Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee565

We really need a klopp, pep or tuchel type of manager that is not afraid to drop or sell on any player, conte is probably the most similar manager out there like that that would not bat an eye lid in dropping de gea, maguire, bruno or Ronaldo if he thought they don't fit his tactics.

Ten hag on the other hand I worry would struggle to have enough managerial leverage to impose himself on the big personalities and handle the scrutiny that would come with dropping big names.

lsd

The Oracle
50% of the caf want a manager from the Dutch league who is currently behind Ronaldo in the betting as he has no chance whatsoever of getting the job.

I despair

I feel like Christophe Galtier would be perfect.

• Stays at clubs for long periods
  • Heavy emphasis on youth development
  • Constricting pressing system
  • Consistently one of the best defensive structures of any coach in Europe
  • Expressive attacking system, not afraid to integrate individuals and adapt his tactics to them
  • Switches between multiple formations (4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 mainly) fluidly while always keeping the overall ethos
  • Very much team first. Will drop anyone, regardless of stature, who isn't in form or contributing.

He took Lille from 18th and going nowhere when he joined to eventual Champions, beating a megamillions PSG with a team of journeymen, young talents and under the radar signings. He made his players into tactical masters and pressing machines. He did it despite consistently developing and selling his best players for huge profits every season.

After winning the title with Lille he opted to join Nice, who finished 9th and conceded 53 goals the year before he joined. This year, they've got a game in hand to go 2nd and have the best defensive record in the league. Only PSG have scored more than them (while playing a game more). Across Europe only Bayern, Liverpool and City have a better xG than them. They've also become pressing machines, like Galtier's Lille side.

The best part is, his Lille side actually have a lot of similarities with our current squad. There are direct comparisons all over the pitch. For example, his right-back Zeki Celik is very much defend-first...so, despite starting in a 4-4-2, Galtier had him drop into defence to create a back 3 with the centre-backs when Lille were in possession, while his left back was given more attacking and creative freedom. He used two hard-working but limited central midfielders as the defensive cover and basically gave everyone else license to join the attacking play.

Does that not sound ridiculously suitable to our current squad?

This is worth a read for more depth.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
I feel like Christophe Galtier would be perfect.

• Stays at clubs for long periods
  • Heavy emphasis on youth development
  • Constricting pressing system
  • Consistently one of the best defensive structures of any coach in Europe
  • Expressive attacking system, not afraid to integrate individuals and adapt his tactics to them
  • Switches between multiple formations (4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 mainly) fluidly while always keeping the overall ethos
  • Very much team first. Will drop anyone, regardless of stature, who isn't in form or contributing.

He took Lille from 18th and going nowhere when he joined to eventual Champions, beating a megamillions PSG with a team of journeymen, young talents and under the radar signings. He made his players into tactical masters and pressing machines. He did it despite consistently developing and selling his best players for huge profits every season.

After winning the title with Lille he opted to join Nice, who finished 9th and conceded 53 goals the year before he joined. This year, they've got a game in hand to go 2nd and have the best defensive record in the league. Only PSG have scored more than them (while playing a game more). Across Europe only Bayern, Liverpool and City have a better xG than them. They've also become pressing machines, like Galtier's Lille side.

The best part is, his Lille side actually have a lot of similarities with our current squad. There are direct comparisons all over the pitch. For example, his right-back Zeki Celik is very much defend-first...so, despite starting in a 4-4-2, Galtier had him drop into defence to create a back 3 with the centre-backs when Lille were in possession, while his left back was given more attacking and creative freedom. He used two hard-working but limited central midfielders as the defensive cover and basically gave everyone else license to join the attacking play.

Does that not sound ridiculously suitable to our current squad?

This is worth a read for more depth.
Considering all viable options as of now, Galtier seems the best one if available for me too.

As a shortlist Gasperini is next in line as he can build a very good team that perform consistently well on a budget(however the defensive structure is not usually his strongest asset).

Ten Hag and Rose are mighty fine choices and on top of those I'd add Adi Hutter and Silvio Pioli, who might make the best out of having Cristiano in the team, considering he has used Ibra well and a moderate press whilst playing from the back and having a good structure in all lines.

Not sure whether Galtier/Rose/Hutter will be available now as they just started new jobs so if we're to look at them we need to have a caretaker till the end of the season.

Still every option out there will be a breath of fresh air of actually having someone with a plan and that knows what he's doing.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Realistically if Ole is to be replaced during the season, the only realistic options would be Zidane or Conte or Caretaker. Would be interesting to see a fresh poll on this, which option people would choose from those 3 outcomes, perhaps in another thread.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Ten Hag.

Even if he comes next season, sign him up now behind closed doors. Get a caretaker until then.

Flytan

Ten Hag.

Even if he comes next season, sign him up now behind closed doors. Get a caretaker until then.
I see this suggested a lot. Any names that can get us top 4 at least as a caretaker? Because there's a lot of football to be played, no reason to sacrifice the season by staying with ole or just giving up

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I see this suggested a lot. Any names that can get us top 4 at least as a caretaker? Because there's a lot of football to be played, no reason to sacrifice the season by staying with ole or just giving up
For a caretaker i don't know anyone specifically. But im sure there some out there, chelsea had avram grant who took them to fecking cl final.

Point being we can't do worse than were doing now, so its not a risk to get someone, anyone as a caretaker for 6 months.

Carolina Red

Staff
Ten Hag. Get him in. If he's willing to come at the end of the season, get the deal done ASAP before someone else comes in.

If Enrique can somehow be poached from Spain, he'd my 2nd option.

Zidane/Conte would be 3rd/4th.

All massive and major upgrades on Ole.
Ten Hag, Enrique, Conte , Zidane are my top 4 as well. I’d be absolutely tickled if we got one of them.

Winrar

Torn between Zidane and Ten Hag, personally.

Decided to stick with Zidane because he's the most readily available and has pedigree as a manager. Ten Hag wouldn't be bad if we can guarantee him for next season while having caretaker in between, or better yet he just comes but I don't know if he's going to abandon this season with Ajax.

lex talionis

I never thought I would write these words, but since it’s extremely unlikely we can bring in Ten Hag in the next few days, we might want to consider Steve Bruce.

Above all else, we’re a complete mess defensively and Bruce knows a few things about defending. All that’s left for us this season is stop the ship from sinking any further while the board conducts a proper evaluation to succeed Ole. Yes, it’s a humbling prospect to bring in Bruce but we cannot go on like this month after month.

Enigma_87

You know who
I never thought I would write these words, but since it’s extremely unlikely we can bring in Ten Hag in the next few days, we might want to consider Steve Bruce.

Above all else, we’re a complete mess defensively and Bruce knows a few things about defending. All that’s left for us this season is stop the ship from sinking any further while the board conducts a proper evaluation to succeed Ole. Yes, it’s a humbling prospect to bring in Bruce but we cannot go on like this month after month.
Would strengthen the long line of nepotism when choosing our next manager at the club.

mu4c_20le

Ten Hag is probably headed for Newcastle. They are pushing hard for him with Overmars as DoF. And as glamourous as the United job is, he'd have a much bigger chance of success at a proper set up tbh. Zidane would be a much better fit as he would immediately command respect.

FatTails

For me, the order would be something like this:

Luis Enrique
Zidane
Ten hag
Conte
Pochettino
Rodgers

Potter
Thomas Frank

Keep Ole

Southgate
Steve Bruce
My list is still like this. Luis Enrique would be my favourite choice if he can be convinced.

Idxomer

Bad idea, he was the worst manager in the league with Ole before he was sacked.

BlueHaze

I've officially seen it all now. Lad above actually wants Bruce. Fecking hell.

BorisManUtd

I remember back when Mourinho was sacked there were rumours of Blanc taking over as a caretaker until the end of the season, we obviously went for Ole but maybe he could be the answer IF we're looking for a caretaker.

lex talionis

Bad idea, he was the worst manager in the league with Ole before he was sacked.
I’m not suggesting Bruce is the answer to all our woes. But we’re a fecking mess defensively and while we conduct our search for the answer Bruce can help us sort the defensive mess out. It’s not hard to see Ole masterminding another colossal clusterfeck against Spurs, who have done it to Ole before. Or, we can just stick with Ole while we wait for Ten Hag to wrap the season up with Ajax.

I’d be thrilled to bring in Zidane but there’s no chance he’d be interested in taking on this disaster.

Son

For a caretaker i don't know anyone specifically. But im sure there some out there, chelsea had avram grant who took them to fecking cl final.

Point being we can't do worse than were doing now, so its not a risk to get someone, anyone as a caretaker for 6 months.
We have a caretaker manager already in charge tbf. He’s still here 3 years later

BlueHaze

Ten Hag is the profile we should go for but knowing this board you just know they'd be going all in for a big name. I don't trust them to get anything right. They havn't even layed a key foundation for success which is to bring in a top quality dof once and for all. Instead they gave the role to some other Glazer poster boy and brought in Fletcher for some sort of comitee...

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Why on earth would we get a caretaker manager? We have enough time left in the season to go on and still have relative success. We should go out and get the best option there is who is available now. I would test the water with Rodgers. I think he would walk away from Leicester for the United job. Failing that, I think I'd go with Conte. Not a fan of his style of play but he would whip them into shape and get us going in a positive direction. Zidane would be my third choice, mostly because I don't think he would want to come to England.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Never mind the manager, we should get David Gill back and he would sort out the shitshow is the board. They hired Moyes and let him start in July and a panic buy of Fellaini. Then LVG who did win an FA Cup to be fair but wasn’t a United type manager. Jose lived in a bloody hotel all the time he was here. Then they hired Ole mainly because he’s cheaper than a top top manager. Just now, I take anyone other than Ole and his none-coaching staff.
According to the Athletic Gill has been more present around the club lately.

dpansheth

Ten Hag is the profile we should go for but knowing this board you just know they'd be going all in for a big name. I don't trust them to get anything right. They havn't even layed a key foundation for success which is to bring in a top quality dof once and for all. Instead they gave the role to some other Glazer poster boy and brought in Fletcher for some sort of comitee...
Yeah no chance of this board going with Ten Hag. Glazers have always appointed a well known name at Tempa, so they’ll also follow the same path herw

Son

I’m not suggesting Bruce is the answer to all our woes. But we’re a fecking mess defensively and while we conduct our search for the answer Bruce can help us sort the defensive mess out. It’s not hard to see Ole masterminding another colossal clusterfeck against Spurs, who have done it to Ole before. Or, we can just stick with Ole while we wait for Ten Hag to wrap the season up with Ajax.

I’d be thrilled to bring in Zidane but there’s no chance he’d be interested in taking on this disaster.
So apparently now Newcastle have got billionaire owners Bruce isn’t good enough for their vision but good enough for United’s top four hopes?

Can we please stop giving jobs for the boys please just because they played for us once upon a time. The groundskeeper will be in charge next as they have “United DNA”.

BlueHaze

Why on earth would we get a caretaker manager? We have enough time left in the season to go on and still have relative success. We should go out and get the best option there is who is available now. I would test the water with Rodgers. I think he would walk away from Leicester for the United job. Failing that, I think I'd go with Conte. Not a fan of his style of play but he would whip them into shape and get us going in a positive direction. Zidane would be my third choice, mostly because I don't think he would want to come to England.
Rodgers really isn't anything special. He's mostly notorious for the remarkable and comical fashion in which he threw away a certain league title for Liverpool. I'm dead certain he wouldn't achieve anything special here.

lex talionis

So apparently now Newcastle have got billionaire owners Bruce isn’t good enough for their vision but good enough for United’s top four hopes?

Can we please stop giving jobs for the boys please just because they played for us once upon a time. The groundskeeper will be in charge next as they have “United DNA”.
Then it has to be Ten Hag on Tuesday so that we have enough tone to sort it out the defending for Spurs.

What I think we’re going to find out is that top managers will want nothing to do with the stench at Old Trafford.

pixel

Err...where's the white text :confused:

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Any of those mentioned would be an enormous upgrade on Ole. It seems Zidane is the favourite on this poll but I believe he's not interested in the job.

Voted Rodgers. But my main choice will cause controversy and also those who only look at results won’t realise how great he is but to get this team pressing and playing with intensity equal to Klopp and Pep within 2 months only Biesla is proven in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.