Nicolas Pépé

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don't speak too soon..

Some of the Caf' were talking about how crap a signing Fabinho was for Liverpool after a few months and laughing at the meltdown here.
Very true

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Don't speak too soon..

Some of the Caf' were talking about how crap a signing Fabinho was for Liverpool after a few months and laughing at the meltdown here.
Exactly, there was so many posters taking the piss out of him when even though he was coming from Ligue 1, it was clear as day that he just needed a little time to adapt.
I think Pepe will be a 8-10 goal a season winger which might not be enough when you blow 70M on someone. He will have to raise that number or create enough to not fall in the flop category. He should be given a year and maybe another manager bfore being judged that harshly.

edcunited1878

Too early to judge him, but that's what you get when your transfer fee is that big. He's done some good things, similar to yesterday...good build up, great run from deep, kept himself onside...but when it counts the most, he lets himself down. Same against United when he was alone at the top of the box, goes left footed shot but balloons the shot high and wide.

His shortcomings are pretty funny and entertaining to view though.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
describe exactly how he is better
Just watch him. Gervinho was an absolute donkey. Despite his 'pace' he rarely beat a man, whereas I've seen already this season, Pepe beat dribble players for fun. His end product needs work but that will come.

VJ1762

He will come good. It's his finishing and composure that is letting him down. He dribbled past ' best defender in PL history' VVD ffs.

That said, Daniel James > Pepe.

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
Lacazette, Aubameyang, Pepe, even Ozil, you can't tell me you did not wonder 'Why the hell did they choose Arsenal?!'

You watch both Lacazette and Aubameyang scoring left and right for Lyon and Dortmund, Pepe making a mockery of average teams in France, even Ozil was like the ultimate '10' and they all end up playing for Arsenal.

Normally you would think something is not right, but I think there are things backstage we, the average fans, don't know about. Something about these players that make others stay away from, their work ethic, mentality, I don't know, but there is something.

And there is this 'coziness' factor about Arsenal, they are simply an average club that you know right from the start they are not going to bother you because they don't have it in them, they will win some, lose some and end up 5th, 6th. They offer big contracts and players can mind their own business knowing nobody cares if they end up trophyless.

Bottom line is these players we think they are good, end up (and eventually fall into mediocrity) at Arsenal for a reason. The money is good, expectations are low and you get to live in London. Patrice Evra said their are a bunch of babies, Van Persie confirmed it. Would you see the likes of Lewandowski, Mbappe etc. choosing Arsenal over others at any point? Even if they would top other offers? I personally don't see big time players even thinking of Arsenal as a big club anymore.

Alabaster Codify7

Lacazette, Aubameyang, Pepe, even Ozil, you can't tell me you did not wonder 'Why the hell did they choose Arsenal?!'

You watch both Lacazette and Aubameyang scoring left and right for Lyon and Dortmund, Pepe making a mockery of average teams in France, even Ozil was like the ultimate '10' and they all end up playing for Arsenal.

Normally you would think something is not right, but I think there are things backstage we, the average fans, don't know about. Something about these players that make others stay away from, their work ethic, mentality, I don't know, but there is something.

And there is this 'coziness' factor about Arsenal, they are simply an average club that you know right from the start they are not going to bother you because they don't have it in them, they will win some, lose some and end up 5th, 6th. They offer big contracts and players can mind their own business knowing nobody cares if they end up trophyless.

Bottom line is these players we think they are good, end up (and eventually fall into mediocrity) at Arsenal for a reason. The money is good, expectations are low and you get to live in London. Patrice Evra said their are a bunch of babies, Van Persie confirmed it. Would you see the likes of Lewandowski, Mbappe etc. choosing Arsenal over others at any point? Even if they would top other offers? I personally don't see big time players even thinking of Arsenal as a big club anymore.

It's an interesting take, for sure.

Red00012

Don't speak too soon..

He’s hardly turning out to be the signing of the season either to be fair .

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal

This is slightly misleading. Arsenal will always be a big club purely because of the history and long list of quality players who have played there.

Writing Arsenal off is just like writing Man Utd off just because they aren't at the top of their game due to various circumstance.

Arsenal remains a bigger draw to players than Chelsea who lets be honest, wouldn't have been able to sign some of their players over the years without the financial muscle of Abramovich. They weren't joining Chelsea because of their stature.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's 2019. Not sure that holds anymore. Chelsea are a bigger draw than Arsenal right now and have been for a few years.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Although being in EL ourselves I was hoping for a Vitoria win, but credit where it's due, those were two fantastic goals from Pepe today. And at Sheffield Utd he was imo Arsenal's best player despite missing a sitter. There is definitely quality in that boy.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's 2019. Not sure that holds anymore. Chelsea are a bigger draw than Arsenal right now and have been for a few years.
It is always down to salary, the competitiveness of the club at the time of signing, the location of the club, and the manager. The status or history of the club are irrelevant otherwise Robinho would not sign for Man City back then.

AshRK

Two good goals. The boy has talent no doubt butbhe still has to do a lot to justify his 72m price tag

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Two good goals. The boy has talent no doubt butbhe still has to do a lot to justify his 72m price tag
His finishing and composure are pretty bad so far. I hope he will improve as that has nothing to do with adjusting to the league.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
His finishing and composure are pretty bad so far. I hope he will improve as that has nothing to do with adjusting to the league.
Ronaldo was like that for the first two or three seasons at United, and his finishing was poor. I remember rival fans chanting "You bought the wrong Ronaldo!" I'm not suggesting that Pepe will be another Ronaldo but I think its quite premature to write him off just yet. The boy definitely has quality.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Ronaldo was like that for the first two or three seasons at United, and his finishing was poor. I remember rival fans chanting "You bought the wrong Ronaldo!" I'm not suggesting that Pepe will be another Ronaldo but I think its quite premature to write him off just yet. The boy definitely has quality.
Tbf Pepe came in at 25 years of age.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
He looked a lot better in the Sheffield Utd game, apart from the chance he missed I thought he had a decent game. Glad he has these two goals and hopefully he can kick on now. He was really lacking in confidence so am hoping this is exactly what he needed. Still feel like there is plenty more for him to offer.

Finishing is more down to composure than technical ability imo. I remember when Thierry Henry joined and he couldn't hit a barn yard door, a few years later and the guy was one of the most ruthless finishers in world football. When you have that composure you're not rushing to shoot and you realise and better judge how much time you have to take your shot.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Ronaldo was world class by 21

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He scored 2 goals against a club that is rebuilding (and have a very good manager BTW) and has a shoe string budget. Not exactly a good indicator.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Two free kicks against shit opposition.
Still shit until he does something in the Prem other than miss sitters.
Tbf I think he has only missed the one sitter vs Sheff Utd, but still he was Arsenal's best player in that match. Coutinho missed a similar sitter for Bayern on Tuesday.