Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Can Ten Hag adapt and use the press? Are their styles (him and Rangnick's) that incompatible?

I still think Potter is worth a look though. Might be a bit early for next season but if Rangnick wants another year, it might work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can Ten Hag adapt and use the press? Are their styles (him and Rangnick's) that incompatible?

I still think Potter is worth a look though. Might be a bit early for next season but if Rangnick wants another year, it might work.
Ajax press and no their styles aren't incompatible. Rangnick approach is more fundamental then anything else, you can use crucial parts of his philosophy in many other tactical approaches.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Southampton are the PL side most like Rangnick's Lepizig, which makes sense given Hassenhutl's Lepizig connection. But you'll note that all of Chelsea, Liverpool and City are in the top 6, because a lot of what Rangnick brings is a fundamental aspect of how most top level sides currently play, even those like City who seemingly have quite a different approach in terms of what they do possession. And Ten Hag's style of play would be closer to Rangnick's than Guardiola's would.

KingCavani

Out of possession they’ll do a lot of the same things. High press and emphasis on winning the ball back through numerical advantages high up the pitch.

In possession they’re very different. Ajax play a much more possession based game whereas Ralf wants direct and incisive play. The build up under RR is much quicker.

Sviken

In possession they’re very different. Ajax play a much more possession based game whereas Ralf wants direct and incisive play. The build up under RR is much quicker.
They're not "very different" from what I've seen. Ajax under Hag utilizes the same principles as Rangnick does, but as you said - he is more patient in possession. But the principles of overload, vertical passing, quick high tempo once the ball is recovered are all there. It's not like Ajax dwell on the ball and backpass around like LVG's United.

Idxomer

Ideally, Ten Hag would come next season and evolve our possession game with a couple of additions in midfield and maybe right-back.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Thanks for the replies. Sounds to me like we can adapt to Ten Hag, similarly to how all top clubs adapt to a new manager who may not be the same but is similarly versed in the ways of modern football.

Let's see.

EDIT:

Just saw this in the transfer tweets thread. Might be a bit of a long stretch but given how expensive Henderson's salary is, I can see us paying most of it to give us time to move David on (I think he'll have 1 or 0 years left of his contract in 18 months) and also serve as a nice sweetener for letting Ten Hag go in the summer.

Either way, I am liking this increased cooperation with Ajax.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The more I see this, I think it's going to be Hassenhuttl. Ralf is getting the platform ready and Hassenhuttl just need to come and get started. No worry of new manager needing a rebuild or time to know the players ( who would have thought that ?)

@AjaxCunian do Ajax play a high metal game like Ralf mentioned, under ETH ? Have you ever played 4222 formation?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The more I see this, I think it's going to be Hassenhuttl. Ralf is getting the platform ready and Hassenhuttl just need to come and get started. No worry of new manager needing a rebuild or time to know the players ( who would have thought that ?)

@AjaxCunian do Ajax play a high metal game like Ralf mentioned, under ETH ? Have you ever played 4222 formation?
I don't think it will be Hassenhuttl as some poster pointed out that Ragnick wanted to improve on Hassenhuttl at Leipzig by getting Nagelsmann. If he thought Hassenhuttl wasnt the best option for them, it would be unlikely to pick him for United. Their relationship might be distorted.

However Nagelsmann isnt available, so maybe he could be the best of the rest.

I am tactically not as informed as someone like @Adnan, Ajax have never really played with 2 strikers under Ten Hag, at best Klaassen sometimes plays very high up as did Donny van de Beek. Mainly 4231, but these differences arent that big I think.

Ajax plays with a super high line, even against the likes of Dortmund. In possesion it is probably more controlled, and more patient but not in a LvG way. I am sure Ragnick would be a fan of his football, which is based on a similar philosophy but slightly different idea or plan at certain aspects.

With Ten Hag, I feel like Ajax doesnt have one way of playing. They are very versatile and well prepared for different games of football, they can sit deep and counter, press like mad men, commit a lot of players forward etc.

They didnt dominate Real and Juve for 90 mins but were well prepared for every phase of the game. Few teams dominate for 90 mins.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think it will be Hassenhuttl as some poster pointed out that Ragnick wanted to improve on Hassenhuttl at Leipzig by getting Nagelsmann. If he thought Hassenhuttl wasnt the best option for them, it would be unlikely to pick him for United. Their relationship might be distorted.

I am tactically not as informed as someone like @Adnan, Ajax have never really played with 2 strikers under Ten Hag, at best Klaassen sometimes plays very high up as did Donny van de Beek. Mainly 4231, but these differences arent that big I think.

Ajax plays with a super high line, even against the likes of Dortmund. In possesion it is probably more controlled, and more patient but not in a LvG way. I am sure Ragnick would be a fan of his football, which is based on a similar philosophy but slightly different idea or plan at certain aspects.

With Ten Hag, I feel like Ajax doesnt have one way of playing. They are very versatile and well prepared for different games of football, they can sit deep and counter, press like mad men, commit a lot of players forward etc.

They didnt dominate Real and Juve for 90 mins but were well prepared for every phase of the game. Few teams dominate for 90 mins.
Agreed, good post.

Foxbatt

Plus the quality of the players at Ajax is not high compared to the big clubs. But I would more happy with Ten Hag than anyone else at United if RR decides to go upstairs.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Plus the quality of the players at Ajax is not high compared to the big clubs. But I would more happy with Ten Hag than anyone else at United if RR decides to go upstairs.
Jesus he's only 63 you heartless bastard.

Jibbs

I have a similar feeling for Marco Rose. I think we might go for him, I think Ten Hag will replace Pep at City.

stw2022

If Ten Hag impresses in the CL this year I think it'll be him. If he doesn't and Rangnick impresses this season I think like he hinted at the press conference when he arrived that he'll recommend that he stay on another season.

Sviken

If Ten Hag impresses in the CL this year I think it'll be him. If he doesn't and Rangnick impresses this season I think like he hinted at the press conference when he arrived that he'll recommend that he stay on another season.
He has already done more than impress during his time at Ajax. We don't have time to waste with this. It's not like the man is going to be short on offers when he leaves Ajax. Rangnick is a great option to lay the foundations as an interim, but as a permanent manager he is never going to take us to where we need to be. We have to be realistic here.

peridigm

We win the CL and he can stay as long as he likes. If we sputter over the line and finish 4th, I hope we thank him for his time as manager and hire his replacement. With his input of course.

Jibbs

You thinking that because of the bald connection?
I think we will hire a manager Ralf is very familiar with and have worked with before, Rose suits the profile and has a very impressive CV as well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is Marco Rose really that good? Or is he riding the hype of the next German manager that he might not be?

Is his Dortmund better than what Klopp or Tuchel did?

I'm just not sure about that.

Greck

If Rangnick wins a trophy this season, he may well continue as manager for the next two years.
I also feel some worry he might grow attached to the job and block a new man coming in. Even our fans might also grow overly attached.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I also feel some worry he might grow attached to the job and block a new man coming in. Even our fans might also grow overly attached.
Not saying from his point of view.
Would we want to make another change if things are working out?
He looks very focused and sure of what he wants to accomplish.
I like him already from what I have heard and seen.

When he said only a third of the season has been played, I felt he has not written anything off.
One match at a time.

croadyman

Little bit concerned that some people think Ten Hag is so drastically different to Rangnick stylistically

InfiniteBoredom

Rangnick ditched Hassenhutl at Leipzig when he realized the latter weren’t good enough.

0 chance of us appointing him.

Daengophile

If ten Hag is up for the job and is aligned with Rangnick's vision then that would be a great fit for the club

One thing I feel, and I'm not sure why, is that the position of Manchester United manager has dropped from being messianic to being an interchangeable piece of the jigsaw

Scholsey2004

So, which coaches do you think play in a similar way that are available in the Bundesliga ?? That is if we don't just keep him on permanently, he seems open to it.
Jesse Marsch juat got the boot at RB Leipzig. It does seem though that there is no shortage of decent coaches who are either Rangnick influenced or compatible which would be a big bonus when it comes to managerial changes and player recruitment. I think its fair to say that late Ferguson we had reached an evolutionary dead end where although the football was still winning it wasnt very compatible with much of what was going on elsewhere which seemed to make recruitment difficult. Hopefully now we can avoid that happening again.

SomeRandomPerson

Loved Van der Sar as a player, not really sure if there's a role for him at United given he's the Ajax CEO and not the Director of Football. At any rate, if I'm correct, Ajax have appointed Peter Bosz and Erik ten Hag as the managers in VDS' time as CEO. If ten Hag leaves in the summer and they get the appointment right again, added to the recruitment of Tadic, Haller etc. I'd say that speaks very highly of the footballing structure there; which feels bittersweet as a United fan seeing as they went back and got their former players in management positions and even made a big song and dance about a cultural reset and going back to their 'Cruyffian roots' when they did so. It seems cultural reboots work as long as it's not Manchester United doing it.

Quite the diplomatic answer on ten Hag. Do think he will leave though, and have a feeling United have enquired about him.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Is Marco Rose really that good? Or is he riding the hype of the next German manager that he might not be?

Is his Dortmund better than what Klopp or Tuchel did?

I'm just not sure about that.
I don't think so. Rose is part of a bunch of good but not elite coaches associated with Rangnick. The best of that goup are still Klopp and Tuchel.

lenny_1248

Not every Ralf's protege is Tuchel or Nagelsmann. People are going too far with "let's appoint someone who knows Rangnick". All this talk of Hutter, Rose, Marsh (who is sacked already) is bizarre to me.

There is not better choice than Ten Hag.

GBBQ

If ten Hag is up for the job and is aligned with Rangnick's vision then that would be a great fit for the club

One thing I feel, and I'm not sure why, is that the position of Manchester United manager has dropped from being messianic to being an interchangeable piece of the jigsaw
Its a double edged sword. Undoubtedly Sir Matt and SAF delivered the best success of the club's past but moving on from men who held such a grip on the club has been a huge problem. I think our mindset of trying to find the next manager to lead us for 26 years is flawed from the start. Of course if you find a SAF or a Busby you keep them and let them mold the club but I think in general we should be looking for someone to deliver 5 years of top performance and for the club to at least maintain its standing in European football.

So in those terms, yes I think it should be a (critical) piece of a jigsaw rather than a cornerstone.

MrSingh2002

Ralf Rangnick, simple as that.

Why go for a protégé when you can have the master?

Daonico

So Potter or Gallardo? I reckon Gallardo would be the most hipster choice given he's only managed in Argentina, and he has that aura of mystique that only a manager that hasn't been seen in the Champions League or the premier league yet can have.
And he also won the prestigious(?) Uruguayan league!
Actually, he won it as a player, and the following season, he became the manager of the team (Nacional) and won it as a manager.

Gallardo sounds super interesting to me, but it's super risky too... I am not sure we are in a position to take such risks.
He should go to some mid table european team first I think... there are also rumours of the Uruguayan NT wanting him... but I can't see it makes any sense for him

Sviken

Jesse Marsch juat got the boot at RB Leipzig. It does seem though that there is no shortage of decent coaches who are either Rangnick influenced or compatible which would be a big bonus when it comes to managerial changes and player recruitment. I think its fair to say that late Ferguson we had reached an evolutionary dead end where although the football was still winning it wasnt very compatible with much of what was going on elsewhere which seemed to make recruitment difficult. Hopefully now we can avoid that happening again.
I mean, compare the squad Fergie had in 2013 than the one he had in 2007-2009. It's a miracle he even won anything with that squad. You really can't expect swashbuckling football from the likes of Cleverley and Buttner.

And he also won the prestigious(?) Uruguayan league!
Actually, he won it as a player, and the following season, he became the manager of the team (Nacional) and won it as a manager.

Gallardo sounds super interesting to me, but it's super risky too... I am not sure we are in a position to take such risks.
He should go to some mid table european team first I think... there are also rumours of the Uruguayan NT wanting him... but I can't see it makes any sense for him
Gallardo is extremely interesting, but unlikely to manage in England at the start of his European career. Reckon something similar to his environment in Argentina would be preferable as a start, like Portugal or Spain especially. Barcelona would have been perfect for him, but they went for Xavi. Definitely one to look out for in the future.

IFC 1905

I mean, compare the squad Fergie had in 2013 than the one he had in 2007-2009. It's a miracle he even won anything with that squad. You really can't expect swashbuckling football from the likes of Cleverley and Buttner.

Gallardo is extremely interesting, but unlikely to manage in England at the start of his European career. Reckon something similar to his environment in Argentina would be preferable as a start, like Portugal or Spain especially. Barcelona would have been perfect for him, but they went for Xavi. Definitely one to look out for in the future.

Well he just confirmed he'll stay at River Plate for another year

Status
Not open for further replies.