NFL Thread

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I saw this and found it interesting:

And this article:

http://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...o-colin-kaepernicks-final-five-games-in-2016/

I think Jimmy G looked excellent in his starts for the Niners - and think as a passer he is more natural than Kap. I think he trusts his receivers to make a play on the ball more, and I think he places the ball better so that his receivers can pick up yards after the catch. I think Kap has a tendency to wait until his receiver is open before he throws.

That said, there is no talent-based reason why Kap should not be starting in the NFL - or at the very least be a backup.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Talking about QBs should we hate the Colts for playing Luck through bad injuries and potentially ruining is career and our pleasure?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Reich to the Colts - the Eagles have now lost their QB coach and OC in one week time, hopefully it won't affect their exciting offenes too much for next season.

Sandyman

Reich to the Colts - the Eagles have now lost their QB coach and OC in one week time, hopefully it won't affect their exciting offenes too much for next season.
Oh man. Was hoping we would be able to keep all the coaching staff but kinda expected they would go once better opportunities came along.

Wait. Is it confirmed? Or, is there a chance he will pull a "Daniels"? :D

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Talking about QBs should we hate the Colts for playing Luck through bad injuries and potentially ruining is career and our pleasure?
Yes. And for being completely clueless in trying to give him a team even remotely close to resembling a contender.
The Colts are wasting Luck in a way I haven’t seen before.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yes. And for being completely clueless in trying to give him a team even remotely close to resembling a contender.
The Colts are wasting Luck in a way I haven’t seen before.
You could argue Green Bay is doing the same with Rodgers, but Rodgers is just so good that he keeps making the playoffs and people don't notice it that much.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You could argue Green Bay is doing the same with Rodgers, but Rodgers is just so good that he keeps making the playoffs and people don't notice it that much.
Disagree. Rodgers had some really good teams in the first years. Around 2010 we had a brilliant roster, including the D.
As of lately, there have been issues, especially the departures of Hyde and Hayward were horrible for our D. But we’re nowhere near the level of ineptness the Colts seem to have subscribed to.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Gonna be a good offseason - looking forward to the draft, the trades and especially free agency. Lot of teams who werent strong at the beginning of last season ending up finishing the season strong and also vice versa. Hope we get some unpredictability again this time around. And as usual hope the Pats crash and burn and actually dont make the SB this time.

We need an rvn

And this article:

http://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...o-colin-kaepernicks-final-five-games-in-2016/

I think Jimmy G looked excellent in his starts for the Niners - and think as a passer he is more natural than Kap. I think he trusts his receivers to make a play on the ball more, and I think he places the ball better so that his receivers can pick up yards after the catch. I think Kap has a tendency to wait until his receiver is open before he throws.

That said, there is no talent-based reason why Kap should not be starting in the NFL - or at the very least be a backup.
This to me is where the NFL just doesn't make sense. Why do "kids" who come out of College, or Jimmy G, get a contract like that when players like Rodgers are on what they are. It's a bit like McTominay, having played 6 games for United, getting a new contract that exclipses the best paid midfielder in the world. Surely you need to prove you're worth a contract like Jimmy's rather than potential

Kazi

This to me is where the NFL just doesn't make sense. Why do "kids" who come out of College, or Jimmy G, get a contract like that when players like Rodgers are on what they are. It's a bit like McTominay, having played 6 games for United, getting a new contract that exclipses the best paid midfielder in the world. Surely you need to prove you're worth a contract like Jimmy's rather than potential
McTominay’s dead though, Jimmy G is a baller

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

And this article:

Statistics are misleading. Yet another example.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
One word, scarcity. At any given time there is less starting QBs than teams, so you are always in a situation where someone is looking for one and has the ability to pay for him. In this case of Garoppolo was a free agent next month, so the 49ers had two options pay big or let him talk to better teams with as much money.

Edit: Also previous contracts are only relevant if they are done in the same Salary cap situation, Rodgers contract is too "old" to be relevant.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Statistics are misleading. Yet another example.
Fair - although as I said, I think Jimmy is the right choice.

But that is not to say that Kap deserves a spot in the league.

As the final line of the article says:

I’m as happy as anyone to see Garoppolo succeed, and by all accounts, he deserves it — but so did Colin Kaepernick.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fair - although as I said, I think Jimmy is the right choice.

But that is not to say that Kap deserves a spot in the league.

As the final line of the article says:
The graphic was accurate to the extent that Kaepernick, after already having led his team to a Super Bowl, is more than good enough to be a starter.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm 100% aboard the Barkley and Ridley hype train and will probably draft them first and second in fantasy next season. They both look like unique talents.

drdoityourself

As a relative newcomer to the NFL, only been 3 years watching, I've become intrigued by the Cleveland Browns. Seeing them stack up draft picks for last years and this years draft, hopefully they have a chance to turn it around.
They have some assets going forward in Gordon, Thomas, Collins, Njoku, Garrett, Peppers in particular.

Round 1: No. 1, No. 4 (from Houston)
Round 2: No. 33, No. 35 (from Houston), No. 64 (from Philadelphia)
Round 3: No. 65
Round 4: First and 23rd pick (from Carolina) in the round
Round 5: First and 22nd pick (from Kansas City) in the round
Round 6: First pick in the round
Round 7: First pick in the round

They've hired Dorsey and revamped their draft scouting department.

I have high hopes for Cleveland, they can't get this wrong. I'm aware that has been said about Cleveland many times before.

My dream scenario in the draft is this:
Barkley at 1, Chubb at 4. Barkley could be a generational talent, combine him with Kirk Cousins. Cousins is from the Midwest and didn't blow them off when asked about the prospect. Cleveland has plenty of cap space to make him an offer. He could be the stable quarterback they need at this moment. They are still likely to draft Darnold and possibly take CB Fitzpatrick at 4. If Chubb is still available at 4 the pass rush with Garrett could be davastating.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Strength of Schedule:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-have-it-easiest-packers-face-roughest-ride/

Rank

1 Green Bay Packers (Toughest)

T-2 Detroit Lions
T-2 New Orleans Saints

4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

T-5 Cleveland Browns
T-5 Los Angeles Rams
T-5 Seattle Seahawks

T-8 Arizona Cardinals
T-8 Chicago Bears
T-8 Minnesota Vikings
T-8 New York Giants

12 Carolina Panthers

13 Atlanta Falcons

14 Washington Redskins

T-15 San Francisco 49ers
T-15 Dallas Cowboys
T-15 Miami Dolphins

18 Buffalo Bills

T-19 Philadelphia Eagles
T-19 Kansas City Chiefs

21 Baltimore Ravens

T-22 New England Patriots
T-22 Indianapolis Colts

24 Los Angeles Chargers

T-25 New York Jets
T-25 Pittsburgh Steelers
T-25 Jacksonville Jaguars
T-25 Denver Broncos

T-29 Oakland Raiders
T-29 Cincinnati Bengals

31 Tennessee Titans

32 Houston Texans (Easiest)

The Packers might have the most difficult schedule, but the award for the most stacked schedule probably goes to the Buccaneers, Ravens or Saints. All three of those teams will be playing a total of eight games against teams that made the playoffs in 2017. That means HALF THEIR SCHEDULE is against playoff teams.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Still think the Browns shouldn't have fired Brown but Hue Jackson instead. Going 0-16 with that roster is inexcusable.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm shocked that Barkley is rumored to go #1. I wouldn't take him in the top 10.
Why not? Genuine question, he's touted better as Zeke (or at least possible to have a similar impact) and he transformed his whole franchise in his rookie season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As a relative newcomer to the NFL, only been 3 years watching, I've become intrigued by the Cleveland Browns. Seeing them stack up draft picks for last years and this years draft, hopefully they have a chance to turn it around.
They have some assets going forward in Gordon, Thomas, Collins, Njoku, Garrett, Peppers in particular.

Round 1: No. 1, No. 4 (from Houston)
Round 2: No. 33, No. 35 (from Houston), No. 64 (from Philadelphia)
Round 3: No. 65
Round 4: First and 23rd pick (from Carolina) in the round
Round 5: First and 22nd pick (from Kansas City) in the round
Round 6: First pick in the round
Round 7: First pick in the round

They've hired Dorsey and revamped their draft scouting department.

I have high hopes for Cleveland, they can't get this wrong. I'm aware that has been said about Cleveland many times before.

My dream scenario in the draft is this:
Barkley at 1, Chubb at 4. Barkley could be a generational talent, combine him with Kirk Cousins. Cousins is from the Midwest and didn't blow them off when asked about the prospect. Cleveland has plenty of cap space to make him an offer. He could be the stable quarterback they need at this moment. They are still likely to draft Darnold and possibly take CB Fitzpatrick at 4. If Chubb is still available at 4 the pass rush with Garrett could be davastating.
Good post.

The Browns, just by virtue of their high draft spots over the past couple of years have accrued a good bit of talent. The problem they face is they don't seem to have anything to bind everything together into success. The case that most people could look to is the arc the 1989-92 Dallas Cowboys took from 1-15 in 89 to Super Bowl champs in 92. That team had three important characteristics that the Browns probably don't have.

- A world class head coach in the Fergie mold, who routinely made players to punch above their weights
- Accurate draft picks that addressed JJ's vision of where he wanted to take the Cowboys
- An iconic brand that everyone can get behind. The Browns, despite being an old team (at least by name) are nowhere near the Cowboys in terms of being the most valuable sports franchises (the Cowboys are still currently #1 ahead of Real Madrid).

The Browns, no matter what they do, are likely to struggle because their head coach hasn't yet demonstrated an aptitude to improve them (he is 1-31 over two seasons, which irrespective of a team's predicament, would've gotten most managers kicked to the curb).

In terms of this year's draft - they have some thinking to do in terms of the QB position since there are a few free agents available that could affect their logic of drafting Darnold, Rosen, (or Mayfield) at #1. If I'm the Browns, I would move for an experienced player like Foles (2nd rounder) or Bradford (4th), which would instantly take care of QB and allow them to leverage the #1 pick to allow another team who desperately want either Rosen or Darnold to trade up, which would give the Browns another great veteran player in exchange for moving down a couple of picks. They could then still get Barkley and a great future pro bowler like Roquan Smith or the like.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Why not? Genuine question, he's touted better as Zeke (or at least possible to have a similar impact) and he transformed his whole franchise in his rookie season.
He's not better than Zeke though. He averaged a whole yard less per carry. Barkley is a good returner and receiver but I don't think a team will want to put the #1 pick back to return kicks and take extra hits.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Fitz returning again for one more season. I wish he would be traded to a team with a chance of winning the SB. That guy deserves to win before he retires.

Phil

I am now a London game season ticket holder. To two games.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He's not better than Zeke though. He averaged a whole yard less per carry. Barkley is a good returner and receiver but I don't think a team will want to put the #1 pick back to return kicks and take extra hits.
Reggie Bush Mk.II.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is the only really transformational talent in this draft, unless one of these high risk QBs come good.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'm leaning towards Cousins signing with the Jets now that McCarron is on the market and probably off to Cleveland (as a stop-gap - they'll draft Allen #1 it appears). I've seen chatter/predictions ranging from 140M/5-yrs to 186M/6-yrs for Cousins.

Arizona and Denver are so cap strapped they would have to shed many pieces to fit Cousins in (Sanders and Thomas were mentioned on NFLN), which apparently would not entice Cousins. If winning now is the driving factor, even if taking a bit less, then he's surely off to Minnesota.

I think Denver may take a flier on Bradford. Arizona could go after Keenum if the Vikings go all out for Cousins, and Minnesota may end up with Bridgewater and Keenum back in the end. One club will likely get fecked in all of this and end up for someone like Glennon or McCown. That could force a club to pony up a high pick (i.e. 2nd rd) for Foles though the Eagles may be reluctant to cash in as Wentz may not be back by season opener. But the Eagles have big free agent decisions to make and not much cap room even after inevitable adjustments/cuts are made. They may have to cash in while the price is high, roll the dice on Sudfeld until Wentz is back, and bring in a vet guy on the cheap - like Glennon or McCown.