NHL 2016-2017

Tribec

Phew, Overtime winner!!! Total domination in overtime by the Oilers, it was remarkable that it got down to the final 2 minutes of the first period of OT. Out shot them 13-2 in OT, and we had 3 or 4 clear chances to win it. Huge win for the Oilers, moving on to Saturday now and it will be interesting to see how the Sharks pick themselves up after this. They had a huge game on Tuesday tired badly towards the end of this game, which went deep into OT after having a 2 goal cushion.

ArseHat

Great game and win for the Oilers. Absolutely dominated OT and Jones was the only reason the goal came so late. This has been a back and forth series. It feels like the Sharks are on their last versus the younger Oilers, but that home cookin may push this to a deciding game 7.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Really poor OT from the Habs. We should have put the game to bed in the first two periods. Uphill battle now as we need to win at MSG to take it to game 7.

Tribec

Great game and win for the Oilers. Absolutely dominated OT and Jones was the only reason the goal came so late. This has been a back and forth series. It feels like the Sharks are on their last versus the younger Oilers, but that home cookin may push this to a deciding game 7.
As I said it will be interesting to see how they respond, we responded so well to our adversity of the 7-0 defeat, can they pick themselves up off the floor on Saturday. I for one hope not for obvious reasons. It would also mean a game 7, which will put the Ducks at a clear advantage against either of these teams in round 2. I had Jones as the first star tonight, he kept them in it all night. He shut the five hole as well, which is where the Oilers found a weakness in the earlier games. That goal by Klefbom was recorded at 100.5mph, that's impressive in a skills contest, but in a game even more so.

Zen

What dahel was that, worst top seed performance ever......not that I remember them all, but goddamn, it's up there with the WOATness.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Habs vs Rangers has been brutal so far.

very entertaining if you like the big hits, and i think it could still go to game 7.

Don't think either team is good enough to get past Pens though

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'll avoid all hockey related news until the first round is finished I guess, feck me what a depressing week it's been :( Especially with such high expectations and a very good regular season. Only down to ourselves, just not good enough in every aspect of the game.

Ducks v Pens is my early SCF prediction.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'll avoid all hockey related news until the first round is finished I guess, feck me what a depressing week it's been :( Especially with such high expectations and a very good regular season. Only down to ourselves, just not good enough in every aspect of the game.

Ducks v Pens is my early SCF prediction.
Think Nashville will win out west. Rinne has been incredible so far

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Think Nashville will win out west. Rinne has been incredible so far
Yeah true, but they were certainly helped by the fact that we were fecking awful throughout the series. I can see them squeeze past the Blues who are notorious bottlers but I think (and hope) the Ducks will have too much for them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ducks won two games off fluke deflections and two more with the flames beating themselves. Haven't looked particularly good so far imho

stretford_oslo

Habs vs Rangers has been brutal so far.

very entertaining if you like the big hits, and i think it could still go to game 7.

Don't think either team is good enough to get past Pens though
Agreed. I've watched all the matches and Rangers doesn't look impressive at all. Most of their defence is rubbish and key players like Stepan, Kreider and Hayes hasn't shown up at all. It's hard to explain how they've managed to get that 3-2 lead. Shouldn't stand a chance vs Pens.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. I've watched all the matches and Rangers doesn't look impressive at all. Most of their defence is rubbish and key players like Stepan, Kreider and Hayes hasn't shown up at all. It's hard to explain how they've managed to get that 3-2 lead. Shouldn't stand a chance vs Pens.
Because they're playing a team that doesn't know how to kill games off. This entire series the Habs have been very dominant, and Rangers have looked like a good team in 2, maybe 3 periods, yet they lead 3-2. Montreal aren't a team that scores many goals, hence in 2 of the 3 games Rangers have won so far, they've only needed 2 goals to do so. I don't think this goes to game 7.

nyrfan818

Because they're playing a team that doesn't know how to kill games off. This entire series the Habs have been very dominant, and Rangers have looked like a good team in 2, maybe 3 periods, yet they lead 3-2. Montreal aren't a team that scores many goals, hence in 2 of the 3 games Rangers have won so far, they've only needed 2 goals to do so. I don't think this goes to game 7.
This is how the Rangers always play in the playoffs. Typically outplayed, but a combination of Hank and some decent team defense sees them consistently punch above their weight. Don't think either of our teams stands any chance against the Pens, but both the Rangers and Habs would have a fighting chance against the Caps. Assuming they don't leave this series too banged up of course. It's been a rough series.

ArseHat

As I said it will be interesting to see how they respond, we responded so well to our adversity of the 7-0 defeat, can they pick themselves up off the floor on Saturday. I for one hope not for obvious reasons. It would also mean a game 7, which will put the Ducks at a clear advantage against either of these teams in round 2. I had Jones as the first star tonight, he kept them in it all night. He shut the five hole as well, which is where the Oilers found a weakness in the earlier games. That goal by Klefbom was recorded at 100.5mph, that's impressive in a skills contest, but in a game even more so.
Yep, Oilers will want to close this out in 6, if only to give the battered Ducks less time to recuperate (although Fowler and Vatanen are scheduled to return in round 2).
For a second I thought the Sharks would fluke a win once I saw Jones stopping everything in his path, but the Oilers deservedly won. That goal to tie it in the 3rd was a bomb, great play by Desharnais.

Ducks won two games off fluke deflections and two more with the flames beating themselves. Haven't looked particularly good so far imho
Anaheim is/was the better team. It doesn't help when two of your top dmen are out. Elliot will receive the brunt of the criticism for leaking goals, but as they say, if you shoot the puck on net, good things happen. It's the playoffs, you do what you have to do to win games even if it's not pretty.

Yeah true, but they were certainly helped by the fact that we were fecking awful throughout the series. I can see them squeeze past the Blues who are notorious bottlers but I think (and hope) the Ducks will have too much for them.
I believe that Nashville are 2-0 against the Ducks in the playoffs so they somewhat have their number. The West is wide open, but as of this moment, I'd say the Preds are slight favorites to make it out of the West with the Ducks 2nd.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This is how the Rangers always play in the playoffs. Typically outplayed, but a combination of Hank and some decent team defense sees them consistently punch above their weight. Don't think either of our teams stands any chance against the Pens, but both the Rangers and Habs would have a fighting chance against the Caps. Assuming they don't leave this series too banged up of course. It's been a rough series.
Tbh I don't think your defence has been particularly good. Hank has been the single most dominant player this series. It also doesn't help that Pacioretty, while still playing reasonably well, his goals have dried up and we're having to rely on Radulov and a rookie for goals.

None of the 4 teams on this side would stand a chance against the Pens. I'd say whoever prevails between us probably beats the Sens in the second round.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Would love a Leafs - Habs conference finals. Please, hockey gods.

stretford_oslo

Rangers win deservedly to take the series 4-2. Habs offense was close to non existent tonight, even when it mattered the most.

Now Ottawa or Boston next for the Rangers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Curtains on Habs' season. Another season bites the dust. Congrats to the Rangers.

Last edited:

Tribec

Just about recovering from the Oilers game... They certainly know how to push the fans to the total limit. 2 goals early in the second and they sat back and allowed the Sharks back in, which sounds very familiar doesn't it. However, this was near enough 2 periods of backing off and the pressure built up and up. You knew the Sharks were going to score it was the matter of when and how long they'd have to get the next goal to tie the game. 7 minutes of hell to finish off a series for the first time in 11 years. Then to cap it off we give them a cheap penalty to put more pressure on us, and Draisaitl then breaks clear with an empty net. His frigging stick snaps as he shoots the puck for the insurance goal, I've got to say at that moment I felt they were going to pull the second back and force OT and probably game 7. Thankfully not, and we are now going Duck Hunting.

In 2006 we beat the Sharks 4-2, and then went on the play the Ducks and won that one 4-1, I can't imagine it's going to be that this time round, but I'd take it for sure. Going to be a tougher series for the Oilers, but they are now ready for this and hopefully the flu virus that has been in the camp goes and we are healthy as we'll need to be.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oilers/St Louis in the conference final for a chance to be crushed be the Pens.

Pens wins the Stanley Cup. Again.

Tribec

Oilers/St Louis in the conference final for a chance to be crushed be the Pens.

Pens wins the Stanley Cup. Again.
That's if the Pens get past the Caps...

Great opening night to Round 2, a couple of good games, both with comebacks, and neither going to OT. The Oilers had a good game, a few of the players who hadn't shone in the opening round started to spring to life, which is really good. For a team that is supposed to be McDavid alone we've got a lot of players stepping up to the plate whilst McDavid is being watched.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's if the Pens get past the Caps...

Great opening night to Round 2, a couple of good games, both with comebacks, and neither going to OT. The Oilers had a good game, a few of the players who hadn't shone in the opening round started to spring to life, which is really good. For a team that is supposed to be McDavid alone we've got a lot of players stepping up to the plate whilst McDavid is being watched.
Which they probably will.

At the start of the playoffs, I was expecting a Hawks/Pens final. With the Hawks out, it really is a toss up (I hope it's St Louis). I think it's less complicated on the other side. The winner between Caps/Pens likely wins the conference final too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Second period of Caps-Pens was :drool::drool::drool:

And of course, Fleury stole the game for the pens because the Caps ARE cursed

Also, we're getting closer and closer to Erik Karlsson announcing his Godhood the world :lol:

Tribec

Cam Talbot steals yet another win for the Oilers. Being honest, the Oilers were awful. They sat back after going 2-0 up, didn't help with the refs missing so many calls on McDavid and co, we got through it and now go home with a 2 game lead. Need to improve in the next game, but we have done that after poor games in the playoffs so far.

Tribec

Oiler fans were left stunned last night, we didn't win the draft lottery... What's going on??

Was keeping tabs on the Rangers game last night via twitter whilst watching Team GB's gold medal game v Japan in World Championships group 1B...(I wish the IIHF would change the titles of these things). It sounded a crazy game. That's a big loss for them, for sure we'll see what they are made of after that one. The Pens what can you say? I can't see the Caps coming back from this, the brooms could well be out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pens appear to be on cruise control into the conference finals. Take a 2-0 series lead heading home.
At this point I would be shocked if they don't go all the way and win the whole thing again. There doesn't seem to be anyone capable of beating them over 7 games.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This was such a classic caps playoff collapse. Poor goaltending by holtby(and his backup), great goaltending by Fleury, lack of accuracy with the shots, a D-man having a mare, and Crosby being Crosby

Tribec

What a game 3 between the Oilers and Ducks. It's a good old shoot out, the Oilers may lose this game, but as a hockey fan, I'll stand up and applaud both teams.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We're heading for a pens-preds SC finals

Tribec

We're heading for a pens-preds SC finals
The west isn't that clear cut, I may be slightly biased but the Oilers could shock everyone. We stole a win in game 2 playing badly, last night we lost and didn't play well. However, the Ducks flew out of the blocks like the Sharks did in the 7-0 blow out, at 3-0 in the first many were thinking we were heading for something similar, but they found a comeback and though they got beat, showed the character needed to fight back in games. That said they weren't up to speed again, however looking at the game in total last night they could have won it. They coughed up goal 4 at the wrong time, then the 5th came after a wonderful chance to go 4-4. Fine margins between changing the course of the game, but this isn't the side that collapsed 7-0 any more, we are better. If we are learning this quickly, don't write them off if they get past the Ducks.

I'll say this that second period between the Oilers and Ducks last night reminded me of watching the Oilers dynasty team, it was sublime. The whole of Rogers Place was rocking, talking of which take a bow the Oilers fans for taking the US anthem up when the singers mic went down. We know they can do Oh Canada, but they went further last night.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oilers are set for the future but i don't think they're ready yet

Preds have the best group of d-men in the playoffs, rinne is playing out of his mind and their top line is as good as any right now

Tribec

Oilers are set for the future but i don't think they're ready yet
I'm not saying they are "ready" but I wouldn't write them off though. However, the future isn't as clear as some think. Eberle and RNH are both on £6m contracts, Drai and McDavid will soon be coming to the end of there entry contracts and unless we can get both of the later to take a pay cut we are going to be hitting cap problems not that far down the line. Talk among the fans is we let Eberle go, RNH was favourite for a long time early in the season, but his conversion to a 2 way player has helped him.

ArseHat

Well, if recent history is anything to go by, the Ducks will take game 4, eventually go to a game 7, where they will once again choke at the Honda Center.

On game 3, the Wagner goal completely killed the momentum for the Oilers and gave the belief back to Anaheim. Really soft goal to give up for Talbot, but he deserves a pass for his play in this series overall.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Win or lose what a great comeback by the Pens to force OT.

Down 2-0 with under 4:00 to play, they pull the goaltender and score twice within a two-minute span with about 1:00 to play.

Crosby was knocked from the game with a cheap shot.

Tribec

I hope Niskanen doesn't get any additional games for that hit. It looks bad, but was it really that bad? For me, I don't think he intentionally went for him, it just seemed to be something that happened as opposed to a deliberate attempt to nail Crosby. As Crosby is the face of the NHL, and very much flavour of the month with the media, I'm sure that they'll side with the idea of it being a hit, but with his history of concussions, any knocks to the head will lead to this, he's becoming the modern day Lindros.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I hope Niskanen doesn't get any additional games for that hit. It looks bad, but was it really that bad? For me, I don't think he intentionally went for him, it just seemed to be something that happened as opposed to a deliberate attempt to nail Crosby. As Crosby is the face of the NHL, and very much flavour of the month with the media, I'm sure that they'll side with the idea of it being a hit, but with his history of concussions, any knocks to the head will lead to this, he's becoming the modern day Lindros.
They're former teammates, I haven't seen the hit but I doubt he'd hurt him intentionally.