NHL Lockout Season And Playoffs Thread 2013

LoveInTheAsylum

I was in an argument last night with a buddy. He was saying that no matter who wins the Cup this year, it will be tainted because of the lockout. He was adamant that whoever wins will not be "true champions"

Anybody agree with this?

This was from an Oilers' fan who, when the lockout was coming to an end, was telling me how good RNH and Schulz were doing in the AHL, and how the Oilers were about to return to the promise land with a Cup win this year
I think the playoff structure makes it like any other season. A shortened regular season obviously doesn't give as true a representation of a team's quality, but overall records always lose significance anyway when the playoffs start & it becomes about momentum.

I'd think the shortened regular season would have intially benefited the more skillful teams, as opposed to those who need to be well drilled from hours of practice to compete. Fitness wise it's obviously more of a crapshoot, but by now I think those things have balanced out. It's not like it's a hugely surprising lineup for the playoffs, so I don't see the case for treating the winners with an asterisk.

Really looking forward to them now, I really enjoyed what I caught of the KHL & EIHL finals & it was good to see Manchester win the Premier League.

Kings over the Capitals.

Zen

If the final is Pens vs Hawks......then yeah, can't call them tainted in the slightest really. Can't call them tainted anyway, NHL is the king of sports for ridiculous teams finding form in the right time(Kings last year...). First rounds are always good in the NHL, never in the NBA.......

Still think more than half your league making the playoffs taints the whole purpose myself, but what can you do.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Tough first game against the Red Wings but it looks like it could be a long yet exciting first round in that respect. Nice to get the start of the first round off with a win some good hitting in the second period too, the powerplay last night for both teams was so crucial and ultimately made the difference.

Ace

Defending champion Kings have been outclassed and bullied in the first two games against the St. Louis Blues. Two young and physical teams that don't like each other has made for a great start to the series, that is when the refs aren't interfering.

Tribec

I was in an argument last night with a buddy. He was saying that no matter who wins the Cup this year, it will be tainted because of the lockout. He was adamant that whoever wins will not be "true champions"

Anybody agree with this?

This was from an Oilers' fan who, when the lockout was coming to an end, was telling me how good RNH and Schulz were doing in the AHL, and how the Oilers were about to return to the promise land with a Cup win this year
The Oilers should have reached the play-off's and I say should have, but yet again failed, this coming from a big Oiler fan. Can't say I'm impressed with them firing Tambo to bring in Crack T again, but let's see what he brings.

I don't think RNH has been fully fit for a while now, this injury that they sent him packing with is a long term thing, Hemsky has been playing with a broken foot since March, so it's no shocker that they eventually missed out. The Oilers need to something that they used to have plenty of, good 3rd and 4th liners. The top line is sorted and in Schultz and Kleftbom have two really good young D-men. Smid is tied up, so the foundation is set, however I can't see us winning another cup till we leave Rexall for our new arena whenever that is built.

Pscholes18

Defending champion Kings have been outclassed and bullied in the first two games against the St. Louis Blues. Two young and physical teams that don't like each other has made for a great start to the series, that is when the refs aren't interfering.
Kings are really taking the piss. Quick is killing himself out there while the rest of the team shows no heart or desire. The third period of game two is when they should of come out and took it to the Blues. Instead the offense goes MIA. Pathetic.

Ace

Game one was fantastic entertainment, game two had far two many silly penalty calls and referee interference. Quick has been the only reason both games have went to the wire.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
forgot to look for this thread.

Leafs are back in the playoffs for the first time in 9 years and game 3 is their first home game of the playoffs. Its going to be electric down at the ACC. Shame that ticket prices are through the roof. Center Ice glass tickets are going from $800-$1000 a seat on stubhub(comparable at 200-300 at American rinks).

I predicted that Boston would win the series 4-2 on the back of their experience and depth - Even though I would obviously love us to advance im A) happy to be in the playoffs B) Happy if we just compete on a game to game basis

Go Leafs Go :D

iSparky

Getzlaf's play has been fantastic, hopefully they can seal the deal in the next game but I expect this one to go to game 7.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
In general douchiness or level of play?
Level of play

Getzlaf's play has been fantastic, hopefully they can seal the deal in the next game but I expect this one to go to game 7.
It's been a very interesting series to watch - the winner will have a tough game with Det facing Chi or Anahiem facing the Blues/kings winner. The west always has the most physical series and the Blues/Kings one has been a war

iSparky

I enjoyed that series to be honest, some great hockey in it. Obviously as a Ducks fan a disappointing end but anyway I fecking hate the Red Wings...

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
I enjoyed that series to be honest, some great hockey in it. Obviously as a Ducks fan a disappointing end but anyway I fecking hate the Red Wings...
You could see the problems in the duck lineups though do even if they advanced they probably weren't going to make it out of the next round.

Souray and Allen are plugs and sbisa looked out of his depth. Fowler was fantastic and the ducks got a steal with him dropping in his draft year. Outside the big 3 (which getzlaf only lived up to the hype) selane had zero impact and their secondary scoring was non existent really. Hiller was excellent and was the only reason the ducks went to game 7.

If I was a ducks can I'd be very disappointed in Corey Perry. Looked like he didn't give a toss and for a 50+ goal scorer on a huge contract that ends with 2 assists that's just not good enough.

Justin

Leafs blowing a 4-1 lead, 2 goals in the last few minutes

Zen

I hope to go the Hawks don't bottle this season against the fecking Red Wings of all teams.....seriously, not them. Goddamnit. Why can't the Red Wings just be shit and miss the playoffs.

Zen

That's not really a reason.....the Oilers have highlight reel stars. -_-

It's because they have an insane scouting system, and good work ethic.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wings 3-1 up now. Excellent! Beating the Ducks and the Hawks in the playoffs would be pretty huge. If they knock the Hawks out, I wouldn't rule them out of going all the way.

Iron Stove

Sad to see the Sens go out, really like their young team. They will only get better though, especially if Karlsson and Spezza can stay healthy next season.

Pens are just so talented and insanely deep.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Wings 3-1 up now. Excellent! Beating the Ducks and the Hawks in the playoffs would be pretty huge. If they knock the Hawks out, I wouldn't rule them out of going all the way.
Well, that went to shit. Blown a 2 game lead. Really should have won on home ice. Looked good for the win too, but 3rd period collapse was costly. Can't see them winning in Chicago again.

Zen

Only the second time this core of Blackhawks has to go to game 7.....so you never know, and I'm not overly confident considering they fell apart last year in a game 6 to stay alive at UC......

Just glad King/Sharks go 7 too, Bruins/Pens should beat each other enough up to even it all up come Stanley Cup.