Nhl 2010-2011

Tribec

Let's correct the deal in Edmonton, Smyth for Fraser and a 7th rounder next year....

Though he didn't want to come to us, had we got Keegan Lowe, we could call this weekend the "blast from the past", with new retro jersey, Musil, Simpson drafted, and now Smyth back. Next year a Gretzky and Messeir perhaps??

Iron Stove

I have no idea what Holmgren is doing in Philadelphia... I mean, sure they needed a goalie and I can understand why they traded Carter, but Richards?? Weird as hell. He must really be banking on Couturier and Schenn panning out.

Kings look really good now with Kopitar and Richards down the middle.

The draft was fun. 4 Swedes went top 10, and a total of 28 Swedes drafted. Both new records.

Tribec

The lid shuts on this season today, with the Hall of Fame announcement coming later today. I'm sure that Pat Burns will go into the HOF, but not so sure of who else will get the call on the playing side. I saw on TSN that they've put down Kevin Lowe as a candidate, he's certainly worthy, with 6 cups, but I'm not sure he'll get the call this year, and neither really do I think Lindross will either.

On a darker note, it seems like no one wants to buy Phoenix. I think it's time for Basille to come back and to take the team back north. However, where in Canada is ready? It would take a year or so to get an arena up to scratch, as I can't see Hamilton getting a team ever. What's clear though is that Phoenix is a white elephant franchise and the experiment to populate the US with teams has failed. It needs to look at it's market carefully and research harder if it wants to expand again.

Iron Stove

The way the Blackberry is doing, you'd think Basille might not be able to afford a team anymore.

And even if he could, I doubt the league would let him have one after all his dick moves.

Iron Stove

Yeah, it's weird how he's great at trades, but those albatross contracts.. You'd think the owner should be furious after these buy-outs.

Looks like the Atlantic could be really strong soon with the rebirth of the Rangers, Devils and maybe even the Islanders.

Iron Stove

Holy shit, Ehrhoff got signed to a 40 million 10 year deal by the Sabres. Very front loaded, apparently he's making 10 million next year alone :lol: Imagine seeing 10 million in your bankaccount details.. all those zeroes.

I wonder if the league will let that one go through.

Seems like the both the NBA and NHL might be heading for a lock-out? The NHL would surely profit from that.. wouldn't surprise me though if there was another lockout when the current CBA runs out.

Tribec

Wow, Free-Agency frenzy is the word alright... Talk about changes, the Oilers are looking so much better. We may even make 29th next year.

Zen

Agreed after giving up Anderson straight for Elliot, lol Avs.

nyrfan818

Yeah, it's weird how he's great at trades, but those albatross contracts.. You'd think the owner should be furious after these buy-outs.

Looks like the Atlantic could be really strong soon with the rebirth of the Rangers, Devils and maybe even the Islanders.
Yep, thing is James Dolan is an even worse owner than Sather is a GM. I don't think he really cares what goes on with the Rangers as long as he still makes some money. He's all about the Knicks and finding new ways to destroy them.

Agreed on the Atlantic, it's shaping up to be one of the toughest divisions in the league. Penguins will be great again and you have to expect the Devils will play akin to how they did in the 2nd half of the season last year. Flyers are looking good despite those 2 trades and the Rangers might actually have a real first line that's capable of scoring now. That said, I'm still unhappy about the Richards signing. The Isles seem like they'll still be the worst team (what else is new), but you can never fault their effort. They're never an easy team to play against. I would say they're definitely going in the right direction though.

Must admit, I'm rather excited to see Jagr back in the league even if it's with one of my most hated teams. I've definitely got a soft spot for the guy after he dragged the Rangers back to respectability again. Ah, the good ol' days of the Straka - Nylander - Jagr line...

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
A 1st and 2nd round pick for Varlamov? Christ, that seems really steep
A risky move but he is a young potential franchise goalie with great numbers so far but also plagued by injuries. If he and Giguere can keep fit Avs might be a outsider for playoffs but it will be tight. Handing Washington a lottery pick would be very bitter indeed....

So many trades and signings going on the past weeks wow! October couldn't come any sooner:drool:

Heatley just got traded to Minnesota in exchange for Havlat. Haha wonder how that will work out.

Zen

>Avs >Playoffs 2012

Pick one.

Washington are probably getting a top 5 pick. They keep the better young goalie and rob the Avs, genius trade.....and top that by robbing everyone and getting Vokoun for 1.5m. Now or never for them considering Green and Carlson RFA's next year and Semin UFA.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Caps will blow it again next season anyway, their problem has never really been goaltending in playoffs its the lack of secondary scoring that hurts them. A 35 year old veteran goalie used to no pressure teams with just 11 NHL playoff matches in total won't upgrade them that much. Shut down the hockey version of Cristiano Ronaldo and they are much weaker team.

And I can guarantee that Washington won't get a top 10 pick next summer :smirk:

204Red

Sad state with the loss of 3 NHL enforcers this summer... make you wonder if fighting in the game will come under greater scrutiny.

Iron Stove

Sad state with the loss of 3 NHL enforcers this summer... make you wonder if fighting in the game will come under greater scrutiny.
Something has to be done about this. Less mythical "Old Time Hockey" idealism and more caring for peoples lives.

Zen

Not NHL....but...

Report: Plane crash kills ‘majority’ of KHL team Lokomotiv

Tragedy has struck the hockey world again, this time in Russia and this time on a considerable scale. From Russia Today:

Thirty-four people have died in a Yakovlev Yak-42 passenger plane crash near the city of Yaroslavl in Central Russia. The majority of victims were member of the local ice hockey team Lokomotiv.
The site reports there were 37 passengers and three survivors from the crash, which occurred right after takeoff for a flight to Minsk, where Lokomotiv had a Kontinental Hockey League game scheduled against Dynamo Minsk on Thursday.

SovSport has more:

A terrible tragedy in Russia this morning. A Yak-42 charter plane carrying KHL's Lokomotiv crashed on take off. There were 37 people on board. At this time there are reports of only one survivor. The search and rescue operation is underway.
Witnesses are reporting that the plane was reduced to a pile of charred metal. It is reported that the plane broke off in two and one half fell into water and another one on the ground.

Among the NHL alumni on Lokomotiv's roster as of July 9: Josef Vasicek, Pavol Demitra(notes), Karel Rachunek, Ruslan Salei(notes), Karlis Skrastins(notes) and Red Wings goalie prospect Stefan Liv.

Former Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Brad McCrimmon was listed as their head coach.

We'll bring you more information when it becomes available on this terrible day for hockey.

Tribec

This has been the darkest summer for hockey ever, my thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families of those lost not only in this plane crash, but also the NHLer's lost this summer.