Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

If he's entertaining Spurs it means we snubbed him and we're stuck with Ole for the season. Spurs weren't expected to do shit this season and still fire their manager because their board sees that he wasn't the guy. They go and rectify the mistake almost immediately.

Our board doubles down on him and continues to emotionally blackmail the fanbase.
Yeah snubbing him will prove to be utter stupidity I am certain of that

AussieDevil

At this point who cares, the club isn’t going to act and we are going to get Rodgers at the end of the season. It’s as nailed on as can be.

Might as well go for the vibes and being in the whole Co92.

We continually miss the boat on all the top managers and then settle for past it managers or someone with no pedigree as a manager.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's twice the manager Ole is, and that's being kind to Ole.

I don't want him either, but let's not violate the man by comparing him to Ole
There's a lot of similarities between the two. First of all both had been around more then one can think. Ole has been managing since 2011 while Rodgers had been managing since 2008. They have escaped the limelight not because they are new in the job but simply because they had been unsuccessful at it. That means that there is nothing novel or groundbreaking in their management. This is clear in the way they act. Rodgers fell out with a modernized Liverpool who was relying more and more on data analysis regarding transfers while Ole is obsessed with riding the nostalgia train. These are stubborn old school managers who are on their way to become football dinosaurs.

Both managers rely heavily on their man management to paper the cracks and both have managed a top club and had bottled it. This guy has 3 years more managerial experience then Ole does and has only an FA cup and charity shield to show for it. I am pretty sure that if Ole stays here for another 3 years then he'll probably win a mickey mouse cup just as Brendan did.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Spurs are still Spurs with Conte. Of course it's one more competitor for that 4th place (doubt the club can get higher) but Spurs squad is very weak and in the end that's what wins you games

croadyman

We might have a decent squad but this management, ownership and coaching staff is making me want to walk away from this club for the good of my own health because nothing is gonna change by the looks of it

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Who is the better manager? Ole or nuno? Ole or conte? Its strange world conte and nuno is out of job while 5-0 ole still secure in his isn't it? Zidane too out of job. Management is indeed a strange world.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
It would be a terrible mistake to hire Ten Hag or any other "modern coach" that deploys counter-pressing as long as Cristiano is here.
He's a very good coach, and personally I think you would've been better off with a coach like Ten Hag than a player like Cristiano, but you're not going to release him anytime soon are you? And he's not going to accept to play second fiddle.

With Cristiano and Cavani I think you would be better off having a more conservative, pragmatic coach. I'm not a fan of Zidane as a coach, but I think he would suit you. Defend in greater numbers, let Cristiano, Cavani, Bruno and late runs from Pogba or VDB take care of the attack.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
If you asked every Liverpool fan in the world whether they’d take back Rodgers over Klopp you would not find ONE who would. Surely that makes him a non-starter…

It would make United a laughing stock with the dippers…

Dansk

There are problems at this club that clearly go beyond the manager's personal performance. SAF held it together, but the cracks were showing even in his last few seasons. Whatever the exact nature of these issues are, it's clear that we've been stifled by them for about a decade now. Until that's fixed, I don't think it really matters who manages the players. Given the fact that we've seen all the same problems for the better part of a decade, with four different managers (five if you count the tail end of SAF's tenure), why would Conte's arrival suddenly solve it all?

I don't think Ole has a future here, and a better manager would probably bring a small bump to performances on the pitch, but I don't think it'll do much more than that if everything else stays the same. The toxic owners, the lottery-like wage structure, the incomprehensible transfer practices and the outdated club culture will all remain no matter what we call the guy who oversees training and picks the lineups. Until the actual board realizes that these things need to change, noone is going to be able to bring more than minor improvements to on-pitch tactics and such.

dal

Personally I think the club is being run very very well it’s the fan base that need a some guidance.

largelyworried

Personally I think the club is being run very very well it’s the fan base that need a some guidance.
Given that we seem to be facing a 9th season in a row without a title challenge, in what respects would you say we’re well run?

Dansk

Yeah, the fans are to blame for a decade of chronic underperformance and a transfer failure rate of at least 75%. Must be us doing that. Maybe with some guidance for the posters on Redcafe.net, the players will perform better. I can see the sense in what you're saying, it's a very strong argument backed by rational ideas.

MichaelRed

Aye, to be fair I did hear louder boos from Spurs fans for a substitution made at 1-0 down than I heard from our fans after a 5-0 home defeat against our greatest rivals. Maybe our fans do need some guidance.

Daengophile

What do we do now?

We keep moving onwards and upwards!

Any deviation from this path shall result in changes of personnel

dal

Given that we seem to be facing a 9th season in a row without a title challenge, in what respects would you say we’re well run?
I was implying the last two years, I think some fail to remember just how bad our squad was two years ago, then I was happy with a four year plan for a league title and I still am.

devilish

I was implying the last two years, I think some fail to remember just how bad our squad was two years ago, then I was happy with a four year plan for a title challenge and I still am.
that squad ended up second and actually won the Europa league. 415M later and Ole sees the former as his finest achievement and would probably sell his soul for the latter.

largelyworried

I was implying the last two years, I think some fail to remember just how bad our squad was two years ago, then I was happy with a four year plan for a title challenge and I still am.
Four years just to challenge for the title is a ridiculously low bar to be honest.

GreatDane

I was implying the last two years, I think some fail to remember just how bad our squad was two years ago, then I was happy with a four year plan for a league title and I still am.
Well ran and coached big clubs don't need 4 years for a rebuild. That's just Ole and the board hiding.
Ole is not good enough and the owners don't give a feck.

dal

that squad ended up second and actually won the Europa league. 415M later and Ole sees the former as his finest achievement and would probably sell his soul for the latter.
For me the progress is seen through two consecutive top 4 finishes not a second rate European trophy. Granted we need to build on that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Conte won't accept Spurs until Ole has gotten through City and the CL game.

Let's see that first. If he gets sacked through that then Conte will run to us.

If it doesn't happen then Ole gets the sack at the end of the season then we go for Ten Hag hopefully instead.
You hope.

There’s no way he’s waiting a week to see if we “maybe” make a move.

He’s gone. He’s going Spurs, things moved very quickly yesterday & I expect it to be confirmed today.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
You hope.

There’s no way he’s waiting a week to see if we “maybe” make a move.

He’s gone. He’s going Spurs, things moved very quickly yesterday & I expect it to be confirmed today.
Yeah then I expect that we already were in contact with Conte and him and the Glazers didn't see eye to eye.

It seems weird for Conte to suddenly start running to the spurs job after rejecting them once and arguably all the noise coming from our side first after the Liverpool loss.

devilish

For me the progress is seen through two consecutive top 4 finishes not a second rate European trophy. Granted we need to build on that.
That doesn't remove the fact that after 3 years and over 415m spent, Ole has yet to top Mourinho's achievements. But let's have a look at this so called progress. Ole's major signing in his first year was Maguire. It was a bold move which costed the club 80m in cash. 180M later the defense is in such a shambles that we're playing a 5 men defense + 2 defensive minded midfielders. Not only had Maguire been a crap captain but he's become an error generating machine. In fact we've conceded 15 goals this season more then the likes of Brendford, West Ham and Brighton and just 1 less goal then Spurs who are a mess. That's not an anomaly. VDB was Summer 2 major signing. He barely got a sniff of first team football. By the looks of it our 3rd summer major signing is set to follow his lead as a desperate Ole look set to change system from a winger based system to a wingback system. That's nearly 200m worth of investment which was thrown in the bin.

Ole has been hailed as the guy who'll play academy players. Yet apart from Greenwood, no one had been given a first team run. Instead the club had been busy giving contract extensions to the likes of Jesse, Mata, Matic, Grant and was busy signing Mcshane and Heaton. We've been told that Ole is building for the future. That's quite ironic considering that most of his first team players are either in the wrong end of their 20s or in their 30s (DDG, Maguire, Varane, Bruno, Pogba, Cavani, Ronaldo, Matic, Fred). Tactically and coaching wise United are a shambles and next year the club is embracing in exodus of talent as Pogba, Jesse and probably VDB will leave the club either on free or on cheap.

Nuno got sacked despite Spurs are just 2 points below us. Spurs operate on far lower transfer budgets then us, their best player wants out and they had far more difficult fixtures then us having already faced Chelsea, City and Arsenal. So seriously I can't see how can anyone speak of progress here.

YikesSchmeics

Conte isn’t really someone I‘m too excited by, but you’re crazy if you think Solskjaer is a better manager than he is.

I guess we’re sadly just going to have to wait and see. If Conte’s Spurs usurp us for Top 4 since I can’t see City, Chelsea or Liverpool dropping out, then Solskjaer goes the second that Top 4 is gone. No ifs or buts. No more reprieves. All lives used up. Gone. I say he goes if theres no title challenge or silverware. Scraping into 4th is still a sack.

I do not agree with that way of working by any means. I think it’s a shit way of working and shows how clueless the board is. It’s crazy to put all your eggs in the basket of one man, unless that one man is a world class manager. There’s plenty of examples around the world that it isn’t the end of the world to sack an underperforming manager during the season and get a new one who immediately gets the team looking better, Maybe one day, our clueless board will learn that.
Bayern sacked Niko Kovac after a terrible start to the season, culminating in a 5-1 defeat at Eintracht Frankfurt, and went on the win the treble.

But of course, here at MUFC, the cult of the manager means we stick with him through all mediocrity because Fergie said so.

devilish

Yeah then I expect that we already were in contact with Conte and him and the Glazers didn't see eye to eye.

It seems weird for Conte to suddenly start running to the spurs job after rejecting them once and arguably all the noise coming from our side first after the Liverpool loss.
Allegri left his job at Juventus totally confident that United, PSG, Real and co would be fighting one another for his signature. He ended up back were he left in a weakened Juventus side. Conte has probably learnt from that and is in no mood of begging for his Inter's job back.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

Spurs are actually a more lucrative job for him right now, if you think about it from a personal standpoint. Don’t think he rejected them, I think it was more talks broke down.Right now Spurs are desperate, Conte has some history with them, now he can get paid what he wants and demand certain requirements from Levy. Spurs are in free fall and are wounded and Conte is getting, I would assume, everything he wants and then some.

Mickson

There are problems at this club that clearly go beyond the manager's personal performance. SAF held it together, but the cracks were showing even in his last few seasons. Whatever the exact nature of these issues are, it's clear that we've been stifled by them for about a decade now. Until that's fixed, I don't think it really matters who manages the players. Given the fact that we've seen all the same problems for the better part of a decade, with four different managers (five if you count the tail end of SAF's tenure), why would Conte's arrival suddenly solve it all?

I don't think Ole has a future here, and a better manager would probably bring a small bump to performances on the pitch, but I don't think it'll do much more than that if everything else stays the same. The toxic owners, the lottery-like wage structure, the incomprehensible transfer practices and the outdated club culture will all remain no matter what we call the guy who oversees training and picks the lineups. Until the actual board realizes that these things need to change, noone is going to be able to bring more than minor improvements to on-pitch tactics and such.
Because we haven't had a great manager and Conte is a great manager? Do you really think we would struggle under Pep or Klopp?

Salford_Red83

We, as fans need do more to show our discontent with the Glazer ownership in my opinion. What we a currently experiencing is purely down to them and the way they run the club.

We seem to be the only "elite" club that is happy to accept such mediocrity, or at least not kick up much of a fuss. And it's utter baffling why.

largelyworried

But Klopp took 4-5 seasons to win it.
He reached the Champions League final in his second full season, won the Champions league & challenged for the league in his 3rd and won the league in his 4th. So quit with the spurious comparisons.

sdb4884

Conte was the perfect guy for us. He's a winner like Fergie was. He'll do well for Spurs. I don't think Rodgers should be the guy but he's probably a shue in now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Spurs are actually a more lucrative job for him right now, if you think about it from a personal standpoint. Don’t think he rejected them, I think it was more talks broke down.Right now Spurs are desperate, Conte has some history with them, now he can get paid what he wants and demand certain requirements from Levy. Spurs are in free fall and are wounded and Conte is getting, I would assume, everything he wants and then some.

Yeah all I'm saying is that if Conte and Spurs's talks broke down once too -

Why are people so sure ours with him didn't aswell?

Spurs and Conte were not in talks as far as we now a week a go and the rumours were more with us because everyone was pushing the club to sack Ole and hire Conte right?

What's to say the talks with Conte and the Glazers didn't go well and the Glazers then decided to keep Ole longer?

Wilt

Conte was the perfect guy for us. He's a winner like Fergie was. He'll do well for Spurs. I don't think Rodgers should be the guy but he's probably a shue in now.
Agree about Conte but can’t imagine Brendan at Utd …no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.