Nikola Milenkovic

SparkedIntoLife

Jose Mourinho was at the Serbia vs. Montenegro game earlier. The view is that he was scouting someone.

Milinkovic-Savic only came on late as a sub and by most accounts is very overrated. Unless we sell Pogba, I can’t see us needing him.

Looking through the players who were on the pitch, the only one who makes sense to me is Nikola Milenkovic, the 20 year old Fiorentina defender.

I don’t know him well but I hear he’s a top prospect. He’s 6 foot 5 and is naturally a centre back but has mostly played at right back this season. He scored a cracking goal earlier this season. I’m aware that he impressed at the World Cup but don’t really remember him too well.

Could this be someone we’re in for in January? Or is there someone else Mourinho might have been looking at? Is Milenkovic any good?

Ekeke

He's a decent young defender but I wouldnt imagine he has the "quality on the ball" Mourinho was talking about in the past. He'd be another of the same type we have.

L1nk

It makes sense if it's a scouting missions for January, because there's no way we'd get Milinkovic-Savic then. So it's most likely the case because he is a good talent, that pleases me because we should be targetting these kinds of players regardless of who's the manager anyway

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There was a story in the press a couple of days ago that Jose would be going to the match for the specific purpose of scouting that young defender.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Mcking

Or maybe he was actually watching Mitrovic - I hope.
Here's some videos for Nikola Milenkovic but didn't watch them tbh

Fracture90

I've never seen him play but given his size, how is his mobility and pace?
He's quite lanky but weighs around 80 ish something kg's so he's pretty mobile, a bit like Smalling, tho unlike Smalling I think he'll grow into his big frame eventually. He's only 20, so we won't see his full physical potential before few years have passed. Juventus has had their eye fixed on him for 2 years now, so he gotta be doing something right.

Micky Targaryen

Enough of this "quality on the ball" crap, or that we "need" a left sided/footed defender nonsense, or we need someone to play from the back. Just give me a pure all-out batshit crazy serial killer defender like Vidic!! I miss you Nemanja. :(

Ekeke

Enough of this "quality on the ball" crap, or that we "need" a left sided/footed defender nonsense, or we need someone to play from the back. Just give me a pure all-out batshit crazy serial killer defender like Vidic!! I miss you Nemanja. :(
I'd be happy with that, but Mourinho must have been reading the transfer forum in the summer because he's clearly looking for someone with that "quality on the ball". So unless he goes, thats the kind of CB we can be expecting. And why Lindelof might get picked more than he should

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Watched Milenković vs. Romania today and he was arguably Serbia's Man of the Match after Mitrović — commanding display from start to finish and really sealed the backdoor with Veljković. Interestingly, Serbia haven't conceded a goal with him in the starting XI since the 2-0 loss to Brazil in the World Cup (drew 2-2 with Romania when Spajić started instead of him), though to be fair the opposition wasn't that strong and he wasn't pushed to his limits (including Montenegro and Lithuania).
I've never seen him play but given his size, how is his mobility and pace?
Reasonably good. Not quite as mobile as Smalling for defenders in the same height range, but I don't think Milenković will get beaten for pace very easily unless he's against up an exceptionally agile and explosive attacker or his positioning/coordination is all over the place or there's a miscommunication wrt. covering responsibility. Starting as a fullback for Fiorentina is a bonus because that'll help him diversify his playing style and re-calibrate his game against attackers with abrupt turn of pace — which might be better for his overall development as a defender in the long haul.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Vidic wasn’t total crap on the ball and he didnt just hoof away posession when it wasnt needed

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Wouldn’t you be best just going all in for Hernandez and/or Giminez at Athletico? Both young but very experienced at the top end of the CL and Domestic leagues. Hernandez has an 80 million release clause as well. He’s got to be worth it.

iamkiranks

Nah..not another young CB unless we sell at least 2 of the current lot and bring in an experienced one.

Mcking

Lol Ruben Dias

Web of Bissaka

Vidic was total crap on the ball and he didnt just hoof away posession when it wasnt needed
Seems we remember differently.

Vidic's quality on the ball is not that bad.
-Solid passing, rarely give the ball away, he'll release it quickly whether it's clearing it safely, pass back for VDS to clear or give it to team mates quickly. Nothing flashy or technically brilliant about it, he gets the job done and he knows what he's doing.
-At times, he'll deliver a strong forward passes - more obvious when he breakthrough to the starting 11 and this eventually gets rarer in later SAF years, as we play more the zombie passing at the back.

Tbf, he's not that good at building-up, but not a waste or passenger either. He helps moves the ball around at the back, recycle left to right to left efficiently.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seems we remember differently.

Vidic's quality on the ball is not that bad.
-Solid passing, rarely give the ball away, he'll release it quickly whether it's clearing it safely, pass back for VDS to clear or give it to team mates quickly. Nothing flashy or technically brilliant about it, he gets the job done and he knows what he's doing.
-At times, he'll deliver a strong forward passes - more obvious when he breakthrough to the starting 11 and this eventually gets rarer in later SAF years, as we play more the zombie passing at the back.

Tbf, he's not that good at building-up, but not a waste or passenger either. He helps moves the ball around at the back, recycle left to right to left efficiently.
My reply was supposed to read wasn’t rather than was. I agree Vidic was decent on the ball

lysglimt

Scout
It's probably still 12-18 months too soon - but Celtics Kristoffer Ajer could soon be a player good enough for us. He has played striker for most of his career so he is good on the ball, tall (6'5) and reads the ball really well. He just needs a bit more muscle - but he has improved a lot in that department since joining Celtic. He has played just 6 times for Norway and already he look like a leader - and after the first match .. no doubt, he was a regular. And he is only 20.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Another serb central back attracting interest around after Nastasic and Savic…. Corvino love his eastern scouting thing.

izec

Would take him immediately over Lindelöf, he isnt a fanny and is good with headers. Dont care how good he is on the ball, makes him an upgrade on our Swedish imposter back there.

68Guns

If Jose was at a game scouting then hes wasted his time as he wont be here in January anyway. The club won't be giving him any more cash to spunk up the wall.
His spending so far has been abysmal, Lukaku, Pogba, Lindeloff and Fred are total sh1te.

sam147

If Jose was at a game scouting then hes wasted his time as he wont be here in January anyway. The club won't be giving him any more cash to spunk up the wall.
His spending so far has been abysmal, Lukaku, Pogba, Lindeloff and Fred are total sh1te.
The fact you think Pogba is 'sh1te' says everything anyone needs to know about the capacity your brain has for footballing knowledge. Lindelof is still young. Fred hasn't even been here for a full season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Jose Mourinho was at the Serbia vs. Montenegro game earlier. The view is that he was scouting someone.

Milinkovic-Savic only came on late as a sub and by most accounts is very overrated. Unless we sell Pogba, I can’t see us needing him.

Looking through the players who were on the pitch, the only one who makes sense to me is Nikola Milenkovic, the 20 year old Fiorentina defender.

I don’t know him well but I hear he’s a top prospect. He’s 6 foot 5 and is naturally a centre back but has mostly played at right back this season. He scored a cracking goal earlier this season. I’m aware that he impressed at the World Cup but don’t really remember him too well.

Could this be someone we’re in for in January? Or is there someone else Mourinho might have been looking at? Is Milenkovic any good?
Not many here will say he's a great player unless he is already in his prime, plays for a big team, and will cost 100m+

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He seems like another aggressive CB and we already have three of those (Bailly, Rojo, Jones) as of right now would only make sense next to Lindelof.

El-Manos

Your post is sh1te