Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair enough. That is your opinion.
He was considered even this last window.
I saw a report we were 5 million short of the asking price.

I mentioned Neves as being the last name I saw mentioned.

There were several others who were from the continent.
But I can understand that they would need time to get used to the Premiership.
It wouldn't surprised me if we were looking to sign Neves under Solskjaer because he had his own personal scout and Phelan also scouting for him. And Camavinga was a another name that was mentioned. But neither player is a DM for a team that wants to press high imo. Both Camavinga and Neves are best utilised next to a DM.

Last edited:

hobbers

The Glazers are the final say in who comes in.

A DM was needed. Ronaldo was available and they had no more funds for DM because all was spent on Ronaldo.

Sancho and a CB signing was expected last season. No talk of a striker.
The Glazers dont choose who to sign. Not signing a DM has nothing to do with them.

Not signing a DM had nothing to do with funds it was because no DMs were properly scouted because it wasnt viewed as a priority, and because the squad limit was reached. And it was reached because Ole was incompetent and hoarded players he didnt have any plan for.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Lads.
Think we are running away from the main point of this thread.
I don't want to derail it.

I appreciate @hobbers and @Adnan and others input about our spending priority.
When people mention the money the club has spent, we need to remember that spending is either expense (sunk cost ) or an investment (which spending can be recouped hopefully at a gain).

Lets look at the Ronaldo spending. I had no objection to it. But I mentioned to another long time supporter like me. This is all about shirt sales and his social media following.
His early games were great. I too loved seeing his celebrations.

Lets look at the two Burnley games. the first one he scored of a deflection that came his way. But he missed chances he would never have a few years ago.
The last game he had a couple of chances. The one that stood out for me was the clear header he sent over the bar. He would never have missed a few years ago.

A player his age can train to maintain his strength and his touch. But not his reaction speed.
That fades with time.

With the way Ralf has set us up to play. It is not about playing the ball to him to score.
He needs to press like the others.

I hope he scores again soon. We need goals badly.

My criticism about the Glazers stands.

Does anyone believe they are a football board? Their decision to award Ole that contract was based just on league position in a Covid year.
What did they understand watching the games?
I tell you what . Even if they did, they understood little.
Woodward is a banker. He is no Gill who was in sync with Fergie.
What does Woodward know about the game.
And Ole? He was clearly out of his depth. Even last season. The way we went out of the CL and lost the UEFA cup.
They should have been huge red flags.

We got lucky with Ralf. I see huge improvements in how we play. I love watching us. Except of course the misses and idiotic defending which tbf has been few.

I am of course unhappy with players going over Ralf's head and the leaks.

I spelt out why I hate the Galzers with regards to the debt.
That is weighing so much on the football club and we have a board who firstly have to answer to the bank and secondly have no knowledge of the game.
Recipe for disaster.

As for the next permanent manager.

My apprehension is more against those I believe will fall sooner rather than later.
Than to be for someone else.

If ten Hag has the pedigree going by the votes I see, sure I would be happy to see him here.
If not Ralf looks damn good to me.
The best since Fergie.

I know all of us would want whoever is appointed to succeed
Because we want Manchester United Football Club to succeed even if the last two words have been dropped by the Glazers.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
@Amadaeus

I know you are very knowledgeable about Poch and are a fan of his. I’m interested to know how you think he would do at United, what his strengths would be and if he’s the coach you feel could return success to Old Trafford?
Pochettino like he has done at all the clubs he has been at before will surpass expectations at United. He will be the manager that will closely emulate the success we had under Sir Alex, and I won’t be surprised if sir Alex believe in this statement as well since he keeps in contact with Pochettino. No other top manager that is attainable or will/might be available has a better combination of coaching experience, attractive brand of football, popularity among experts, and accomplishments.

beginning with brand of football, the principles of attacking football that he modernize in the premier league when he got here that consisted of high pressing, maurading fullbacks and building up from the back has remained the same. Many players say how intense Pochettino training session is because of that, he was able to transform team to play beyond their capabilities. Rickie Lambert, once said that Pochettino broke me' when quizzed about Pochettino’s famed run-heavy training sessions.
Herrera on Pochettino:
he wants possession for 90 minutes; he reminds me of Marcelo Bielsa, suffer when the opponent has the ball. That is physically demanding.
We saw how he transformed Spurs and Southampton and seeing that with psg as last season he defeated many of Europe best team and this season he is comfortably walking the league, having the best undefeated record in Europe top league at the moment.

when it comes to coaching experience which also ties in with accomplishments Pochettino is really diverse and well accomplished. Pochettino spent a season-and-a-half at Southampton having previously coached at Espanyol. At Southampton he finished eighth, their highest position since 2002-03 with their highest points tally in the Premier League era. Spurs was quick to spot an upcoming genius and it was an amazing acquisition. With Pochettino spurs achieved their best finishes of the Premier League era under him - third in 2015-15, second a year later and then third once again establishing them as Champions League regulars. Something United with all their millions couldn’t do. Now he is at psg, where he took over from Tuchel and turned their season around. If it wasn’t for such a poor start from Tuchel and Lille being a great team that season, Pochettino will be looking at another league title win at france. Regardless, coaching in Spain, England and French make he diverse and vastly superior to most other candidates available

when it comes to popularity among experts, many pundits regard him highly, many players sings his praise and other managers are of his accomplishments. I will be short on this one, but Neville, carraghar, Henry and many pundit sing his praise and say how he should be at United and is one of the best coaches in football. Bielsa stated that
"The work Pochettino has done is brilliant. In the last year he put Tottenham at a high level in the world. This for any manager is a big achievement.
For me, it’s more important yet because the team that played the final of the Champions League was a team he built very carefully.
"The performance of this team was linked to the collective play built between him and his players. Rather than top players bought for them. They didn’t buy top players.
"This reality makes the work of Pochettino even more important. Something professional like that acquires one credit absolutely deserved.
"Maybe he could not enjoy this achievement at Tottenham. Maybe because I do not know the real situation, but he will take this credit because big clubs in the world will try to take him.
"This manager will lead one of the best teams in the world. The background is he makes Tottenham one of the best teams in the world."

Now we have United players wanting him as their choice, which doesn’t surprise me at all.

regardless, I am typically right and this will be a rare occasion that I will be wrong, if Pochettino doesn’t return success to old trafford. I haven’t been so sure about anything else. And I have proven so many people wrong here

Last edited:

Sviken

Pochettino like he has done at all the clubs he has been at before will surpass expectations at United. He will be the manager that will closely emulate the success we had under Sir Alex, and I won’t be surprised if sir Alex believe in this statement as well since he keeps in contact with Pochettino. No other top manager that is attainable or will/might be available has a better combination of coaching experience, attractive brand of football, popularity among experts, and accomplishments.
Attractive football? The PSG fans certainly don't think that's the case with their team.

GarrinchaNZ

Well, you are still wrong. Poch is done, like Mou. We need something fresh and upcoming
Totally agree. I like Poch, but, if you watch PSG play...not sure if it's the inflated egos of Neymar and Mbappe...or a mix of a manager who probably doesn't have to do a lot when your sides awash with stars, but it's not a good watch. Individual brilliance, does this make a manager good?
Ten Hag has set a few records with Ajax, possession and goals. I'm a little worried after our last brush with a dutchman as manager, but I feel he is best choice going forward. New ideas needed here, desperately. I also worry though....the Glazers....(my eyes glaze over thinking about them!) Who knows who they choose?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Attractive football? The PSG fans certainly don't think that's the case with their team.
The psg fan are clueless. That is why Tuchel left and won the champions league and Tuchel stated that it is easier to coach Lukaku than manage psg. Similiarly, Henry and carraghar has stated on tv that Pochettino should leave psg because of the huge ego and how he can’t play his style of football when the attacker doesn’t adhere to his principles. I rather listen to what experts says than psg fans. Even then, we have seen numerous glimpses of such attractiveness especially the way he deploys Verrati who looks world class and a different level now. poch is playing with a handicap when his attackers aren’t good at pressing and winning the ball back for his team.

Greck

The psg fan are clueless. That is why Tuchel left and won the champions league and Tuchel stated that it is easier to coach Lukaku than manage psg. Similiarly, Henry and carraghar has stated on tv that Pochettino should leave psg because of the huge ego and how he can’t play his style of football when the attacker doesn’t adhere to his principles. I rather listen to what experts says than psg fans. Even then, we have seen numerous glimpses of such attractiveness especially the way he deploys Verrati who looks world class and a different level now. poch is playing with a handicap when his attackers aren’t good at pressing and winning the ball back for his team.
I can't tell if those are just Messi fans who don't know how things work at PSG. They will always work on individual play. Was any United fan seriously impressed with Tuchel any of the times we met PSG under Ole? People use your minds and put 2 and 2 together or stop being willfully blind to the limitations of implementing philosophy football over there. Managers are somehow expected to get consistent results using the most inconsistent style of football.

Telsim

I don’t think anyone here really thinks Pochettino is a bad manager. He is a good manager. He can get the maximum out of mid-table teams and make them punch well above their weight. But that’s it. His ceiling is fairly well-established by this point. He has managed teams with little resources and with a lot of resources and we have seen what he is capable of. Which falls well short of what we need. Not to mention his mellow character, which is the furthest thing our squad, or indeed the club, need right now.

He lacks the vision and the killer instinct to rise to the top. He bottled it twice with Spurs and last year with PSG. This year PSG again fail to impress both in the CL and Ligue 1, considering their squad. Their game last night against Rennes gave me flashbacks to Ole’s final weeks. Poch is like Brendan Rodgers in more ways than one, though I’d put him a tier above good ol’ Brendan. With Pochettino in charge we will be stuck in a perpetual battle for the 4th place, but well outside Top 3. Maybe even win FA and Carabao but forget about any European titles.

We must be proactive just this once. We must at least try to get Erik ten Hag here as a priority. Maybe he will succeed, maybe he won’t. But I doubt he would do a worse job than Poch. However, if he lives up to the hype, he can do significantly better than him. Unless he blows us off, in which case he was never the man. And we should wait for Nagelsmann, Flick, Enrique, Conte.

We need a manager who has the potential to bring us back to the top and unfortunately Pochettino isn’t that man. More to the point, the decision who to appoint will be a statement by the club about its intentions. Are we really trying to win or not? And let’s be honest here, I’m not seeing teams lining up to have Poch as their manager. I’d be curious to see where he would end up if we don’t give him a hand.

People never learn, do they? Fresh from blowing 440m on Ole's hyped up rebuild we are stuck with roughly the same issues we had under Mourinho: technically flawed players with poor attitudes and on huge contracts and they want us to repeat the same mistake with another good but middling manager with limited potential, be it stylistically or tactically, to challenge the top three managers in the league who also constitute the world's top five managers along Zidane and Ancelloti! Its guaranteed that the board is dead set on bottling another managerial appointment because they know that any modern, ambitious manager won't tolerate half of the toxic players we have infesting the club with their rotten attitude so its guaranteed that three years from now we will be having the same issues that we have right now because the management is too scared to embark on the difficult rebuild that lies ahead. The only reason they want Pochettino is that he is not married to any particular system so he won't rock the boat and he is likely to compromise on keeping the dross we have.
This is also spot on. Poch just doesn't have what it takes to be a big winner. And we are supposed to be a big winner club.

Ahmer Baig

Knowing Man Utd board I won't be surprised if we get Rogers after courting ETH and Poch.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
United will go for Pochs because he is the safe option. He's EPL proven and he's managed top players before something Ten Hag hasn't. United had always gone for the safe approach. Moyes was EPL proven, LVG was the grandfather of tactics, Mou was the most successful EPL manager after SAF, Ole was United through and through and Rangnick is the grandfather of gegenpressing. They will hope that someone like Pochs would appreciate EPL proven talent such as Maguire and AWB rather then treat them to what they really are ie mid table club player level.

soapythecat

ABP now and forever. Would be a proper sideways appointment from Ole.
I hope RR stays on in the role. I’d like ETH but the job Ralf is doing is making me think he could be a long term solution. He certainly talks a good strategy, he’s holding the Glazers to account and is clear in his direction in the transfer market - he pretty much put us in the market for a forward already (no pressure Glazers). I like him and I think he’s going to be the best since SAF.
The Poch rumours worry me. PSG fans want rid, Spurs fans wouldn’t have him back yet some on her think he’s the man to lead us back to glory. RR is here And starting to make a difference - why risk hiring Poch?
ABP

Laurencio

Honestly, there are legitimate criticisms of Pochettino you can all reach for - such as his lack of experience at top clubs, that he is a project manager that needs time (Conte vs Pochettino basically) and that compared to other candidates he hasn't won enough - but then you should have to apply those criticisms to Ten Hag as well. Because the truth is Ten Hag has the exact same deficiencies as Pochettino and more - because he has managed for a shorter period of time. Since the prevailing attitude seems to be Ten Hag or bust - how about focusing on Ten Hag's strengths and not Pochettino's so called weaknesses. This frenzy of having to undermine Pochettino to justify a preference for Ten Hag is nonsensical.

Ten Hag has an amazing defensive record in the Champions League and Ajax has been incredible for a lot of matches under his leadership. He has a history of rebuilding teams and getting them to compete to the maximum of their ability. His teams are often considerably better than the individual skills of each player, and plays an attractive posession style of football that emphasises posession, high pressing and style over individual creativity.

And for Pochettino. He did an amazing job with Spurs and Southampton. He plays an attractive style of attacking football that relies on high pressing, quick attacks through the middle, overloading the wings and flexibility in style. The teams he builds are close knit and he has a history of getting the best out of his players (Lambert, Llana, Dele, Kane, etc).

They would both clearly be interesting appointments - who you prefer comes mostly down to a preference of style and how you would like to see the team play.

Essentially, if you want a team with a strict adherence to style, that is defensively sound and grinds opponents down (a mix between German and Barcelona/Ajax football essentially), then Ten Hag is the clear and obvious choice.

If you want the team to play as close to Barcelona as possible, valuing posession above most other metrics and relying to a strict form of tiki taka, then Enrique is your man.

If you want a team that utilises quick tempo, moving the ball quicker up the field while still retaining the majority of posession, allows for more individual creativity and is more willing to adapt their style to their opponent, then Pochettino is the clear and obvious choice.

If you want to win at all costs, be defensively sound and don't care about strict adherence to style or that youngsters are given an opportunity at the risk of winning matches then your obvious choice is Conte. He is clearly a manager that is obsessively preoccupied with winning at all costs.

So which style do you want?

MrSingh2002

I still want Rangnick. We've never had a manager that I agree with more. His opinions are spot on and he's very objective.

Give him a striker, centre back and a CDM next season and we'd be flying.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I still want Rangnick. We've never had a manager that I agree with more. His opinions are spot on and he's very objective.

Give him a striker, centre back and a CDM next season and we'd be flying.
Would make an excellent DOF

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Not true about Luis Enrique and the strict tiki-taka style. Actually Barcelona started to stray away from its DNA and signature style exactly during Enrique's time there. He prefers more direct approach and loves quick counterattacks while maintaining possession.

Laurencio

Not true about Luis Enrique and the strict tiki-taka style. Actually Barcelona started to stray away from its DNA and signature style exactly during Enrique's time there. He prefers more direct approach and loves quick counterattacks while maintaining possession.
I stand corrected. I do believe that we should judge them on basis of style rather than perceived weaknesses, so corrections like these are important to get a better picture of each manager's style and what they would bring to the table. Thank you.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Who the permanent manager is needs to be announced literally the day after his current teams season ends. Not negotiating into July.

Alongside a successful transfer window of ins and outs, the most important thing is a full pre season with the new manager to get fitness levels and team cohesion up to standard.

AneRu

United will go for Pochs because he is the safe option. He's EPL proven and he's managed top players before something Ten Hag hasn't. United had always gone for the safe approach. Moyes was EPL proven, LVG was the grandfather of tactics, Mou was the most successful EPL manager after SAF, Ole was United through and through and Rangnick is the grandfather of gegenpressing. They will hope that someone like Pochs would appreciate EPL proven talent such as Maguire and AWB rather then treat them to what they really are ie mid table club player level.
This is the jist of it all, the prefer Pochettino because he won't rock the boat, he will shy away from demanding the necessary clear out that is the prerequisite of any rebuild we might think of. ETH or LE will come in and phase out the English core that Ole built on whilst also demanding two or three players to fill the already existing DM and striker roles so that's five signings and a potential transfer outlay of about £200m.

I don't think it's feasible either but that's the reality that's facing us. The best option at the moment is to stick with Ralf and let him finish the messy culling that's needed and give him the space to rebuild. Someone like Rangnick can give you four or five good players for circa £120m if he is allowed to do what he does. Then bring in a top manager after the 20/23 season.

Bringing in another new manager hopeful right now will only see the entitled brats polluting our dressing room throw him to the wolves and force us to restart again in two to three years.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

This quote from Hassenhutl hits home and asks big questions about the next coach. If the plan is to press, do we believe that the squad is tooled up for it? Cos if it's not we need to see United go after a lot of new players. Suddenly the Simeone leaks make sense...

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This quote from Hassenhutl hits home and asks big questions about the next coach. If the plan is to press, do we believe that the squad is tooled up for it? Cos if it's not we need to see United go after a lot of new players. Suddenly the Simeone leaks make sense...
What RH is saying is that United aren't used to applying pressure for long periods of the game. Which imo is a fitness issue and needs a good preseason to fix.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This quote is actually far more telling and highlights our issues in defensive transition.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What RH is saying is that United aren't used to applying pressure for long periods of the game. Which imo is a fitness issue and needs a good preseason to fix.
I hope you are right and it's not the case that the squad itself just isn't suited to a pressing game. I feel like our side has a lot of Joe Allen's and Nathaniel Clyne's. The types of players Klopp was allowed to bomb out and replace to take Liverpool forward. Will United let the next permanent manager do that? Or will we keep renewing contracts for 'value'?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope you are right and it's not the case that the squad itself just isn't suited to a pressing game. I feel like our side has a lot of Joe Allen's and Nathaniel Clyne's. The types of players Klopp was allowed to bomb out and replace to take Liverpool forward. Will United let the next permanent manager do that? Or will we keep renewing contracts for 'value'?
We have to allow the new head coach and recruitment staff to create a identity which resonates with the modern game. And if that means getting rid of players who don't fit into the blueprint, then so be it imo.

Tyrion

Rogers should not even be on that list. Swap with Enrique
Rodgers should not be on any list for Manchester United manager.
I don’t know what’s more surprising here, the fact Rodgers is even on the list or that he isn’t at the bottom of said list.
On merit, he should be there. Unfortunately a lot of fans would freak out because he was at Liverpool so he probably shouldn't be picked. That said, I personally don't care.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
After robbing us with Maguire no less, have you no shame??
If we called him Brendan Heinz Rodigerhutlheusenman, and lowered the compensation package? I could pick him up fro his new home in the Manchester footballer belt, and drop him off for you.

Judas

Open to offers
Who the permanent manager is needs to be announced literally the day after his current teams season ends. Not negotiating into July.

Alongside a successful transfer window of ins and outs, the most important thing is a full pre season with the new manager to get fitness levels and team cohesion up to standard.
Yep this is massively important. If its not painfully obvious through the media before the end of the season who we're hiring, like it was with say Jose, I'll be worried. I want it all wrapped up and him in place very early.,

dinostar77

The Sun reckon Richard Arnold will support RR recommendation of appointing Eric Ten Hag over Poch. Woodward wanted Poch.

Would be delighted if we could get ETH.

Mickson

1. ETH
2. Enrique
3. Potter
4. Pochettino (would still be our best manager appointment since Fergie IMO, so I'm positive all in all).

Status
Not open for further replies.