NHL 2009-10 Season

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Let's get 'er started eh?

The Olympics can go in here too, the draft is soon, a fun free agency coming up, let the parade begin !!

Tribec

As one of the few Oiler fans here, I can't say I was happy with the appointment of Quinn, however I respect the guys credentials and I've got to give him a go. He's got nothing recently to live up to, but I suspect anything short of the play-off's and the fans will turn, as loyal they were to a point with MacT prior, he was one of the old boys, and this is a step into the unkown almost for us.

As for the season as a whole, I really don't see much difference, the top four in each conference will probably be the same, the top 5 maybe, the only changes will be 6,7,8 where the fight for the play-off's might spring a surprise or two.

The Olympic's will be the big one, and I guess Canada have to be seen as slight favourites, with it being on home ice, and NHL ice rink size. This tourney may well be the closest in years though, and fun to watch.

Alex

As one of the few Oiler fans here, I can't say I was happy with the appointment of Quinn, however I respect the guys credentials and I've got to give him a go. He's got nothing recently to live up to, but I suspect anything short of the play-off's and the fans will turn, as loyal they were to a point with MacT prior, he was one of the old boys, and this is a step into the unkown almost for us.

As for the season as a whole, I really don't see much difference, the top four in each conference will probably be the same, the top 5 maybe, the only changes will be 6,7,8 where the fight for the play-off's might spring a surprise or two.

The Olympic's will be the big one, and I guess Canada have to be seen as slight favourites, with it being on home ice, and NHL ice rink size.
This tourney may well be the closest in years though, and fun to watch.
Will still feck up the NHL imo, reckon there could be a big surprise winner or major player in the Stanley Cup Finals

Iron Stove

Looking forward to the draft. It's probably the best Swedish draft class of all time (not saying they will be the best generation though, far too early to tell). It will be interesting to see where players like Hedman, Svensson-Pääjärvi and Josefson will end up.

Looking forward to the Olympics as well. We won't have as good a team as last time around. No Forsberg, probably no Sundin. Still a pretty good roster with some quality players like Bäckström, Zetterberg, Alfie, Franzen, Lundqvist and Lidström (please don't decline playing or I will kill myself). Canada are probably the favourites because of their great team (surprise surprise) and home ice advantage, but Russia's offence is fecking ridiculous. The US have a pretty interesting team and Finland will probably be good even if they won't have a scary team on paper this time. Can't wait for it to start. I love the fact that the Olympics will be held in a (the) hockey country this time.

nyrfan818

Switzerland to win the Olympics! If they'll make it? Remember last Olympics when they shut out Canada and beat the Czech Republic? That was crazy.

In terms of NHL, it will be interesting to see what the Rangers do. We've got quite a few problems that need fixing. We signed Matt Gilroy, the winner of the Hobey Baker Award, and I could see him stepping into the team right away on defense. That means there's a very real possibility that we don't resign Mara (which is a pity, because he's a great team player). That is, unless we find someone that will take Roszival off of our hands. He's by far the most tradeable of our "big" contracts. On offense, we've got Callahan, Dubinsky, and Zherdev all of whom are RFA's. It'll be interesting to see if we keep Zherdev. He started last season out on fire, but then slowed to a near stand still, and he looked lost in the playoffs. He's got the most talent of any player on this team though (besides Lundqvist), and he'd be cheaper than any of the other "talented" players we've got. I could definitely see Sather trying his damndest to get one of the more marquee free agents this year. We don't have much cap space to work with, but he recognizes the huge need we have for goal scoring. I could see us going for Gaborik.... Seems to fit right in with the Rangers. We can pay a guy a huge sum of money and then he'll play 40 games a season for us. That's the Ranger way.

If Sather waives Wade Redden before this year starts, I will never say a bad word about him again. Fat chance..

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Well, that's the case every time you don't win everything isn't it?
Naw not really, there's too many power hungry fans of hockey in this nation, we can't accept when we're not #1 sometimes and it's a bit of an embarassment.

You can't deny, the men who played in 2006 were shite.

Iron Stove

Naw not really, there's too many power hungry fans of hockey in this nation, we can't accept when we're not #1 sometimes and it's a bit of an embarassment.

You can't deny, the men who played in 2006 were shite.
I didn't get to watch Canada much as I lived in Italy back then and the hockey interest isn't exactly huge over there :lol:. They barely aired the last few games of the tournament. Was disappointing for Canada that's for sure. Switzerland for christ's sake!

A bit like Sweden in 2002. Apart from goalie position, that team was incredible, better than the one that won in Turin. Probably the best we've ever had.. And we went out against Belarus of all teams and Tommy Salo became the most hated man in the country. I almost cried.

Getting back to the NHL, I wonder where Heatley will end up. Pretty cnutish behaviour by him if you ask me. With questions marks about his attitude and the huge cap hit it will be interesting to see just how much teams will be willing to give up to get him. Add to that the fact that he has a NMC clause and can cherry pick where he wants to go. A bit like how he plays hockey ;)

Seriolusly he's a great player, a beast on the PP.

Iron Stove

*Bump*

Draft is tomorrow. Will certainly be interesting, hope I can find a stream to avoid the amateur Swedish coverage. I've only seen a couple of WJC games from Tavares and he looks like a superb player in the Heatley mould, but if Hedman won't make it big I'll eat my hat*.

Do you have any favourites in this draft? I don't get to watch a lot of the NA prospects, but I think Carl Klingberg will be a very good grinder. Also, Josefson from my beloved Djurgården will be very decent imo. Plays a very mature two-way game.

*Don't actually own one.

izzydiggler

*Bump*

Draft is tomorrow. Will certainly be interesting, hope I can find a stream to avoid the amateur Swedish coverage. I've only seen a couple of WJC games from Tavares and he looks like a superb player in the Heatley mould, but if Hedman won't make it big I'll eat my hat*.

Do you have any favourites in this draft? I don't get to watch a lot of the NA prospects, but I think Carl Klingberg will be a very good grinder. Also, Josefson from my beloved Djurgården will be very decent imo. Plays a very mature two-way game.

*Don't actually own one.
I'd take Hedman over Tavares. I'd be slightly concerned over Tavares' skating ability in the NHL. I don't think he'll put up the numbers that other highly touted draft picks have had. Although if the Islanders were to take Hedman, being in a team with Lacavilier, St Louis and even Stamkos, wouldn't hurt his chances.

Don't really watch a lot of junior hockey though, so apart from the odd game/clip and reading the scouting reports, there's not a lot to go on.

Iron Stove

I'd take Hedman over Tavares. I'd be slightly concerned over Tavares' skating ability in the NHL. I don't think he'll put up the numbers that other highly touted draft picks have had. Although if the Islanders were to take Hedman, being in a team with Lacavilier, St Louis and even Stamkos, wouldn't hurt his chances.

Don't really watch a lot of junior hockey though, so apart from the odd game/clip and reading the scouting reports, there's not a lot to go on.
Just like you say, Tampa have some very good players. I actually wish Hedman goes to Tampa for the sake of his career. They have some truly great forwards and are longing for a franchise d-man. The Islanders on the other hand.. Sure, they have some nice players like Streit, DiPietro (when fit), Okopso and Bailey, but I can't really see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Admittedly, I'm a huge fan of Hedman. To do what he's done at this age in the Swedish SEL is pretty much unheard of. Not even Lidström was this dominant at his age over here. I really hope he'll fulfil his potential since there haven't really been any superstar prospects coming through lately over here.

Iron Stove

Nice! I've had a long day but I'll try to stay awake. Only 40 minutes to go now..

Iron Stove

Watching a TSN stream right now.. That thin bald guy is pretty annoying (can't remember his name), but I dig the grey haired one I always thought was pretty reasonable (McKenzie?)

They said Pronger is getting traded to Philly.. That would be interesting.

nyrfan818

Gotta love the Isles. Only they would trade 4 picks to move from 16 to 12 for a guy that wasn't likely to be taken before 16.

Pretty happy with the Rangers pick, he looks exciting. Think Tampa win the first round just by getting Hedman. He seems fantastic.

And damnit on Pronger coming to the Atlantic Division

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
feck Pronger.

Glad my Habs took a French-Canadian, a) because it never happens anymore, and b) He's actually a VERY good player

Iron Stove

Bouwmeester was traded to Calgary today. They are going to have a great defence with Regehr, Phaneuf and him.

izzydiggler

Watching a TSN stream right now.. That thin bald guy is pretty annoying (can't remember his name), but I dig the grey haired one I always thought was pretty reasonable (McKenzie?)

They said Pronger is getting traded to Philly.. That would be interesting.
Pierre McGuire.....what a twat!!

The flyers struggle enough with penalties....Pronger as well?!?

izzydiggler

Just like you say, Tampa have some very good players. I actually wish Hedman goes to Tampa for the sake of his career. They have some truly great forwards and are longing for a franchise d-man. The Islanders on the other hand.. Sure, they have some nice players like Streit, DiPietro (when fit), Okopso and Bailey, but I can't really see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Admittedly, I'm a huge fan of Hedman. To do what he's done at this age in the Swedish SEL is pretty much unheard of. Not even Lidström was this dominant at his age over here. I really hope he'll fulfil his potential since there haven't really been any superstar prospects coming through lately over here.
Praise indeed. If he achieves half of what Lidstrom has, then he will have done well. It seemed that Tavares wanted to be the no1 pick so much, that he's not thought of how he's going to struggle in that Islanders team, even in the years to come. Hedman on the other hand, will walk into a team which is loaded with offensive talent. They'll probably lose some by the time he's playing regularly, but still are in a much better situation. Can't wait to see him in action.

Iron Stove

Pierre McGuire.....what a twat!!
Yeah, that's the one!

The flyers struggle enough with penalties....Pronger as well?!?
:lol: He'll fit right in.

Looks like they're going for the cup next season. They gave up quite a lot to get him.

Praise indeed. If he achieves half of what Lidstrom has, then he will have done well. It seemed that Tavares wanted to be the no1 pick so much, that he's not thought of how he's going to struggle in that Islanders team, even in the years to come. Hedman on the other hand, will walk into a team which is loaded with offensive talent. They'll probably lose some by the time he's playing regularly, but still are in a much better situation. Can't wait to see him in action.
Just to make things clear.. I'm not expecting him to be as good as Lidström. He's the best we've ever had.

izzydiggler

Yeah, that's the one!

:lol: He'll fit right in.

Looks like they're going for the cup next season. They gave up quite a lot to get him.

Just to make things clear.. I'm not expect him to as good as Lidström. He's the best we've ever had.
Well it's even more reason to hate the Flyers!! But Lupol, especially is a good player and 2 first rounders too with another 2 so-so players? That is ridiculous. The cap hit is huge too and with Pronger's likelihood for suspension and even retirement in a few years, the Flyers are going to have to do it soon. If Mike Richards continues to improve and Jeff Carter stays fit, they could be a threat from the east but I still don't see them at the top.

Regarding Hedman, it's unfair to even talk about anybody as the next Lidstrom, but he does look good in the few games I've seen. Good size too and his offense will no doubt improve. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the NHL.

Iron Stove

Well it's even more reason to hate the Flyers!! But Lupol, especially is a good player and 2 first rounders too with another 2 so-so players? That is ridiculous. The cap hit is huge too and with Pronger's likelihood for suspension and even retirement in a few years, the Flyers are going to have to do it soon. If Mike Richards continues to improve and Jeff Carter stays fit, they could be a threat from the east but I still don't see them at the top.
That's the feeling I get too. It has to suck to give up some quality players and two first rounders, but I have to say they have a very interesting team. Players like Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere, Giroux on the forward side and Pronger, Timonen and Coburn on D. Pretty impressive. The big problem seems to be goaltending. If that nutter Emery can deliver they'll have one of the best teams in the league next year. But yeah, they will be looking at some real hefty penalty minutes, that's for sure :lol:

Which is your team izzy? I'm guessing Rangers or Pittsburgh ;)

RufRT

Obama Fan
feck Pronger.

Glad my Habs took a French-Canadian, a) because it never happens anymore, and b) He's actually a VERY good player
Was hoping they could swing a trade for Vinnie...didn't happen, yet.

Good draft by Timmins and crew...could be some real sleepers in there.

Iron Stove

I see why Lecavallier would be the ultimate trade by the Canadiens but do you really want to take on his cap hit for that amount of time?

Alex

The Avalanche wanted LeCavalier in 1998 and apparently offered Sakic for him, TB wanted Forsberg and Lacroix hung up the phone.

Iron Stove

The Avalanche wanted LeCavalier in 1998 and apparently offered Sakic for him, TB wanted Forsberg and Lacroix hung up the phone.
Well done by Lacroix even considering the injuries imo, given that the years they still got out of him. But I have to admit I'm extremely biased here. Everytime I even think about Forsberg it kills me that he isn't in the NHL playing right now. A fit Forsberg would still be the no 1 center for Sweden at the olympics next year.

Alex

Well done by Lacroix even considering the injuries imo, given that the years they still got out of him. But I have to admit I'm extremely biased here. Everytime I even think about Forsberg it kills me that he isn't in the NHL playing right now. A fit Forsberg would still be the no 1 center for Sweden at the olympics next year.
Forsberg was the best player in the NHL for a few years there is no doubt about that in my mind

izzydiggler

Which is your team izzy? I'm guessing Rangers or Pittsburgh ;)
What gave it away? The hating the Flyers quote I guess!!

I am a Penguins fan-have been for over 20 years. From England, but have seen them in Pittsburgh a fair few times and made a trip over to your native Sweden last year to see the premiere games.

Not a bad season for us:D.

Iron Stove

What gave it away? The hating the Flyers quote I guess!!
Yeah, that was the one hehe. If you hated the Flyers before I guess you'll be doing it even more now that they've got Pronger.

I am a Penguins fan-have been for over 20 years. From England, but have seen them in Pittsburgh a fair few times and made a trip over to your native Sweden last year to see the premiere games.

Not a bad season for us:D.
Decent ;) Pretty cool btw how you guys drafted Ulf Samuelsson's son.

izzydiggler

Yeah, that was the one hehe. If you hated the Flyers before I guess you'll be doing it even more now that they've got Pronger.

Decent ;) Pretty cool btw how you guys drafted Ulf Samuelsson's son.
I have a friend who is a Sharks fan and he hates Pronger! I've always enjoyed watching him play dirty, but it was always against a team I didn't care about. He'll do 'well' to overtake Hartnell as the person I love to hate, but no doubt he's capable of doing it! Can't wait for the season to start......but it's so long away!

It's great about Ulf's son. Coincidentally, I watched game 6 of the 91 finals last week-what a player he was!! A bit like Pronger I guess:D, although not quite at his level.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Silly season in hockey is almost as good as football:

On the Lecavalier front...The Habs are still trying to put forth the "solid hockey deal" that the Lightning are looking for here. I fully expect that tonight becomes a major night in the Vinny saga and tomorrow will be all Vinny all the time. The Wild, Rangers, Islanders, Canucks, Kings, and Oilers all are in on this as well hould the Habs fail.

Iron Stove

I have a friend who is a Sharks fan and he hates Pronger! I've always enjoyed watching him play dirty, but it was always against a team I didn't care about. He'll do 'well' to overtake Hartnell as the person I love to hate, but no doubt he's capable of doing it! Can't wait for the season to start......but it's so long away!
Can't wait either. I loved watching Anaheim in the play-offs and Pronger had a huge part in that. He's a very good player, albeit dirty (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) . I love defenders who protects the goalie and he's really tough yet also very capable offensively. Second best D-man of his generation imo.

It's great about Ulf's son. Coincidentally, I watched game 6 of the 91 finals last week-what a player he was!! A bit like Pronger I guess:D, although not quite at his level.
Would love to watch that. I played hockey at the time but was too young to actually remember it and even if I would we had just moved on from having only two (!) tv-channels over here with no one airing the NHL at all. Must be brilliant to see a young Mario doing his thing. And you're right, Samuelsson was no Pronger but a very good player nonetheless from what I've seen (his later years). Ulfie was a very un-typical Swede. Tough as nails and honestly, a dirty player. I really like him for that fact, because of his unconventional style. Just like I love Douglas Murray who plays for the Sharks for the same reason. Ulf seems to be remembered mostly because some claim he ended Cam Neely's career. But at the same time Scott Stevens is generally admired and he ended a whole bunch of careers including Lindros'.
Too bad his son has chosen to represent the US, but I can understand it with him growing up over there and all.

Sorry for somehow making most of my posts in the hockey threads about Sweden, but I really focus on Swedish players in general so they are the ones I know the best. But any hockey talk is better than none right? I'm surprised that we actually get some very decent hockey discussion going at all at a Man Utd forum of all places.

I have to say though that if I have one favourite player right now he's American and goes by the name of TJ Oshie. Love everything about the way that guy plays hockey.

RufRT

Obama Fan
I see why Lecavallier would be the ultimate trade by the Canadiens but do you really want to take on his cap hit for that amount of time?
Well, it should be interesting to see which one of the UFA's is let go without an offer...I'm more worried they will lose Komisarek which would be a big hole to fill.

But the thought of vinny in a habs uniform ? :drool:

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Well, it should be interesting to see which one of the UFA's is let go without an offer...I'm more worried they will lose Komisarek which would be a big hole to fill.

But the thought of vinny in a habs uniform ? :drool:
Eeek, I think we see opposite ends of this one mate.

First: Komisarek and Kozzy needed to go, neither to be is sufficient for their roles: both are second or third line defencemen... O'Byrne, Georges, P.K. Subban and Weber can clean up the slack, all of them have great potential and i'd love to see them develop.

I was hoping we'd make the run for Bouwmeester but since that seems out of luck as Calgary is going to break their bank to get him so he's going nowhere.

As for Vinny, eek, naw man, the buzz died out long ago when we didn't get him originally when André Savard fecked up getting him.

nyrfan818

Silly season in hockey is almost as good as football:

On the Lecavalier front...The Habs are still trying to put forth the "solid hockey deal" that the Lightning are looking for here. I fully expect that tonight becomes a major night in the Vinny saga and tomorrow will be all Vinny all the time. The Wild, Rangers, Islanders, Canucks, Kings, and Oilers all are in on this as well hould the Habs fail.
No way the Rangers could get Lecavalier unless the Lightning took either Gomez, Drury, or Redden back in the deal. I'd be quite surprised if he isn't with the Lightning when the season starts tbh.

Wonder what the Senators are holding out for in return for Heatley. I guess it's down to the Rangers or Oilers at this point? I have no idea how we'd be able to fit him under the cap though. They'd have to, at the very least, take Roszival. Of course he's the guy with the most manageable big contract on our team and the one who lives up to it most (besides Lundqvist obviously).

It's also looking like Torts and Sather have decided to part ways with our entire 4th line and are looking to let some of our younger players take their spots. I'm really split on it. I like Orr, but I have to admit he's quite expendable. You don't NEED a fighter like him to be successful anymore. In terms of Sjostrom and especially Betts, I'm really not so sure we're going the right direction. Last year the Rangers had the best PK in the league and I can assure you, that was in large part thanks to those two. The best PK'ing duo in the league they were, bar none. Whichever team gets Betts is getting one of the best fourth liners out there. I'd imagine he'll be going to Edmonton to be reunited with assistant coach Renney.

Still, open spots on the roster means players like Evgeny Grachev, Artem Anisimov, Bobby Sanguinetti, Michael Del Zotto and others are going to get a shot. Grachev in particular seems to be a fantastic prospect and I'd love to see him in New York.