Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
At this point its about replacing someone clearly inept. Forget winning the title.
And yet this inept manager has helped rebuild what was an abhorrent squad into one that is a good holding midfielder away from having the potential to win a title.
Other squads aren't perfect.

Our performances thus far are nothing short of a disgrace.

We need to start playing much better with the current side.

And no magical DM is fixing our incoherence without a proper manager managing it.
Agree of course they aren’t but they all have a solid spine. We don’t because we now have a CF who won’t press and a CM that is too light and lacking defensively unless we play McFred.

The performance today was disgraceful. I agree. But I don’t think it’s an unsolvable issue.
Strange logic. So if they can't win a title with the current squad, we should stick with Ole? They just might understand what needs to be addressed to do so. The football might immediately improve. The players might develop better. The team might start looking like a team. There are so many boxes that need ticking, besides winning the title (with the current squad).

I doubt there's a proper manager out there who wouldn't immediately see the problems with the midfield, our set pieces, and our laboured build up play.

The problems we're having as a team are pretty varied.
The implication is that Ole isn’t good enough because we won’t win the league with him.

Why on earth would I want to replace him with any other manager incapable of winning the league with our current squad? Give Ole a DM and then I’d be interested to see how far off he is from winning a league.

They also might not understand the club and mismanage players like Mourinho, LVG and Moyes…

Ole sees the problems we’ve hired a set piece coach and he uses McFred to sort the midfield issue in the absence of the correct personnel he uses what he has.

Id love the magic fairy to wave her wand and make this perfect manager who will fix all our problems just with coaching but I don’t believe they exist.

WPMUFC

anyone but Conte or southgate.....those two won't even finish the season and those frothing at the mouth for Conte will be the first ones on this forum begging for him to be sacked.

Ole is done, but at least make serious suggestions.

Flytan

And yet this inept manager has helped rebuild what was an abhorrent squad into one that is a good holding midfielder away from having the potential to win a title.

Agree of course they aren’t but they all have a solid spine. We don’t because we now have a CF who won’t press and a CM that is too light and lacking defensively unless we play McFred.

The performance today was disgraceful. I agree. But I don’t think it’s an unsolvable issue.

The implication is that Ole isn’t good enough because we won’t win the league with him.

Why on earth would I want to replace him with any other manager incapable of winning the league with our current squad? Give Ole a DM and then I’d be interested to see how far off he is from winning a league.

They also might not understand the club and mismanage players like Mourinho, LVG and Moyes…

Ole sees the problems we’ve hired a set piece coach and he uses McFred to sort the midfield issue in the absence of the correct personnel he uses what he has.

Id love the magic fairy to wave her wand and make this perfect manager who will fix all our problems just with coaching but I don’t believe they exist.
No he didn't. Our squad was never as bad as some of you think. Mourinho literally finished second with it. He just imploded like he always does and the squad hated playing football. Ole came in with rainbows and sunshines and turned that around. Our squad is a holding midfielder away from a "perfect" squad until Ole fans like you say next season that we need a RB or a striker. Fact is he's spent 400M and has 0 trophies. That's unacceptable at any club, let alone clubs as large as Manchester United. Everyone wants to give him credit for building a squad when half of his purchases have been awful, it's hilarious. He's literally wasted money on DVB, Pellestri, Amad. Maguire and AWB have been decent at best, especially for their price. While at the same time he's given new contracts to players like Bailly and Jones who he refuses to use even when his CB is clearly still not match fit and Jones who hasn't played in what seems to be approaching a decade. He's bought Sancho who looks like a lost lamb, jury is out on whether or not that's a bad purchase or just bad coaching (spoiler alert, it's bad coaching). He's been outmanaged by managers who have earned their job whilst he exists here solely out of nepotism from the fanbase.

Mismanage players like Mourinho, LVG, and Moyes? Dude have you seen Pogba, DVB, Ronaldo, and likely Sancho?

Yeah, there's no "fairy' to fix all of our problems but a massive one would be fixed if we would just have the confidence to fire our increasingly bad manager.

lilcurt

While I tend to think almost any decent manager would be better than Ole for the goodness of the club this needs to be a careful appointment. I'd really like to see us go for the Ajax manager or Zidane, if they aren't available until the summer than sack only now and get a caretaker in.

I don't want to see decent players leaving the club (Donny) in January when we know the manager who doesn't know how to setup a team won't be too far away from following.

OleGunnar20

Conte would be a disaster. Southgate even worse.

Potter / Ten Haag / Any other promising young coaches with a discernible playing style?

Tough call. If they go with Southgate then we truly have entered dystopia.

Womp

idiot
Try pay out Ten Hag, if not, maybe assess Enrique, Potter. Otherwise get a caretaker and pursue those targets at the end of the season.

Andersonson

Your doing too much. It’s quite simple, great managers manage the best teams and win a load of trophies.

We don’t have a great manager and no surprise we don’t have many trophies. There’s nothing else to try and understand or to feel bizarre about.

Pep - Trophies
Klopp - Trophies
Mancini - Trophies
Mourinho - Trophies
Zidane - Trophies
Ole - Nothing.
I never disagreed on that....

AFC NimbleThumb

‘One more player’, tripe. We aren’t losing games because the DM isn’t up to par, the whole team are clueless.

‘Another player away from maybe winning something’, what a cop out.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No he didn't. Our squad was never as bad as some of you think. Mourinho literally finished second with it. He just imploded like he always does and the squad hated playing football. Ole came in with rainbows and sunshines and turned that around. Our squad is a holding midfielder away from a "perfect" squad until Ole fans like you say next season that we need a RB or a striker. Fact is he's spent 400M and has 0 trophies. That's unacceptable at any club, let alone clubs as large as Manchester United. Everyone wants to give him credit for building a squad when half of his purchases have been awful, it's hilarious. He's literally wasted money on DVB, Pellestri, Amad. Maguire and AWB have been decent at best, especially for their price. While at the same time he's given new contracts to players like Bailly and Jones who he refuses to use even when his CB is clearly still not match fit and Jones who hasn't played in what seems to be approaching a decade. He's bought Sancho who looks like a lost lamb, jury is out on whether or not that's a bad purchase or just bad coaching (spoiler alert, it's bad coaching). He's been outmanaged by managers who have earned their job whilst he exists here solely out of nepotism from the fanbase.

Mismanage players like Mourinho, LVG, and Moyes? Dude have you seen Pogba, DVB, Ronaldo, and likely Sancho?

Yeah, there's no "fairy' to fix all of our problems but a massive one would be fixed if we would just have the confidence to fire our increasingly bad manager.
Fellaini was our starting CM. Valencia our best RB. We had Smalling as our best CB. It was woeful.

World class manager implodes at United and makes squad hate the football…

No I never said it would be perfect with a holding midfielder. I do believe that one would make us more stable and able to challenge for the title.

Completely agree DVB has so far been a waste of money and Jones too.

The rest I think your assessment is harsh and hyperbolic.

Sancho is a 21 year old adjusting to the PL pace from the Bundesliga. He’ll come good given time.

Ole has regularly got us to win against Klopp and Pep…just saying.

Pogba who is now open to signing a new contract, Ronaldo who has only just arrived and so too with Sancho. Too quick to judge. But absolutely DVB is a poor signing from the club.

There is zero guarantee firing Ole fixes anything. We fire Ole for the manager who will make us title winners and I’m 100% on board with that. We fire Ole for the latest trendy name and I think it’s a risk.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
‘One more player’, tripe. We aren’t losing games because the DM isn’t up to par, the whole team are clueless.

‘Another player away from maybe winning something’, what a cop out.
The team is soft in the centre of midfield without McTominay and Fred but lacks quality on the ball with McTominay and Fred.

That’s our issue. It’s not a cop out you just don’t wish to progress the conversation or are incapable of doing so.

AFC NimbleThumb

The team is soft in the centre of midfield without McTominay and Fred but lacks quality on the ball with McTominay and Fred.

That’s our issue. It’s not a cop out you just don’t wish to progress the conversation or are incapable of doing so.
You think we’re a defensive midfielder away from ‘potential’, that’s a cop out of a comment.

Our central defensive midfield is questionable, yes but the assertion that we need everything to go right just for something to go right is one of the most pathetic non-truths people are spouting on here.

Could we have a better defensive midfielder? Yes. Could we be doing better with the sum of the parts we currently have? Yes.

Good managers, manage their squads up. Ours isn’t. We don’t ‘need’ a DM to challenge for [& win] trophies.

redshaw

Not with Klopp. We have an FA Cup win, that is all.

2 losses and 3 draws in the league, some of those draws Liverpool were there to be beat but we were too negative.

Flytan

Fellaini was our starting CM. Valencia our best RB. We had Smalling as our best CB. It was woeful.

World class manager implodes at United and makes squad hate the football…

No I never said it would be perfect with a holding midfielder. I do believe that one would make us more stable and able to challenge for the title.

Completely agree DVB has so far been a waste of money and Jones too.

The rest I think your assessment is harsh and hyperbolic.

Sancho is a 21 year old adjusting to the PL pace from the Bundesliga. He’ll come good given time.

Pogba who is now open to signing a new contract, Ronaldo who has only just arrived and so too with Sancho. Too quick to judge. But absolutely DVB is a poor signing from the club.

There is zero guarantee firing Ole fixes anything. We fire Ole for the manager who will make us title winners and I’m 100% on board with that. We fire Ole for the latest trendy name and I think it’s a risk.
I would hope adding a DM would let us challenge for the title but Ole being replaced would make that a certainty. No clubs in world football are perfect, Ole shouldn't need something no other club provides to win trophies. City doesn't even have a real striker.

My assessment is meant to be harsh. it's time the fanbase as a whole moves on from this manager.

We have not won regularly against Pep and Klopp. That's an exaggeration. He's won 4, lost 3, drew 1 against Pep. Won 1, lost 2, and drew 3 vs Klopp. That's essentially even against them overall which is fine, sometimes clubs raise their game against rivals. I'll give him credit that he did well against Pep in his first few seasons but seems like Pep has figured him out lately (and Pep's won something anyways). I'd take losing two games to City every year if it meant we play consistently well against the rest of the league so we can challenge for a title.

Do we even want Pogba to stay? He's a great player but him and Fernandes in the same team doesn't work no matter how many janky formations Ole tries. Personally I like Pogba more but we can't have one of them sitting on the bench. Plus Pogba's gone. His quotes today show that he's either moved on from Ole and the club or just Ole. Either way Ole isn't keeping him here. Ronaldo just arrived and is used to winning everywhere, he won't put up with the mediocrity and nepotism. I hope Sancho improves but it has to be worrying to everyone how poor he's been except for a few games. I blame it on coaching. At Dortmund he was drilled to play a certain way, we have no real style of play that we stick to.

Of course there's no guarantee. There's never any guarantee firing anyone works out but every other club in the world does it. Hell we replace players when they're not good enough, why don't fans have the same belief about the manager? If there's a better one out there and we're struggling it's pathetic to not go and get them. Sure it can implode but it's better than just doing nothing. I'd argue that the board and fans sitting on their hands whilst Ole wastes a perfectly trophy contending squad is worse than taking a chance on another manager. I don't get your point. "You'll only fire him if we get a manager that guarantees us the title"? Dude it's world football, that's impossible. But get someone that has at least earned the right to get the chance to do it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
At this point anyone who can organize a team would be an improvement.

SplitzMagic

Sols needs to go and we need to bring in someone similar at least to Tuchel.

We need a manager that is an absolute football head and lives and breathes tactics whilst having the staff to help.

This crap all started with Moyes removing a title winning backroom with his own rubbish Everton crap.

I love our team but our squad honestly needs to be whipped into shape. I'm guaranteeing that any other manager would have found use of DVB and even Mcfred.

Ronaldo came back to WIN. Yes maybe we can all say he's aging but it doesn't look that way when he's playing for Portugal so something is terribly wrong!

Solskjaer is an amazing legend who has done alot for the club. But the best thing he can do now is step aside and let a real manager take this team forward.

Its that bad that I'd love if fergie came back as caretaker just to whip the team into shape for the next manager because it looks like a squad full of dossers.

bleedred

Really? The "abhorrent squad" finished 2nd with 81 points. Ole spent loads on top of it and finished 2nd with what, 74 points?

Its pure revisionism.When will this myth come to an end?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

Soft midfield has nothing to do with our problems. All this nonsense of "A fast CB will fix our problems", "A RW will free up AWB" and other bs needs to stop. The manager is incapable of setting up a team with a system. The players are literally clueless for 89 minutes out of 90.

Andrew7582

Really? The "abhorrent squad" finished 2nd with 81 points. Ole spent loads on top of it and finished 2nd with what, 74 points?

Its pure revisionism.When will this myth come to an end?
The funny thing is it exposes that Jose with an ''abhorrent squad'' did better than Ole with a good/great squad.

Eddy_JukeZ

People are fooling themselves if they think slotting in 1 DM fixes all the issues we saw vs Leicester today.

There is no player in world football that exists like that.

Some people keep understating how much a manager can improve a team. The same fans who lived through SAF managing us. It literally makes no sense.

Pep won the Premier League at a canter with Delph at LB. If Ole had that team, people would say he needs an actual LB to challenge.

croadyman

Board need to stop being so bloody sentimental and buy Ten Haag out of his contract before Barca take him instead

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

That's why VDB can't get playing time here. He was so used to the system where players constantly moving with one or 2 touches football.

Here, we are rigid and take forever even to make a simple pass to player nearby. Look how many touches Maguire, Matic, Shaw, Fred and etc make before they pass.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We need a manager who could provide us more team balance, and allow our players to play under a setup or system, with players knowing where to move, pass, buildup and press under the system. Really, this is what a decent level of coaching is all about. Ole and his coaching team need to go back to coaching school to learn the basic, before becoming professional coach at any team.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I originally didn't want Conte so far because it felt like Ole was building something interesting with the Rashford-Martial-Greenwood front 3 + Bruno+Pogba in midfield, but with Martial failing and with Ronaldo, Cavani, and Sancho, that's clearly not the future.
Now there is no real style of play, not even the counter attacks those 3 were so good at. If the football is going to be miserable, it might as well be winning. So Conte for me. He would need Trippier in January to get his system defence working, the rest of the squad has enough for a 3-5-2.

Also, re-posting something I said about Ten Hag:

How do you think he works with the squad we have now? We have a lot of great soloists - Ronaldo, Bruno, and Pogba, and Greenwood and Rashford to an extent - unlike Ajax which is full of well-drilled players. Also no passing in midfield and no attacking quality from RB. The only players who might do better under him are Sancho and DvB.

If there's going to be a change in December/Jan, it should be with somebody who if flexible and can work with (more or less) what we have. I think either a RWB or a DM in Jan should be enough for Conte to make a grind-y but winning team. Not another few years to change systems, while we waste 1/2 good years that Ronaldo has left.

If it's an end of season thing, with many transfers allowed, then it's different.

passtheball

Here are the some qualities I want in the next manager:
1. Tactically proactive. If it's not working on the pitch, he takes action immediately, even if that is before half-time.
2. Enjoys the process (passing and movement) and not just the goals.
4. Somebody who never, ever talks about passion or the United Way. Somebody who is not in awe of being United manager.
4. A bad loser.

Also, re-posting something I said about Ten Hag:

How do you think he works with the squad we have now? We have a lot of great soloists - Ronaldo, Bruno, and Pogba, and Greenwood and Rashford to an extent - unlike Ajax which is full of well-drilled players. Also no passing in midfield and no attacking quality from RB. The only players who might do better under him are Sancho and DvB.

If there's going to be a change in December/Jan, it should be with somebody who if flexible and can work with (more or less) what we have. I think either a RWB or a DM in Jan should be enough for Conte to make a grind-y but winning team. Not another few years to change systems, while we waste 1/2 good years that Ronaldo has left.
All those soloists you mention play as part of funtioning national teams. Following tactical instructions of a manager for players of such quality is really not that difficult. Perhaps we need a manager who actually has instructions to give.

Ronaldo's link-up play is overshadowed by his goal-scoring, but he has fantastic movement - see his run to score his second against Newcastle; that started well outside the box. Further, he is an exceptional header of the ball. We have simply not tried to exploit it - he hasn't scored a header yet!

I am sorry, unless we get a half-decent coach, we simply can't judge what style this team is capable of. Nothing of tactical significance has been tried yet!

Last edited:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Ten Haag would be available for sure. Get him and his coaches. Just get us to play some attacking football again please. With the talents we are wasting playing cowardly defensive footy, surely things can only get better.

SecondFig

Adding a poll to this thread would be nice!
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm firmly Ole out yet - and a good view of the alternatives would be interesting.

I don't want Conte, Poch is really not setting the world on fire at PSG, I'm unconvinced about Zidane. So for me at the moment Ten Hag is probably the best option - though I've got a soft spot for Graham Potter, but think it's too big a step up in terms of pressure and player ego management etc

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Ten Haag would be available for sure. Get him and his coaches. Just get us to play some attacking football again please. With the talents we are wasting playing cowardly defensive footy, surely things can only get better.
The thing is, we try to play attacking football, we're just not doing it right. A common theme throghout this season have been lack of control in most of our games, if you lack control it does not matter what you try to do.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I don't want Conte as he is a complete moron and an idiot who'll make everything about himself.

But at this stage I'm probably taking him if Ole is sacked.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I don't want Conte as he is a complete moron and an idiot who'll make everything about himself.

But at this stage I'm probably taking him if Ole is sacked.
This made me laugh. Conte would be good for a few years. Utd could use some Italian know-how to tighten up defence.

Lyng

I would probably try to pay whatever it takes to get Hansi Flick. He knows how to make great individuals to play like a fantastic unit.
I don't know if he would see the "Getting a former Giant back to its feet" as enough of a project for him to leave the national team though. Especially right before a world cup. Sadly I doubt it. But he would be the perfect fit.

Potter and Frank have transformed squads with very little quality in to beautiful playing attacking sides, and it would be interesting to see what they could do with our squad.

Zidane I still have my doubts about.
Conte would leave us in a Mourinho esque disaster I fear.

Ten Haag would bring out the best of Donnie, Sancho, Rashford, Varane, Lingard and arguably Lindelöf and maybe Pogba as well. Basically our great passers would thrive, but I fear the rest of the team is to bad as fast passing that we would need to rebuild again.

LoneStar

I'm curious why people here dont want Conte? Is it because he might be a short term fix, or that the players wouldn't suit his system? Genuinely think he's a good coach.

For me, the only blips are his CL record and his transfers not being stellar (though he's winning with them).

Josep Dowling

I'm curious why people here dont want Conte? Is it because he might be a short term fix, or that the players wouldn't suit his system? Genuinely think he's a good coach.

For me, the only blips are his CL record and his transfers not being stellar (though he's winning with them).
I think it’s a combination of 3-5-2 being his preferred formation, he likes to sign older players and he generally falls out with the board. I believe Chelsea spent well over £230m with him in charge one season and he said they needed to buy more players.

It would be very much back to the employment of Jose. Hiring the best manager available but is he the right fit?

I’d personally say no because I want to see high press, attacking football. Unfortunately the club just isn’t pro-active enough to care. We have seen so many decent managers available whilst Ole has been in charge. Once again we are in a situation where it’s not happening, and now all the best managers have jobs.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There’s a lot of focus on who is actually available but we can also poach a manager from another club. I think anyone apart from Nagelsmann, Klopp, Tuchel and Pep would consider it.

LoneStar

I think it’s a combination of 3-5-2 being his preferred formation, he likes to sign older players and he generally falls out with the board. I believe Chelsea spent well over £230m with him in charge one season and he said they needed to buy more players.

It would be very much back to the employment of Jose. Hiring the best manager available but is he the right fit?

I’d personally say no because I want to see high press, attacking football. Unfortunately the club just isn’t pro-active enough to care. We have seen so many decent managers available whilst Ole has been in charge. Once again we are in a situation where it’s not happening, and now all the best managers have jobs.
I agree with what you said. Ultimately we need a manager who can set us up with attractive and winning football.

But a lot of our current players are at their peaks (Bruno, Varane, DDG, Maguire) and we have star experience in Ronaldo and Cavani. If we fail to capitalise in the next 2 years, we'll have to buy a lot more players to compensate for that. And then, it would be a decade of no success, and that too, with more competition than ever.

In essense, I think this is our best chance of winning something (this season or next season). It won't be long before our star players start thinking of moving elsewhere or demaning obscene wages to stay at a non competitive club.

Status
Not open for further replies.