NHL Lockout Season And Playoffs Thread 2013

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I think the lack of effort that went into that OP means it should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Cheers iSparky, I'd take 8 more seasons! Getzlaf has looked annoyingly amazing this season.

The misleading thread title in the other one is driving me crazy. Anyway, since the Avalanche declined many years ago, the Ducks have been my most hated team. Fortunately, the Wings will be moving to the East and we won't have to play these mickey mouse teams in ridiculous time zones.

LoveInTheAsylum

The misleading thread title in the other one is driving me crazy. Anyway, since the Avalanche declined many years ago, the Ducks have been my most hated team. Fortunately, the Wings will be moving to the East and we won't have to play these mickey mouse teams in ridiculous time zones.
Fair enough. What's with the Ducks dislike anyway, is it an actual rivalry, or just a personal thing? And I won't miss the Red Wings from the West; of every fanbase that takes over Glendale, Wings fans seem by far the most annoying. I like the increased playoff chances until expansion & the team gets relocated.

Eboue

Fair enough. What's with the Ducks dislike anyway, is it an actual rivalry, or just a personal thing? And I won't miss the Red Wings from the West; of every fanbase that takes over Glendale, Wings fans seem by far the most annoying. I like the increased playoff chances until expansion & the team gets relocated.
I hated Giguere and his stupid pads that were responsible for the sweep in 2003 and was a big problem in the dead puck era. I hate their "we've been die hards since 2002!" fans. I hate Ryan Getzlaf and his stupid facial hair. I hate how the Ducks constantly take cheap shots after whistles. I hate how Scott Neidermeyer is somehow regarded as a class act. I hate how being victim of a cheap shot from Domi gives Niedermeyer the right to do this . While I was searching for that video, I found this, which is a perfect example of the bs these guys constantly pull after the whistle. Most of all, I hated their fans who were probably the target audience for the "glow puck" nonsense going on about how Paul Korea was going to lead the Mighty Mighty Ducks to the Stan Lee Cup.

Typing this paragraph made me hate them even more. Ugh.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I love your hatred, god I hope the ducks go all the way this year.

LoveInTheAsylum

Ha, that's pretty comprehensive, cheers. I guess knowing shit about the sport and having those films (along with nhl '98 & the winter olympics that year) to thank for getting into it at all, means that the wider annoyances pass me by (I am that target audience).

He'll never be as talented with the puck but Getzlaf is the kind of player I'd love Hanzal to be, so without that specific history it's only really Perry on that current team that I find really annoying. As dumb as fighting in hockey is, I do love everything about this clip:

Pscholes18

Can't stand the Ducks either. I became even more bitter when that shit expansion team won the cup while the Kings were still struggling to make the playoffs year in and year out.

Eboue

The Red Wings - Avalanche rivalry started before the Avalanche even existed. In 1995, Patrick Roy was the Canadiens goaltender. In a game against the Red Wings he gave up 5 goals in the first period. The Canadiens coach left him in the game to give up 4 more in the first ten minutes of the second period. When Roy was finally pulled, he walked over to the GM of the Canadiens, who was sitting behind the bench, and told him that he had played his last game for Montreal. Roy was traded to Colorado and joined up with draft pick Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg, acquired in the Eric Lindros deal, to form the core of the Avalanche.

Meanwhile, the Red Wings were just emerging from a long drought. The Original Six franchise hadn't won a cup since 1955 and were one of the worst teams in the league throughout the 80s. In 1994, the Red Wings won the President's Trophy (for most regular season points) but lost to the 8th seeded San Jose Sharks in only their third year of existence. The next year, the Red Wings again won the President's Trophy and went 12-2 in the first three rounds of the playoffs only to get swept by the Devils and their neutral zone trap.

In the off-season, the Quebec Nordiques moved to Colorado and became the Avalanche. Both the Wings and Avalanche won their division crown and the Red Wings set the NHL record for most wins. They met in the conference finals and Colorado won the series 4-2 and the Stanley Cup over the Florida Panthers. What really set the rivalry off was Claude Lemiuex's hit on Kris Draper in Game 6, one of the dirtiest hits of all time. Lemiuex hit Draper from behind, without the puck, face first into the boards.

Draper had a concussion, broken jaw, broken nose and broken cheekbone. In the locker room after the game, Red Wing Dino Ciccarreli said "I can't believe I shook the guy's frigging hand. That just pisses me right off."

The next season, the Red Wings wanted revenge and they got it.

Skip to 35:21 for the brawl. It started with Forsberg and Igor Larionov fighting. Seeing his opportunity, Draper's linemate Darren McCarty took his opportunity go after Lemiuex, who instead of fighting decided to turtle up. Then you have Patrick Roy coming out to defend Lemiuex and is intercepted in midair by Brendan Shanahan. Shanahan gives way to Mike Vernon, the Red Wings goaltender. Vernon was 4 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than Roy but he ended up taking him down. There were 7 other fights in that game but it ended 6-5 on McCarty's overtime goal (at 2:22:25).

The next year, there was another incident. Still a brawl, but they didn't have to sweep the blood off the ice like they did in 97 so it was more muted. It did have Patrick Roy fighting another Red Wings goaltender, the much smaller Chris Osgood. This is the game I was at.

The Red Wings and the Avalanche (and to a lesser extent the Stars and Devils) dominated this era of hockey. The Wings won 3 Cups (and another in 08) and the Avalanche won 2. Each team had many HoF players. (Roy, Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Blake, Bourque, Chelios, Federov, Hull, Fetisov, Larionov, Murphy, Robitaille, Hasek, Joseph).

The rivalry really ended in 2002. The Avalanche were up 3-2 against the Wings in the conference finals when Patrick Roy did this, like the arrogant prick he is.

The Avalanche wouldn't score in that game and the Statue Of Liberty goal was the winner, sending the series back to Detroit for Game 7. The Wings scored 6 goals in the first 27 minutes to knock out Roy, win 7-0 and move on to the finals where they won another Stanley Cup.

EDogen

Thank you Eboue for that! Great memories and I was holding out for Avalanche back then with Forsberg as my hero when I was younger.

iSparky

What I love about hockey though is there is feck all time to dwell on a loss, the next game is always close by. Of course should you lose the next game then it gets unpleasant.

iSparky

I know the feeling, Im a Ducks fan. Thats why I need to enjoy those good runs they go on when they get them :lol:

EDogen

Penguins are really going all in this year, they have now traded Jarome Iginla from Calgary.

EDogen

Yes, and a great chance for Iginla to win the Stanley Cup!

They have also traded Douglas Murray (San José) and Brenden Morrow (Dallas)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Had to switch off the Hawks/Wings game at 4-0. I couldn't bare any more of that. An absolute hiding. Zetterberg is a big miss when he's not on the ice. Not just the leadership, but he's a real creator of opportunities, which is telling of his excellent assist contribution. Without him up there, Wings looked lost, speculative shots, no real purpose. Attack has to be their best form of defence as well, considering the defence is shocking right now. Kronwall has done well in spells, but Kindl, White and Quincy have been mostly poor.

Tribec

There's a team on the cusp that probably won't make the dance, but hell yeah it's just good to be able to so close and beating your local rivals. The Oilers rebuild still has a way to go but for the first time in ages us Oilers are positive. My worry isn't the coach or team it's the GM that I fear not making the right trades we need to aid the kids.

However a run at the play off's is better a run to win the draft lottery, seeing as we've won that 3 years in a row.

stretford_oslo

Sergei Fedorov made me a Red Wings fan, I still have about 100 trading cards of him in a binder somewhere in my basement along with those magazines that showed the card's value (was it Becket or something?)

Those were the days... unfortunately no one cares about hockey in Norway :(

Tribec

It was such a decent thing of the Oilers to do, don't you all think?

I mean over the past many years, Iginla has been a right royal pain towards us, scoring close to 100 points against us. So unlike his former club, we the Oilers, paid tribute to him over the past two battle of Alberta's.

We scored 12 goals past the Flames, to mark the departure of number 12, classy act are your Oilers.

LoveInTheAsylum

If anyone has the time and inclination, game 5 of the Gagarin Cup Finals is already an epic. Just over 5 minutes left of the 2nd period, Dynamo have just tied it after trailing 3-0 after the first.

Dynamo need one more win to lift the cup (lead 3-1).

EDogen

Rangers have 3-0 against Devils after two periods. A must win game for Devils this if they want to play in the playoff. Would be a huge victory for Rangers also for staying in a good position.

Wittmann45

I was in an argument last night with a buddy. He was saying that no matter who wins the Cup this year, it will be tainted because of the lockout. He was adamant that whoever wins will not be "true champions"

Anybody agree with this?

This was from an Oilers' fan who, when the lockout was coming to an end, was telling me how good RNH and Schulz were doing in the AHL, and how the Oilers were about to return to the promise land with a Cup win this year