actual results. We're two points off the top of the PL and still well able to qualify from the CL group. On paper that's a reasonable position for us to be in, even if the performances suggest our position will get worse as time goes on.

So what I'm saying is even if performances continue to be as sub-par as they are now, it will still be a while (months, most likely) before the results and our league/CL position reflect that to such a degree that the club actually take action and remove Ole. I think we'd have to either bomb out of the group stages or be adrift in the title race before there's a real chance he goes and that's not gonna happen within the space of a few weeks. I think our final CL group game is two months away for example and I'd be very surprised if Ole wasn't still manager at that point.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Things change fast in football, a manager's stock is highly volatile so timing is beyond crucial when candidates are being considered.

I remember when people were suggesting Marco Silva as a great option for the job. Now managing Fulham in the Championship.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
At the moment the performances are the big worry for us, in that it's hard to see us doing what we need to do if they don't improve dramatically and it's also hard to see how they will improve dramatically.

But because it's so early in the season, that standard of performance has yet to do serious or irreversible damage in terms of actual results. We're two points off the top of the PL and still well able to qualify from the CL group. On paper that's a reasonable position for us to be in, even if the performances suggest our position will get worse as time goes on.

So what I'm saying is even if performances continue to be as sub-par as they are now, it will still be a while (months, most likely) before the results and our league/CL position reflect that to such a degree that the club actually take action and remove Ole. I think we'd have to either bomb out of the group stages or be adrift in the title race before there's a real chance he goes and that's not gonna happen within the space of a few weeks. I think our final CL group game is two months away for example and I'd be very surprised if Ole wasn't still manager at that point.
I get you now. Fully agree too. With the squad we've got we'll pick up points regularly enough to draw the poor performances out for a while, which is basically what you're saying. But in the long run the points we've collected just won't stack up against other teams and we'll be adrift.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s got to be ten Haag for me… I can see the majority of fans want him aswell. He’s obviously a very attack minded coach, but he’s playing in a weak league, he won’t be getting 5-0s every week in the prem like he does with Ajax… the main thing with him will be what he’s like in the transfer market and wether he can handle big players like Ronaldo/cavani/pogba. He’s definitely worth the gamble though… won his first 2 games in the champions league by battering the opposition. If we had him against young boys we’d of won about 7-0

RooneyLegend

It’s got to be ten Haag for me… I can see the majority of fans want him aswell. He’s obviously a very attack minded coach, but he’s playing in a weak league, he won’t be getting 5-0s every week in the prem like he does with Ajax… the main thing with him will be what he’s like in the transfer market and wether he can handle big players like Ronaldo/cavani/pogba. He’s definitely worth the gamble though… won his first 2 games in the champions league by battering the opposition. If we had him against young boys we’d of won about 7-0
If our club was an run like Ajax with our budget we'd be competing every year. Hire him and his higher ups, and let's get this show on the road.

JPB

We need to get Ten Hag before Barcelona do. Which I can't see happening unfortunately.

Chairman Steve

Based on Pogba‘s 180 on his staying or going stance, as well as his past public acknowledgments, I wonder if Zizou is actually being considered. I think the squad is tailored to suit him as it’s packed with talent and they’d all respect him. Varane binned off us ten years ago for Real because of him. Ronaldo seemed to liked working with him. I’m pretty sure Real were after Donny when he was manager. He was courting Pogba for Real when he was at Utd…

Would admit it’d be cool and surreal to see him at Utd, albeit as a manager rather than the great player.

If it happens, the unveiling video should involve Sir Alex giving him 10 pieces of wood :D

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Would be very interesting to see what Graham Potter could do with our squad. He is doing a fantastic job with Brighton. What he did at Östersund was also great.

However, managing a squad filled with stars could be a completely different ball game for him.
It'll be a David Moyes situation. How is this manager that hasn't won anything going to tell Ronnie or Anyone in the club what it takes to win and win trophies. Sadly Zidane and Conte are the only good options left.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Based on Pogba‘s 180 on his staying or going stance, as well as his past public acknowledgments, I wonder if Zizou is actually being considered. I think the squad is tailored to suit him as it’s packed with talent and they’d all respect him. Varane binned off us ten years ago for Real because of him. Ronaldo seemed to liked working with him. I’m pretty sure Real were after Donny when he was manager. He was courting Pogba for Real when he was at Utd…

Would admit it’d be cool and surreal to see him at Utd, albeit as a manager rather than the great player.

If it happens, the unveiling video should involve Sir Alex giving him 10 pieces of wood :D
Zidane is the dream, we should just pay him the budgeted fee for Rice to get him to like England.

USREDEVIL

I don't get Zidane too much. Isn't he a Lampard/Ole 2.0, but with an insane squad (at that time)? Anyone have any general analysis of how he'd play, formation etc.? He also doesn't speak english. Can't see it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Does Luis Enrique speak English?

Enrique along with Ten Hag are the two stand out candidates for me.

FatTails

Does Luis Enrique speak English?

Enrique along with Ten Hag are the two stand out candidates for me.
Lucho is my favourite too. Been talking about it in this thread and other threads. I just don’t see him leaving Spain now when the World Cup is around the corner and that he’s managed to build something good there, and manage the transition from the old guard really well.

ShinjiNinja26

I guess we can add Newcastle to the list of clubs we could potentially be competing with for managers now. Although it’s probably too early for them to lure the big boys that’ll most likely change in a few years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Lucho is my favourite too. Been talking about it in this thread and other threads. I just don’t see him leaving Spain now when the World Cup is around the corner and that he’s managed to build something good there, and manage the transition from the old guard really well.
Agreed. He also implements a style of play which is pleasing to the eye and has shown the ability to adapt aswell. And by that I mean, when he was at Barca he had to face up to losing both Xavi and Iniesta and changed his thinking from trying to dominate central areas via possession to playing a fast transition game which suited the front three (Messi, Suarez, Neymar). He's a very intelligent coach who not only thinks for now but the long term. And that's why he's won the biggest prizes in club football. He's also someone who I feel could elevate the collective without spending huge sums like the current manager seems hell bent on doing. Which is also very important and is something Liverpool have benefited from due to having Klopp as their manager. Not sure how long Klopp can keep defying the odds but the below tweet is a testament to him as a worle class manager.

SirMattlives

Some interesting names…but I remember when someone here suggested we get Chris Wilder to replace Ole on the grounds that he had the Blades organized (obviously that was in their first season in the premiership). I am less concerned, oddly, about who we go for come the time (Z, Conte, Haag) than we have some plan for the long-term success of the club. Looking at Moyes now, I think we all agree he should have kept the old backroom team in place but then he was promised 6 years, no doubt he believed he had time and could make a change without worry, we told him as much, but he was not even given a season. Fergie had often said the club had learned the lesson of replacing Busby and would do it right….and then told us all to get behind the new manager….well, say no more. Go for winners in LvG (now we’re told he was ‘past it’) then Jose (also, with hindsight, apparently ‘yesterday’s man’) and you see the challenge of getting the timing right. Coaching is apparently time-dependent. Hindsight is perfect. I’d like to think the club has a footballing vision for the long-term…and oddly, for that, I am ok with Ole serving as an important step. Next appointment is too important to feck up.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Bruce should be available soon.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I guess we can add Newcastle to the list of clubs we could potentially be competing with for managers now. Although it’s probably too early for them to lure the big boys that’ll most likely change in a few years.
They could possibly get Ten Hag or Potter IMO

Dr Pavel

I don't get Zidane too much. Isn't he a Lampard/Ole 2.0, but with an insane squad (at that time)? Anyone have any general analysis of how he'd play, formation etc.? He also doesn't speak english. Can't see it.
Zidane is Lampard/Ole 2.0 the same way that Ole is Ferguson 2.0.
Ferguson won premier league and champions league. Ole won Norwegian league.
Zidane won la liga and champions league. Lampard never won a single thing as manager.
They're very much alike.

Cal?

CR7 fan
How come no one before him with said insane squad won as much as he did?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I really can't see anyone suitable. There's no way Potter or Ten Haag can come into the club and instantly command respect from the squad. The only ones who can do that are Zidane and Conte. I don't see those two as suitable for the club. I have question marks over Zidane's ability outside of Real. Conte would be similar to Jose in terms of his suitability to the club.

We're truly going to swim or sink with Ole. Looks like the latter at this stage.

Sviken

I really can't see anyone suitable. There's no way Potter or Ten Haag can come into the club and instantly command respect from the squad. The only ones who can do that are Zidane and Conte. I don't see those two as suitable for the club. I have question marks over Zidane's ability outside of Real. Conte would be similar to Jose in terms of his suitability to the club.

We're truly going to swim or sink with Ole. Looks like the latter at this stage.
They won't respect Potter or Ten Haag, but they respect Ole? Give me a break.

JohnnyLaw

They won't respect Potter or Ten Haag, but they respect Ole? Give me a break.
Only Ronaldo or Varane have the standing in football to make judgement on either, but I don’t think Varanes the type and Ronaldo is 36 and joined Juventus under Sarri.

Jericholyte2

Agreed. He also implements a style of play which is pleasing to the eye and has shown the ability to adapt aswell. And by that I mean, when he was at Barca he had to face up to losing both Xavi and Iniesta and changed his thinking from trying to dominate central areas via possession to playing a fast transition game which suited the front three (Messi, Suarez, Neymar). He's a very intelligent coach who not only thinks for now but the long term. And that's why he's won the biggest prizes in club football. He's also someone who I feel could elevate the collective without spending huge sums like the current manager seems hell bent on doing. Which is also very important and is something Liverpool have benefited from due to having Klopp as their manager. Not sure how long Klopp can keep defying the odds but the below tweet is a testament to him as a worle class manager.

Not entirely down to the work of a world class manager, given the Net spend is always tainted by the Coutinho sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.