NHL 2009-10 Season

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
No probs!

Strange deal-guess that's Havlat gone and with big contracts coming up for Kane and Toews (among others), they are going to be in some cap trouble next year.

Ha ha ha-as long as it's to the Pens, I'll be happy.
Naw, they're okay I think, considering the core of good, young talent they have there, i'd see no reason for someone to get greedy.

Iron Stove

Seems like it's actually 4.4 a year which makes it a lot more reasonable.

Brashear to Rangers and Knuble to the Caps are another couple of fresh signings.

izzydiggler

Naw, they're okay I think, considering the core of good, young talent they have there, i'd see no reason for someone to get greedy.
Yeah but you have to pay the talent. Kane, Versteeg, Seabrook and Ladd are all due pay rises next year (I think) and I Toews is due one this year. With Campbell on $7+ million, they are going to hit some trouble I think. Perhaps Gainey will trade for Campbell to give them hand :D.

izzydiggler

Brashear to Rangers and Knuble to the Caps are another couple of fresh trades.
Was kinda hoping Knuble would go to the Pens-not a bad price at $1.4 a year.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player

Brashear to Rangers and Knuble to the Caps are another couple of fresh signings.
:lol: I guess I got a bit scared there, 4.4 a year is actually not awful for a lazy git

Yeah but you have to pay the talent. Kane, Versteeg, Seabrook and Ladd are all due pay rises next year (I think) and I Toews is due one this year. With Campbell on $7+ million, they are going to hit some trouble I think. Perhaps Gainey will trade for Campbell to give them hand :D.
I would gladly accept.

Seabrook, Barker, a new goalie as well... now I think about it, yeah they do need help :nervous:

Iron Stove

Niedermayer signed for a year. Good on Anaheim. Would have been brutal for them to lose both him and Pronger.

sidsutton

We have ALOT of young guys developing and we've traded arguably our future 1st line defencemen.

Gomez restricts what would have been a busy off-season this year, and what will be over the next 2 with our immense number of young players. Getting Payatt in the deal is a slight win for us, if he regains his Jr. form.

How is this Mike Busto fella?

You guys got our second best defensive prospect behind Weber, and like you said, he has NHL written all over him... a good, young, physical 3rd line defencemen in Valentenko, a vet in Janik and when Higgins is on his game, he's as good if not better than Gomez.
MAte, PK Subban is touted as our best prospect. WTF are you on about. Janik is worthless and Higgins is in no way as good as Gomez. The Canadians got rid of Higgins as he was one of the "bad apples" Carbo was talking about.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Subban isn't NHL ready, hence why I cited Weber who will be one of the 6 next year.

I'm confused by your hostility.

We just got Spacek, 3 years, 11.5

Sigh

Iron Stove

And don't forget you guys have the Torp(edo)! ;)

Love that guy, but I'm far from sure he'll actually make the NHL.

izzydiggler

Hal Gill to the Habs. $5 million 2 years.:lol:

was decent on the pk for us but can't believe he got that!

Iron Stove

Cammalleri to the Canadiens at 6 mil - 5 years. Very good player that. Finally some positive news for Montreal fans. Cap hit is a bit high perhaps, but that's often the case with UFAs.

Iron Stove

I've been watching a TSN stream all day and watch tons of games this way and I have to say some of your commercials are close to driving me insane. The one about the silver coins for one (or is that one American?) and especially the one with some shouting guy selling some kind of food grinder who suddenly goes "you're gonna love my nuts!" :lol:

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Cammalleri to the Canadiens at 6 mil - 5 years. Very good player that. Finally some positive news for Montreal fans. Cap hit is a bit high perhaps, but that's often the case with UFAs.
Jesus feck all the action and rumors, I have one thing to look forward to.

How Gill and Spacek got the deals they got is just proof Gainey WANTS to be fired

Iron Stove

Building a team through UFA signings is seldom a smart thing. Just ask the Rangers.

Iron Stove

Sammy Påhlsson one of my absolute favourite players goes to Columbus at a 2,65 / 3 years. A bit on the expensive side given his limited offense but he's still fairly young and if he can regain the form he showed back when Anaheim won the cup it will be totally worth it.

Iron Stove

Hey nyrfan, looks like Christmas has come early for you guys. First you get rid of one of your monster contracts and now Gaborik is reported to have signed for 5.75 x five years. If he could put his injury woes behind him that's just an incredibly good deal for you guys.

A fit Gaborik is easily one of the top 10 forwards in the league when healthy.

Edit - TSN reported it as 5.75 at first, but it seem to acutally be 7.5. I'd still be very excited though.

Am I spamming this thread or what? Good night y'all.

Alex

Won't it be funny if the Red Wings when the Cup next year and the Blackhawks lose in the 7th game of the Western Conference Finals to them, for Marian Hossa that is

nyrfan818

Building a team through UFA signings is seldom a smart thing. Just ask the Rangers.
He's right. Free agency is an evil, evil thing.

Free agents the Rangers have signed in the past 10 years via a Rangers blog. I'll bold the ones who actually worked out.

Theo Fleury
Val Kamensky
Sylvain Lefebvre
Stephane Quintal
Kirk McLean
Tim Taylor
Ray Ferraro
Bruce Driver
John MacLean kinda
Bobby Holik
Darius Kasparaitis
Wade Redden
Chris Drury
Scott Gomez
Brendan Shanahan kinda
Martin Rucinsky
Steve Rucchin
Vladimir Malakhov
Mark Messier (the sequel)
Aaron Voros
Markus Naslund
Martin Straka Worked fairly well with Jagr
Jason Strudwick
Alex Gusarov
Dave Karpa
Matt Cullen
Dan Girardi A shrewd pick up by Sather. Do wonders never cease?
Marek Malik I thought he was good. Every other Rangers fan hated him.
Michael Nylander Worked wonders with Jagr.
Michal Rozsival Til he was resigned to that ludicrous contract.
Aaron Ward
Jason Ward
Kevin Weekes
Greg DeVries
Chris Simon
Ted Donato
Zdeno Ciger
Barrett Heisten
Steve McKenna
Igor Ulanov

Hey nyrfan, looks like Christmas has come early for you guys. First you get rid of one of your monster contracts and now Gaborik is reported to have signed for 5.75 x five years. If he could put his injury woes behind him that's just an incredibly good deal for you guys.

A fit Gaborik is easily one of the top 10 forwards in the league when healthy.

Edit - TSN reported it as 5.75 at first, but it seem to acutally be 7.5. I'd still be very excited though.

Am I spamming this thread or what? Good night y'all.
I'm unsure of Gaborik for that price. He's a great talent, there's absolutely no doubting that. But there are those pesky injuries which really make things a lot more complicated when it comes to him. Still, if he stays healthy, I love the signing. Huge if.

Don't like the Brashear signing one bit. Strongly dislike him as a hockey player. He's a thug.

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta isn't a horrible line though. Very fast. But it is way, way overpaid.

Hossa can do well on the Hawks. He'll be the third best player there - kind of like how it was in Detroit. The man can never be the best player on a team, but can be good in the background. The length of that contract is absurd though.

nyrfan818

MAte, PK Subban is touted as our best prospect. WTF are you on about. Janik is worthless and Higgins is in no way as good as Gomez. The Canadians got rid of Higgins as he was one of the "bad apples" Carbo was talking about.
Don't believe everything the Canadian media tells you. They also seem to think Colton Orr is the saviour that the Maple Leafs have been looking for. :lol:

Seriously though, you guys have put Gomez in a position to do well, but at what cost? How will the rest of your team look? You've got 18.5 million going to your first line and then another 4.4 to Kovalev. We shall see though. I think you guys will be okay - you'll make the playoffs but will not be challenging for any Cups with that roster.

sidsutton

Gaborik will be the best paid player per game played next season...so no change there.

I don`t know what to think about what Gainey has done. Obviously getting rid of bad rubbish is a good thing, just wish he could have got at least one forward with a bit of physical presence. I suppose Kovalev resigns and Tanguay walks leaving, what, 2 Québecois with the team?

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Seriously though, you guys have put Gomez in a position to do well, but at what cost? How will the rest of your team look?
This is how a scared fan finishes his shift at work:

Cammelleri $6M - Gomez $7.35M – Gionta $5M
Kostitsyn $3.25M - Plekanec $2.2M - Kostitsyn $0.820M
Latendresse $1.5M - Lapierre $0.700M - Pacioretty $0.875M
Chipchura $1M - Metropolit $1M - D'Agostini $0.700M
Stewart $0.700M, Laraque $1.5M

TOTAL: $32.6M

Markov $5.75M - Gorges $1.1M
Hamrlik $5.5M – Gill $2.25M
Spacek $3.834M - Weber $0.875M
O'Byrne $0.950M

TOTAL: $20.25M

Price $2.2M
Halak $0.775M

TOTAL: 2.975M

TEAM TOTAL: $55.8M

AKA, we're done, we haven't locked up one of our UFA's, and unless we trade Plekanic, Laraque, Chipchura/Metro, or try to find a suitor for Hamrlik... THAT SAID, next year looks grim to re-sign alot of our young guys.

As a result we're probably going to go for someone else in the market rather then lock up Tanguay, Kovalev, Koivu, etc... shame, the team is getting facelifted to feck

RufRT

Obama Fan
holy hell, I'm going to puke.....Komisarek to the Laffs ? Jesus...

Hal Gill ? Spacek ? McDonaugh traded away...

Habs made an offer of 20 mill to Komisarek today...he walked for a difference 2.5 over 5 years...fargin 500k a year....

Strangely, I'm ok with Gionta/Gomez/Cammalleri being added...but man, are we a small sized team now

Iron Stove

I'm unsure of Gaborik for that price. He's a great talent, there's absolutely no doubting that. But there are those pesky injuries which really make things a lot more complicated when it comes to him. Still, if he stays healthy, I love the signing. Huge if.
He's such an exciting player when fit. He'll definately be worth the cap hit if he can stay healthy, but as you say that's a huge if.

Don't like the Brashear signing one bit. Strongly dislike him as a hockey player. He's a thug.
He's a thug no doubt but I read an interview with him that kind of made me warm to him. He had a terrible childhood and his father beat him and his mom. Still, I get why you don't like him after what he did against.. Betts (right?) in the play offs.

Hossa can do well on the Hawks. He'll be the third best player there - kind of like how it was in Detroit. The man can never be the best player on a team, but can be good in the background. The length of that contract is absurd though.
I don't really like Hossa, but he's obviously a great signing for them. I don't think Detroit will miss him that much though.

Iron Stove

I'm pretty much a neutral and mostly just cheer for Swedes and some other players I really like in the NHL, but I'll try to catch a lot of St Louis (my child hood fav team) and Tampa bay games next year. I never really felt a strong affiliation with any one NHL team since my early teens, so this might come off as glory hunting. Still, it's fecking Tampa bay so glory hunting really is stretching it :lol:

It's funny, in football I pretty much despise 90% of the Swedish players while in hockey I cheer for basically all of them*. I think hockey players in general are really decent people and good role models compared to the big brother celebs of today's football.

Anyhow The Lightning will have a very interesting team next year. Depth is a weakness though. Lecavallier, St Louis, Stamkos, Öhlund, Meszaros, Hedman etc.. I think they could make the playoffs next year.

Other teams I'll keep an eye on are the Rangers, Detroit (pretty obvious why) and New Jersey (because of who they just drafted - two of my local teams payers).

* There are exceptions like Huselius, Samuelsson and most who are affiliated with the Swedish club AIK ;)

nyrfan818

He's such an exciting player when fit. He'll definately be worth the cap hit if he can stay healthy, but as you say that's a huge if.
Yea, I'll always remember that game he scored 5 against us. He's very dynamic and it'll be interesting to see what he'll do if he manages to stay healthy in an offensive type of system. He didn't really get a chance to showcase that talent with Minnesota really.

What really becomes interesting is who his linemates will be next year. Zherdev seems like the most natural person to play with him in that he's by far the second most dynamic player on the team when he wants to be. He's got a great eye for a pass, but was relied upon too heavily to be a goal scorer for us last year, which is not his strongest role. Only problem is, both are RW's. Would Zherdev be willing to move to LW to play with Gaborik? I'd imagine he would be, but it'll be something to watch out for. I'd imagine Dubinsky would start the year centering that line with his experience playing with another star in Jagr, but I don't think those two would be too compatible really. Anisimov seems like the best option except for the fact that he'll be a rookie. Unless we manage to sign Koivu, the answer's going to have to come from within though, so that should be interesting.

He's a thug no doubt but I read an interview with him that kind of made me warm to him. He had a terrible childhood and his father beat him and his mom. Still, I get why you don't like him after what he did against.. Betts (right?) in the play offs.
Yea I have a bit of sympathy for him in that regards, but some of his actions on the ice are unforgivable. Two times since the lockout he's been suspended for actions against Rangers players. That's not to discount his numerous other transgressions. I just dislike him. That Betts one in particular was bad. Just a horrible and completely unsportsmanlike hockey play.

I don't really like Hossa, but he's obviously a great signing for them. I don't think Detroit will miss him that much though.
Detroit never misses anyone it seems.

I'm pretty much a neutral and mostly just cheer for Swedes and some other players I really like in the NHL, but I'll try to catch a lot of St Louis (my child hood fav team) and Tampa bay games next year. I never really felt a strong affiliation with any one NHL team since my early teens, so this might come off as glory hunting. Still, it's fecking Tampa bay so glory hunting really is stretching it :lol:

It's funny, in football I pretty much despise 90% of the Swedish players while in hockey I cheer for basically all of them*. I think hockey players in general are really decent people and good role models compared to the big brother celebs of today's football.

Anyhow The Lightning will have a very interesting team next year. Depth is a weakness though. Lecavallier, St Louis, Stamkos, Öhlund, Meszaros, Hedman etc.. I think they could make the playoffs next year.

Other teams I'll keep an eye on are the Rangers, Detroit (pretty obvious why) and New Jersey (because of who they just drafted - two of my local teams payers).

* There are exceptions like Huselius, Samuelsson and most who are affiliated with the Swedish club AIK ;)
The Lightning definitely could do something next year with some good coaching. Stamkos and Hedman... :drool: They have a bright future if they run things correctly.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming year. I liked Tom Renney, but there's no denying that he played an entirely unexciting form of hockey. A full year with Tortorella running the show should bring back the excitement to watching hockey that a good amount of our fans seem to have forgotten about.

Alex

So it looks like the Avs are gonna challenge for the Cup next year, right :wenger:

izzydiggler

After seeing him first hand for about 30 games, I was quite disappointed with him. He is a complete hockey player, but seems to be above average at everything and spectacular at nothing. A bit harsh, as he is a really good player and not quite the massive salary I was expecting but still a strange move when your roster has a lot of young talent that will need pay rises (sounds a bit like Pittsburgh....:nervous:).

And he was just horrible in the cup final this year. I thought he must be injured, but it appears not. He was good against Chicago though in the conference final, and must be the reason they've taken the risk.

Iron Stove

Yea, I'll always remember that game he scored 5 against us. He's very dynamic and it'll be interesting to see what he'll do if he manages to stay healthy in an offensive type of system. He didn't really get a chance to showcase that talent with Minnesota really.

What really becomes interesting is who his linemates will be next year. Zherdev seems like the most natural person to play with him in that he's by far the second most dynamic player on the team when he wants to be. He's got a great eye for a pass, but was relied upon too heavily to be a goal scorer for us last year, which is not his strongest role. Only problem is, both are RW's. Would Zherdev be willing to move to LW to play with Gaborik? I'd imagine he would be, but it'll be something to watch out for. I'd imagine Dubinsky would start the year centering that line with his experience playing with another star in Jagr, but I don't think those two would be too compatible really. Anisimov seems like the best option except for the fact that he'll be a rookie. Unless we manage to sign Koivu, the answer's going to have to come from within though, so that should be interesting.
I really hope he can stay healthy. He's a legitimate grade A star in this league when healthy. One of those players that's worth the price of admission alone and it seems like you haven't had one of those since Jagr.

You talk about signing Koivu, but do the Rangers really have any cap space left at this point?

Yea I have a bit of sympathy for him in that regards, but some of his actions on the ice are unforgivable. Two times since the lockout he's been suspended for actions against Rangers players. That's not to discount his numerous other transgressions. I just dislike him. That Betts one in particular was bad. Just a horrible and completely unsportsmanlike hockey play.
Yeah, he's a brute no doubt and I don't really see why the Rangers let Orr go and got this guy instead. Did contract negotiations break down or what? With Orr, Sjöström and possibly Betts (read it somewhere) possibly leaving someone like Brashear is crucial so I can see why they did it. Still, it's strange given the history he has with the Rangers.

Detroit never misses anyone it seems.
True that. They always seem to have great players in the AHL ready to step in. Like Ericsson did last year, I bet Ville Leino becomes the next revelation for them. It's almost absurd.

The Lightning definitely could do something next year with some good coaching. Stamkos and Hedman... :drool: They have a bright future if they run things correctly.
There seems to be something seedy about their management but I hope it won't have too much of an impact. They have some really great players. Stamkos is one of my favourites and I think he has more potential than Tavares. And Hedman is going to be a great defenceman, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

So it looks like the Avs are gonna challenge for the Cup next year, right :wenger:
Seems like you're in complete rebuild mode. That Smyth trade doesn't make any sense whatsoever otherwise. Duchene seems like he could be a real franchise player in the future and even though next year might be a drag you'll have a great chance at getting a top 3 pick next year and someone like Hall in next years draft and BAM you have your new Sakic-Forsberg duo :) Always look on the bright side of life and all that..

Alex

Yeah hopefully they can get things sorted, they should have won more than 2 Cups with the team they had from 95-strike. The ones that hurt the most was 1996-7 when they lost to the Wings in the Conference Finals, and were actually probably the better team that year, and the two years they lost to Dallas in Game 7 both times hitting the post with seconds to go.

Iron Stove

After seeing him first hand for about 30 games, I was quite disappointed with him. He is a complete hockey player, but seems to be above average at everything and spectacular at nothing. A bit harsh, as he is a really good player and not quite the massive salary I was expecting but still a strange move when your roster has a lot of young talent that will need pay rises (sounds a bit like Pittsburgh....:nervous:).

And he was just horrible in the cup final this year. I thought he must be injured, but it appears not. He was good against Chicago though in the conference final, and must be the reason they've taken the risk.
He back checks, he scores a lot of points.. He's a very good player there's no doubt about that, but I get the feeling that he plays for himself more than for the team at times. I used to be a fan of his, but during the playoffs I really felt he came off as a "me first" kind of player. And it didn't work out in Detroit where everyone's supposed to put the team first. He didn't play that well centered by Zetterberg, didn't play that well with Datsyuk.. Maybe he just wasn't a great fit for the Red Wings (or the Penguins as you say playing with Crosby even, although he seems to have faired better there), but especially he wasn't clutch when the going got tough. And I think that's so much more important than regular season stats.

Iron Stove

Yeah hopefully they can get things sorted, they should have won more than 2 Cups with the team they had from 95-strike. The ones that hurt the most was 1996-7 when they lost to the Wings in the Conference Finals, and were actually probably the better team that year, and the two years they lost to Dallas in Game 7 both times hitting the post with seconds to go.
That team you had back in the day was probably the one NHL team I've enjoyed watching more than any other, but don't get too down on the current state of affairs. These things go in circles and I bet you guys will have a great team again, even if it will be hard to top the one you had for a while there.. Sakic, Forsberg, Bourque, Roy.. That was one sick team.

Alex

Yeah hopefully they will get lucky like the Penguins and get high draft picks when their are cant miss prospects.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
My Flames D looks massive now (at least on paper), but who's going to score besides Iggy?