Nicolas Pepe - Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't think there are any bids for Pepe - hence the continued statements from the president about these big bids.

He's not rated by any team as being good enough to command a 60m plus fee. He's worth about 30-40m but Lille are trying it on massively to get stupid money in a stupid market.

Mainoldo

Still not convinced and everytime I watch him for Ivory Cost he has a touch worthy of Lukaku. However I might be wrong.

Nialinho

Ole all but confirmed we would sign a replacement if Lukaku were to leave which is looking fairly likely. Considering Mata/Lingard will be playing in the no. 10 role, the emergence of Greenwood and the fact we can't flog Alexis, a right sided forward would surely be at the top of our list. In terms of numbers, Pepe is the best young (ish) RW in the world. He might not have the natural talent of Sancho but he can certainly find the back of the net and at 24 he's not reached his peak. If Sancho isn't on the cards, is there any better options?

In all likelihood we'll buy Maguire and that'll be it but yeah.. :wenger:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've been sceptical of this one all along (in terms of the lads ability), seems like since Dembele left Rennes every year since there's been the next Dembele, last year it was Malcolm for example - touted as the next big thing with everyone wanting him and in the end ok went to Barca but only to pad out their squad

Axle17

From what you see on YouTube, his ball-handling skills look legit for a tall fella. But that's only YouTube. Anyone that watches french football know more about him?

If it means a potential RW for the next 5-6 years, then why not? He's only 24.

Last edited by a moderator:

Litch

I've been sceptical of this one all along (in terms of the lads ability), seems like since Dembele left Rennes every year since there's been the next Dembele, last year it was Malcolm for example - touted as the next big thing with everyone wanting him and in the end ok went to Barca but only to pad out their squad
In fairness padding out Barca's squad means a lot more than most.....

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing is Malcom was all about potential, he didn't do anything special in Ligue 1 and has never been close to Dembélé. The issue is that too many people talk about players that they have basically never seen.

Litch

The thing is Malcom was all about potential, he didn't do anything special in Ligue 1 and has never been close to Dembélé. The issue is that too many people talk about players that they have basically never seen.
Yep I could produce a highlight reel of Jones and Smalling that would make anyone who hadn't seen them question why we need a CB....

JPRouve

Scout
Never scored over 20 goals though did he.
Obertan was bad in France. It's basically like comparing Son Heung-Min and Chris Eagles.

Last edited:

Hubal

Never scored over 20 goals though did he.
9 of Pepe's goals in the league were penalties. Still think he's a fraud and his agent realizes that so they are very eager to leave Lille ASAP

Nigel Refalo

People that say Pepe has a similar first touch like Lukaku clearly haven't watched him closely for Lille last season.

Welbeckham

I hope there’s nothing in it. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be one bit worried or jealous if one our rivals signed him.

Infra-red

Not convinced tbh
He's not a great player. He would be quite suited to the counterattacking style we're likely to employ in games vs the other top 6 or 7 sides, but less so against sides who sit deep against us. He needs a lot of space to operate.

Sounds like his agent and his club are keen to secure a move this summer, but I don't think we'll bite at the kind of prices being quoted.

kirk buttercup

I hope there’s nothing in it. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be one bit worried or jealous if one our rivals signed him.
Prefer to give Greenwood time out on the right and James Martial and Rashford rotating across the front 3 too . Dm is more important imo

StrettyEnder07

I would be shocked if we took a punt on a winger with one good season in France for that amount of money.

If (huge if) Maguire, Bruno and a new DMC do arrive, I can't see us having the money for another big player this summer, I personally think the Bruno hold us is that we might be using the Lukaku funds on him.

Assuming Pogba stays, I can't see Ole playing Pogba/Bruno in a 3 man midfield as we would be exposed quite a bit so I can see him playing the diamond quite a bit with Bruno as a 10, Pogba on the left then McTominay and either Fred/Longstaff or a new DMC playing with him to beef it up and give us some defensive cover.

Rash/Greenwood/Martial even Sanchez being able to play up top, think we could see this quite a bit this season before Pogba goes next summer, Sancho maybe comes in and we could revert back to 433.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think we're interested anyway, seems like agent talk.

It's pretty clear we've targeted Sancho for next summer IMO.

Between Martial/Rashford/Lingard/James/Greenwood/Sanchez/Chong we have enough bodies to fill those roles until next year.

(yes the quality is lacking but i'd rather not have a quick fix for less)

JPRouve

Scout
I would be shocked if we took a punt on a winger with one good season in France for that amount of money.

If (huge if) Maguire, Bruno and a new DMC do arrive, I can't see us having the money for another big player this summer, I personally think the Bruno hold us is that we might be using the Lukaku funds on him.

Assuming Pogba stays, I can't see Ole playing Pogba/Bruno in a 3 man midfield as we would be exposed quite a bit so I can see him playing the diamond quite a bit with Bruno as a 10, Pogba on the left then McTominay and either Fred/Longstaff or a new DMC playing with him to beef it up and give us some defensive cover.

Rash/Greenwood/Martial even Sanchez being able to play up top, think we could see this quite a bit this season before Pogba goes next summer, Sancho maybe comes in and we could revert back to 433.
He had three good seasons in Ligue 1, not one.

JPRouve

Scout
Has he? Can't say I follow the French league only this season have seen his name mentioned anywhere.
Yes he did and the second sentence makes your comment strange, you don't follow the league but make statements on players from that league. It's not against you but isn't it best to not comment?

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Watched some youtube videos.... swear hes Bolasie with a left peg! Identical style of dribbling

StrettyEnder07

Yes he did and the second sentence makes your comment strange, you don't follow the league but make statements on players from that league. It's not against you but isn't it best to not comment?
I think 90% of the people on here don't follow the French league regarding league games and see most of the players in European competition. Also, it is a forum a discussion thread, were not sat in the white house or the house or lords, calm yourself down.

I don't sit and watch league games in Italy or Spain or Germany, so am I not allowed to comments on any players or links with any players from their countries?

My opinion is paying 70M for a player who had a stellar season this season, 13 goals last year and a whole 3 in 11 the season before (thought you said he had 3 good seasons, not sure 3 in 11 qualifies?), comes as a big risk for someone who plays in a pretty weak league.

You don't like my opinion or don't think I should comment, here's a thought, don't comment on it.

R'hllor

:lol: what?

He's clearly a good player.
I didnt mean scam like he is cousin of some famous player.

I dont know anything about him, never watched him in my life. Agent pushing stories about interests for his client is normal but there is something fishy/shady about whole thing, its a feeling, nothing based on knowledge.

JPRouve

Scout
I think 90% of the people on here don't follow the French league regarding league games and see most of the players in European competition. Also, it is a forum a discussion thread, were not sat in the white house or the house or lords, calm yourself down.

I don't sit and watch league games in Italy or Spain or Germany, so am I not allowed to comments on any players or links with any players from their countries?

My opinion is paying 70M for a player who had a stellar season this season, 13 goals last year and a whole 3 in 11 the season before (thought you said he had 3 good seasons, not sure 3 in 11 qualifies?), comes as a big risk for someone who plays in a pretty weak league.

You don't like my opinion or don't think I should comment, here's a thought, don't comment on it.
Like I said it's not against you and I'm perfectly calm. It's just that if you don't follow a league and don't know a player, it undermines the point that you are making.

Now, 13 goals is a lot, particularly when we are talking about a player that was in a disfunctional team and mainly played out of position. During his first season in Ligue 1, he was good and learning the ropes, he showed promises which is why Lyon and Monaco tried to sign.

Raw stats won't tell you everything about a player and it obviously works both ways. As for risks, the simple mention of 80m in the press is crazy.

StrettyEnder07

Like I said it's not against you and I'm perfectly calm. It's just that if you don't follow a league and don't know a player, it undermines the point that you are making.

Now, 13 goals is a lot, particularly when we are talking about a player that was in a disfunctional team and mainly played out of position. During his first season in Ligue 1, he was good and learning the ropes, he showed promises which is why Lyon and Monaco tried to sign.

Raw stats won't tell you everything about a player and it obviously works both ways. As for risks, the simple mention of 80m in the press is crazy.
Mate half of the players United are linked with people have seen them maybe once or twice in the UCL, unless you watch the leagues religiously which I personally don't.

UCL & Premier League plus sometimes the Classico, Munich v Dortmund, Milan derby, that is pretty much your lot, half the players we are linked with have hardly seen play or a handful of times but you have your opinions, listen to the "experts" on social media and have a look at stats and opinions of them to gauge your take on them.

Never said Pepe is not a cracking player, think have seen him once against PSG and he played well, what I am saying is that 70/80M quid is a hell of a lot of money to spend on someone who has only done it in the French league, which although is getting better, is still quite a bit behind the top leagues, massive risk IMO

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I didnt mean scam like he is cousin of some famous player.

I dont know anything about him, never watched him in my life. Agent pushing stories about interests for his client is normal but there is something fishy/shady about whole thing, its a feeling, nothing based on knowledge.
I don't believe anything of us bidding 70m, that's clearly made up. Their chairman keeps saying he will be sold this summer and lots of clubs want him. The most obvious way of trying to drum up interest.

He is a great athlete with good skill and can carry the ball well at speed. His technique isn't always perfect and is quite raw in places.

People seem to think he might struggle in tighter space with less time so I think that's why clubs are hesitant.

TsuWave

Never watched this guy play, please tell me he has a decent first touch and is technically sound

JPRouve

Scout
Mate half of the players United are linked with people have seen them maybe once or twice in the UCL, unless you watch the leagues religiously which I personally don't.

UCL & Premier League plus sometimes the Classico, Munich v Dortmund, Milan derby, that is pretty much your lot, half the players we are linked with have hardly seen play or a handful of times but you have your opinions, listen to the "experts" on social media and have a look at stats and opinions of them to gauge your take on them.

Never said Pepe is not a cracking player, think have seen him once against PSG and he played well, what I am saying is that 70/80M quid is a hell of a lot of money to spend on someone who has only done it in the French league, which although is getting better, is still quite a bit behind the top leagues, massive risk IMO
Which is fine and we don't have to comment on every players as if we knew them when we don't. Your post and the response that you gave are an example of why, you made the claim that he only had one good season and then responded that you don't follow the league, it makes no sense.

Look, it's not a big deal let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.