Next Real Madrid manager | Glaston has a shocker

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He could have just not said that?

Why be diplomatic if you have no interest in the job
Because he may well want to manage them at some point in the future - there's nothing to be gained by being unnecessarily blunt.

I mean really, what more do you want from Pochettino?

"... at Spurs ... we've created an atmosphere of togetherness (my emphasis) which is fundamental to this exciting project"

".... we (my emphasis) all believe in this project."

”The link now with Madrid is normal and I take it with all normality. I’m committed to Spurs and still have a long contract with them I just signed. I’m happy where I am ...”

“... I'm looking forward to going back to London"

Sky: surely no one says no to Madrid. It's impossible isn't it?

"... for you maybe. Not for me"

He's just signed a new, 5 year contract. When you consider that - and look at his above comments - you really have to stretch big-time to actually think he's about to jump ship for RM. It's just not going to happen.

0161_UNITED

Lol ... he had the chance to wait just a few days (until the CL final outcome was known) before deciding whether or not to sign the new contract. He didn't wait.

But now we're supposed to believe he'll wait a couple of weeks and then force a move if needed?

The wishful-thinking on display here is a sight to behold ... lol.
This has already been broken down for you, mate. But let’s make it simple.

If my current employer gave me a raise, I’d take it. Regardless of whether or not I thought there might be an even bigger offer from, say, Google on the horizon. I’d take the raise. Bird in hand better than 2 in the bush.

If Google comes in with the bigger offer, I’d leave if I felt the opportunity, pay, and job was better.

I’d feel no “moral obligation” to stay beyond an honest transition period and leaving my previous employer in the best position I possibly could.

Now, I reckon Poch might be smart enough to want to figure out which way the wind blows at Real Madrid before committing. Are they gonna be committed to him for a rebuild, or is he gonna be the fall guy for a rebuild?

Tough call. But all this Levy tough guy stuff and “moral obligation” are out the window. If a manager wants to move, he moves.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
You don't fancy you to continue to success where you're doesn't mean you would turn down Madrid. Look back you see quite a list of managers jump as first chance Madrid, Barcelona come calling.

There is thousand ways to get his point across which badly affects the morale of the club if he wants to. What would Levy do? Can he appoint his assistant as head coach while telling Poch to have a vacation during the season? Appoint interim manager to give current manager a break?
If he has to stay in what way is sabotaging Tottenham from within going to help his future career prospects?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
This has already been broken down for you, mate. But let’s make it simple.

If my current employer gave me a raise, I’d take it. Regardless of whether or not I thought there might be an even bigger offer from, say, Google on the horizon. I’d take the raise. Bird in hand better than 2 in the bush.

If Google comes in with the bigger offer, I’d leave if I felt the opportunity, pay, and job was better.

I’d feel no “moral obligation” to stay beyond an honest transition period and leaving my previous employer in the best position I possibly could.

Now, I reckon Poch might be smart enough to want to figure out which way the wind blows at Real Madrid before committing. Are they gonna be committed to him for a rebuild, or is gonna be the fall guy for a rebuild?

Tough call. But all this Levy tough guy stuff and “moral obligation” are out the window. If a manager wants to move, he moves.
So an "honest transition period" for you is what? If it's just a month or two until just before the new season is about to start, this would leave Spurs in an impossible position during the transfer window and do the club no favours.

Or if you mean perhaps next summer, then what's all the hoo-hah about? Because Pochettino will still take Spurs into the new stadium era ... and beyond that who yet knows?

By the way, no-one is arguing against the notion that if a manager wants to move then he will. What I'm saying is that he doesn't want to move this summer.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
You'd need some serious balls to take the job after Zidane won three CL's on the bounce. I reckon Poch will get take the job in a year or two after the guy who replaces Zidane fails (as he's doomed to do).

ti vu

If he has to stay in what way is sabotaging Tottenham from within going to help his future career prospects?
For example: he can orchestra a narrative he needs more support and the higher up is not supporting enough. Brief his players so they have Madrid clause if they are up for a renewal.

0161_UNITED

So an "honest transition period" for you is what? If it's just a month or two until just before the new season is about to start, this would leave Spurs in an impossible position during the transfer window and do the club no

Or if you mean perhaps next summer, then what's all the hoo-hah about? Because Pochettino will still take Spurs into the new stadium era ... and beyond that who yet knows?

By the way, no-one is arguing against the notion that if a manager wants to move then he will. What I'm saying is that he doesn't want to move this summer.
Maybe, possibly .. but sometimes life opens up an opportunity that forces your hand. If Perez says “it’s now or never” ...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You'd need some serious balls to take the job after Zidane won three CL's on the bounce. I reckon Poch will get take the job in a year or two after the guy who replaces Zidane fails (as he's doomed to do).
Following Zidane after what he has achieved at real is a huge ask for any top level manager, let alone one of relative inexperience like Poch. Then again the only experience Zidane had prior to taking the job was the management of their B team.

In any case, I think this job requires a different approach. Real need a manager who favours an attacking approach to the game, has managed in at least 2 countries across Europe, has been relatively successful in the transfer market, is due some luck in finals, is unafraid to talk bollox in the media and, most importantly, he has at least 2 hideously stained buckteeth to his name.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of anyone that fits that description.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
For example: he can orchestra a narrative he needs more support and the higher up is not supporting enough. Brief his players so they have Madrid clause if they are up for a renewal.
He could. Again though, it all risks getting rather damagingly poisonous when he could just continue impressing in his role for the next time Real Madrid come calling; history shows that's likely to be in one or two years and history also shows they don't tend to abandon targets at the first window of asking.

Remember whilst Levy is in a position where it'll widely be considered fair enough that he asks Pochettino to fulfil at least a year or two of his contract given its recent of signing and the new stadium, if he tried to play the same stonewaller game in a few years' time when Real Madrid make their next move he risks an unattractive reputation as an employer who stifles his emloyees' dreams. Pochettino knows this too.

Guy Incognito

If they WANT WANT WANT Poch, i think they'll get him.
I agree but is he mad enough to move now? Or will he bide his time?

Either way I'm certain him and Kane won't be at Spurs together come 2019 if there's no trophies. One, the other or both will leave. For Real.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Staying at Tottenham wouldnt guarantee anything. With 6 teams vying for top 4 anything could happen next season. A bad luck here and there and a mistimed injury could be the difference between 4th and 6th or 2nd.

If he goes to madrid at least the chance of winning the league is better than managing Tottenham and going toe to toe with city.

ti vu

He could. Again though, it all risks getting rather damagingly poisonous when he could just continue impressing in his role for the next time Real Madrid come calling; history shows that's likely to be in one or two years and history also shows they don't tend to abandon targets at the first window of asking.

Remember whilst Levy is in a position where it'll widely be considered fair enough that he asks Pochettino to fulfil at least a year or two of his contract given its recent of signing and the new stadium, if he tried to play the same stonewaller game in a few years' time when Real Madrid make their next move he risks an unattractive reputation as an employer who stifles his emloyees' dreams. Pochettino knows this too.
Already explained. Unsuccessful spell at Madrid doesn't damage one reputation. Everyone know it's top job and even top coaches can be unsuccessful there. They have no problem finding good job afterward.

What if the next time they only consider proven winner for the job as they're no longer in maintenance mode but trying go for it with new faces. If you're talking about players transfer? There is some truth. Their head coaches. Remind who said no to them in first time and then got the job?

What new stadium and recent signings has to do with choosing. I meant new stadium is not free. There is debt which won't disappear overnight, let alone give you a war chest to compete. It's fair for Levy to ask but it's also fair for Poch to give an answer Levy doesn't want to hear. It's Madrid. Everyone know how much a promotion going from Tottenham to Madrid. Definitely more than doing a Wenger easing the debt doing maintenance job at Tottenham. So again, the point is Levy only has the letters of contract to enforcing things, but it's Poch who has all the cards in this.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Already explained. Unsuccessful spell at Madrid doesn't damage one reputation. Everyone know it's top job and even top coaches can be unsuccessful there. They have no problem finding good job afterward.

What if the next time they only consider proven winner for the job as they're no longer in maintenance mode but trying go for it with new faces. If you're talking about players transfer? There is some truth. Their head coaches. Remind who said no to them in first time and then got the job?

What new stadium and recent signings has to do with choosing. I meant new stadium is not free. There is debt which won't disappear overnight, let alone give you a war chest to compete. It's fair for Levy to ask but it's also fair for Poch to give an answer Levy doesn't want to hear. It's Madrid. Everyone know how much a promotion going from Tottenham to Madrid. Definitely more than doing a Wenger easing the debt doing maintenance job at Tottenham. So again, the point is Levy only has the letters of contract to enforcing things, but it's Poch who has all the cards in this.
The explanation to why would Pochettino risk damaging his reputation by upsetting the apple cart at Tottenham is managers who fail in Madrid can still have successful careers??

I'm not party to the inner details of Real Madrid's managerial hunts over the past decades but the likes of Mourihno and Wenger have said they were offered the job by Real Madrid on more than one occasion; I expect like with anything it's not what you say but how you say it. Real Madrid aren't run by idiots and if a manger they crave says "thanks a lot but I've just signed a new contract so I can't leave right now" they won't make him a persona non grata but respect his loyalty and keep him on watch for next time round. Why else do they talk about having Mourinho, Zidane back at some point despite the fact they both walked out on them?

Levy can simply say: "you just signed a new contract, honour it for at least a season". Pochettino is the one who can badly hurt his career by how he behaves after that.

Kapardin

Staying at Tottenham wouldnt guarantee anything. With 6 teams vying for top 4 anything could happen next season. A bad luck here and there and a mistimed injury could be the difference between 4th and 6th or 2nd.

If he goes to madrid at least the chance of winning the league is better than managing Tottenham and going toe to toe with city.
Clear as day he will go if given the chance. Problem for him is the contract he has signed, and Levy won't let him go for sure. He knows it, and so he says he is happy here as well.

JohnnyKills

I don't know why everyone assumes he will be drawn to Madrid. He's from a hispanic country and lived in Spain, sure. But he lived and worked in Barcelona, not Madrid. What he saw in Spain could just as easily have turned him off Madrid as given him a lifelong passion to manage them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is not the best timing to manage Real Madrid at the moment. It is better to hire someone like Arsene Wenger as a scapegoat to deal with the dressing room issue and turn over an aging team.

ti vu

The explanation to why would Pochettino risk damaging his reputation by upsetting the apple cart at Tottenham is managers who fail in Madrid can still have successful careers??

I'm not party to the inner details of Real Madrid's managerial hunts over the past decades but the likes of Mourihno and Wenger have said they were offered the job by Real Madrid on more than one occasion; I expect like with anything it's not what you say but how you say it. Real Madrid aren't run by idiots and if a manger they crave says "thanks a lot but I've just signed a new contract so I can't leave right now" they won't make him a persona non grata but respect his loyalty and keep him on watch for next time round. Why else do they talk about having Mourinho, Zidane back at some point despite the fact they both walked out on them?

Levy can simply say: "you just signed a new contract, honour it for at least a season". Pochettino is the one who can badly hurt his career by how he behaves after that.
You look at the managers who left Madrid. See how many of them still land good jobs afterward. With Madrid job you're deemed as qualified for big job. It gives you chance to work with top players while you're tested at top level with expectation to win thing. Failure. Every Madrid coaches not named Zidane has failed one way or the other.

Wenger's aim was to stay at Arsenal forever. He was bitter calling out his departure from Arsenal was the board decision not his own will. Here we have Poch saying he will listen to Madrid if they call, so it's not like he's committed to Tottenham for life. Another thing is all the Madrid & Wenger talk was back in the day when Wenger was successful. Once his commitment to Arsenal and his lack of success is clear, there was no coming. Wenger is free to grasp right now. So if the offer stands, wouldn't we would hear something about Madrid Wenger by now if the offer is recent? Mourinho's offer is after his spell with Madrid and we all know he burned bridge and prefers staying in England. It's not he turned it down the first time and got second chance. So add Zidane into it, it again points toward the first thing in my first post to you, it's about how Poch can continuously to do well. And as I explain, right now there is a leeway to get the job due to Zidane's unprecedented success. Once thing settles down and we're talking about getting back to the top phase, the profile of manager would be different. They would rather Zidane back and indulge him with all privilege than giving second chance for a coach without trophy on his CV

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
A person who is well connected with Spurs has said today (on a spurs forum) that Real Madrid approached Spurs yesterday about speaking to Poch.

Both Levy and Poch told Madrid no thanks. Poch has already told Levy he is going nowhere.

Bookmark this post so you can come back to this when Poch is still Spurs manager in September.

Poch's quotes today were diplomatic as he doesn't want to burn his bridges with Madrid in the future. One-day he will probably manage Real Madrid but that will be in a few years. Not this summer.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
A person who is well connected with Spurs has said today (on a spurs forum) that Real Madrid approached Spurs yesterday about speaking to Poch.

Both Levy and Poch told Madrid no thanks. Poch has already told Levy he is going nowhere.

Bookmark this post so you can come back to this when Poch is still Spurs manager in September.

Poch's quotes today were diplomatic as he doesn't want to burn his bridges with Madrid in the future. One-day he will probably manage Real Madrid but that will be in a few years. Not this summer.
Caf's ITK#1254 enters the arena.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Mourinho is one of the most successful coaches ever, Zidane is a Madrid legend. And both left in good terms with Florentino (unlike Del Bosque for instance). But in any case this is not about naming anyone persona non grata only, it's about being offered the chance now but not in the future, for whatever reason. If Pochettino is seen as the number one option, try to think how many top coaches are being rejected at the same time. Look at everything Allegri has won for instance. It's not crazy to think that a coach that has not won anything yet, like Pochettino, could see himself in the same position as his colleagues are now in years to come.

Cloud7

In any case, I think this job requires a different approach. Real need a manager who favours an attacking approach to the game, has managed in at least 2 countries across Europe, has been relatively successful in the transfer market, is due some luck in finals, is unafraid to talk bollox in the media and, most importantly, he has at least 2 hideously stained buckteeth to his name.
I actually didn’t figure out who you were talking about until the last bit about the teeth. Quality post mate :lol:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Maybe, possibly .. but sometimes life opens up an opportunity that forces your hand. If Perez says “it’s now or never” ...
Then it'll be never ... or at least until Perez is gone and/or backtracks.

Infra-red

It would appear that Pochettino has spent the few weeks since the season ended sitting on a sunbed & eating ice cream.

The Bloody-Nine

Must be true.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
They should offer Liverpool a shed load of compensation and take Klopp. Those greedy Fenway barstuds are easily bought. Easier than dealing with Levi, that's for sure.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Allegri is clearly the better option amongst any of the managers available. No idea why nobody seems to rate him, not only is he a great manager but he'd be perfect for this job.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Allegri is clearly the better option amongst any of the managers available. No idea why nobody seems to rate him, not only is he a great manager but he'd be perfect for this job.
Football is not for Einsteins (cit.) :lol:

Alexandre Pato

Poch might want the job but I feel like he can't leave now because of the recently signed contract, who else is available for Real Madrid now that might be viable until they get Pochettino ?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It is not the best timing to manage Real Madrid at the moment. It is better to hire someone like Arsene Wenger as a scapegoat to deal with the dressing room issue and turn over an aging team.
With madrid it's never the best time. Now or 3 years from now the situation will be pretty much the same.

I bet most managers knew this before they took the job. Go there for 1 year, have a 50/50 chance to win trophies, raise your profile, and manager somewhere else after. A move to madrid is as good as it gets to get raise your profile. You wont get a bad rep for being sacked, unless you do a moyes