NFL Thread

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Much as his other four Oline teammates are. It’s hard to therefore quantify his value relative to what his teammates are doing. Slightly different for a RB where you have some sort of quantitative point of reference.
I think the point is, the gap between good and bad linemen is massive in this league. More so than at running back.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Much as his other four Oline teammates are. It’s hard to therefore quantify his value relative to what his teammates are doing. Slightly different for a RB where you have some sort of quantitative point of reference.
And because you struggle to determine this value, it’s not there or less than Barkley’s? On what basis? Don’t get me wrong, Barkley is an incredible player, an amazing talent and one of the best at his position. But so is Nelson. And Nelson‘s impact could be felt throughout every single Colts game this season.
I think the Chiefs and the Steelers have shown very well how much an elite RB impacts a team.
And the Broncos have shown how easy it is to get one.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
the best part is that quenton nelson has the 27th highest salary at his position. saquon barkley has the 5th highest salary at his position
And Nelson should be able to play on a high level for a longer time, too.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
But...but...I thought Brady carried this Patriots team?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Garrett has had plenty of criticism during his tenure in Dallas, I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with him after that loss to the Rams though. Barely put a foot wrong.
Probably his best coaching performance this season getting an average side to the division title (albeit in a division that no one seemingly wanted to win). But his ceiling is basically a division title win every other season, and no further than a divisional playoff round. He's a terrible clock/game manager, not an offensive mastermind as Jerry would have had all believe circa 2007-2009, and simply doesn't strike me as the type players will go through a wall for. Unfortunately, this season's "success" will likely tell Jerry he's the man and thus give him another extension. Dallas will continuously be stuck in mediocrity sandwiched with the odd division title and the odd sub .500 season.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Give me a good article or 2 that explores this topic in depth
He's not. Analytics are actually showing that the RB position isn't as valuable. Cornerbacks, safeties, defensive ends, defensive tackles (who can rush the passer), offensive tackles, interior linemen and wide receiver all impact the passing game more, which is ultimately how you win football games. Barkley's biggest value comes from him being a great receiver, similar to Alvin Kamara.

It's not hate, it's just logical. Seahawks are a good example again. Alex Collins was a fifth round pick for the Seahawks in 2016, who accomplished very little playing for them, since he was stuck behind a terrible o-line. He got cut, since he was the worst RB on their roster in 2017. All of their other RBs did better than Collins. McKissic, Prosise, M. Davis and Carson. It wasn't a bad coaching or roster decision to cut him. Carson actually was close to being mister irrelevant and he was up until his injury the RB, who looked the best behind a terrible line. Collins got signed by the Ravens and suddenly became a factor, because he was playing with a competent line. Point is that offenvise linemen are far more valuable than running backs. Duane Brown immediately helped the Seahawks line to get better and they were less awful.
More:

The one starter thing is meaningless. There is only one starter at kicker and punter and fullback and tight end. Doesn't make those positions more or less valuable. Plus many teams give significant carries to multiple running backs.

As for establishing a running game, you are still living in the 90s. The league has changed. The Patriots have built a dynasty around using their cap and draft resources at other positions. In the Belichick era they used two first round picks on running backs, picks 18 and 21, who combined for 39 AV.

Teams are passing more and rushing less

And there is a clear correlation between passing and winning that doesn't exist for rushing.

Due to draft guarantees, running backs drafted in the first round get outsized contracts compared their position peers and that is unique among nfl positions.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ng-back-round-1-better-awesome-2017-nfl-draft

From that same article, here is the difference between round 1 and round 2 running backs.

1. Running is less important than ever to winning
2. Running backs drafted in the first round get disproportionate contracts compared to their peers in later rounds.
3. The top performing running backs are usually not picked in the first round.

So if you dont need them as much anymore, you cant identify on draft day which ones will perform best and there is an added cost for drafting them in the first round, it doesn't make sense to do it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Probably his best coaching performance this season getting an average side to the division title (albeit in a division that no one seemingly wanted to win). But his ceiling is basically a division title win every other season, and no further than a divisional playoff round. He's a terrible clock/game manager, not an offensive mastermind as Jerry would have had all believe circa 2007-2009, and simply doesn't strike me as the type players will go through a wall for. Unfortunately, this season's "success" will likely tell Jerry he's the man and thus give him another extension. Dallas will continuously be stuck in mediocrity sandwiched with the odd division title and the odd sub .500 season.
Aye, plenty of issues with Garrett for sure. Was just pointing out that last night's loss was a weird game to call him out on.

Having said that, there's plenty of NFL teams really struggling for HCs at the moment so maybe it's a case of better the devil you know. I'll be keen to see how things change with a new OC.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Beautiful call by the refs.

Wow what a hand off there by Brady. Excellent accuracy. Brady done? I think not!

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That should be Patriots ball.

These playoffs have yet to see a truly entertaining game.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think that's a recovery by NE.

This is so typical of the Chargers franchise. Just like the Marty years and the Air Coryell years - come up short. Astonishingly, the one year they actually overachieved was with Bobby fecking Ross only to get annihilated by the 49ers.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Rubbish weekend of games . All the favs fresh from the bye weeks have outplacement the wildcard winners and the least likely team to win is yet to play