Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

Any chance we could pry Marco Rose away from Dortmund at the end of the season

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think the lack of an obvious replacement might keep Ole in a job for a while longer. I can’t see us going for Conte and I have no idea who else there is available. Can’t see us getting Zidane either

Acole9

Outstanding
I think Conte would just be a stop-gap, which is fine. But, I worry his short-term appointment will do long-term damage to the squad. Also, he doesn't really develop young players: what would happen to Sancho, Greenwood, and Rashford? Lastly, his transfer record is very bad: while at Chelsea, he bought Morata, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Drinkwater, Luiz, Zappacosta, Emerson, Giroud, and Barkley. His only two good signings were Kante and Rudiger.
I understand what you're saying but short term appointments seem to be more of a thing nowadays.

As for development, are they going to develop any further with Solskjaer? I doubt it.

In terms of signings I'm not too worried about that. The squad is almost there bar one or two. We just need a manager with a proven track record.

mav_9me

It's all pointless anyway, Ole isn't going anywhere. This team is far too good to not get top 4, even with poor coaching set up.
I wouldn't be so confident. I am no longer. We are clearly playing much worse than last year and the CM is even worse which I didn't see coming.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Sacking Ole won't make McFred any better. Or make VDB into a DM or make Matic's legs work again.

And if you plan to fix that by buying, then why sack Ole anyway since you've fixed the actual problem?

It's not that I rate him, I just don't see the point of changing him for someone who will face the exact same problem.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Lack of obvious successors, a slow moving board, and his status within the club mean he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. My concern now is that the board will allow this get much worse that the fans will begin to actually turn on Ole.

estel_manutd

I understand what you're saying but short term appointments seem to be more of a thing nowadays.

As for development, are they going to develop any further with Solskjaer? I doubt it.

In terms of signings I'm not too worried about that. The squad is almost there bar one or two. We just need a manager with a proven track record.
At least Ole gives them chances; Greenwood has come a long way in the last couple years - and I think Ole should get a lot of credit for his development? Would Conte even play Rashford, Sancho, and Greenwood? Doesn't he prefer to play with three CBs and two wingbacks? But, maybe Conte would come up with a solution to this problem, not sure. I agree that since Conte has a proven track record he might help us win a trophy in the short run, but I worry about the price we will pay in the long run.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Sacking Ole won't make McFred any better. Or make VDB into a DM or make Matic's legs work again.

And if you plan to fix that by buying, then why sack Ole anyway since you've fixed the actual problem?

It's not that I rate him, I just don't see the point of changing him for someone who will face the exact same problem.
Because a great CDM isn't the silver bullet to winning titles, just like a RW and CB also aren't. The "actual problem" is still at large no matter what midfielder eventually joins us. The coaching setup is not of the required standard to compete for the highest honours.

El Zoido

I wouldn't be so confident. I am no longer. We are clearly playing much worse than last year and the CM is even worse which I didn't see coming.
It'll get better when Rashford's back, we don't have anyone else that offers that kind of explosive pace and he'll give us a better outlet. He'll also change how teams set up against us, we really need him back asap.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Better managers will come up with a plan that masks the problem in personnel, not expose them further with weird selections.

Rajma

Great managers don’t go for aging Ronaldo and spend that money on actual issues in our lineup. Good managers let go Martial and VdB to raise funds if they don’t see them as important part of the squad, it’s his own doing stop making these clueless excuses.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

But they might play a system that suits them better, rather than keep doing the same thing over and over again that clearly doesn’t work.

The problem is the coaching staff in my opinion. We look good of ideas. I’m not confident that if we got a world class DM, we’d be any better

Flytan

=
At least Ole gives them chances; Greenwood has come a long way in the last couple years - and I think Ole should get a lot of credit for his development? Would Conte even play Rashford, Sancho, and Greenwood? Doesn't he prefer to play with three CBs and two wingbacks? But, maybe Conte would come up with a solution to this problem, not sure. I agree that since Conte has a proven track record he might help us win a trophy in the short run, but I worry about the price we will pay in the long run.
He stole Pobga from us and played him at Juventus. So yes. He would play youth. Granted he probably wouldn't buy Sancho and would have spent the money elsewhere. What price in the long run do you mean? Juventus kept churning for years after he laid his foundation. Chelsea won the UCL 18 months after he was sacked. Hardly leaving clubs in bad shape.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Top managers have a way of making things work. Before Tuchel came, Chelsea were trying to get rid of Jorginho and couldn't find a CB partnership that could hold water. They solve problems. Pep doesn't have a striker but no one has reduced expectations of him cause of that. It is not compulsory Fred and McTominay must play together.

Foxbatt

I do not think there is any elite manager available? How is Marco Rose doing at Dortmund? Potter is a good coach but can he handle the pressure of a big job? Rogers is a good coach too and has managed big clubs but can he win the PL and the CL? He certainly is a much better coach than Ole and won the FA Cup with Leicester.

ShinjiNinja26

Top managers help mask their squads deficiencies by playing a certain system and employing certain tactics, ours are currently exposed for all to see.

Hughie77

Agree, a new manager may be needed, but until the CM is sorted by getting rid of Fred, DVB and buying a Rice type player . New guy will have the same problem, and go to the board for what he wants

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Potter, Rodgers and Hasenhuttl would all be huge upgrades on Solskjaer and eminently ‘gettable’. And that’s only looking at the Premier League - there’s many more throughout Europe who would have their stamp on that United squad inside six weeks. It’s so depressing watching us sleepwalk through another season when the obvious has been, well, obvious for a long time now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Potter, Rodgers and Hasenhuttl would all be huge upgrades on Solskjaer and eminently ‘gettable’. And that’s only looking at the Premier League - there’s many more throughout Europe who would have their stamp on that United inside six weeks. It’s so depressing watching us sleepwalk through another season when the obvious has been, well, obvious for a long time now.
I wouldn't have Rodgers cause of the Liverpool connection. He's on a Klopp like level where it'd be worth it.

Hassenhuttl I'm not convinced by.

Potter would an exciting risk.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hypothetically, let's say whatever manager the club really wanted (be it Zidane, Conte, Ten Hag, whoever) said they'd take the job but only in the summer.

What would you do for the rest of this season? Just leave Ole at it? Hire a caretaker manager? If so, who?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

He has had almost 3 years to buy a DM. And he has spent money. Tell the board to buy a DM instead of VdB who he somehow never plays. Or buy a DM instead of Amad and Pellistri, etc. He has had so many chances to upgrade the midfield.

Teja

Pretty sure even if you give Ole Rodri + Gundogan instead of McFred, he'll still have problems. At this point, the issues are deeper than what the CM partnership does.

How do you press? How do you build up from the back? How do you consistently create chances instead of relying on individuals? How do you improve the quality of chances you create etc. etc.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Hypothetically, let's say whatever manager the club really wanted (be it Zidane, Conte, Ten Hag, whoever) said they'd take the job but only in the summer.

What would you do for the rest of this season? Just leave Ole at it? Hire a caretaker manager? If so, who?
Give it to Cristiano

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
See the issue with taking risks like hiring Potter is that if it doesn't work we're stuck with him for 2-3 years. Other clubs can take risks like that, if it doesn't work out they can sack the manager and move on. With us, we wait until the club hits rock bottom before sacking the manager.

Teja

Unlikely that an out of work manager would want to wait till the end of the season IMO. If we wanted Ten Hag / Potter we might have to wait but Zidane / Conte should be available.

Josh 76

Great managers don’t go for aging Ronaldo and spend that money on actual issues in our lineup. Good managers let go Martial and VdB to raise funds if they don’t see them as important part of the squad, it’s his own doing stop making these clueless excuses.
To be fair, Ole did not make the Ronaldo signing.

Rajma

To be fair, Ole did not make the Ronaldo signing.
I don’t think it could have happened without his blessing, someone like Conte would have never give in if player would be forced on him. It’s quite clear Ole is just happy to be here and is trying to keep everyone content too.

Chairman Steve

As much as I’m not trying to knock OGS, I don’t think we should be worrying about who to replace him with and whether we think it’s risky to do so. I think even someone like Eddie Howe would make us look better (not for one second suggesting we should appoint him).

I honestly don’t think OGS is going to get another Premier League job, let alone a job in the European elite. At best I see OGS being the Norway national manager and that’s it really. I don’t think he has any serious managerial ambitions outside of the two clubs he has an affinity towards which is Molde and Man Utd. Most of the successful players don’t have the motivation to do it as a manager after doing it as a player I find.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't know.

But how United handle the possible scenario - where Ole is sacked - will be extremely interesting to witness.

Most United fans I know are far from convinced Ole will ever truly deliver.

But then again they're almost sure we'll royally feck up the next appointment if he's sacked.

Nice situation to be in.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Also - Potter?

Are you serious?

People actually think it would be a good idea to sack Ole here and now - and replace him with Potter? Because his team plays "nice" football?

Feckin' hell.

Irwin99

Only a matter of time

Pretty sure we've had this scenario about three times already (if we count when our form fell off a cliff when he first became manager and we squandered top 4)

Time will tell but he'll probably nick a few good results in those games and suddenly everything will be well... until the next bad spell.

Foxbatt

I don't know.

But how United handle the possible scenario - where Ole is sacked - will be extremely interesting to witness.

Most United fans I know are far from convinced Ole will ever truly deliver.

But then again they're almost sure we'll royally feck up the next appointment if he's sacked.

Nice situation to be in.
That is spot on.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the lack of an obvious replacement might keep Ole in a job for a while longer. I can’t see us going for Conte and I have no idea who else there is available. Can’t see us getting Zidane either
I think Zidane would do wonders with the players you have and he's your best bet to win something in the near future, so it would be the best appointment to make the best out of Cristiano Ronaldo who I expect to keep a very good level this season and next one.

That being said the football that United plays does need to be modernized so I think that the next manager does need to be a progresive one, but at this point it has been so long since SAF retired and those changes were needed back in his last seasons already; so the fans must be already fed up with the lack of relevant titles. So it's a though call from that perspective but not so much in terms of improving on Ole.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We'll get through that list of games much better than we expect, so it'll carry on.

It always felt like Ole would be the guy to leave the squad in a much better place for someone else to capitalise on.

Last 4 home games, we've lost 2, drawn against a striker less Everton and lost to an average Villa.

It's hard to be optimistic, even with the thrill of the 95th min winner midweek.

soapythecat

It's all pointless anyway, Ole isn't going anywhere. This team is far too good to not get top 4, even with poor coaching set up.
I’d beg to differ. I think the squad is too unbalanced now and the arrival of CR7 could make situations difficult. I think there is very chance we don’t make top 4 this season if he stays as manager

Status
Not open for further replies.