NHS faces biggest financial crisis 'in a generation'

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Have you ever stayed at an NHS hotel? The rooms are small, the food average, the service non-existent and the prices high.

No, i am not attempting to be satirical. Following what was the particularly gruelling birth of my adorable new niece, we asked the hospital if my sister could be moved to one of the private rooms to recuperate. On the face of things the idea sounds like a good one, but there was a heretofore unknown catch...

£150/night!

We had no choice of course and had to pay, although we didn't realise that in doing so the level of care would decline too. It's such a shame though, as the associated neonatal unit was of a high standard by comparison.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Have you ever stayed at an NHS hotel? The rooms are small, the food average, the service non-existent and the prices high.

No, i am not attempting to be satirical. Following what was the particularly gruelling birth of my adorable new niece, we asked the hospital if my sister could be moved to one of the private rooms to recuperate. On the face of things the idea sounds like a good one, but there was a heretofore unknown catch...

£150/night!

We had no choice of course and had to pay, although we didn't realise that in doing so the level of care would decline too. It's such a shame though, as the associated neonatal unit was of a high standard by comparison.
What hospital is that? My partner will be staying in a private room on NICU at Norfolk and Norwich as our little one has cystic fibrosis and we need to stabilise breastfeeding and creon before we are discharged. There's no associated costs for us.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
This was at Barnet General. She could have gone back to a ward which i presume was free, but we didn't think it unreasonable to ask for a room if (the price came as a shock). As it was she had to wait the better part of a day to be induced,. which went against the concerns expressed previously. Ultimately, it was determined that the baby had to remain in hospital for at least a few days, and my sister was offered a room attached to the neonatal unit at no charge.