Nigeria kit sells out in three hours

Skåre Willoch

It is great, but not just kit, more like a whole collection (tracksuits also). Seem more like a cultural statement as someone mentioned.

Nike nailed it imo
Wow, didn't see the tracksuits until now. Those are awesome!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The use of Nigerian prince in the email scams by quite a lot of the time non Nigerian plays on the generalisation and stereotype of Nigerians being scammers and corrupt.
Its not hard to see why a Nigerian would find it offensive ffs
Oh comeon, it originated from people who probably never visited Nigeria let alone are citizens of it (else they know there is no prince) who scam people who have no idea about the country. There are plenty of scams around from the 'you were involved in a car accident' scam who kept calling my phone every frigging week to one from 'Microsoft' who call to help you 'get rid' of a virus.

Even Family guy laugh at it

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Oh comeon, it originated from people who probably never visited Nigeria let alone are citizens of it (else they know there is no prince) who scam people who have no idea about the country. There are plenty of scams around from the you had a car accident scam who kept calling my phone every frigging week to one from 'Microsoft' who call to help you 'get rid' of a virus.

Even Family guy laugh at it

Isn't that my point.

On the part about the prince, there are many

Not sure why Family guy laughing at it means it isn't offensive

Oyibo

Yes the 419 scam is notorious in Nigeria, but there are scams all over the world by many nationalities.

Some people find the use of the word "Prince" amusing. Well there are thousands of kings and Oba's of the many regions that make up Nigeria's 200 Million population. So, what happens if a king has a son ? that's right, he has a Prince. In fact its a popular first name.

The outcome of 419 notoriety is a lack of trust in business, which means genuine people will find it more difficult to do business regarding payment terms etc.

Likewise, it can hinder people getting visas, due to this bad perception that some posters are making fun of.

So just like any country that has a "chequered past" its people don't necessarily want reminding over and over again of the actions of a minority %.

As an outsider within Nigeria, I know where Cassidy etc were coming from.

So perhaps next time, people can respect another's stance if they say they are offended ?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Unfortunately that is true, a chunk of the population have a low purchasing power, no thanks to the devaluing of the local frequency.
Actually I’ve read that Nigeria is a pretty decent nation infrastructure wise but the world just thinks of them as another “poor African country”.

I have heard Nigeria is a bit like India that they may look poor in areas/on the outside but the government has money

devilish

Isn't that my point.

On the part about the prince, there are many
So why take it at heart? It was a joke meant to laugh at morons who comment about Nigerian issues and culture despite having absolutely no idea about the country. These people are more likely to fall at the Nigerian prince scam.

On a lighter note God forbid if we banned every old poster who called me malteser likening citizens of an entire country to sweets, else we wouldn't have any veteran posters around anymore

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes the 419 scam is notorious in Nigeria, but there are scams all over the world by many nationalities.

Some people find the use of the word "Prince" amusing. Well there are thousands of kings and Oba's of the many regions that make up Nigeria's 200 Million population. So, what happens if a king has a son ? that's right, he has a Prince. In fact its a popular first name.

The outcome of 419 notoriety is a lack of trust in business, which means genuine people will find it more difficult to do business regarding payment terms etc.

Likewise, it can hinder people getting visas, due to this bad perception that some posters are making fun of.

So just like any country that has a "chequered past" its people don't necessarily want reminding over and over again of the actions of a minority %.

So perhaps next time, people can respect another's stance if they say they are offended ?
Isn't this more than likely that the scammers choose Nigeria. If you tell someone you're a Dutch prince you are either Willem Alexander or you're lying. If there's thousands of princes in Nigeria, that seems like a more probable back story innit.

To keep it on topic. The kit looks a bit like the 1988 Holland kit, which was the only draw back of that tournament from our perspective. Ugly as balls.

(no offense to any balls in this topic)

devilish

Oh I apologise if my post on redcafe will hinder the average Nigerian chance of getting a visa to any country around the world. I never thought to be that important.

Cassidy

So why take it at heart? It was a joke meant to laugh at morons who comment about Nigerian issues and culture despite having absolutely no idea about the country. These people are more likely to fall at the Nigerian prince scam.

On a lighter note God forbid if we banned every old poster who called me malteser likening citizens of an entire country to sweets, else we wouldn't have any veteran posters around anymore
Who said I did?
You obviously missread the joke, the fact that you say Nigeria doesn't have a Prince just show this.
I haven't made any comment about anyone being banned. Someone made a comment to say Nigerians wouldn't be offended, so as a Nigerian I corrected them simple as.

Cassidy

Oh I apologise if my post on redcafe will hinder the average Nigerian chance of getting a visa to any country around the world. I never thought to be that important.
:rolleyes: I really don't understand why people get so defensive when someone explains to them why something can be offensive. Anyway moving on.

devilish

Who said I did?
You obviously missread the joke, the fact that you say Nigeria doesn't have a Prince just show this.
I haven't made any comment about anyone being banned. Someone made a comment to say Nigerians wouldn't be offended, so as a Nigerian I corrected them simple as.
Some areas or tribes might have a king (or an OBA) that doesn't mean there is actually a Prince of Nigeria. Jeez its a joke

Cassidy

Some areas or tribes might have a king (or an OBA) that doesn't mean there is actually a Prince of Nigeria. Jeez its a joke
A Nigerian prince, not prince of Nigeria is what was used in the joke.

devilish

:rolleyes: I really don't understand why people get so defensive when someone explains to them why something can be offensive. Anyway moving on.
I don't get defensive at silly comments.

Cassidy

Anyway lets not derail the thread further, its boring

devilish

A Nigerian prince, not prince of Nigeria is what was used in the joke.
Still its an Oba not a King. Its like calling a king of England an Oba which is not. Or isn't it not offensive to westernise titles?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t like that kit.

The reason it sold out so quickly is because Nike did their job for a change rather than using the same standard template for every team.

Wish England would be a bit more adventurous. White kit every year, change between a collar and V-neck every 2 years, claim it’s a new kit. Don’t know how Nike get away with it.
Differences in tastes and preferences, basically?

Oyibo

Well back to the original post, I don't like the kit, so bought a more subtle green Nigeria polo shirt, to show my support to my hosting country.

Cassidy

Still its an Oba not a King. Its like calling a king of England an Oba which is not. Or isn't it not offensive to westernise titles?
Oba is the Yoruba term for ruler (not all of Nigeria is Yoruba), and their sons are princes. Its not a westernised title, if you don't know something then leave it alone, no point trying to educate a Yoruba person about their own country.

devilish

Oba is the Yoruba term for ruler (not all of Nigeria is Yoruba), and their sons are princes. Its not a westernised title, if you don't know something then leave it alone, no point trying to educate a Yoruba person about their own country.
So I guess they are called princes of Yoruba right?

I won't dare teaching Nigerians about Nigeria but it seems that some Nigerians can learn a thing or two about sense of humour

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As soon as I saw the thread title I just knew it would descend into some sort of racism-related argument.

Anyway, I like the shirt.

Cassidy

So I guess they are called princes of Yoruba right?

I won't dare teaching Nigerians about Nigeria but it seems that some Nigerians can learn a thing or two about sense of humour
No the other tribes also have them its just a different term to Oba.

:rolleyes: you have a right to find it funny, I have a right to be offended. The fact someone finding something offensive rubs you up the wrong way says a lot about you.

devilish

:rolleyes: you have a right to find it funny, I have a right to be offended. The fact someone finding something offensive rubs you up the wrong way says a lot about you.
Yep I have a weak spot towards silliness. This sort of nitpicking is the reason why people are doing away with political correctness as a whole.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've gotta say: it's a shite looking jersey.

Love Nigerian football teams as whole though. Very entertaining to watch.

Gbenger

Let him be. It’s always the same excuse people like him put up: it’s funny, I find it funny, lighten up, why can’t you a take a joke, political correctness is ruining everything, and so on...

Then they get all defensive and accuse you of going on the offensive. Those who are used to making derogatory jokes like that almost always find it difficult to understand why it might be offensive to others, or they know that it offends people but they don’t care all the same.

If they were at the receiving end, I bet things would be a lot different. The problem is that on the CAF there are always people who keep on trying to define or draw the lines on what’s offensive or not for other people.

Last edited:

E-mal

You do know that there are no nigerian prince and that the scammers are probably not even nigerian? Oh wait, i received a call from microsoft telling me to buy 6 shirts to get rid of a pc virus i have. Is that anti american?
The first response to my intoduction in the newbie introduction thread was some dude making a joke about me scamming him because am from that part of the world. Is offesnsive when perhaps people just make stereotypes about you without even knowing you even though quite alot is done in good humor.
I am sure you meant no harm, but you must understand.

Gbenger

All the Nigerians in the world could say they find such jokes offensive and stereotypical but you would have people here who are not the victims of the joke saying otherwise.

The level of scrutiny against offensive statements here is somehow dependent on the people at the receiving end. I do wonder what would happen if a stereotypical and offensive joke about a particular European nation or its people in particular was said here.