Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickosaur

Ten Hag really intrigues me and would be my first choice - but no chance he goes now.
Potter would be brilliant too, I rate him so highly. But rather selfishly I want him to stay at Brighton :D
So I guess it's between Zidane and Conte.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Has to be Ten Hag for me. To think what he could do with the likes of Sancho, Van De Beek...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ten Hag really intrigues me and would be my first choice - but no chance he goes now.
Potter would be brilliant too, I rate him so highly. But rather selfishly I want him to stay at Brighton :D
So I guess it's between Zidane and Conte.
Either of the first two for me. Can't explain why but I have a good feeling about Potter, I have been massively impressed by Brighton and his ability to spot weaknesses in opposition, which culminates in clear tactical decisions on the day to exploit these weaknesses.

I'd 10x prefer either of them to Zidane or Conte.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I’d buy out Mancini’s contract and pay off whoever we needed to. He would bring the style, flair and is a winner. I’d much prefer him to conte.
He hasn't managed in club football for over three years and the last club he managed was Zenit and he didn't do very well. He's a good international manager don't get me wrong but he would be another LvG. Can we just appoint a manager that's at least in his prime years.

Nickelodeon

We have a bunch of incompetent people running our club. I expect an unimaginative, obvious choice like Conte or Zidane. I can still get behind Conte since he has managed to punch above his weight with Chelsea and Inter. For Zidane, while 3 consecutive CLs are amazing, his teams have never really impressed me.

At this point, I'm looking for someone who has a clear and positive style of play, so neither of the two really excite me. A Luis Enrique or Erik Ten Hag are ones who I'm looking towards as ideal managers.

Again, with the incompetence in our board, I don't actually expect Ole to sacked any time soon.

Nickosaur

Either of the first two for me. Can't explain why but I have a good feeling about Potter, I have been massively impressed by Brighton and his ability to spot weaknesses in opposition, which culminates in clear tactical decisions on the day to exploit these weaknesses.

I'd 10x prefer either of them to Zidane or Conte.
Brighton are very much my second team and I've praised them massively on here. I think they could be on the verge of something special with Potter, so I hope they can hang onto him for another few seasons.

But if he had to go somewhere - i'd rather it was United, as I have no doubt he will get a big move in the future.

tomaldinho1

Ten hag will want to close out the season with Ajax doing well

Blanc as caretaker
Exactly this.

If there are reservations around Conte and Zizu (or no interest from them or us) there still has to be change. Blanc is an ex player, he has managed at a decent level before and he's not really tied to the class of '92. Or take a chance on someone like Favre on a one year deal with option to extend.

GioF

He hasn't managed in club football for over three years and the last club he managed was Zenit and he didn't do very well. He's a good international manager don't get me wrong but he would be another LvG. Can we just appoint a manager that's at least in his prime years.
It’s easy to gloss over the fact he’s not managed a club team. In reality he was offered the perfect job. His national team after not reaching the World Cup. Couldn’t of been a better time to take on the role. More than likely unless we paid him huge money he’d stick around for the World Cup anyway.

I just want someone with genuine styles/patterns of play that are not overly defensive and have a winning culture behind them. Mancini has won many league titles in Italy and here in the prem.

To be fair I’d take any option than Ole right now. We haven’t played well all season so this comes as no surprise we are not now flicking our way to good results like Wolves and West Ham from a few weeks back.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It'll be Zidane. He's a big name, he's available, it'll make Ronaldo happy (although I don't that should come into it). Highly successful, big name managers apparently don't fit United according to two for United players (Gary Neville and Peter Schmeichel) who are stuck in the past.

Timing could well cost you Luis Enrique and Erik Ten Hag which is unfortunate for United as both men would get United heading back where they want to be and their team would play quality football in the process.

GregM40

Surprised Ten Hag has so many votes in the poll, but he’d be my pick. Caretaker in charge until he’s available. I can’t see them sacking Ole just yet though.

Litch

I like Rogers but understand previous Liverpool manager would put a lot of people off....

L1nk

Surprised Ten Hag has so many votes in the poll, but he’d be my pick. Caretaker in charge until he’s available. I can’t see them sacking Ole just yet though.
I think he's the only possible available option that plays any modern kind of system remotely relateable to our rivals, so i'm not surprised personally, I think people, myself included, are sick and tired of watching the amazing football the best teams across the continent play for multiple seasons now and wonder why we can't have the same thing

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you accept the risk in hiring someone who has to make the step up from a lower level (which is a fair concern to have) then he's the obvious choice really as he's the only potential option that plays that highly-coached, highly-attacking brand of football we ideally want. And with Ajax having just lit up Dortmund in the CL his strong points are fresh on the mind.

Marwood

Ten Hag would surely come tomorrow if given the chance. He isn't turning United down at 50.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ten Hag would surely come tomorrow if given the chance. He isn't turning United down at 50.
Depends what else he has on the backburner I suppose. He's been linked with Barca already and would be the obvious successor for Pep if he indeed stepped down next year. If those cubs have already given him signs of interest then he wouldn't necessarily feel the need to abandon a promising early season for Ajax right now just because we come calling.

In general though, you have a point. An Ajax manager is going to be careful in turning down any club our size.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
3 obvious candidates IMO, would be happy with any.
  • Conte - great tactician, would instill a lot of discipline and get the most out of the players that fit into his style. We have plenty of top players to make it work. Also an over abundance of attackers though that need trimming, regardless of manager, but he's a lot more specific in his tactical set up which could lead for limited minutes to some. My guess is our CB's work great for his back 3, he rotates Rashford and Greenwood, Ronaldo and Cavani, Bruno and Sancho or Pogba, but at first use Pogba deeper in midfield. Bit different using Pogba in a midfield 2 or 3 when also used with a back 3 so he might try that. Confident in short term success, question mark how long until he walks or gets sacked for being annoyed with the board? We are in a success window for a few years but in 3-4 years we'll need a solid rebuild again.
  • Zidane - obvious success at Madrid which has the question mark of can he be successful without that squad. Good thing we also have a fantastic squad. Players like Pogba, Varane, Ronaldo would be delighted and be key I'm sure. Zidane has a good understanding of what's needed for midfield balance (as he made Casemiro a key player when it wasn't working without him). Would be confident in short term success, question mark is when does he want to take over France/when will he get the chance
  • Ten Hag - obvious long term, progressive style type. Question mark, we have a squad built to win now and need a coach who can do so. How long would it take to play as he wants, how long would it take him to adapt to United and the prem, how many transfer windows and player turnover is needed? For a squad like the one we have, we should be thinking short term.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Agree to sign Ten Hag, his staff, and VDS at the end of the season.

Until then, a "winner stays on" approach. Keane in first, when he loses, bring in Mick McCarthy, he loses, someone else. Could get a charity involved etc.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This poll is misleading - insinuating Ten Hag and the like can walk in now.

Ten Hag won't leave Ajax mid-season. The Poll options I feel should be more realistic of : Zidane, Conte, Caretaker with more options at end of season (?)

JohnnyLaw

Ten hag will want to close out the season with Ajax doing well

Blanc as caretaker
I’d be content with this, Blanc is actually in a job already though and I doubt that he’d want to take the interim role without any ensurance that he’ll be considered for the permanent role if the team performs well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
3 obvious candidates IMO, would be happy with any.
  • Conte - great tactician, would instill a lot of discipline and get the most out of the players that fit into his style. We have plenty of top players to make it work. Also an over abundance of attackers though that need trimming, regardless of manager, but he's a lot more specific in his tactical set up which could lead for limited minutes to some. My guess is our CB's work great for his back 3, he rotates Rashford and Greenwood, Ronaldo and Cavani, Bruno and Sancho or Pogba, but at first use Pogba deeper in midfield. Bit different using Pogba in a midfield 2 or 3 when also used with a back 3 so he might try that. Confident in short term success, question mark how long until he walks or gets sacked for being annoyed with the board? We are in a success window for a few years but in 3-4 years we'll need a solid rebuild again.
  • Zidane - obvious success at Madrid which has the question mark of can he be successful without that squad. Good thing we also have a fantastic squad. Players like Pogba, Varane, Ronaldo would be delighted and be key I'm sure. Zidane has a good understanding of what's needed for midfield balance (as he made Casemiro a key player when it wasn't working without him). Would be confident in short term success, question mark is when does he want to take over France/when will he get the chance
  • Ten Hag - obvious long term, progressive style type. Question mark, we have a squad built to win now and need a coach who can do so. How long would it take to play as he wants, how long would it take him to adapt to United and the prem, how many transfer windows and player turnover is needed? For a squad like the one we have, we should be thinking short term.
Our CBs may well work well in Conte's back three, but we wouldn't have a lot of depth there would we? Varane injured right now, Lindelof had had ongoing problems, then if any of them are out you're down to Bailly and Jones.

DickDastardly

Why wouldn't managers leave in the middle of the season if a bigger club/better money becomes available?

You're telling me a branch manager of Mcdonalds in Amsterdam wouldnt want to come to Manchester for double the wages?
Or any big or small business. CEO of one bank isn't gonna come to a bigger wage in another bank because he's "in the middle of a fiscal year" or something like that?

It's not like managers have transfer windows.

saivet

This poll is misleading - insinuating Ten Hag and the like can walk in now.

Ten Hag won't leave Ajax mid-season. The Poll options I feel should be more realistic of : Zidane, Conte, Caretaker with more options at end of season (?)
The scary thing with this option is what happened last time. Ole until the end of the season, before appointing a full time manager was a sensible move after Jose. Giving him the job permanently was crazy but the timing of which was even crazier. Unless we announce the new manager prior to them coming in, I'd worry that they will make the same mistake again.

padzilla

Hipster
Ten Hag has already said he would consider the Newcastle job if they came in with an interesting proposition - don't see why United can't do the same.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The scary thing with this option is what happened last time. Ole until the end of the season, before appointing a full time manager was a sensible move after Jose. Giving him the job permanently was crazy but the timing of which was even crazier. Unless we announce the new manager prior to them coming in, I'd worry that they will make the same mistake again.
They won't, surely :lol:

Be funny if Ince got it for banter.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Our CBs may well work well in Conte's back three, but we wouldn't have a lot of depth there would we? Varane injured right now, Lindelof had had ongoing problems, then if any of them are out you're down to Bailly and Jones.
Shaw has experience playing as a LCB so I think it'd be fine. Conte isn't big on rotating as far as I know anyway, so it would be a case of how well he can balance fitness with consistent selection. I think the back 3 wouldn't be the issue. Would be what he does with Pogba/Bruno, or more accurately Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Ronaldo/Cavani/Martial/Lingard. That's just a lot of front 3 players, and if we do a 352, there's only 2 to pick between. If we go 343 then that's 3 spots but you can also then throw Bruno into the attack group mix. It's a problem that exists with any manager we pick tbh, but I think more so with Conte. Which is fine. Someone needs to sort out, but there's no way we have a long term plan with Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, and our other attackers all involved. There's no way to balance it.

GregM40

Rumours that Fletcher will take over as caretaker manager until a permanent candidate is found, makes me think they’re not gonna for Conte if so.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Rumours that Fletcher will take over as caretaker manager until a permanent candidate is found, makes me think they’re not gonna for Conte if so.
Probably for a few games, as long as Ole is gone and the process of replacing him is on, I don't mind Darren holding down the fort for a few games.

Flytan

If true, we still probably hire someone "permanently" (hopefully 2 year dear so easy out this summer) right before the international break and then he begins then.

lex talionis

Of course we’d all want Ten Hag to come in on Tuesday morning morning to sort this shit out, but that’s just not going to happen. It’s a bit concerning so many posters here think he’d drop Ajax right now and tell his club hasta la vista baby in the middle of a season.

The concerns about Conte are well founded. Zidane would be my pick but there’s nothing about him that suggests he’s interested in the United job.

The only realistic options are letting Ole sink the ship to the bottom of the ocean floor or bringing in a caretaker manager through the end of the season to steady the ship, keeping it afloat. We’re not winning any trophies this season anyway but we cannot risk getting dragged into the bottom half of the table.

OleBoiii

What happened to Hasenhüttl? He was a top 3(at least top 5) candidate in here less than a year ago!

It's scary to think how quickly someone can go from being an "obvious solution" to not even feature on a poll with 8 other managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.