Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You might rate them higher but to say they are far superior at this stage in their careers is a complete exaggeration.
It depends on how you judge players I guess. For me, I look at attributes like dribbling, first touch, etc to form my opinion. And for our 'right wing' Chiesa and Sancho are far superior IMO if you weighup the technical ability and make a comparison.

dove

I don't think he is worth that much but the most annoying thing is that we see yet another RW joining other teams while we will still play fecking JLingz and Mata...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
With this deal and Saliba, Arsenal will actually have spent a pretty penny this window. Fair play.

That said .. absolutely zero improvement to their backline, since Saliba is straight back on loan. Which is outright bizarre.
Going for pure entertainment factor this season.

Ozil plays a through-ball to PEA, who cuts back from the left, shoots. Goal.

Opposition winger absolutely torches Monreal down the flank with pace, crosses, Mustafi is looking the other way. Free header. Goal.

Pepe storms down the right, plays a one-two with Lacazette and rifles a shot into the corner. Goal.

Xhaka looses the ball on the middle and everyone is caught forward leaving Sokratis to track a runner whilst Mustafi faces the ball carrier. He gets turned, desperately lunges, penalty. Goal.

Ceballos plays Lacazette through and he smashes a shot home. Goal.

Jenkinson's on the right. Goal.

Etc.

Andersons Dietician

Which is not his point. His point is that a guy like Kroenke shows more ambition on the market than we are. Which is a fair point and very very worrying.
Did we or did we not just sign the most expensive fullback in the world ever? The window isn’t even shut yet. Plenty could still happen and we’ve made massive signings over the last few years. People complaint we have no ambition is a little laughable.

Heck we still might sign Maguire for which seems like will be a record fee or close.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’m assuming you would have taken this lad in our squad as well? He’s not a £72 million player but the market is bat shit crazy and at least from Arsenal pov they signed someone, I just hope we have at least one signing lined up.
Not for £80 no, but I think we could absolutely use someone to rotate with Salah and Mane. We are too dependant on them being fit and on form.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal sold Gnabry (24) for 5 Mio. € to Werder in 2016. Gnabry was voted as the best Bayern-Player of the Season 2018/2019 by the Fans.

Arsenal is buying Pépé (24) for 80 Mio. € in 2019. Pépé only played UCL with his Playstation so far.
Gnabry was a huge loss. I was raving about him and Bellerin since I first watched them after they joined us.

But it's a moot point because he wanted to leave.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
With this deal and Saliba, Arsenal will actually have spent a pretty penny this window. Fair play.

That said .. absolutely zero improvement to their backline, since Saliba is straight back on loan. Which is outright bizarre.
We still seem likely to buy Tierney and will be getting both Holding and Bellerin back. So that would be 3/4 starting defenders changed from the group that played the second half of the season.

CB is definitely still a real weakness but I think our starting FBs will be decent, assuming Tierney comes.

Godfather

Did we or did we not just sign the most expensive fullback in the world ever? The window isn’t even shut yet. Plenty could still happen and we’ve made massive signings over the last few years. People complaint we have no ambition is a little laughable.
It really isn't laughable at all. And one and a half signing in an important window like this is a joke. Mentioning it beeing a record fee for a fullback in a market like this doesn't say much at all.
I also don't think "much" will or can happen anymore. Maybe Maguire. Maybe Longstaff. But we badly needed a ready made CM and a right winger and I highly doubt we will get 3 or 4 players in.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
We still seem likely to buy Tierney and will be getting both Holding and Bellerin back. So that would be 3/4 starting defenders changed from the group that played the second half of the season.

CB is definitely still a real weakness but I think our starting FBs will be decent, assuming Tierney comes.
We would be negligent to be relying on Bellerin and Holding so much this season coming off ACL injuries. Ideally they use this season to really find their feet and get confidence in their knees.

Typically it takes two years to get back to your very best after such significant injuries.

SteveW

I'll be delighted if this goes through. One of the mot irritating and overrated footballers I've seen in years. I detest the way he plays football.

Andersons Dietician

It really isn't laughable at all. And one and a half signing in an important window like this is a joke. Mentioning it beeing a record fee for a fullback in a market like this doesn't say much at all.
I also don't think "much" will or can happen anymore. Maybe Maguire. Maybe Longstaff. But we badly needed a ready made CM and a right winger and I highly doubt we will get 3 or 4 players in.
Ok I can phrase it another way, did we or did we not just sign one of the most talented fullbacks in the world?

If teams don’t want to sell and don’t have to sell them it doesn’t mean we aren’t showing ambition. Reports we were never ever in for Pepe. Most likely because we are holding out hope that next year we can move for Sancho. Is that showing a lack of ambition? Of course all hypotheticals and who knows what will happen this season but i’d Rather get the right players in than spend millions on players just because we can.

Personally wasn’t convinced by Pepe but he clearly has talent.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Arsenal to outscore teams with Ozil (if he turns up), Aubameyang, Lacazette, Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Reiss Nelson and Pepe.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No idea how to react to this.

It's how I feel. We wont regret not signing this guy :)
Nah I was just having a proper laugh at your post because I found it funny. Wasn’t having a go at your post at all. Just found it funny as I don’t think often hear someone detesting now a footballer plays :lol:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
So it means that Ozil might be a very expensive sub for Arsenal next season. Surely Pepe, Auba, Lacazette and Ozil can’t play in one team
Ceballos and Pepe's technical style would actually suit Ozil and I can see the three combining well. The players most likely to be frozen out are Iwobi and Guendouzi.

SteveW

Oh right. I thought maybe he made shit snapchats like Lingard.
Haha. Nah,I honestly couldn't care less about players on social media.

Lingard is being scapegoated imo. He's a bit of a silly feck. If I knew him personally he'd probably get on my nerves (like most footballers) but he turned up to preseason fitter than any other player in the squad. He's nothing special but he's an honest player who loves the club and works his arse off. If he was sold I wouldn't lose any sleep but i'm not going to attack him. Our fanbase is full of toxic pricks these days. Not going to be another one of them. Jesse is ok in my book

SteveW

Nah I was just having a proper laugh at your post because I found it funny. Wasn’t having a go at your post at all. Just found it funny as I don’t think often hear someone detesting now a footballer plays :lol:
Its a strong description tbf. :lol:

Watch him turn out t be fuking great now

Jimmy_Bond

You don't have to go back too far in this thread (when the false reports came out that United had agreed personal terms with Pepe) to see comments suggesting that this guy couldn't trap a bag of cement, that he needs far too much space to operate effectively (something he won't be afforded in England) and that he's only had one good season in a farmer's League.

Whilst some of these posts were probably made with very little knowledge of the player, it seems strange that we now have posts making out that Arsenal are signing the new Mo Salah.

With regards to Arsenal, it's important to remember they only finished ahead of us due to a horrific start under Mourinho, and even with our horrific finish, we would have finished above them were it not for Mourinho capitulating in preseason whilst throwing the entire squad under the bus (something that some fans somewhat ridiculously want Ole to do now in order to push through new signings).

With regards to their signings, Ceballos would have happily been sold to Arsenal by Madrid. He's made less impression on their team than someone like McTominay here, and people forget that Madrid were so awful last season they would have finished outside of the top 4 in our league pretty comfortably. The only reason he has not been sold outright is due to his own personal request, but Zidane has never fancied him in either of his reigns at the club. (Although from Manchester, I live here in Spain and follow the big clubs pretty closely through media and also through fan channels, so please don't be fooled into thinking that Arsenal are signing the next big thing here. He's not as good as Ramsey by a significant enough distance, so they are certainly weakened by having lost their best midfielder on a free and replaced him with a reserve team player on loan from a Madrid team in need of a rebuild as drastic as the one needed here).

I can't really comment on Tierney as I've never seen him. What I can predict though is the reaction on here is we were chasing him (farmer's League, mid table signing etc).

This is in no way a defence of the movements United have made so far. Whilst some people don't seem to know the definition of a "slow rebuild (which is rebuilding the team by signing 3-4 players every season until after 3 years or so you're challenging for the top prizes at home and in Europe- still need a couple this window which I think will probably just about happen)," let's not be pointing envious fingers at Arsenal, who are still every bit of a shambles as they have been in recent years.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Haha. Nah,I honestly couldn't care less about players on social media.

Lingard is being scapegoated imo. He's a bit of a silly feck. If I knew him personally he'd probably get on my nerves (like most footballers) but he turned up to preseason fitter than any other player in the squad. He's nothing special but he's an honest player who loves the club and works his arse off. If he was sold I wouldn't lose any sleep but i'm not going to attack him. Our fanbase is full of toxic pricks these days. Not going to be another one of them. Jesse is ok in my book
Yeah I didn’t mean anything by it. That’s the just the kind of thing footballers do that irritate people.

For me it’s when they release memoirs at 24.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's how you do a transfer, swoop in and get it done while the press have linked them to everyone bar you!

Wonder if United could pull off a similar thing. Probably not this summer as we've been linked with everyone

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He looks like the closest thing to Mane I have seen. I would have loved him at Liverpool, but we were never likely to be in for him unless we were selling Salah.

A front three of Lacazette, Aubameyang and Pepe is as good as anything in the league, and Arsenal will certainly score lots of goals. You have got so many problems defensively though, I can see a lot of high scoring games! Its a really exciting signing for Arsenal though if he can produce the form he's shown over the last 18 months.

Bwuk

Really don’t see how they can fit Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Ozil and Ceballos in the same team.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Rotation. Many teams do that. After a while the best combination emerges and becomes the more regular line-up.
Emery will probably keep on rotating even if we find the best combination. He feels that if you rotate people think that you're a cool, tactical coach.

PoTMS

Will be really annoyed if he does a Mane. Linked with him all summer with many turning their nose up at him and then he joins our rivals and tears the place up.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Will be really annoyed if he does a Mane. Linked with him all summer with many turning their nose up at him and then he joins our rivals and tears the place up.
You believe every link? We'd have a squad of 100 if they were all true.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We've brought in one first teamer that will improve is exponentially, and another that will improve the squad, while we lost our second best midfielder. Arsenal have lost their best midfielder and will lose their best defender, while adding two players, one of which will be returning to Madrid at the end of the season.
So what? He's still there this season. It's all opinion at the end of the day and I'd say they've had the better window so far. You think they haven't. That's fine.

Hawks2008

Guys this was never happening, our clearly very smart and totally not braindead decision makers surely knew that to be successful you must neglect a position for a nearly a decade. The right wing doesn't matter you fools, we should keep letting this massive whole in our team continue to exist. Have fun Arsenal you idiots!!!! Don't you know a Right Winger is a very bad unimportant position you crayon eaters!!! I am glad we are ignoring this spot again and a top four rival is wasting time signing a definitely not useful player for a very redundant part of the team :lol::D

Status
Not open for further replies.