Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
This is a bit of a puzzling one for me.

I’d argue that Arsenal don’t really need him, especially compared to other teams - say us...

To me Arsenal are quite well stocked in attack and whilst it does improve them, it’s not a significant improvement on their current resources who can play that position. Yet they pay 80m.

Whilst we are screaming out for a RW/RAM - yet don’t seem to be making any significant waves. I would argue that he would actually improve us and be worth the 80m.
They did not have a natural winger in their entire squad last year. Now they will have a potential world class one on their hands. On top of the return of Neilson and the addition of Martinelli

pascell

Thought I'd clicked the Redcafe in Meltdown Thread 19/20 for a moment there.

People need to chill out, quick enough to point out he's scored 20 or whatever goals, the same people probably were calling Ligue 1 the 'farmers league' a couple of months ago but now he's signing for Arsenal he's the dogs danglies.

Bayern rejected the chance to sign Pepe, that right there suggests to me that they weren't confident enough he'd be top tier. Also, considering they're trying to replace Robben and Ribery, they're desperate for a top class winger, so I think he just isn't as good as his numbers suggest and I'll use Depay as a gauge on this one (bought after great numbers for PSV, poor for United and now back to good numbers for Lyon).

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
£80m? Arsenal? Didn’t see that coming. I’ve never seen him play, but apparently he’s quite good so Arsenal could end up with a very serious attack.

I just hope our owners see this, get envious and decide that maybe it’s not a good idea to rest on the laurels.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Spare a thought for Zaha. His boyhood club offered 40M for him, he agitated for a move and then they paid 80M for Pepe. :lol:
Zaha messed himself up. Since leaving Utd he has been blindly signing every piece of paper put in front of him by Palace, tying himself to long-term contracts without any thought of a buyout clause. Now he will be stuck at Palace for the prime stage of his career.

Judas

Open to offers

People need to chill out, quick enough to point out he's scored 20 or whatever goals, the same people probably were calling Ligue 1 the 'farmers league' a couple of months ago but now he's signing for Arsenal he's the dogs danglies.

Bayern rejected the chance to sign Pepe, that right there suggests to me that they weren't confident enough he'd be top tier. Also, considering they're trying to replace Robben and Ribery, they're desperate for a top class winger, so I think he just isn't as good as his numbers suggest and I'll use Depay as a gauge on this one (bought after great numbers for PSV, poor for United and now back to good numbers for Lyon).
Marvellous point. It's amazing how depending on the situation Ligue 1 gets spoken about on here.

Lee565

Whether pepe comes good or not, though its laughable that other United fans are now slagging the guy off but had he joined us they would be bigging him as one of the best wingers in the world seeing how many United fans have hyped up the likes of Longstaff and Daniel james. The fact that a team under stan Kroenke has shown more ambition than United this summer is alarm bells, they had the balls to spend 72 million on this guy but united wont spend the money to get a quality premier league proven defender in maguire?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

The reports coming out of Germany were that Bayern felt Pepe needed too much space to be effective as a winger. And it's easy to see why they thought that when you watch him play. I don't believe he's a winger in the traditional sense and people seemed to be getting gassed over his goals record which IMO is misleading.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Whether pepe comes good or not, though its laughable that other United fans are now slagging the guy off but had he joined us they would be bigging him as one of the best wingers in the world seeing how many United fans have hyped up the likes of Longstaff and Daniel james. The fact that a team under stan Kroenke has shown more ambition than United this summer is alarm bells, they had the balls to spend 72 million on this guy but united wont spend the money to get a quality premier league proven defender in maguire?
I've been against this signing way before he was even linked to Arsenal.

Andersons Dietician

Is this your first visit to this thread? Have a look through it plenty of people have been mentioning downsides to Pepe since last season. Is anyone really hyping Dan James and Longstaff or is this just more histrionics?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

People can fail at Utd and still be good players. Forget Depay, you've got Zaha who flopped at Utd and is tearing up the league now. Wouldn't hold the performance of any player that flopped at Utd against them. I bet if Depay was brought back he'd be a completely different player to the one he was at Utd.

Godfather

I've been against this signing way before he was even linked to Arsenal.
Is this your first visit to this thread? Have a look through it plenty of people have been mentioning downsides to Pepe since last season. Is anyone really hyping Dan James and Longstaff or is this just more histrionics?
Which is not his point. His point is that a guy like Kroenke shows more ambition on the market than we are. Which is a fair point and very very worrying.

Chairman Steve

Bit disappointed that we weren’t in on this one. One could assume we want Sancho which is a bit crazy from us if that’s even true considering we’re pinning our hopes on one guy and have no alternatives... or worse OGS is happy with what he’s got for right wing? I can’t see Greenwood being there all season no matter how decent he looked in pre season... at some point we’ll have to use Mata and Lingard there to everyone’s chagrin.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Not going to get excited until this is confirmed! Still seems like there is a bit of work to be done to get this over the line. We've been linked for a while now but didn't expect anything to come of it.

Zaha was without doubt their first choice so this is slightly desperate to me, as if to show their fans that they can spend big.
A lot of people I follow have said Pepe, Zaha and Everton were on the list of players we wanted. Everton always seemed third choice but depending on who you listen to Pepe & Zaha were our priorities. Nothing desperate about trying to strengthen in a position where we are weak.

... With a 40 million budget... What is going on?
Rumours are Lille have accepted our £14m per year over 5 years, I mean not really a surprise because despite what social media says most deals are structured like that. Maybe it was a max of £45m can go out this summer, so still leaves us with enough for others.

I’d argue that Arsenal don’t really need him, especially compared to other teams - say us...

To me Arsenal are quite well stocked in attack and whilst it does improve them, it’s not a significant improvement on their current resources who can play that position. Yet they pay 80m.
You didn't watch us much last season if you don't think we were crying out for a wide player. One of our biggest problems last season was lack of creativity and goals from out wide, apart from Lacazette & Auba not a single player scored more than 6 goals for us last season. No creativity from midfield or good wing play last season, have temporarily addressed the CM issue but hopefully we can get Pepe over the line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Which is not his point. His point is that a guy like Kroenke shows more ambition on the market than we are. Which is a fair point and very very worrying.
He also made a point of "United fans slagging him off now he's joining Arsenal" which isn't true.

I'm gonna wait until after the window shuts before I decide if someone like Kroenke is showing more ambition than us.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Fantastic news, a fast winger who can dribble, score and create. Exactly what the attack needed. I’m delighted.

Frank Grimes

When I watched his YouTube highlights a few months back I felt he never seems fully in control of the ball.

Could end up been a great signing for Arsenal but I was never keen on us signing him and apparently United weren't even interested.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The reports coming out of Germany were that Bayern felt Pepe needed too much space to be effective as a winger. And it's easy to see why they thought that when you watch him play. I don't believe he's a winger in the traditional sense and people seemed to be getting gassed over his goal record which IMO is misleading.
Seems similar to Martial in that regard that he is more of an inside forward than a winger, that maybe needs to roam around quite a bit to be effective. Maybe not traditional, but that doesn't mean he can't be a beast? Like Martial if you don't use him correctly then it might be problematic for the team. Positionally he sort of reminds me of Ronaldo in his last couple of years at United though, sort of like a winger transitioning to more central positions especially on the break when attacking. If he can keep up those numbers after an adjustment period he could become great. How can his goal record be misleading? I don't think goals have connotations to anything that can cause a misunderstanding it just means he scored goals, not that people expect him to be a traditional winger. If you have a team that enable him to score goals it is surely a good thing for an attacker to have that in his locker, and I think he'll have that at Arsenal.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was second best scorer after Mbape. 20 goals.

Probably 5 times more goals than all of our wingers combined last season.

We need a prolific scorer.
Looking for much more info. I understood he scored a lot of penalties as well. I am looking for his style of play and how he will fit it.

@JPRouve can you please help mate?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Seems similar to Martial in that regard that he is more of an inside forward than a winger, that maybe needs to roam around quite a bit to be effective. Maybe not traditional, but that doesn't mean he can't be a beast? Like Martial if you don't use him correctly then it might be problematic for the team. Positionally he sort of reminds me of Ronaldo in his last couple of years at United though, sort of like a winger transitioning to more central positions especially on the break when attacking. If he can keep up those numbers after an adjustment period he could become great. How can his goal record be misleading? I don't think goals have connotations to anything that can cause a misunderstanding it just means he scored goals, not that people expect him to be a traditional winger. If you have a team that enable him to score goals it is surely a good thing for an attacker to have that in his locker, and I think he'll have that at Arsenal.
Martial is quite good in tight spaces though

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
When I watched his YouTube highlights a few months back I felt he never seems fully in control of the ball.

Could end up been a great signing for Arsenal but I was never keen on us signing him and apparently United weren't even interested.
Similar dribbling style to Gervinho? Could be very effective but always looked like he was chasing the ball.

I haven't watched Pepe highlights or games so I'm just drawing the comparison based on what you have said.

Frank Grimes

Similar dribbling style to Gervinho? Could be very effective but always looked like he was chasing the ball.

I haven't watched Pepe highlights or games so I'm just drawing the comparison based on what you have said.
That's exactly his playing style that he reminded me of a bit , off the cuff. Though he kept the ball closer to him than Gervinho. It's hard to give any critique on him as a player really though as I've never watched him play a single game. Could be brilliant for all I know.

snowkarl

True but to be honest there are no old style 'wingers' anymore, if you play in a top team you have to be a fairly complete player to be conisdered up top. Even the most 'classic' wingers like Coman at Bayern are better than most other players at cutting inside, dribbling in tight spaces etc.

Pepe, similarly to players like Bernardeschi, Martial, Son etc are the modern forward/winger archetype - fairly complete and good at everything and high g+a outputs.

Very scary to see Arsenal going on an insane spree like this while we're chasing Longstaff for weeks...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Martial is quite good in tight spaces though
I agree he is. I don't think you have to be Messi in tight spaces to be a good player though, he is not bad either. Not so similar to someone like Lukaku for instance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Martial for me is a superior dribbler to Pepe and can operate comortably in tight spaces due to being better on a technical level.

His goal scoring for me is misleading due to him not being the quickest or having good close control whilst dribbling. It's easy to see why Bayern feel he needs space to be effective if German reports are to be believed.

I don't think he'll ever become a 'beast' like you put it. But he could become a effective player for Arsenal with a big goal threat depending on how he's deployed by Emery.

Sancho and Chiesa are far superior players to Pepe on the flanks IMO and should be prioritized even if we have to wait a year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Looking for much more info. I understood he scored a lot of penalties as well. I am looking for his style of play and how he will fit it.

@JPRouve can you please help mate?
He is an inside forward that makes very good off the ball runs which makes him lethal on the counter, he won most of the penalties that he scored(6 out of 9) and 13 goals(excluding penalties) with 11 assists is still a very good record for an inside forward, that's basically what the likes of Neymar or Di Maria are expected to provide.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
£80m? Arsenal? Didn’t see that coming. I’ve never seen him play, but apparently he’s quite good so Arsenal could end up with a very serious attack.

I just hope our owners see this, get envious and decide that maybe it’s not a good idea to rest on the laurels.
I’m assuming you would have taken this lad in our squad as well? He’s not a £72 million player but the market is bat shit crazy and at least from Arsenal pov they signed someone, I just hope we have at least one signing lined up.

hubbuh

I don't think this chap is a £72m player. He isn't as quick as one would think and his dribbling ability from a technical POV isn't very good at all. I'm glad we didn't sign him tbh.

Federido Chiesa is the winger we should go for IMO.
Fantastic news, a fast winger who can dribble, score and create. Exactly what the attack needed. I’m delighted.
Fast or not? Complete waste of space and/or oxygen or not? What'll it be?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its a shame he didn't played in the Championship. We might have been able to afford him.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder

Arsenal sold Gnabry (24) for 5 Mio. € to Werder in 2016. Gnabry was voted as the best Bayern-Player of the Season 2018/2019 by the Fans.

Arsenal is buying Pépé (24) for 80 Mio. € in 2019. Pépé only played UCL with his Playstation so far.

red4ever 79

For those asking what type of player he is I watch quite a bit of the French league. He is left footed but plays on the right. He likes to cut in a lot, great dribbler, direct and fast. Best player in the league outside of PSG.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They should be spending that sort of money on their back line.

Litch

crazy, Arsenal and Spurs have bought the 2 plays I thought would be here. If City buy Harry and Liverpool Burno, I am done....

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
So it means that Ozil might be a very expensive sub for Arsenal next season. Surely Pepe, Auba, Lacazette and Ozil can’t play in one team

Mainoldo

No I get that the point is all that is irrelevant and that is why scouts are sent to games . At a live game you see a players work rate you see what he does off the ball which is as important if not more so than having a good 1st touch .
Your telling me stuff I do not care about. I’m not questioning what scouts do. I’m not a scout. I said his touch is sh!t and I’m sticking to it. If he joins Arsenal and we actually get a chance to watch him more instead of pretending we know everything about me.. then hit me up if I was wrong.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
With this deal and Saliba, Arsenal will actually have spent a pretty penny this window. Fair play.

That said .. absolutely zero improvement to their backline, since Saliba is straight back on loan. Which is outright bizarre.

RyRoc

Martial for me is a superior dribbler to Pepe and can operate comortably in tight spaces due to being better on a technical level.

His goal scoring for me is misleading due to him not being the quickest or having good close control whilst dribbling. It's easy to see why Bayern feel he needs space to be effective if German reports are to be believed.

I don't think he'll ever become a 'beast' like you put it. But he could become a effective player for Arsenal with a big goal threat depending on how he's deployed by Emery.

Sancho and Chiesa are far superior players to Pepe on the flanks IMO and should be prioritized even if we have to wait a year.
You might rate them higher but to say they are far superior at this stage in their careers is a complete exaggeration.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Fast or not? Complete waste of space and/or oxygen or not? What'll it be?
Judging by his highlights he's very quick, and importantly he's very quick when dribbling. Not sure what these comments about his pace are based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.