Next United Manager: Pep Guardiola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
But why is it ok for Barca to hire Pep from the get go and not United to hire Giggs. I could argue Pep might never be where he is if he had to prove himself with Sunderland....
Thing is, not to underestimate Pep's work, Giggsy wouldn't have the best player in the world and probably history of football at his disposal whereas Guardiola had one.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I like how at times he now has an American twang to his Hispanic English.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Thing is, not to underestimate Pep's work, Giggsy wouldn't have the best player in the world and probably history of football at his disposal whereas Guardiola had one.
As well as peak Xavi & Iniesta in a 2-horse league.

The way the PL is now, Leicester can beat anybody and Vardy is a world beater, I wouldn't want to risk appointing Giggs at all until he proves his worth.

cyberman

If we sign Pep we get the players that want to play for him as well.
High chance he brings Thiago with him, then there's the players from La Liga that wouldn't fancy a move to Germany but would to England.

Silverman

Its as if his Bayern team didn't just break a record for consecutive wins. Lets see how they do this season before we jump all over Pep. He now has a team in his image, lets see what they can do.
Exactly........Pep is a quality manager and this Bayern team minus Ribery and Robben should have beat Arsenal last night. I want him to replace LVG. He is a winner plus who knows what players he could attract to United.

Kakeru

Exactly........Pep is a quality manager and this Bayern team minus Ribery and Robben should have beat Arsenal last night. I want him to replace LVG. He is a winner plus who knows what players he could attract to United.
End of the discussion.

Blackwidow

Your problem is that you compare Giggs to Guardiola - you cannot. Giggs knows all about 30 years of the "United way" - but has never had any experience out of this little world. He did not have any experience with another coach, another country, another playing style...

A Xabi Alonso - who thinks about going into coaching after his career - is a lot more equipped to that even without taking his licenses because of the experiences he has made with all the different coaches, tactics and playing styles.

And I do not think that it is easy to coach the good players because the expectations they have of a coach. As a player you have to believe into a coach and into his abilities (just think about your own professional life).

TakeMeHome

TakeMeHome
Bayern have gone backwards under Pep? If dominating the league and the domestic cups means going backwards then I'd take that any day at United

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
When the time comes, if LvG and the United hierarchy believe that Giggs can do the job, he'll get it. If not, not. There's no way that we, outside the club, can have any depth of knowledge of Giggs's abilities or lack thereof. If he's considered suitable for the job, there's no reason to assume he'd take us back to "the footballing stone age" - indeed there's every reason to assume that he wouldn't. (Just as a matter of interest, was "the footballing stone age" the period when we won all those trophies with SAF as our manager?) I'd personally be more worried about who he appointed as his assistant and whether the rest of the coaching staff stayed on. A general exodus would not be a good sign.

The club had this mentality with moyes and look how that ended.

Others have said it already but he should go elsewhere for a few seasons and prove beyond doubt that he has what it takes to be the manager of this huge club before he's even considered to take over.

The next manager should be guardiola. Then after guardiola has seen out his contract, we can then consider giggs as manager depending on how successful he has been.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
The year before they won the Bundesliga (while finishing with a point total that was 1 short of the all time record), scored 94 goals, had a goal difference of +71, won the DFB Pokal final vs Borussia Dortmund, and lost to the eventual winners in the semi-final of the Champions League. His teams don't get hammered by equal oppositions. Arsenal winning a couple of freak games does not suggest a pattern. In Pep's first season, they beat Arsenal 3-1 on aggregate. Wenger's team can have good results against the best teams around, not just Bayern Munich.
There's a lot about Pep's Bayern to be impressed about. As I said earlier, he manages to have his player master a very difficult style of play that requires a lot of training. This specific style has proven to be very effective in humiliating teams who are lesser anyway.

But this style has untill now been very ineffective in the really important things, like beating clubs as good as Barcelona or Real Madrid. They didn't even come close to beating them, they were no match to the best clubs in the world, they got humiliated themselves. That's just a matter of facts, so far Pep's Bayern has failed in their biggest ambition and failed harshly and clearly. This of course could be an unfortunate incident, two years in a row. In my opinion it is not, and I predict they will fail again this year, because to me it seems inherent to Pep's style that it becomes more ineffective against better sides. Even teams with lesser players like Arsenal, Dortmund and Wolfsburg can have a go at them.

If you want to be the best you have to beat the best, for that it's not important if you beat lesser sides 7-0 or grind out a lousy 1-0 in the last minute. His style of play just seems the wrong choice for winning the CL or be at least a very strong contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.