Next United manager 2020/21 edition

RooneyLegend

No, because we need to address the complete lack of long term football leadership and strategic direction. Ole is not a top tier manager, but people who think changing gaffer will be the silver bullet are fecking delusional.
We could pretty much poach the whole Ajax set up and get back on the right path.

Eddy_JukeZ

Like Ancelotti and Zidane,they get the job done. We historically a club that gets the job done. His football has a great balance between attack and defending. He's shown he's a winner and shown he can match any coach going around today on an individual game basis.
That is a different argument. I don't dispute he gets the job done.

RooneyLegend

That is a different argument. I don't dispute he gets the job done.
How? His football is about balance. Attacking and defending both done at a really high level. Not some ideal where a team can't do one or the other. That's very important in these times. His teams press well, defend deep well and also are very flexible tactically.

Eddy_JukeZ

How? His football is about balance. Attacking and defending both done at a really high level. Not some ideal where a team can't do one or the other. That's very important in these times. His teams press well, defend deep well and also are very flexible tactically.
I wasn't disagreeing with you that he gets the job done.

I just don't think his teams have played as appealing as you've described.

RooneyLegend

I wasn't disagreeing with you that he gets the job done.

I just don't think his teams have played as appealing as you've described.
His football isn't too disimilar to Ancelotti's or Zidane's and I doubt youd have a problem with them coming in. Look, What people don't understand is June always played to control the game but weren't always able to due to the quality of the players in the big CL game. What then happens is they end up being pushed back and defend well to get out of those games. He's a very different coach to say Simeone or Mourinho who set out not to control the game.

Eddy_JukeZ

His football isn't too disimilar to Ancelotti's or Zidane's and I doubt youd have a problem with them coming in. Look, What people don't understand is June always played to control the game but weren't always able to due to the quality of the players in the big CL game. What then happens is they end up being pushed back and defend well to get out of those games. He's a very different coach to say Simeone or Mourinho who set out not to control the game.
I don't disagree with that.

Though I'm not sure if Ancelotti is still a top tier manager(even with Everton's good start).

The Neville wears Prada

Why some people think we would be knee-jerking by sacking Ole now is beyond me. We have almost a two year sample size of results and yes there have been purple patches, and there will continue to be periods of good form, but we are not going anywhere. Our style of play has actually worsened over the past year and we have such a good squad that could challenge for the league this year (feels like a random winner will be crowned, a bit like the Leicester season).

Our best chance is to part company with Ole earlier rather than later and the only option for me is Julian Nagelsmann (progressive, young, exciting, dynamic, wants to actually win stuff). He would relate to our young team so well and yes, Pochettino would be highly competent, but I feel he would be the wrong option if we want to get back to the very top (where we belong).

Of course we won't do any of the above, and end up between 6th and 14th this year, before then sacking Ole. So little ambition :(

GiddyUp

I do believe that the condition we are in, the players we have and the unwillingness of anyone on an executive level to understand this sport, Pochettino is the right guy for us. Especially with tu he Academy attracting some talent. After these three league games it's clear Ole doesn't have what we need. We should really be rock bottom of the league right now or minimum 17th.

Louis Van Gonads

I think Poch or Tuchel are realistic options who would both improve the team massively. Still problems above but we have to appoint the best possible coaching team.

GiddyUp

This.

Just because he would rip Woodward & the Glazers at least 7 new anuses each, for breakfast.
He really should be included in some capacity. SAF has been a pussy cat since retirement and the only person around that has that vision and willing to spit fire would be Keane. This squad for multiple seasons now has failed to grasp even the basics. Amateur shite every fecking game. It has to stop.
We'd have to double the sports psychology department though, but it's worth the risk for some home truths directed at this squad.
Woodward out and Ole (unfortunately)out.

NoPace

The squad would seem to suit Nagelsmann if his plan A is still 4-2-2-2:

------Rashford-Martial--- (Greenwood, Cavani)
Pogba--------------Bruno-- (James, Lingard)
---------Fred-VDB------------ (McTominay,Matic)
Telles------------------AWB (Shaw, Williams)
--------Maguire-CB------- (Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe)
-------------De Gea--------- (Romero)

and then you'd hope Lingard out and Sancho or another creative wide type in and obviously we need a CB.

The Slavia Prague manager is young and tactically seems clever, they did lose 4-1 against Midtjylland so are in the EL instead of the CL, but they're +17 through 6 games again in the Czech league.

I want someone who will clearly tactically set us up with a proper plan A and tempo on the ball. So, Ten Cate from Ajax would be fine too.

Pochettino would definitely be an upgrade even if he's the same B+/A- choice I wrote that he was the week we strangely picked Van Gaal instead.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Has to be Poch. Has to be.

Still available, especially after Koeman landing at Barcelona. Now or never.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Like Ancelotti and Zidane,they get the job done. We historically a club that gets the job done. His football has a great balance between attack and defending. He's shown he's a winner and shown he can match any coach going around today on an individual game basis.
True. Tactically very astute. His team scoring not enough is just a lazy excuse. Even if you ignore Juve records, his Milan team scored goals. He can do both tbh.

We might finally see the real Pogba.

jem

I get so sick of this whole 'there's no point getting a different manager given the structural problems.' Yes they are there and I don't see them going away anytime soon, so the only chance, however slim it may be, is to get the best coach possible. It's really hard to say that that coach is Ole.

jem

True. Tactically very astute. His team scoring not enough is just a lazy excuse. Even if you ignore Juve records, his Milan team scored goals. He can do both tbh.

We might finally see the real Pogba.
The real Pogba has had more than enough chances to show his face. Part of me thinks that any new coach shouldn't have to worry about accommodating Pogba.

Alek M

Da manic one
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how Poch can fix us. What has he won? How is he going to lead this team? We need a stronger personality than Poch for sure.

criticalanalysis

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how Poch can fix us. What has he won? How is he going to lead this team? We need a stronger personality than Poch for sure.
Apart from an elite few, there's no managers in the game available that can rule with a 'strong' personality alone.

You know what today's player respond to most? Good coaching. That's what will get us achieving a certain level. If you know how to coach a team by telling players what and how to do, imagine if that player doesn't do that in training or on the pitch?

He'd look a fool and will get ostracised either by game time or by the dressing room due blatant refusal to adhere. Does it mean the coach made the right decision? No but it shows accountability and gets everyone on a level playing field.

Right now Ole has done well to steer the ship but the tactics/coaching or lack of it is too naive. His hands off approach is not enough. I don't want to compare Ole to Mourinho but both would have had 'success' here if they were able to actually enforce their ethnos in a dominant manner. In a way both failed because of 'the Utd way' and the pressure to live up to that.

If you're going to play counter attacking football then set the team for it. Likewise, putting a lot of attacking players on the pitch does not equate to playing attacking football. it's rudimentary stuff.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We’re in a uniquely calamitous position, whereby the biggest problems at the club are not to do with the manager.... but at the same time, our wrongheaded romantic fetishisation of the position means we stick with the wrong manager for far too long, under the auspices that it’s “correct” to do so, whilst also simultaneously refusing to create a more modernised structure that would negate the power of the role being so all encompassingly, and thus so resistant to change, if it’s needed.

In short we’re completely fecked.

Our only hope within this scenario is to accidentally alight on a uniquely brilliant manager in the Klopp mould, and then worry about the inevitable shit show when he leaves further down the line, and hope there’s enough success in the interim to justify it.

This person is very unlikely to be Ole, who should never have been hired permanently after his interim stint. However the fact he has so catastrophically and visibly been let down by the incompetent board, destroying all momentum he had at the end of last season, makes it an even bigger and more complicated mess, as we now have both things misfunctioning badly to such an extent that they’re kind of negating each other, making it even harder to accurately and unanimously focus on the best course of action going forward.

Again... just utterly fecked.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If it comes down to replacing Ole then I hope we go with a coach with a modern defined play style and I wouldn't look past Marco Rose or Nagelsmann.
Could they handle our structure, our PR status and the online toxicity of our fans?

Surely both need serious football people supporting them above?

Strelok

Poch? Nagelsmann? Tuchel? Bielsa?

You guys are too hopeful. We'll get Scholes. Then Giggs? Keano? Neville? Rio? Rooney probably got his coaching certification by then. Ed would feel lucky af that we have so many legends.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A short list containing Julian Nagelsmann, Erik Ten Haag, Zinedine Zidane, Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino would be a start. United's problems aren't just down to the manager though.

Whoever replaces Solskjaer will be appointed by people who haven't got one managerial appointment right in 7 years. You just can't trust the Glazers and Ed Woodward to get it right. Maybe you look at having Edwin Van Der Sar as a Chief Executive of football or something and have him make football decisions.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Could they handle our structure, our PR status and the online toxicity of our fans?

Surely both need serious football people supporting them above?
Both had the luxury of Sporting directors (Eberl and Rangnick) who had laid out the foundations for them to hit the ground running. So it'll be interesting to see if they were approached, would they ask for a structure that they're currently comfortably working under which greatly helps them.

I just hope we don't appoint Allegri who many Juve fans consider a cowardly coach.

captain666

A short list containing Julian Nagelsmann, Erik Ten Haag, Zinedine Zidane, Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino would be a start. United's problems aren't just down to the manager though.

Whoever replaces Solskjaer will be appointed by people who haven't got one managerial appointment right in 7 years. You just can't trust the Glazers and Ed Woodward to get it right. Maybe you look at having Edwin Van Der Sar as a Chief Executive of football or something and have him make football decisions.
Great shortlist but would any of those want to come and work under our current Ownership/Board?
We need to split the Club into 2,commercial and football activities but that will never happen.

Enfant terrible

I dont think Ole is the problem but if I had to choose it would have to be Nagelsmann.

He could find some cheap defensive solutions, play attractive attacking football, and could achieve great things with our young prospects.

However, I dont think he would accept the job offer. Considering the state of our club, it would be a big risk for his growing reputation.

It will probably be Poch and we will be having this same conversation in a few years time.

croadyman

I do believe that the condition we are in, the players we have and the unwillingness of anyone on an executive level to understand this sport, Pochettino is the right guy for us. Especially with tu he Academy attracting some talent. After these three league games it's clear Ole doesn't have what we need. We should really be rock bottom of the league right now or minimum 17th.
Yeah we massively robbed Brighton of three points in my opinion

croadyman

It shouldn't be him but unfortunately after our poor window and start to the campaign,it feels a little inevitable that Ole's going to be the one forced to take the fall.

I'm at the point where I don't really care who we bring in at manager or which players we bring in anymore given that the same incompetents above them will still be around.

Doesn't matter if we sign Sancho, bring in Poch/Pep whoever, I won't feel good about the direction of the club until we have a full restructuring of our football operations and bring in actual football men instead of suits who only give a feck about money
Absolutely spot on there