NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Few fun facts seen on Twitter:

1. Brady is older than the head coaches of the other three NFC divisional round teams.
2. 49’ers had the lead for literally 0 seconds in their win yesterday.
:lol:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That could be mistaken for a ringing endorsement. ;)
I understand that with the image that the Eagles fans have but this is a really weird one. It really does seem like he is doing well in the interviews and a lot of these decisions are made based on back door connections but just in terms of team performance his defence finished 25th on DVOA despite facing a spell of games against third choice QB’s

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
2010 looking more like a Flacco lightning in the bottle fluke run.
Nah, it’s just tough. Brees, one Super Bowl. Farve, one Super Bowl. Manning, essentially one Super Bowl because he was carried to another by a hardcore defense. Marino, no Super Bowls.

Of course, the guy that has created unrealistic expectations for everyone else is Brady.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
What a ridiculous comment.
I mean, I don’t think it’s that obscene is it?

He played 10 games because of injuries (edit: in the reg season). He threw 9 touchdowns, but 17 picks. Threw 2.3k yards completing at under 60%. It’s absolutely no slight on his career that he was a shadow of himself in that final year. Everyone knows that.

Edit: and in the super bowl he threw at 57% on only 23 attempts for only 141 yards. No TDs, and a pick.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
What a ridiculous comment.
Please tell me how that comment is even remotely ridiculous? He shared starts with another QB, his stats were absolutely terrible, his neck was barely holding up. He was finished but managed to hold on for that last year whilst a hellacious defense did their work.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

He played 10 games because of injuries (edit: in the reg season). He threw 9 touchdowns, but 17 picks. Threw 2.3k yards completing at under 60%. It’s absolutely no slight on his career that he was a shadow of himself in that final year. Everyone knows that.

Edit: and in the super bowl he threw at 57% on only 23 attempts for only 141 yards. No TDs, and a pick.
Thank you. Dunno what the guy’s talking about, does he remember that year?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wait, the Packers shat the bed last night? Didn't even realise they were playing :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

He was still an important part of the team and his return from injury essentially won the playoff game when he replaced Osweiler otherwise they wouldn’t even be in the SB.

Suggesting he has “essentially only one SB” is stupid.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Was that 'performance' from Garropolo the worst ever for a winning QB in a playoff game? What a disaster.

And yet...Rodgers managed to not put it together.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yikes, best team in the regular season, taken down by a team who didn't really have a QB, all in your own back garden, in the weather conditions they've been banging on about for the last 2 weeks.

As bad as ST have been, I didn't see them giving up 10 points in one game. Disastrous.
Both number one seeds (with the byes, “so they could get ‘healthy’ whilst all the other teams beat each other up”) lost.

Now, no one really thought that the Titans were actually the best team in the AFC but Green Bay got that kind of praise in the NFC all season. Capped off by another (presumptive) MVP award for Rodgers. It’s a stunning defeat.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Was that 'performance' from Garropolo the worst ever for a winning QB in a playoff game? What a disaster.

And yet...Rodgers managed to not put it together.
Rodgers did have a chance at the end to drive the team into field goal range, take time off the clock and win the game. He was not able to do it.

slyadams

It’s not. Fraudgers proved yesterday that no matter how elite you are in the regular season, it means nothing if you can’t do it in the post season.
Brady has put together a ridiculous resume of game winning drives and comeback wins in the playoffs en route to his seven titles. On top of that he has great regular season stats as well.

Anyone not willing to admit he is the greatest QB ever are simply fooling themselves out of hatred for the guy. Thankfully for them he won’t stick around much longer.
Agree, any evaluation of “the GOAT” in any sport will involve qualitative vs quantitive analysis. Usually this comes down to qualitative analysis because the numbers are so close: Messi vs Ronaldo, Hamilton vs Schumacher, Federer vs Nadal vs Novaxx.

In this case it doesn’t apply though. 7 rings is already well clear, 8 would be even more so.

Any comment comment about his lack of mobility or arm strength misses the key fact that these are a small part of what makes a great QB. His football IQ, decision making, calmness, leadership and longevity are unmatched.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He was still an important part of the team and his return from injury essentially won the playoff game when he replaced Osweiler otherwise they wouldn’t even be in the SB.

I mean, Trent Dilfer was an important part of his team too. And that’s about the level Peyton was playing at that final year. Just try and calm down. It was a flip comment to illustrate the difficulty of winning Super Bowls in the sense that Peyton has played a thousand times better in many seasons than that final Denver year and not won.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

Those are really tragic numbers. Hard to believe that Brock made them even worse

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It’s not. Fraudgers proved yesterday that no matter how elite you are in the regular season, it means nothing if you can’t do it in the post season.
Brady has put together a ridiculous resume of game winning drives and comeback wins in the playoffs en route to his seven titles. On top of that he has great regular season stats as well.

Anyone not willing to admit he is the greatest QB ever are simply fooling themselves out of hatred for the guy. Thankfully for them he won’t stick around much longer.
So why do you think people hate Brady?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Jimmy G saying “feck the Packers” live after he got bailed out by his ST, D and Deebo is pure gold :lol: These Niners man… if only McVay had killed them off in Week 18. I’d like them to win it for Kittle alone though, and they have a lot of likeable players.
Kind of like him saying ‘this is OUR HOUSE’ after being garbage against the Cowboys. You gotta love his ability to crow when he rightly should be ashamed about his ineptitude :lol:

Mike Smalling

So why do you think people hate Brady?
Because he has won a lot, often beating the ‘hater’s team. Because they think he gets favorable treatment from refs. Because they think he has cheated with the video taping and deflategate episodes. Because he has a near perfect image with his career, wealth, super model wife, etc. Any or all of the above.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Because he has won a lot, often beating the ‘hater’s team. Because they think he gets favorable treatment from refs. Because they think he has cheated with the video taping and deflategate episodes. Because he has a near perfect image with his career, wealth, super model wife, etc. Any or all of the above.
I think the cheating is possibly the main thing? After all, Michael Jordan was and is a bigger icon than Tom Brady and people don’t/didn’t hate him in the same way.

Mike Smalling

I think the cheating is possibly the main thing? After all, Michael Jordan was and is a bigger icon than Tom Brady and people don’t/didn’t hate him in the same way.
That and the winning. Being part of that Patriots dynasty with Belichick for two decades.

Jordan was different. He did things people had never seen before, popularized a sport globally and was the face of the Dream Team that brought the Olympic gold back to the US. There is nothing revolutionary or exciting about Brady’s play per se. He’s just super consistent and efficient when it counts.

the_cliff

That and the winning. Being part of that Patriots dynasty with Belichick for two decades.

Jordan was different. He did things people had never seen before, popularized a sport globally and was the face of the Dream Team that brought the Olympic gold back to the US. There is nothing revolutionary or exciting about Brady’s play per se. He’s just super consistent and efficient when it counts.
I agree with the Jordan thing. Jordan was a superstar that transcended his sport. I don't think NFL has had an equivalent imo.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I agree saying it doesn’t count as a super bowl is stupid. But to say he was an important part of the team, I think, is a huge stretch.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

I see your point. I think if Brady had a more exciting play style and still won, he would be more loved. The problem is that the things that Brady is good at are not spectacular. Being really good at reading defenses and recognising coverages pre-snap, always knowing where to go with the ball, exploiting matchups etc, these things can only be admired by people that are really into the sport, not the average person who wants a spectacle. And even if you admire them, it doesn’t necessarily make for amazing viewing.

Also his leadership ability, intangibles etc., these things are not seen but are evident in the results.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I agree with the Jordan thing. Jordan was a superstar that transcended his sport. I don't think NFL has had an equivalent imo.
yeah, it’s tough to think of who that person may be in the NFL or whether it’s even possible to have someone like that in the NFL.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I agree saying it doesn’t count as a super bowl is stupid. But to say he was an important part of the team, I think, is a huge stretch.
Obviously he has 2. We know this. I said ‘essentially one Super Bowl’ because he has one where he was actually Peyton Manning, and another when he was a broken down semi-retired player and not the best player on his team. It was in the context of answering a point about Rodgers’s sole win being a fluke. If Rodgers went to another team with a great defense, fell off a cliff physically and won another SB throwing 9 touchdowns and 17 picks, I’d say the same about him. It wouldn’t be comparable to what he did in 2010.

Mike Smalling

I see your point. I think if Brady had a more exciting play style and still won, he would be more loved. The problem is that the things that Brady is good at are not spectacular. Being really good at reading defenses and recognising coverages pre-snap, always knowing where to go with the ball, exploiting matchups etc, these things can only be admired by people that are really into the sport, not the average person who wants a spectacle. And even if you admire them, it doesn’t necessarily make for amazing viewing.

Also his leadership ability, intangibles etc., these things are not seen but are evident in the results.
Yep, this is exactly what makes a good QB - not running in circles and throwing no look passes.

yeah, it’s tough to think of who that person may be in the NFL or whether it’s even possible to have someone like that in the NFL.
I think the NFL and media was trying to make Mahomeboy that guy for a few seasons with some outrageously premature GOAT talk. But it’s probably too late now - the NFL already has a global audience.
It is also much better with multiple superstars and rivalries. It’s looking really promising with Burrow, Herbert, Allen and Mahomes as the next generation of elite QBs.

Charlie Foley

I’m gonna be awkward here and say 49ers would have gotten a TD early when Jimmy threw a dime over the middle to Kittle who had nothing but icy green in front of him - but Kittle dropped it. Their receivers also had a few other drops early.

And, when it really counted, he delivered accurate passes on that final drive.

We all know he’s bang average. And we all know he will make at least one stupid mistake. But all I’m saying is when it counted the most he did what he needed to. There is something to be said for a QB who can do that. Especially when Rodgers for all his brilliance can’t seem to drag his team through tough tight play off games like this. It’s a consistent trend for many many years now. So that quality, in a way, shouldn’t be underestimated.

Having said that I wouldn’t want him near my team ever :lol:, thankfully we got rid.
Good post. The o line was a hot circle of flaming garbage. The interception was on Jimmy, after he did so well to avoid the sack, and he threw a few heart attack passes that were almost picked off. He also threw three passes for drops in the first half that would have changed the tone of the game a lot had they been caught. I haven’t looked at stats but it felt like it took a long, long time for our running game to get going and Tom Compton should not be a tackle. Those elements of our game, running and pass protection, were much better in Dallas, and need to be again. All that said Jimmy is really REALLY average and we should probably go our separate ways regardless of what happens this post season. He did give the team a shot in the arm when he came in, and having seen last year what it would be like without him, I don’t hate him, I just know how average he is :lol: He’s weird, I am always, always waiting for the bad pick or the freeze in the pocket or the overthrow, but at the same time in those game winning or saving drives I always expect him to come through

our defence was spectacular though. I was worried after that first drive but feck me. We limited dak and Rodgers to a combined 27 points! If you throw in the second half and OT against the rams it’s 34 points in over 3 and a half games away to the 1, 3, and 4 seeds.

And for once special teams were really great. Two amazing blocks

Charlie Foley

The remaining Divisional Round games look like the de facto AFC and NFC Championship games. Rams or Bucs would be major favorites to beat the 49'ers at home, when Jimmy G is their QB. And Bills/Chiefs would also be solid favorites against the Bengals, given that their O-line is made of wet cardboard.
The same was said about Green Bay and we just won in LA!
That said as often as we whip the lambs I’m not sure who to cheer for there. Beating a very good team 3 times in a season seems unlikely

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yep, this is exactly what makes a good QB - not running in circles and throwing no look passes.
Well not necessarily, great QBs like Elway and Young used to run in circles and throw passes (maybe not no look, haha). But there are other aspects to it as you say.

I think the NFL and media was trying to make Mahomeboy that guy for a few seasons with some outrageously premature GOAT talk. But it’s probably too late now - the NFL already has a global audience.
It is also much better with multiple superstars and rivalries. It’s looking really promising with Burrow, Herbert, Allen and Mahomes as the next generation of elite QBs.
Well Mahomes is certainly a spectacular player. I wonder how long Andy Reid is going to stick around for…..?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s kinda the same as I was saying about Brady at the Bucs, as much as maintain they were only a solid QB away and his play didn’t “turn them around” per se, him being in the room lifts everyone around him.

Look at the lift the crowd and the team got when Manning returned from injury to replace Osweiler.

Anyway the only point I’ve been making throughout all this is that trying to say he’s “only really got one ring” is stupid.

Charlie Foley

Is that how rings are handed out?

Read the page.
By this logic we should subtract one from Brady for the Rams Super Bowl where he threw for 0 touchdowns and an interception. But we should also add one for the Eagles game where he set passing records but still lost

Mike Smalling

Well Mahomes is certainly a spectacular player. I wonder how long Andy Reid is going to stick around for…..?
Reid is no spring chicken, that’s for sure, and he doesn’t look that healthy. I look forward to seeing what Mahomeboy looks like in another offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.