Nicolas Pépé

Fosu-Mens

I seem to recall that there were a number of people on here raving about him being top class. No chance the numbers he put up in France would translate.

1v1, sure, really good. As a player in a team trying to break down a balanced defence? No chance.

Unlike Salah, he is not consistent in his technique, nor does he have that extreme acceleration or low gravity that makes him truly dangerous. When the opposition gets close or not selling themselves, he struggles.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
all the times I watch him, he's getting the ball in the right edge of the box and just crossing a terrible ball out of bounds. hopefully he improves because this country can be terrible for an underperforming foreigner

Red00012

I was on the caf the day Arsenal announced him. It was absolute carnage on here.:lol::lol::lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's a button masher. Not even he knows what's going to happen.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He will be alright, I’ve seen enough of him to think there’s a player in there.

Give it a year and everyone will rate him I reckon.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Miss aside, I thought he was probably Arsenal's best outfield player yesterday. I'm not sure that's saying much, though. I think he'll come good.

BlueHaze

Wanted us to sign him but so far he's been terrible. Has pace and seems a good dribbler but end product is disastrous. Maybe with time he'll come good but with the price they got him for they kinda need him to start doing something.

HowieC

Wanted us to sign him but so far he's been terrible. Has pace and seems a good dribbler but end product is disastrous. Maybe with time he'll come good but with the price they got him for they kinda need him to start doing something.
Has been having a slow start but shows the potential to be a top player . Only martial seems better than him on our team in attack

Nickelodeon

His end product is so shocking that he reminds me of Fred every time I watch him play. Watch him for 3-4 seconds and he'll lose the ball one way or the other.

Still early for any conclusions though.

Bwuk

Don't rate him at all.

Biggest waste of 80m ever.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
He has a ridiculous repertoire of tricks - It is way too early to judge this guy and fairly naïve to do so. He should have scored a couple of goals against Sheffield United but he's Arsenal's top chance creator this season by a mile.

By Christmas I expect him to be firing and some of these comments will need to be retracted.

PyroMan

There was a lot of hype around him during the summer after he has a really good season, but it was telling that no team was willing to bite despite his agent talking about teams like Liverpool, Real Madrid and us interested in him.

Arsenal eventually bit, paid a hefty fee and he looks nowhere near justifying the hype around him and the fee. He may come good but I don't think he will be worth the fee Arsenal paid for him. The biggest winner out of all this was his agent and Lille.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford has a goals per game record comparable to Bendtner.
So winger has goals per game comparable to CF, good enough record.

On the other hand, Rashford who played most of his career as winger has better mins per goal record than Bergkamp in PL.

Stacks

So far he has been their new Gervinho.
I said this to an Arsenal fan at work. In Gervinho best season at Lille, his stats were the same as Pepe and less Penalties. He also had more international appearances at the same age and has won best african player in ligue 1 more times than Pepe. Pepe has been taken to African Nations as an unused sub and kept out by Zaha and an Orlando Pirates attacker. £70 million though

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
I said this to an Arsenal fan at work. In Gervinho best season at Lille, his stats were the same as Pepe and less Penalties. He also had more international appearances at the same age and has won best african player in ligue 1 more times than Pepe. Pepe has been taken to African Nations as an unused sub and kept out by Zaha and an Orlando Pirates attacker. £70 million though
From what I have seen - Nicolas Pepe is a far better player than Gervinho.

Pepe didn't set his price tag - I fear all of this criticism will come back to bite

Classical Mechanic

he's Arsenal's top chance creator this season by a mile.
Just going off his key passes per 90 in the PL he has 1.8 per game, which is exactly the same as Saka, Nelson, Torriera and Wilock. When you factor in that he takes all the set-pieces that stat becomes even less impressive.

for xA its

1. Maitland-Niles 1.31
2. Pepe 1.27
3. Chambers 1.25
4. Saka 0.98
5. Kolasinac 0.95

The PL do have him top of big chances created with 3, ahead of Maitland-Niles, Saka, Auba and Sokratis on 2. Only Saka is really comparable there in terms of position and he's played about two thirds of the minutes as Pepe has.

Last edited:

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Pepe's is worse in the EPL. His goal record in France is irrelevant and mostly from the penalty spot meaning he is ONLY effective from 9 yards out with no one blocking his way.
That's quite a statement to make. Pretty sure he's scored some long range efforts

passing-wind

:lol: It's too early to judge him appropriately, I'd give him until the end of the season and the new 2020 season to judge him fairly. It's hard to gauge his impact especially if Arsenal overpaid because he didn't have any european exposure in the UCL. We have seen Lindlelof drastically improve his game in the second season, the only worrying aspect about Pepe is his poor finishing in that respect he comes across as a more astute version of Iwobi but time will tell his influence.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
So winger has goals per game comparable to CF, good enough record.

On the other hand, Rashford who played most of his career as winger has better mins per goal record than Bergkamp in PL.
Bendnter played most of his games on the wing, I think both would have prefered to play centrally. Bergkamp typically played deeper and put up crazy assist numbers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bendnter played most of his games on the wing, I think both would have prefered to play centrally. Bergkamp typically played deeper and put up crazy assist numbers.
No, he played almost all his games as CF.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've had Pepe in my fantasy team since week 1. I have finally given up on him and traded him this week so I now fully expect him to start scoring...

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I actually think his overall play has been pretty good but in front of goal has been a deer in the headlights.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
I really am shocked to see how many people on here still rate the guy. He has been dreadful since coming here. Decision making in the final 3rd makes Traore looks good. Considering the amount they paid for him, he should hit the ground running.