Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Only if you are adequately supported by the club to do so.
Its going to be very hard for them to do that
La liga have given real madrid a budget of over 700m )over a third of the entire league budget)... and barca a budget of 96m (the 7th highest in the league)

essentially barca have to reduce their wage bill 3/4 (mking it very difficult to keep the likes of de jong, pedri and fati) whist real can almost double their wage bill in a season (allowing them to pay £1m a week to Mbppe, Haaland, Lewendowski, Pogba and still have more than barcas entire budget spare to ad new players)

so yeah its going to be very hard for barca to be competitive in the short and medium term unless a superleague starts that lets them avoid la liga rules and gives them a chunk of money to pay off some debt

passing-wind

That express article is all based on assumption it's highlighted in the wording. Ten Haag, Zidane or Potter would do it for me. Conte still plays a better brand of football than Solskjaer and he's a far superior manager. I'd take either of the names above.

EtH

Its going to be very hard for them to do that
La liga have given real madrid a budget of over 700m )over a third of the entire league budget)... and barca a budget of 96m (the 7th highest in the league)

essentially barca have to reduce their wage bill 3/4 (mking it very difficult to keep the likes of de jong, pedri and fati) whist real can almost double their wage bill in a season (allowing them to pay £1m a week to Mbppe, Haaland, Lewendowski, Pogba and still have more than barcas entire budget spare to ad new players)

so yeah its going to be very hard for barca to be competitive in the short and medium term unless a superleague starts that lets them avoid la liga rules and gives them a chunk of money to pay off some debt
Oh wow wasn’t aware of that. Perhaps Ten Hag would have to think better of it then.

But if that’s so Madrid are basically back to doing whatever the feck they want from next season.

Longlivekeano

Some names not in any rank of pref
- Diego Simeone
- Carlo Ancelotti
- Pochettino
- Eddie Howe
- Ten Haag

any one of these would improve us tactically and defensively

BorisManUtd

Since Fergie retired you could say we didn't have WC manager in charge so far. Moyes is very good manager and is showing it again at West Ham but not elite level and it looked like a disaster for many reasons. LvG and Mourinho, both with great managerial record but past it by the time they came to United. So basically though we had some great players these last 8 years, we haven't had manager like Pep, Klopp or at least someone close to them.

EtH

I’m honestly warming to Potter more and more. Perhaps a bit romantic, but I would have him well before anyone else after Ten Hag. I like his tactical flexibility and the fact that his teams are so compact. His teams play decent enough stuff as well for the players at his disposal. If he could keep us tight at the back and get the midfield functioning we’d score more than enough goals to threaten on all fronts.

Hughes35

Zidane rode the coattails of Bale, Ronaldo, Ramos, Varane, Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Marcelo et al, none of whom he signed. If you check out his signings they are almost 100% shite.
Hence why I said I feel he got lucky and didn't put him as one of the managers I would choose.

AneRu

We're just waiting for any of the possible options like Potter and Ten Hag to be swept up by the likes of Spurs and Barca before we enter the market.
And then sign another egoistic big name to set us back by a few years. The level of self sabotage at United is maddening.

Big Andy

Bloke
You don't luck your way into 3 CL titles and 2 league titles in 4.5 seasons.
You kind of do when you inherit Prime Ronaldo, Prime Ramos, Prime Varane, Prime Kroos, Prime Modric, Prime Benzema, Prime Marcelo, Prime Casemiro.

I reckon I'd have had a good chance of winning something with that team.

DickDastardly

Honestly, i have no idea.

Just please, no former players. I'd hate the idea of not liking any more of the former players i used to cherish.

Potter is around the same age Ferguson was when he came to manage us. Might give it a go.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You kind of do when you inherit Prime Ronaldo, Prime Ramos, Prime Varane, Prime Kroos, Prime Modric, Prime Benzema, Prime Marcelo, Prime Casemiro.

Casemiro was a nobody before Zidane. Plenty of great and stacked teams have failed to be successful in the past (like the first galactico's). Literally nobody else in the modern era has managed to successfully defend a CL title let alone win it 3 times in a row. The guy needs some respect on his name. Plenty of teams have great players. Not all of them are successful, and literally nobody has matched what Zidane did with Madrid.

mav_9me

People complain about Ole and his tactical ineptitude ... At the same time, the same people see Southgate as an ideal successor :lol::lol:
Can you point to a post which sees Southgate as an ideal successor?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Should’ve been Claudio Ranieri to do a redux of his Leicester 4-4-2 championship winning team. Has 4 strikers to rotate like the halcyon Fergie days, Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood and Martial.

DDG; Wan Bissaka, Varane, Maguire, Shaw; Sancho, Fernandes, McTominay, Rashford; Cavani, Ronaldo.

I jest but it’s a romantic notion. Fergie always said football was simple.

Two banks of four, two flying wingers, one inverted with an overlapping fullback. Lots of energy in midfield, two bonafide goalscorers up front with an aerial threat. Quality 1990’s football. I miss those days.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

We've got Prime DDG, Prime Varane, Prime Maguire, Prime Shaw, Prime Pogba, Prime Bruno and we have several top-class youngsters due to enter their prime in the next 2-3 years. We also have Cavani and Ronaldo who can perform at an elite level.
IMO, we probably have the best squad in the league, but a manager who is one of the worst in the league. Would any team in the league swap their manager with ours? That's the best way to rank our manager.
IMO, no team in our league would do the swap.
After he leaves MUFC, I can't see him getting another job in our league.

Hughie77

Oh wow wasn’t aware of that. Perhaps Ten Hag would have to think better of it then.

But if that’s so Madrid are basically back to doing whatever the feck they want from next season.
If that's the case at Real then we know why Ancellotti went back.

Hughie77

We've got Prime DDG, Prime Varane, Prime Maguire, Prime Shaw, Prime Pogba, Prime Bruno and we have several top-class youngsters due to enter their prime in the next 2-3 years. We also have Cavani and Ronaldo who can perform at an elite level.
IMO, we probably have the best squad in the league, but a manager who is one of the worst in the league. Would any team in the league swap their manager with ours? That's the best way to rank our manager.
IMO, no team in our league would do the swap.
After he leaves MUFC, I can't see him getting another job in our league.
Agree, he won't, but the other option is to give him, a recruitment job at UTD he seems pretty good at that, and get another manager in . This is all fantasy mind you as Phelan and Olly have both got new deals .

Kaos

He's spot on.

I agree with everything he said except there being a new manager soon. Or board will dither until its mathematically impossible for us to finish top 4, or where we're 100% out of all competitions, then they'll appoint Southgate. Ugh.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ten Hag is gonna go to some big club, be very good and then you will hear Ole fans saying ‘if there was a Pep, Klopp, Tuchel or Ten Hag’ available, I would be up for sacking Ole and hiring them, but considering that they are not, let’s stick with Ole.

Last edited:

Okey

I'm firmly on the Erik ten Hag train. Clearly a very good coach of the sort we should be aiming for nexr. Basically a Graham Potter who's been at a big club and gone toe to toe with Europe's elite, creditably. You can just see him being snapped up by another big club if we dither like we love to. Anyway, let's see October and November. Ole won't be sacked before then and things will be clearer after that, one way or the other.

Strelok

It's not that easy like you made it sounds imo. Jose, Ancelotti, Benitez got nowhere in the CL with basically the same squad and he won 3 CL. If my memory serves me right Jose even benched Modric in favour for Khedira. It's actually Zidane who made the best out of that squad.

3 CL in a round is one of the biggest thing a manager has achieved in the history of football imo. And some doesn't want him here ...

frostbite

It's not that easy like you made it sounds imo. Jose, Ancelotti, Benitez got nowhere in the CL with basically the same squad and he won 3 CL. If my memory serves me right Jose even benched Modric in favour for Khedira. It's actually Zidane who made the best out of that squad.

3 CL in a round is one of the biggest thing a manager has achieved in the history of football imo. And some doesn't want him here ...
You are right. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who believe that the manager is not as important as the players.

They think that if you have many great players then they will certainly win, no matter what.

Well, football does not work like this. England's golden generation had a lot of great players and won nothing because the manager never found how to use them. Greece won in 2004 because they had a great manager who found a way to use 11 mediocre players perfectly. SAF always had a few mediocre players as regulars and still won tons of stuff.

It is easy for a manager to perform well for a mid-table team. But to win PL or CL is really hard, the manager has to know how to use his players well. A mediocre manager will lose a critical game and people will say "it was luck" but often it is lack of skill.

Dembeza

Who does Zidane have as his coaching staff?

From what I have gathered from the Ole fanbase, the coaching staff is more important than the manager interms of how the team plays

Yakuza_devils

A manager who is able to:

1) play modern attacking football
2) coach a group of players to play like a team
3) able to challenge without having world class players in every position
4) able to challenge without having different world class coaches in every department
5) develop youngsters
6) have good reputation in transfers

HailtotheKing

The problem with going for Potter is he is a big gamble. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with a brave decision like that per se. However we lack the proper structure at the club to support him. And we lack proper decision makers who you can have faith in to recognize if an appointment such as Potter is not working out and make the necessary change.
I don’t see us going for Potter. Not a big enough name. We like to create headlines. Similar with Ten Haag. Who cares about ability. We will most likely replace Ole with the bright lights of Zidane.

HailtotheKing

From what I have gathered from the Ole fanbase, the coaching staff is more important than the manager interms of how the team plays
Only if the manager isn’t a coach. This time it would be nice if we hired an actual coach.

El Zoido

Why are so many people denying the value of a good coach? Fergie relied heavily on his coaching staff, especially towards the end of his career. Queiroz was largely responsible for our strength in Europe in the 2000’s, not Fergie. Of course, it’s actually a collaborative effort, the same at every single club. The man at the top always takes the fall, but it’s rarely that straightforward.

Question really is why the anti-Ole fanbase refuse to accept that good coaching staff is actually hugely important. Easier just to blame the one man you hate I suppose. Even Mourinho was never the same once Rui Faria left. Klopp and Pep can’t do it without their staff either. I think too many people here simply have no idea how a football club is actually run.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I dont know much about Zidane coaching but winning CL 4 times isn't something that happens if you are not a good manager. I understand there was enough quality with RM but still you don't win that 4 times if you aren't a damn good one. That would be serious disrespect to call his coaching average.

On the other hand Conte and Ten Hag has been consistently producing results with average or good teams. For that reason I would take Conte or Ten Hag. If Conte can work with Ronaldo, he would be our best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.