Neymar’s next club? (Featuring United & EPL clubs)

Pintu

Neymar is rumoured to be on his way out of France. L’Equipe says United are negotiating with Paris.

Edit for context. The Goal.com tweet seems to be a bit misleading.

Lequipe says that several PL clubs have been in talks, not that United are specifically or particularly in talks with Neymar.

Last edited:

Guapa

Not sure how i feel about this.Head says no, but Neymar at United ? Can this be true .....

Chairman Steve

Before we got linked with him, I’d have said Chelsea or Newcastle. In our case, it should be a loan only.

A 31 year old who is injured a good portion of every season and his demanded wages seems stupid as a permanent buy. Thankfully Woodward is no longer running things so the likelihood of that happening is reduced.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Who can afford him? About 5 clubs in the world pretty much.

We're so goal shy I'd take him despite the potential attitude and injury issues. Poch knows him as well.

AndySmith1990

I just can't get excited about signing a player like him given our history of failed signings in the past decade. Feel's like there's every possibility he'll be another unmotivated player who's here earning his last big pay day

Chief123

Oh please no. We’re trying to move on from these silly signings. He’s really not what he used to be. Another passenger. ETH wants to adopt high pressing and intensity. Neymar is worse than Martial at it.

Pronewbie

Peep
I mean, he'd be a fun SS/RW/LW to watch play for us but not for the kind of money he commands. Sporting-wise I have my doubts. Doesn't ETH like someone a bit more physical as a CF? Also pressing.

Oscar Bonavena

We struggle so much to score goals that I'm not dismissive of this idea. A bit like when Fergie signed Cantona when United were struggling for goals. Cantona's arrival was the catalyst for the rest of the team.

You're not going to get workrate from him but you will get a lot of quality. He's not going to butcher the amount of chances and good attacking positions our current attacking line up have done this season.

Lots of big IFs though!

- If the price is right!
- If we still go in for another proven goalscorer (ie Kane);
- If he's willing to be a squad player and not necessarily demand to be a regular starter!
- If he's a team player and not a disruptive influence in the squad!

If all of the above, then possibly. United's history is built on maverick geniuses.

dinostar77

I dont think the current board are in any sort of negoitations for him. However thats not to say the qatar chap isnt talking to psg and wants neymar as his marque signing.

Regardless id love to see him in the PL.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lequipe says that several PL clubs have been in talks, not that United are specifically or particularly in talks with Neymar.

Irwin99

I thought we were meant to be moving on from the era of "let's buy a superstar and hope he magically fixes everything" (Di Maria, Pogba, Ronaldo, Sanchez) and instead were looking to build with a more thoughtful approach to recruitment. I thought we were meant to be introducing a salary cap too?

If it were at a reasonable price it might be worth considering, but still :nervous:

mshnsh

We struggle so much to score goals that I'm not dismissive of this idea. A bit like when Fergie signed Cantona when United were struggling for goals. Cantona's arrival was the catalyst for the rest of the team.

You're not going to get workrate from him but you will get a lot of quality. He's not going to butcher the amount of chances and good attacking positions our current attacking line up have done this season.

Lots of big IFs though!

- If the price is right!
- If we still go in for another proven goalscorer (ie Kane);
- If he's willing to be a squad player and not necessarily demand to be a regular starter!
- If he's a team player and not a disruptive influence in the squad!

If all of the above, then possibly. United's history is built on maverick geniuses.
Neymar is easily better than any attacking player we currently have. Why wouldn't he be a starter?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Who can afford him? About 5 clubs in the world pretty much.

We're so goal shy I'd take him despite the potential attitude and injury issues. Poch knows him as well.
Don't you think that will stifle mudryuk growth? Even though neymar and Pochettino have a good relationship, a lw shouldn't be Pochettino priority unless he plans to get rid of sterling. And sterling has actually looked good for chelsea the past few games. But if that happens, mudryuk can learn of neymar and then be his understudy.

--Mount/madueke---- felix ---neymar/mudryuk
---------------Vlahovic[oshimen]/nkunku-----------

That will be a potent front four for you guys. You might actually win the league with it next season.

Biggins

Sounds like a dream United signing… behavioural issues - check, injury prone - check, passed his prime - check. Let’s just have 2/3 seasons without any prima donnas please.

stew

Supports
PSG
It depends on who gets the final word in both clubs.
If it's the managers, I don't think they would change the balance of their team for him.
If it's the owners then who knows. They would be more focused on his potential and wouldn't think about the balance of the team, he could also boost revenue.
But if Jassim buys Man United I think he would lie low for some time to avoid certain talks, and wouldn't approach anything having to do with PSG. Same goes for PSG especially with FFP sanctions.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Realistically, who could afford him? Isn't he on like £500k a week after tax or something?

TsuWave

Neymar has a weirdly, and largely unjustified, bad rep on this forum. People see “superstar” and add a negative connotation to it.

I’ll just assume that the people turning their nose at this, don’t know how good at football Neymar is.

You don’t need to just sign unknown gems from the Tibetan league for it to mean that the club has turned a new leaf/is moving in the right direction. This guy would immediately be the best player at United, probably the league, the moment he landed on these shores. Only question mark would be his fitness, but the club will be in a much better position to assert that than random people posting here.

Oscar Bonavena

Neymar is easily better than any attacking player we currently have. Why wouldn't he be a starter?
Lots of reasons. He'd be 31 going on 32, mightn't be in a physical condition to start every game.

If we get another top quality forward or two, he may need to rotate with them.

Or there might be games where ETH wants more workrate upfront than what Neymar would provide.

As it stands right now, he would start in our line up, but the point I'm making is that we can't have another Ronaldo situation with a player causing trouble if he's not playing. He'd need to be onboard with the possibility that he may not be an automatic starter every game!

el3mel

He would be a mercenary joining for money only, will spend most of the season injured or playing half arsed while earning ton of money weekly, basically an absolute disaster in the making.

Ghostrider318

If it's a loan with PSG paying most of his wages then yes.
What is he on right now ? Google says 1m / week. Surely thats exaggerated ?! if thats true then unless PSG pay like 70% of his wages I wouldnt even want us to think about it

Woziak

Neymar at 31/32 is someone who would demand to play, only advantage I see is he would probably play as a 10 and he’s a huge upgrade on Bruno in that position. So yep I’d take him on a 1 year loan with a view to buy, no risk then.

For those of you thinking he doesn’t improve our starting line up, you need to have another good look at Brazil in the WC without him. He’s a leader, would be great in a Rashford, Osimhen and Sancho/Antony front 4 with Casemeiro and Bruno now playing as an 8. He might be someone you play right wing in away games and add another more balanced midfielder and move Bruno back to 10.

el3mel

Maybe Neymar is higher quality than Antony on the pitch but Antony will actually try and put some effort into it. Neymar won't give a feck about us.

Ted Lasso

Might be nice to have him just to remind a lot of our players they aren't actually that good and need to work harder, play smarter, consistent all that because they don't have the natural skill and talent of this guy.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think he'll stay at PSG 1 more season and then he'll leave.

Not sure if it's feasible for him to move now.

Libero_of_Yore

Maybe Neymar is higher quality than Antony on the pitch but Antony will actually try and put some effort into it. Neymar won't give a feck about us.
Maybe Neymar is higher quality than Antony? Understatement of the century?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not entirely sure how a 31 y.o. Neymar would be the solution. In fact I can see him bringing more problems for the club who hires him: huge wage, probably a huge contract too and all that for a player who's no longer on his physical peak.

Red00012

Feck him.
don’t believe the rumours either way as we have Rashford and Garnacho. I’d prefer these over Neymar any day

Red00012

Might be nice to have him just to remind a lot of our players they aren't actually that good and need to work harder, play smarter, consistent all that because they don't have the natural skill and talent of this guy.
Work harder
Play smarter and be consistent

Neymar isn’t going to show any of these things I’m sorry to say .