NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asger

They do have to be approved by all the teams, so yeah. If teams thought they weren't fair then it wouldn't be in their interest to give the green light to the rules/competiion committees and the owners to approve them.
Well, I would not trust all US people to approve things. After all they had Trump as President!

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I wonder how many of the cry babies in this thread (ironic really, as you are whining because the guy you detest for whining won, lol) would be mentioning anything about OT had the Bills won the toss and scored.

Statistically the team who receives in OT wins just over 50% of the time. But let's ignore that and call it a colossal advantage.

Honestly, some of you are quite simply embarrassing to be honest. Gone from genuinely being a decent thread to talk NFL to being like a RAWK thread.
I thought we were just memeing. There’s no need for serious conversation.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I wonder how many of the cry babies in this thread (ironic really, as you are whining because the guy you detest for whining won, lol) would be mentioning anything about OT had the Bills won the toss and scored.

Statistically the team who receives in OT wins just over 50% of the time. But let's ignore that and call it a colossal advantage.

Honestly, some of you are quite simply embarrassing to be honest. Gone from genuinely being a decent thread to talk NFL to being like a RAWK thread.
Well, considering P-Ro supports KC and I have zero strong feelings about either team... at least two of us. :lol:

It's not just that it's an automatic advantage to the offense, it's bullshit even when it isn't. In a game like this where the offenses are massively on top, it's a huge advantage, and in a low-scoring game played in a snowglobe, it's a massive advantage to the team with the second possession as they'll just need the field goal. There's no reason for both teams to not have a possession, and definitely not in playoff games.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have gotten used to the OT rules, defence is a part of the game and so you can’t just forget that while making the rules.

Chiefs 1.33 to win against the bengals . Crazy odds especially considering they already lost to them but it’s genuinely hard to see how the Bengals win in Arrowhead

Carolina Red

Staff
Well, I would not trust all US people to approve things. After all they had Trump as President!
I’d like to once again point out to you that the NFL’s rule isn’t the norm in American sport, and the “oh well duh it’s Murica” response is just dumb.

Charlie Foley

I thought Brady lost

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Great last 10 minutes or so of regulation to that bills/chiefs game.
And who calls tails in a coin toss?
Anyway, I feel somewhat bad for the bills but someone had to lose.

Carolina Red

Staff
Both teams should get a possession. It’s the only major sports league in America where that’s not the case. And beyond that, it breaks from the norm of every single level of football below it. From little league to college, each team gets a possession.

Obviously that has no bearing on tonight, and under the current rules, the Bills shoulda stopped the Chiefs if they wanted a shot at winning… but giving each team a possession would be good for the sport, and that’s what a rules committee needs to consider.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I have gotten used to the OT rules, defence is a part of the game and so you can’t just forget that while making the rules.

Chiefs 1.33 to win against the bengals . Crazy odds especially considering they already lost to them but it’s genuinely hard to see how the Bengals win in Arrowhead
I don't think it's crazy. We went 28-10 up and just went into cruise control. I don't think that will happen again. There were some frankly scandalous calls by the refs in their final 2 TD drives.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I know that Eboue post is from a few years back but it’s interesting how much interest in nfl has grown on the caf in the last 3 years . This whole weekend this thread has always been on the first page of the general part.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don't think it's crazy. We went 28-10 up and just went into cruise control. I don't think that will happen again. There were some frankly scandalous calls by the refs in their final 2 TD drives.

I understand and as I said myself I don’t see how Bengals win but still 1.33 for a championship game seems a bit much to me

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Even the greatest defences can’t stop great QB’s that are on it like Mahomes and Allen were. Not in the modern NFL.
Cheers! Although that doesn’t really tell why the sudden massive improvement (as I perceived it) in offensive prowess in the 4th quarter.

Majority of the game offenses are just trying to grind for first downs, keep possession, and rest the defense. The game is played with 11, 12, and 21 personnel, when teams chase points they switch to 10 personnel and defense take bigger players out of the box because the field is stretched. Defenses typically use zone in the 4th to cover distances, but you saw with the Bills they played man and got caught by the speed.

Great NFL qbs can play 10 personnel all game and score nonstop, but the opposition can do the same thing. It just isn't smart if want to win games, the Cowboys had this issue a few years back.
Wow, thanks for that explanation. I might not have quite understood one or two points in there but I think I got the overall idea.

Carolina Red

Staff
Wow, thanks for that explanation. I might not have quite understood one or two points in there but I think I got the overall idea.
If it’s the numbers for personnel, then they refer to how many RBs and TEs are on the field at a time.

10 personnel = 1 RB and 0 TE, so there’s 4 WR stretching the defense. 21 = 2 RB and 1 TE, so likely an I-formation. Etc.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
You know that the head coach doesn’t actually call the plays for offense, special teams, and defense right?
I know the coordinators call a lot of it, but I thought that the HC's had overall strategy on 4th downs, 2pts and kick offs etc i.e. when things become 'situational' as the Americans like to call it.

Tbh, I am still learning the game a bit.

Carolina Red

Staff
I know the coordinators call a lot of it, but I thought that the HC's had overall strategy on 4th downs, 2pts and kick offs etc i.e. when things become 'situational' as the Americans like to call it.

Tbh, I am still learning the game a bit.
I mean… sometimes, but the only way to know for sure would be if they were mic’d up or whatnot. Coordinators make good money to make those calls, and usually there’s input from the head coach, but he hired those guys to do a job for a reason. I guess my overarching point is… it’s unlikely that McDermott made every one of those play calls. And beyond that, on a play like the Kelce first down for example, #39 could have played the wrong technique vs what was called. They may have wanted him splitting Kelce’s numbers instead of taking up outside leverage, but he did the opposite. One of the biggest kicks I would get out of coaching football would be when someone would come up after a game or whatever and say “oh well you shoulda called this and covered that guy” and the whole time I’m thinking “well bud, we did call that to cover him, the player just didn’t do it :lol:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I mean… sometimes, but the only way to know for sure would be if they were mic’d up or whatnot. Coordinators make good money to make those calls, and usually there’s input from the head coach, but he hired those guys to do a job for a reason. I guess my overarching point is… it’s unlikely that McDermott made every one of those play calls. And beyond that, on a play like the Kelce first down for example, #39 could have played the wrong technique vs what was called. They may have wanted him splitting Kelce’s numbers instead of taking up outside leverage, but he did the opposite. One of the biggest kicks I would get out of coaching football would be when someone would come up after a game or whatever and say “oh well you shoulda called this and covered that guy” and the whole time I’m thinking “well bud, we did call that to cover him, the player just didn’t do it :lol:
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you're probably right but some of those calls tonight reminded me of the game last year (poor calls at bad times); so I am not sure I can give McD too much of a pass as he should've got a better grip on overall strategy this time around.

On an aside, another issue I had with the Bills today was how they didn't exploit Honey Badgers absence until the 2nd half (although that I strongly suspect is on Daboll.)

As you also point out, some of it may be due to poor play and/or the player just not doing what has instructed. McD I believe has said (only got this second hand) that the kick was 'poor execution'. However, I am not too sure how much I believe that as Bass has been pretty good and he just leathered that one straight into the end zone.

Either way, just a frustrating day as KC and the Rams seriously bother rub me up the wrong way.

Charlie Foley

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you're probably right but some of those calls tonight reminded me of the game last year (poor calls at bad times); so I am not sure I can give McD too much of a pass as he should've got a better grip on overall strategy this time around.

On an aside, another issue I had with the Bills today was how they didn't exploit Honey Badgers absence until the 2nd half (although that I strongly suspect is on Daboll.)

As you also point out, some of it may be due to poor play and/or the player just not doing what has instructed. McD I believe has said (only got this second hand) that the kick was 'poor execution'. However, I am not too sure how much I believe that as Bass has been pretty good and he just leathered that one straight into the end zone.

Either way, just a frustrating day as KC and the Rams seriously bother rub me up the wrong way.
I like this guy. You can join me and @Desert Eagle next weekend cheering for the good guys

Carolina Red

Staff

Look at the bright side…

The NFL has almost moved on from the Rodgers / Brady era now. (First time in over a decade one of them isn’t in the AFC/NFC champ game)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Only thing i don't understand is why the bills kicked it into the ez instead of taking a squib kick(is that what's called?) and take time off the clock

13 seconds is now too much time to leave Mahomes........fecking hell

Also, are these the two best QBs in the sport?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Only thing i don't understand is why the bills kicked it into the ez instead of taking a squib kick(is that what's called?) and take time off the clock

Clock doesn't start until someone touches it. I’m all for squibb kicks though since it’s a lot more difficult to handle.

ExoduS

As gunslingers, sure. But when it comes to proper running of the offense no one is better than Brady.

Carolina Red

Staff

I imagine part of it was fearing the speed that KC could put back to return the kick. The other part could also be that a squib does not guarantee time off the clock. If the squib is fielded early and knelt on, then you’ve given up even more field position and not gotten any time off the clock, as the clock won’t run until the return team touches the ball. A fair catch or immediate kneel down won’t help you kill time.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

A squib in this sort of situation (end of half instead of end of game but same difference) famously cost my NCAAF team a FG against Georgia in a playoff game where we lost in overtime. It went a bit wrong and they ended up in great field position with little time off the clock.

It can easily backfire as it’s something that’s not done much and there is a good chance it only helps your opponent.

And yes these are the two best QBs, much better than Brady. Don’t listen to anyone that says otherwise as they’re probably terrible people that hate puppies.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Well that rule was just ridiculous. That is almost like saying at the end of extra time in football that whoever wins the coin toss gets the first penalty and if they score, they win.
Well this rule for the last ten years is much better. The reason the old rule was changed was field goal accuracy. Something like 60% winners of the coin toss would win. I do agree however that giving the other team the ball after a TD in OT might be the way to go. Then again teams shouldn’t be letting the opposition march 80 yds for a TD right off the bat.

redpatron

Clock doesn't start until someone touches it. I’m all for squibb kicks though since it’s a lot more difficult to handle.
Squibb is the way to go especially on a frozen turf. The ball is already rock hard, it’s going to bounce all over the place.

Personally I would have just kicked it and force Hardman’s ego to play hero to run some clock out. As long as he doesn’t cross the 40, Mahomes has to thrown a Hail Mary to win it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Best weekend of football, ever.

Disgusted with that finish though. Really feel for Josh Allen. Feck the Chiefs, please not them again.

EDIT: just read the disussion about the OT rules. They feel unfair when games end like this, but they are the same for every team and both teams knew that before going in tonight's game, so no need to complain about them (Josh Allen certainly didn't). The Bills could've just kicked it short of the endzone, then not rush 4 when Mahomes needed to quickly get it out anyway, and then could've played better coverage on Hill and Kelce. No reason to complain about their D not being able to stop a great offense in OT.

I fear for the Bengals at Arrowhead next weekend, but at least their regular season match-up gives me some hope. Chiefs did well to take Diggs away last night but Davis took advantage, hopefully Chase-Higgins can do the same. They open up as -7 favourites, the Rams as -3.5 ones. Could be wrong but it feels like the Niners have been +3 underdogs or thereabouts for their last five games or so :lol:

I'd LOVE a Chiefs-Niners rematch with the Niners getting their revenge. Best case scenario if the Chiefs make it to the SB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.