Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers

Actually I misread that thing about Fletcher.

It wouldn't be that bad to sack Ole now, Fletcher temporary manager for the next 3 games, and then Conte take over in the international break before Watford, Villarreal, Chelsea games.

Sviken

Ten Hag has already said he would consider the Newcastle job if they came in with an interesting proposition - don't see why United can't do the same.
Source on that? And I doubt he meant he would take the Newcastle job mid-season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The other option I'd add in on top of the main 3 (Ten Hag, Zidane, Conte) would be Mancini. Having won the euros, maybe he'd feel OK with leaving Italy. Without a doubt a top manager too.

The White Pele

Pochettino is the one isn’t he. We have to make sure we’re his next club.

Surely he’d rather manage in the PL than Ligue 1. Pochettino to us, Zidane to PSG. I wonder how long we would have to wait.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Voted a caretaker until the end of the season.

While I know there is a risk of them having a few good results and everyone going crazy and saying give them the job *cough Ole cough cough*. But I think binging in a new manager halfway through the season limits our options, they will also have to deal with the Pogba situation, Whether to build a team around Ronaldo or rotate him, what to do about the midfield.....

If we wait till the end of the reason, Pogba will either have signed on or left, I suspect Ronaldo will try and get a move away and we will have a chance to sign a midfielder. So the new manager can come in fresh.

Hopefully, we can sort out the structure at the club too, Woodward will be leaving Arnold will be coming in. Maybe it can be a fresh start all around, improbably being really harsh on Fletcher and Murtough but feels like they were yes men appointments. Would be great to see some proven experienced experts in those roles, which should have happened when Mourinho left. Actually, it should have happened after that first mess of a summer when Fergie left.

lsd

The Oracle
So Conte it is then. Hopefully we can get behind him and support him. I feel he is exactly what we need

croadyman

So Conte it is then. Hopefully we can get behind him and support him. I feel he is exactly what we need
Yeah starting to sound like Zidane doesn't ever fancy managing in England isn't it, can totally understand people's concerns with how it ended at Chelsea but IF we could see that guy who bossed the 16/17 season after that formation change at Arsenal then that's a start. The ideal situation is he takes this team for a couple of seasons to a trophy or two then look to bring in an Enrique/Ten Haag/Rose/Nagelsmann type afterwards.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I've a feeling it's gonna be Rodgers.

Rockets Redglare

The other option I'd add in on top of the main 3 (Ten Hag, Zidane, Conte) would be Mancini. Having won the euros, maybe he'd feel OK with leaving Italy. Without a doubt a top manager too.
I just came in to ask about Mancini. Surely he’d be up for a return to a big club?

Rex Banner

I would still be very open to Pochettino. I understand he's not done great at PSG but I thought his Tottenham team were quality.

L1nk

Would love to take any 3 of Ten Hag, Pochettino, Marco Rose, personally... and that's a big IF we could get any next summer, as none of them would come mid season i'd imagine.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Based on what? And what would think?
Based on nothing more really than the unconfirmed report that we're apparently wary of Conte due to alleged similarities to Mourinho. If that is indeed the case then it may mean we're determined to hire someone with a more progressive approach, someone less volatile, and someone less likely to feck off after a couple of years - basically someone ready to buy into whatever long-term project the club believed it was implementing back in 2019. That narrows our options down considerably. On top of that, I think the fact he's a PL-proven British/Irish manager will resonate with some of the decision-makers at the club.

I would be underwhelmed, but I can see the logic if it is the case we are determined to forge a specific progressive identity at the club.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Based on nothing more really than the unconfirmed report that we're apparently wary of Conte due to alleged similarities to Mourinho. If that is indeed the case then it may mean we're determined to hire someone with a more progressive approach, someone less volatile, and someone less likely to feck off after a couple of years - basically someone ready to buy into whatever long-term project the club believed it was implementing back in 2019. That narrows our options down considerably. On top of that, I think the fact he's a PL-proven British manager will resonate with some of the decision-makers at the club.

I would be underwhelmed, but I can see the logic if it is the case we are determined to forge a specific progressive identity at the club.
Yep, I can see the appeal. No doubt he’s a good manager.

peridigm

That would be underwhelming for me. I'd rather one of the big 3
Underwhelming indeed. For all of Conte's faults, if he is some kind of defensive master, that's exactly what we need right now. We're leaking goals all over the place.

Jacko21

Where would the appointment of someone like Conte leave the likes of Murtough and Fletcher?

The executive board aren’t equipped to identify the next manager by themselves. So unless they seek the input of others, they’ll simply approach the highest-profile out-of-work manager who wants the job (as per Mourinho).

How did Van Gaal’s name come up in the conversation? Who suggested Ole as caretaker?

redshaw

What happened to Hasenhüttl? He was a top 3(at least top 5) candidate in here less than a year ago!

It's scary to think how quickly someone can go from being an "obvious solution" to not even feature on a poll with 8 other managers.
Reminds me of Jardim and Howe wanted by some and now not a mention

Footyislife

For once in the last 8 yrs. i hope our board does the sensible thing and hires a manager who has proven in Europe that they can do 2 core elements of our philosophy: play attacking football and develop young players.

Our financial position & brand strength should allow us to outperform any other attacking football EPL manager in terms of recruitment and depth. So we don't need our coach to be SAF, just need them to get our team to play on the same level that Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Poch have shown.

#1 Erik Ten Hag - Proven on European stage to do both
#2 Brendan Rodgers - Proven in EPL to do both

If Hag & Rodgers don't want to leave mid-season, hire Conte as a caretaker only.

Rex Banner

Interesting suggestion. He did do very well at Spurs for a while. Are PSG looking to get rid?
By all accounts, it's not been smooth sailing for him at PSG. They failed to win the league last year and haven't been all that great this year (even if they are 8 points ahead in the league). I don't think the PSG side is really suited to his style of play at all. Saying that there are similarities between us and PSG in terms of squad (both quite top-heavy, Messi/Ronaldo, etc.) But I still think he'd be a good option to look at.
For once in the last 8 yrs. i hope our board does the sensible thing and hires a manager who has proven in Europe that they can do 2 core elements of our philosophy: play attacking football and develop young players.

Our financial position & brand strength should allow us to outperform any other attacking football EPL manager in terms of recruitment and depth. So we don't need our coach to be SAF, just need them to get our team to play on the same level that Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Poch have shown.

#1 Erik Ten Hag - Proven on European stage to do both
#2 Brendan Rodgers - Proven in EPL to do both

If Hag & Rodgers don't want to leave mid-season, hire Conte as a caretaker only.
I think Rodgers is a good manager but do you not think his tendency to throw it away at the end of the season is a big worry? We've seen it three times now with both Liverpool and Leicester. He's been around long enough for us to know that it's not just a one off. His record in Europe is also pretty shocking if we're being honest.

Levi1

Why can't we just poach a manager in a job? Nobody knows better than us that the main ingredient for success is the manager. We've spent untold millions on players, far more than was avaliable to Sir Alex (even adjusting for football player inflation), and have nothing to show for it. If we want someone who's currently still in a job, just give him a one-time grant of restricted stock that vests over 5 years - $50 million, $100 million or whatever. If it was a player, we'd do it in a second! In my opinion, the manager is worth much more! Of course, not every manager is motivated by money, but some are, and also when you're talking legacy money, Panama Papers money, people have a way of seeing the bright side of it...
And Im pretty sure the benefit of having a good manager at the helm would more than make up for the future dilution and the stock would rally (so Glazers could be brought onside, especially as it would be Class A stock). In fact, it seems strange that we haven't done something like this before. In other industries, its the norm to reward management with stock.
And it's about time we get some benefit from having a public share listing, unlike almost every other club.
P.s. my manager pick is not currently in a job, but that's a different conversation.
Ronald Koeman, here we come!

croadyman

Why can't we just poach a manager in a job? Nobody knows better than us that the main ingredient for success is the manager. We've spent untold millions on players, far more than was avaliable to Sir Alex (even adjusting for football player inflation), and have nothing to show for it. If we want someone who's currently still in a job, just give him a one-time grant of restricted stock that vests over 5 years - $50 million, $100 million or whatever. If it was a player, we'd do it in a second! In my opinion, the manager is worth much more! Of course, not every manager is motivated by money, but some are, and also when you're talking legacy money, Panama Papers money, people have a way of seeing the bright side of it...
And Im pretty sure the benefit of having a good manager at the helm would more than make up for the future dilution and the stock would rally (so Glazers could be brought onside, especially as it would be Class A stock). In fact, it seems strange that we haven't done something like this before. In other industries, its the norm to reward management with stock.
And it's about time we get some benefit from having a public share listing, unlike almost every other club.
P.s. my manager pick is not currently in a job, but that's a different conversation.
Ronald Koeman, here we come!
Probably because we are too tight to pay compensation

Kaos

I said it in the other thread - please for the love of Scholes' toenail fetish, can we not just hire the first guy we talk to. For once I'd want us to interview numerous candidates and pinpoint the right man after a proper vetting process. I don't want us to just make contact with Conte and find out he's been offered the role the next day.

roonaldo78

I said it in the other thread - please for the love of Scholes' toenail fetish, can we not just hire the first guy we talk to. For once I'd want us to interview numerous candidates and pinpoint the right man after a proper vetting process. I don't want us to just make contact with Conte and find out he's been offered the role the next day.
Considering the board and structure we have, this is exactly what we will end up doing. Same cycle will repeat again..

Water Melon

In order to do interviews properly, you need to have decision makers who understand football as much as those candidates. Otherwise, how are you going to interview people if they know much more than you? We need top football guys at Woody's and Arnold's level to be able to pick the right manager. Ever since SAF left we won nothing big, having spent more than a billion, only because we had no top football staff overseeing football matters. Hopefully, this time around we appoint the right manager. PL is competitive like never before, whereas United have been nowhere close to challenging for big trophies for almost a decade.

Kaos

In order to do interviews properly, you need to have decision makers who understand football as much as those candidates. Otherwise, how are you going to interview people if they know much more than you? We need top football guys at Woody's and Arnold's level to be able to pick the right manager. Ever since SAF left we won nothing big, having spent more than a billion, only because we had no top football staff overseeing football matters. Hopefully, this time around we appoint the right manager. PL is competitive like never before, whereas United have been nowhere close to challenging for big trophies for almost a decade.
I mean I'd expect (more out of hope than expectation mind you) that they'd consult the handful of 'footballing experts' we have in and around the club - the likes of Fletcher and even Sir Alex himself. We hired a data science lead too didn't we - would it be wishful thinking to hope they'd perhaps leverage his expertise in pinpointing what qualities, patterns of play and habits the ideal coach should have in a team competing today?

I just don't want Woodward ringing Conte and asking him if he fancies it and that's that.

Water Melon

I mean I'd expect (more out of hope than expectation mind you) that they'd consult the handful of 'footballing experts' we have in and around the club - the likes of Fletcher and even Sir Alex himself. We hired a data science lead too didn't we - would it be wishful thinking to hope they'd perhaps leverage his expertise in pinpointing what qualities, patterns of play and habits the ideal coach should have in a team competing today?

I just don't want Woodward ringing Conte and asking him if he fancies it and that's that.
Do not you think SAF had a say in giving Ole permanent job contract? Honestly, I do not think we have one top football person at the Board or executives level. Fletcher is Ole's mate too. The data science man is probably neutral/not-biased, however, I doubt he would be considered qualified enough to have a say in appointment of our next manager. It would be so helpful to have our own Overmars or VDS now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan

Are you with me on team Marsch/Rose/Seoane for 2023?
Definitely looking on with intrigue. I didn't mention Seoane because it likely wouldn't garner much interest on here. But his work thus far looks very impressive for a young up and coming coach.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Definitely looking on with intrigue. I didn't mention Seoane because it likely wouldn't garner much interest on here. But his work thus far looks very impressive for a young up and coming coach.
I have been impressed outside of that one terrible half against you-know-who, Leverkusen look like a more balanced version of Bosz's team which is perfect if you want exciting Football. I will look at him closely and see if he can sustain that.

patobama

Let's get the guy from Brentford. He seems cool.
Why stop there? Maybe we get the West Ham manager. They had a great season last year, he knows how to get the most out of Lingard, he’s got close ties to Declan Rice. My memory is shaky, but I think he was at a big club a few years back and did a phenomenal job.

Status
Not open for further replies.