Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_cliff

The top 4 won’t be decided by Christmas, behave. It’s far too competitive for that.
We have 7 more league fixtures until the Ligue 1 break which is from the 22nd December to the 7th of Jan. we've got 4 points in our last 7, if we get a similar amount in our next 7 I'm sorry to break it to you but we'll be out of the top 4 race.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How is it different at United?
At United the manager has a total control outside of ridiculous transfers because apparently we have more people working on it now, which is good. But the overall picture relies on the manager and what he wants. PSG is a propaganda team. United is clueless (which is why it relies on the manager heavily) but at least not that kind of team. More freedom for Poch if he works here for sure.

croadyman

Most fans seem to want Ten Hag, and he seems the obvious long term option. However, I have a horrible feeling that the club will go for Poch because he’s seen as a “bigger name”
I can absolutely live with Pochettino getting the job provided none of our league rivals take Ten Hag in the next few years

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Only the Bundesliga has a winter break among top leagues.
The PL has recently implemented something similar to a winter break other leagues have. I think it's like a 2 weeks break very team get in January, started about 2 or 3 seasons ago.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's nonsense in the sense it won't happen. It's not nonsense in the sense that it is a good reason not to take the job. Other clubs also have footballing infrastructures yes. But not ones that lace marketing above football and actually inhibit you from reshaping the team.
No one would seriously suggest something like that, he would be at the mercy of the board and executives everywhere and in most big clubs they won't care much about your thoughts and feelings.

liamp

How is it different at United?
Because Murtough isn't nearly as established as Leonardo is and my guess is that Ed would happily take responsibilities away from Murtough and give them to Poch if that was a condition for him coming.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I can absolutely live with Pochettino getting the job provided none of our league rivals take Ten Hag in the next few years
Well, someone will take Ten Hag if we don’t get him, whether it’s a league rival or another top European club

Telsim

I have a sinking feeling not going for Ten Hag will be a grave mistake. Made significantly worse if he goes to City/Liverpool in the coming years.

MUFC OK

Disneyland
This is the biggest obstacle to him.
Most fans seem to want Ten Hag, and he seems the obvious long term option. However, I have a horrible feeling that the club will go for Poch because he’s seen as a “bigger name”
I don’t think that’s the reason: more his ability to deliver top 4 until his last season at Spurs, his personality, attacking football and promoting youth players, plus he is mates with Sir Alex.

I just don’t see this club going for Ten Hag if I’m honest, despite himhaving the highest potential upside. Quite concerned that he will join city after Pep in a fairly seamless transition.

croadyman

Well, someone will take Ten Hag if we don’t get him, whether it’s a league rival or another top European club
Another european club gives me slim hopes of him replacing Pochettino, however join a City/Chelsea/scousers and its dead in the water was my point

croadyman

This is the biggest obstacle to him.

I don’t think that’s the reason: more his ability to deliver top 4 until his last season at Spurs, his personality, attacking football and promoting youth players, plus he is mates with Sir Alex.

I just don’t see this club going for Ten Hag if I’m honest, despite himhaving the highest potential upside. Quite concerned that he will join city after Pep in a fairly seamless transition.
Yeah dreading City approaching him

Sparky Rhiwabon

Another european club gives me slim hopes of him replacing Pochettino, however join a City/Chelsea/scousers and its dead in the water was my point
I think we can forget Ten Hag if we don’t get him this time - he'll go to a top top club next, he doesn’t need another stepping stone

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Pros
- Plays attacking football
- Promotes youth
- Is experienced in the Champions League
- Is experienced in the Premier League
- Appears to really want to come to Man Utd

Cons
- Question marks over his ability to deliver major trophies

Yeah, the pros definitely outweigh the con for appointing Pochettino.

theklr

Well, Poch is better than Rodgers so its not the worst alternative

lsd

The Oracle
Well if that's his take on it then you can tell he knows the score here. I totally agree with him.

While it would be so the way to go it probably turns United of hiring him as Carrick and co apparently come with the position

Devil may care

can we play that game though with our current squad. Ronaldo doesn't press, our midfield isn't comfortable in possession. It might be why these managers would prefer to come in next season, so they can add a couple of players to more suit their preferred style of play
Ronaldo's lack of workrate is going to be an issue for any manager, on top of that we can't appoint a manager based on what suits him as he's only here for one more season. My preference would be to get an old stager in as interim and let Ten Hag start in the summer.

Is it strange I want him more after seeing this sort of thing.

Yes, for starters it could be completely made up, and I'm sure loads of managers would quit their current gig to cone to United, he'd hardly be unique in that regard.

So the 3 stooges would be in charge until then? We can kiss goodbye to top 4 if this is the plan.

JPRouve

Scout
Pros
- Promotes youth

Cons

Does he promotes youth? In six season outside of Winks has he meaningfully promoted someone?

Devil may care

While it would be so the way to go it probably turns United of hiring him as Carrick and co apparently come with the position
Any manager that doesn't immediately boot them is a pointless hire, they are every bit as unfit for purpose as Ole was.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yes, for starters it could be completely made up, and I'm sure loads of managers would quit their current gig to cone to United, he'd hardly be unique in that regard.
It could be made up - but really, how many managers of clubs with actual real CL aspirations are giving up their gig to come to this?

Bertie Wooster

I didn't really want Pochettino when he was linked years ago. I thought he was good but there were more appealing options at that time.

However, at this stage, all likely options come with pros and cons - none of them are as appealing or proven as the likes of Guardiola, Conte, Tuchel. So I think either Pochettino and Ten Hag are the options that sound the best.

I'd accept Rodgers, but see him as a Moyes type appointment who, like Solskjaer as well, I could see getting us to a certain level but not beyond. All of the likely managers are probably like that, in contrast to the top managers at our rivals, but Pochettino and Ten Hag are probably the pick of the candidates for me.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Any manager that doesn't immediately boot them is a pointless hire, they are every bit as unfit for purpose as Ole was.
Do we know that? I've worked in collectively dysfunctional management teams containing individually competent people.

Conor

His progress in the CL with a team constantly stripped of its best players, along with promotion of young talent outweighs anything Poch has done bar one hot streak with Harry Kane in the form of his life. Poch has never rebuilt a team to acheive those same heights and IMO his style of play isn't on the same level either.

What Ten Hag has done with Haller makes you wonder what he could do with Ronaldo.
Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Ten Hag over Poch, but it's not like there is an insane gulf in their CVs or managerial abilities. Ten Hag hasn't really ben put in a position that would allow for the failures Poch has experienced yet, there is no guarantee that these things won't happen to him too.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I have a gut feeling that if it will be Poch it won't be much different than under Ole. Perhaps a top 3 finish but nothing more. He won't have us challenging for much with the competition he would face I feel like..
I think it would be the perfect opportunity to bring him in. Pep and Klopp have both more or less confirmed they'll be leaving in the next couple of seasons which isnt really surprising considering how exhausting it must be for both players and manager to keep that intensity up for so long. They're both finely tuned teams which means they have to get their next managers exactly right or else they won't be near the same standard they're accustomed to.

Get Poch/ETH in at the end of the season, give them a year and hopefully all the domino's fall in to place at the right time.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Pros
- Promotes youth

Cons

You forgot about his coaching backroom - I doubt he'd come otherwise. I can see Carrick or McKenna staying like Mason at Spurs but that's it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Pochettino and Ten Hag are probably the pick of the candidates for me.
This is common cause at this point. Most of us prefer Ten Hag but think it's a bit unrealistic because Glazers. We're pretty Ok with Poch. And we hate the idea of Bodger.

romufc

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Ten Hag over Poch, but it's not like there is an insane gulf in their CVs or managerial abilities. Ten Hag hasn't really ben put in a position that would allow for the failures Poch has experienced yet, there is no guarantee that these things won't happen to him too.
The only thing that separates them for me is that Poch has had PL experience.

I know Ajax under Ten Hag like playing good football with a high line but it takes alot of coaching to get that to work in the PL. We have seen alot of managers come in and get caught with it, Poch did as well.

Like you say neither are guarantees, both to me are similar level managers.

JPB

Pros
- Promotes youth

Cons

Are you joking? He couldn't even win the French league with PSG. That's unforgivable. He's an absolute bum.

JPRouve

Scout
I think it's more a case of playing young players, like Dele thrived under him.
That's not really worth a mention though, pretty much all candidates have done it, it's a normal thing in Football.

sosolid4u09

Are you joking? He couldn't even win the French league with PSG. That's unforgivable. He's an absolute bum.
Ridiculous post. Tuchel was on his way to not winning it either, 6 months later he wins the CL with Chelsea

Matt851

I think it would be the perfect opportunity to bring him in. Pep and Klopp have both more or less confirmed they'll be leaving in the next couple of seasons which isnt really surprising considering how exhausting it must be for both players and manager to keep that intensity up for so long. They're both finely tuned teams which means they have to get their next managers exactly right or else they won't be near the same standard they're accustomed to.

Get Poch/ETH in at the end of the season, give them a year and hopefully all the domino's fall in to place at the right time.
You might be right that we will struggle to win the title but you can't compare ole to poch in terms of coaching ability, that would be entirely ridiculous. The fact is if poch doesn't join us and leaves psg in the summer he will end up at another top club, ole will struggle to get a job in the championship

jamesjimmybyrondean

Poch is fine for me. I prefer Ten Hag but there's nothing really separating the two CV wise and Poch has the added pl experience and managing big stars. None of them are guaranteed but I'd bet on Ten Hag winning us the league if his style clicked here over Poch

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
At United the manager has a total control outside of ridiculous transfers because apparently we have more people working on it now, which is good. But the overall picture relies on the manager and what he wants. PSG is a propaganda team. United is clueless (which is why it relies on the manager heavily) but at least not that kind of team. More freedom for Poch if he works here for sure.
Unless he asks for Eric Dier.

Devil may care

It could be made up - but really, how many managers of clubs with actual real CL aspirations are giving up their gig to come to this?
Well there are only about 6 clubs with general CL aspirations so that narrows it down, and PSG are a shit show mercenary operation domibated by the arrogance of Leonardo, a toxic situation, we are just incompetent but we'll cater to managers a lot more and our fans and board will give you longer than most.

Do we know that? I've worked in collectively dysfunctional management teams containing individually competent people.
They sucked under Mourinho as well, and Ole said they were actually doing the coaching, he was to blame for mates FC but the shite we saw on the pitch was being coached by Carrick and McKenna.

They should absolutely go and I’m totally bemused about this claim they need to stay, is this even a thing? I though they are just interim
I think everyone is so fed up right now they are seeing everything in the most negative possible light, no manager worth their salt would want them, they'll have their own coaching staff.

peridigm

Also, the fact he is ready to leave behind a squad with the riches of PSG is a great sign for us. No way should we be considering begging the likes of Zidane or waiting for an ETH. I really think we'd be in safe hands with either Erik or Poch though.
I agree. I'd rather see Ten Hag personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.