Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

::sonny::

Southgate or Pochettino, but the most likely thing is Ole to remain whatever happens

Cloud7

Southgate or Pochettino, but the most likely thing is Ole to remain whatever happens

If Gareth is the alternative I would rather we keep Ole. At least he was a former player so there’s something to like about him as a manager. Southgate is the worst of all the names that are thrown about to be our next manager.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Here's the three Managers mentioned most often in here European results.

ManagerCompetitionClubGamesWDLGFGAGDW %
Pochettino​
CL​
Paris SG​
10​
4​
3​
3​
17​
14​
3​
40%​
Pochettino​
CL​
Tottenham​
31​
15​
6​
10​
57​
42​
15​
48%​
Pochettino​
Europa​
Tottenham​
22​
10​
6​
6​
34​
23​
11​
45%​
ten Hag​
CL​
Ajax​
28​
15​
6​
7​
55​
28​
27​
54%​
ten Hag​
Europa​
Ajax​
8​
5​
1​
2​
13​
8​
5​
63%​
Rodgers​
CL​
Celtic​
12​
1​
3​
8​
10​
34​
-24​
8%​
Rodgers​
CL​
Liverpool​
6​
1​
2​
3​
5​
9​
-4​
17%​
Rodgers​
Europa​
Leicester​
11​
5​
3​
3​
20​
13​
7​
45%​
Rodgers​
Europa​
Celtic​
10​
4​
0​
6​
7​
14​
-7​
40%​
Rodgers​
Europa​
Liverpool​
14​
6​
4​
4​
23​
21​
2​
43%​

No matter how you dress it up, if you look at individual clubs, look at combined competition stats or look at all of their european stats combined, ten Hag is clearly the best by a country mile.
If we don't get him the caf is going to go into collective depression.

wolvored

Whoever comes in, needs to insist on bringing his own backroom staff in. No more jobs for the boys, Carrick, Phelan and McKenna shit, or move them to the kids section if the board insist they stop on.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've always been 'Ole in' but even I have completely lost faith now, and I firmly believe its time for a new boss.
Having said that though, this club has fecked up a catalogue of major decisions over the past decade, and even if Solskjaer was sacked, I very much doubt that the right man would be appointed, and the repetitious cycle would begin all over again...

I suppose I've lost faith with the club even more than I have lost faith with Solskjaer..!!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Whoever comes in, needs to insist on bringing his own backroom staff in. No more jobs for the boys, Carrick, Phelan and McKenna shit, or move them to the kids section if the board insist they stop on.
A bit harsh I would say, but I do feel there are coaching issues between the staff which may have been solved by the introduction of a very experienced coach soon after Ole got the job permanently.
Carrick was obviously a very good player, which often doesn't relate to becoming a top coach, but he would probably be useful on the training ground working with some of the younger midfield players. Phelan appears to be the dogsbody, and McKenna is highly rated, but either the players are not listening to him, or his ideas are not working, but there seems to be a need for a new outlook, or, dare I say 'philosophy' within the squad, and someone who can organise a defence.

Vaibhav Raj

Ideally when the team is going to have one manager replacing the previous one, we'd want for the new manager to take the existing tactics team has been training, has shown to be effective with and improve upon it rather than come in and try to implement something brand new. In Ole's case, we'd want the new manager to be able to use the 4-2-3-1 formation and continue with the counter attacking style of football and improve upon it. Maybe we don't press as much because this team looks mightily unorganised when players are asked to run and press. Then, within due time and a couple of transfer window (mainly midfielders), the counter attacking style can transition to a more controlled, more press and posession oriented football. There has to be some plan and continuity in our hiring of managers. Hiring the likes of LvG then hiring the complete opposite in Mourinho before going to Solskjaer i.e. managers with starkly different philosophies is constantly putting us back in rebuild phase.

Idxomer

Here's the three Managers mentioned most often in here European results.

ManagerCompetitionClubGamesWDLGFGAGDW %
Pochettino​
CL​
Paris SG​
10​
4​
3​
3​
17​
14​
3​
40%​
Pochettino​
CL​
Tottenham​
31​
15​
6​
10​
57​
42​
15​
48%​
Pochettino​
Europa​
Tottenham​
22​
10​
6​
6​
34​
23​
11​
45%​
ten Hag​
CL​
Ajax​
28​
15​
6​
7​
55​
28​
27​
54%​
ten Hag​
Europa​
Ajax​
8​
5​
1​
2​
13​
8​
5​
63%​
Rodgers​
CL​
Celtic​
12​
1​
3​
8​
10​
34​
-24​
8%​
Rodgers​
CL​
Liverpool​
6​
1​
2​
3​
5​
9​
-4​
17%​
Rodgers​
Europa​
Leicester​
11​
5​
3​
3​
20​
13​
7​
45%​
Rodgers​
Europa​
Celtic​
10​
4​
0​
6​
7​
14​
-7​
40%​
Rodgers​
Europa​
Liverpool​
14​
6​
4​
4​
23​
21​
2​
43%​

No matter how you dress it up, if you look at individual clubs, look at combined competition stats or look at all of their european stats combined, ten Hag is clearly the best by a country mile.
Ajax also have less resources than any of those teams except Celtic.

Smores

I'm not sure i could take a Southgate appointment. We don't deserve that surely.

Pronewbie

Peep
Why's Goldbridge going on about Zidane joining us? I can't see it happening as long as he isn't interested in English football and doesn't have an affinity for us.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Why's Goldbridge going on about Zidane joining us? I can't see it happening as long as he isn't interested in English football and doesn't have an affinity for us.
Reports from Spain. Cant see it happend either, maybe next summer.

Dansk

Simeone is a very defensive type, but he is a proven world class manager that can operate and can handle with not so much money, and can sell/buy players to navigate his team to the top table. One very important thing, that just a very few manager can do is to build a team from the scratch, and he definitely can.
I always got the feeling that he's the type of manager who works well under the specific circumstances that he's operating within at Atletico. The club trusts him completely and it appears that he gets to be formally in charge in a way that other managers often don't. This is just my intuition, not based on careful research, but I could see him being the kind of manager who couldn't go on to replicate that at another club--particularly one as mired in toxic ownership and dysfunctional club culture as this one.

He's not exactly known for pleasant, progressive football, either. Not that this is more important than results, but I think there would be a lot of complaints if he was appointed and brought with him his brand of siege mentality and pitbull football. The media would have a field day if United suddenly made it an official policy to play defensive, brutish football, and I could see pundits rubbing their hands at the chance to put pressure on the club from day one. People would stand in line to harvest views and Twitter shares by moaning about United selling out the soul of the club and what other nonsense they'd come up with. Other clubs like Chelsea are allowed to play dreary football for seasons on end without being held accountable, but anytime United aren't living up to people's ideals of beautiful attacking football, people come out of the woodworks to harp on about it.

Vaibhav Raj

Because he knows then people will watch his videos and give him views (or twitter interactions or whatever). Pretty much the same reason why tabloids spread false rumours of random players transferring to us.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I know his stock has somewhat fallen but I do think Pochettino is a brilliant candidate.

What he did at Spurs was pretty incredible. The results were good, they got to a CL final, all that. But actually just how competitive they were. They could go toe to toe with top sides, it wasn't about cowering, or getting through games with pragmatism. He built a proper side with energy, quality and the tactical framework to pull it off.

He understands English football, he handles himself as a United manager should. I also think regardless of how this PSG affair ends up he will have learnt a lot handling that calibre of player and the expectation. Let's be honest he probably will win the league so the fact he hasn't won anything won't be a stick to beat him with.
Sign either Poch or Ten Hag and I'll be the happiest I've been in 8 years on the managerial front. I'm not sure all the blame can be put on Poch the way Spurs crumbled after the CL final. At that time there was a lot of unrest mainly due to Levys pay structure and a lot of players were looking for an out. That obviously is going to have an overall effect on how the team played.

I really thought we would of got him in December of 2019. Oles job was once again on the line before he played Spurs and City with Poch without a club waiting in the wings but of course Ole pulled one of his Houdini acts for the thousandth time and here we still are.

Lee565

I think zidane would be best suited to the squad we have, his real Madrid team was not known for high pressing and had a lot of luxury type of players in the first team

steffyr2

Get used to Thursday night football. Unless the owners start losing money, Ole isn't going anywhere. He'll sink the ship to keep his dream job, regardless of how he wrecks this team. There was never any chance that we would hire Conte. He would have exposed how poorly we've been run and how incompetent our top management is. Besides, how do they explain Oles long contract he just signed? We ain't winning ANYTHING as long as we are owned by inept clowns and will likely chase away a significant number of our players. Pogba, Bailly, DVB, Martial, Lingard, Mata, Matic, Amad, Telles,... will likely be gone in a year. I hope I'm wrong but it fits the Glazers typical script. One that keeps the ATM open and keeps us loyal fans on a short rope.
iirc, we've won quite a lot with those 'inept clowns'.

Just want to say -- if you want to fix the Utd board, the only way to do it is to work thru those 'inept clowns'.

Perhaps those clowns see things perfectly clearly and would like to make changes to improve how the club is run, but are constantly prevented from doing so by that block of fans who will riot at the slightest hint of change.

Plus all those people currently sucking off Utd's teat at the moment won't go quietly.

Longshanks

I think most of us are of the opinion that Ole has taken us as far as possible and we should be looking for a new manager.

So what are the viable options? Do we sack him now? If so who can we convince to take over mid season? Do we hope that he can at least steady the ship and keep us in the top 4 come the end of the season? And then who do we go for? Or do we go down the route of employing a caretaker and if so who?

My personal opinion is that he should go now, todays setup and performace and tipped me over the edge, I was willing to give him to the end of the season but today was so poor that is has swayed me.

If we were to sack him I would go for Graham Potter because I'm pretty sure we could get him to come and I think he is a very good coach it would be a risk though with his realitive inexperience.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Yakuza_devils

We are running out of option. The last available world class manager already taken by Spurs.

Ten Hag and Zidane are reported not interested or won't come in mid season.

Seriously, what is the realistic option we have now?

Ruben Amorin? Christophe Galtier?

laughtersassassin

Yes we sack him now. Zero argument to Keep him.

If we can't get the manager we want long terms we got for a tactically astute caretaker.

Simple as that.

Lots of options for the caretaker role. Not so many for the permanent one.

SER19

Has to be sacked. None available til summer? Get a caretaker. Nothing gets better by keeping him

A club of United's size should make it impossible for ten hag, Zidane or even Rodgers to say no.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Literally anybody as a caretaker. Not a ‘United’ man.

koop

Always been Ole in because of giving him time to rebuild and get a squad.
Now he's got one we are playing the worst under him, I don't get it.
Right now I'm wanting him to get sacked just so its something new to look forward too :boring:

Cloud7

We need to make Ten Haag an offer he can’t refuse to join us mid season. Give him whatever wage and assurances he demands.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ole is bottom of the barrel anyway. There's plenty of good managers. You just have to go and get them.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I've never heard of a club refusing to sack a manager because of a lack of interim options available. That's just an excuse by the board to keep Ole in the job.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Get in Hassenhutl! Only three points behind us with an abysmal squad, having been forced to sell all but one of his best players in the summer.

ShinjiNinja26

Sack him right away. I’m convinced we’ll look a lot better regardless of who comes in. Get a caretaker in to see out the season and then throw the kitchen sink at getting Ten Hag.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just sack him, Ronaldo as caretaker until Zidane changes his mind

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Sack him right away. I’m convinced we’ll look a lot better regardless of who comes in. Get a caretaker in to see out the season and then throw the kitchen sink at getting Ten Hag.
It's only just November. We should be looking for something better than just a caretaker.

slored1

I can see Valverde. Ten Hag and Rodgers won't come, Zidane already rejected us. Who else?

AussieDevil

I want Ole gone now, but I genuinely don’t think the right man is available right now, the thought of a caretaker just frustrates me as much as keeping Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.