Nikola Milenkovic

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looks good with the ball at his feet and that's something that seems to be talked about, but how is his actual passing? Being good at the first doesn't necessarily mean his passing is particularly good. For instance I'd say Bailly is good with the ball at his feet, but his passing is quite inconsistent.
His passing is very good if played as a CB imo. He's currently playing as a RB for his club which skews his passing stats but for his NT his pass completion is at 89% which is quite impressive for a CB I'd say.

The young Ajax CB De Ligt who is lauded by many as being a good passer of the ball from the back, averages 90% in the Eredivisie in Holland.

MrBest

If we are to sign a CB has to be De Ligt or a experienced player. Need someone who can come in and take ownership of a place asap. Not really seen Nikola properly (just youtube) but the comments dont really fill me with great confidence from those that have seen him. Then again anyone is better than Mike.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His passing is very good if played as a CB imo. He's currently playing as a RB for his club which skews his passing stats but for his NT his pass completion is at 89% which is quite impressive for a CB I'd say.

The young Ajax CB De Ligt who is lauded by many as being a good passer of the ball from the back, averages 90% in the Eredivisie in Holland.
Passing percentages don't mean too much, it's more what they actually do with it. For instance, Smalling normally has the highest passing percentage of our defenders because he just plays simple balls. Obviously having a low completion rate would be an issue though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Passing percentages don't mean too much, it's more what they actually do with it. For instance, Smalling normally has the highest passing percentage of our defenders because he just plays simple balls. Obviously having a low completion rate would be an issue though.
His passing is very good, and especially the ball over the top,which I've seen him attempt a number of times whilst bringing the ball out from the back.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You just said you arent doing that
Discussing what an ex pro and the Serbian media said about Milenkovic in comparison to Vidic shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing, should it? Some of our fans seem to get defensive in such discussions which is disappointing. Comparisons of this nature are inevitable given the back grounds of the respective players.

Devil may care

I'd certainly much prefer this lad to fecking Cahill or Boateng. If we jettison Bailly, Rojo and Jones in January and bring in Skriniar and Milenkovic I think it would be seen as fairly successful window by the club and manager, as the buys are ones that can benefit the next manager as well.

cheeky_backheel

I'd certainly much prefer this lad to fecking Cahill or Boateng. If we jettison Bailly, Rojo and Jones in January and bring in Skriniar and Milenkovic I think it would be seen as fairly successful window by the club and manager, as the buys are ones that can benefit the next manager as well.
These guys will not come cheap and doubt they will address the needed leadership and organization

sam147

He might become a top CB but we need instant quality. For me we should try to sign Koulibaly in January. Ship off Jones, Rojo and maybe Smalling in the summer. And keep Tuanzebe as a back up alongside Lindelof and Bailly. Milenkovic should be looked at if either Lindelof or Bailly fail to perform with Koulibaly alongside them because there's no excuse about leadership or quality.

cheeky_backheel

He might become a top CB but we need instant quality. For me we should try to sign Koulibaly in January. Ship off Jones, Rojo and maybe Smalling in the summer. And keep Tuanzebe as a back up alongside Lindelof and Bailly. Milenkovic should be looked at if either Lindelof or Bailly fail to perform with Koulibaly alongside them because there's no excuse about leadership or quality.
and have you seen koulibaly leading and organizing a defence?

sam147

and have you seen koulibaly leading and organizing a defence?
Yes I have, multiple times. He is one of the best defenders on the planet. You think he can't organise Allan infront of him and Rui next to him? Nonsensical thinking.

cheeky_backheel

Yes I have, multiple times. He is one of the best defenders on the planet. You think he can't organise Allan infront of him and Rui next to him? Nonsensical thinking.
Please list in which teams he has been the defensive leader and the one organizing the defence.

This has less to do with individual quality but an understanding of the game and the quality to get other defenders to follow your guidance

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Let me guess, many people here watch Fiorentina regulary and know everything about this guy?

Last edited:

sam147

Please list in which teams he has been the defensive leader and the one organizing the defence.

This has less to do with individual quality but an understanding of the game and the quality to get other defenders to follow your guidance
His current team. N A P O L I. And quality does play into it. Having a top quality defender next to Bailly and jones would fill them with confidence compared to Smalling. If not Koulibaly which leader is available? Alderweireld? Who doesnt look anywhere near as good as he did previously.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Let me guess, many people here watch Fiorentina regulary and now everything about this guy?
I don't think anyones claimed that, but I have seen a fair amount of games he's been involved in for club and country.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I don't think anyones claimed that, but I have seen a fair amount of games he's been involved in for club and country.
Our fans watch United all the time and can't separate which of our players is good and which one isn't, so I wouldn't believe anyone who says he knows something about some Fiorentina player. Sorry.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Our fans watch United all the time and can't separate which of our players is good and which one isn't, so I wouldn't believe anyone who says he knows something about some Fiorentina player. Sorry.
That's understandable buddy..

Mcking

What is your definition of a defensive leader? How do you recognise one?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I like defenders who stay on their feet. It's one thing I don't like about Bailly. Otamendi is another example.
Tbf, from the video (which is admittedly only a few minutes), it looks like he stays on his feet when he can (though tackles with his "wrong foot" at times?) BUT slides in when he thinks he needs to.

Whats good from the video (again, I get it's a highlights reel) is whichever way he tackles, he seems to get the ball and calmly. Also, when he slides, he takes the ball and the man a la Pearce.

(PS. Any Italian based players seen him play??)

Last edited:

Red_toad

There is some weird hype about this one, if he is smart, he will stay away from us, actually think he should take steps best for his development instead of making weird jumps.
So he should avoid signing for a massive club that would very likely have a role in the starting 11 for him, for the good of his career? That doesn't make sense. I could understand joining United when we had Vidic and Rio in their prime, but certainly not now.

Red_toad

De Ligt looks a natural leader at 19.
How do you recognise it, they read situations and organise those around them to deal with it. Terry was exceptional at this (but still a cnut of a person), no wonder Jose loved him so much.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
So he is world class cuz he's been linked to Utd.

But will be classified not good enough when he extends his current contract.

R'hllor

So he should avoid signing for a massive club that would very likely have a role in the starting 11 for him, for the good of his career? That doesn't make sense. I could understand joining United when we had Vidic and Rio in their prime, but certainly not now.
Doubt that, so yea he should stay clear from United at the moment.

cheeky_backheel

His current team. N A P O L I. And quality does play into it. Having a top quality defender next to Bailly and jones would fill them with confidence compared to Smalling. If not Koulibaly which leader is available? Alderweireld? Who doesnt look anywhere near as good as he did previously.
Wrong - Albiol is the defensive leader for Napoli or why do you think the 33yrs old is starting ahead of younger more athletic and individually better defenders. Last season, after 26 games, napoli had conceded only 8 goals in 20 games keeping 13 clean sheets with Albiol but without Albiol, they conceded 7 goals in 8 games with only 1 clean sheet. (FYI Alderweireld is a much better individual defender than Albiol).

Bailly, Jones and Smalling do not lack in confidence. Bailly just needs a calmer head to guide and reign him in, while Jones are Smalling are simply not that good. Lindelof lacked confidence due to the initial challenge of playing for a big club in a top league, but even he has gained more confidence in recent weeks. Adding Koulibaly will not change the confidence level of these defenders nor would an increase in confidence fix their shortcomings. At best Koulibaly would help to clean up their mistakes, similar to what DDG does.

Whether its Alderweireld or someone else, a defensive leader will likely improve our overall defense more than an individual contributor like Koulibaly would. After all, it is not like our defenders are losing a lot more 1v1 battles than average, but that our defence is not coordinated e.g. when shaw on left side plays Silva on-side at the far side, or when Lindelof and Herrera leave their man to close down on the same ball. Koulibaly is not going to carry shaw to the correct position, in fact his expectation that shaw would do the right thing might make it worse.

The need for a defensive leader surpasses the need for a great individual defender, cos that great defender cannot play all 4 positions in the backline simultaneously and would instead be overworked cleaning up after them. A defensive leader on the other hand would make the group function as a unit, help guide and correct mistakes on the pitch, and, reduce instances of blunders like uneven line or confusion over assignment. Even off the pitch a defensive leader remains quite valuable in developing younger defenders.

I have not see Koulibaly exhibit the needed traits and we should not gamble 100m hoping he would develop them when he gets here. If we buy Koulibaly, it should be purely for his individual contribution, which I dont think is worth 100m, particularly if you have a defensively sound coach like Mourinho.

cheeky_backheel

He is the guy that understands the game and gets the backline functioning as one. In most cases they rely more on positioning than athleticism to win possession (though the truly great ones excel at both). When he is absent, the quality of the defence seems to drop significantly more than the missing individual quality.

On the pitch, you can see them communicating and directing other defenders and GK e.g. marking assignment, correcting mistakes, drawing attention to potential threats etc. A clear example is seen with VVD or Kompany

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It does when he actually knows how to improve them.
Exactly. Weird and surprising how people still downplay the role of manager when it's so obvious and right infront our eyes, especially in last 1 or 2 seasons in PL.

Ekeke

He is the guy that understands the game and gets the backline functioning as one. In most cases they rely more on positioning than athleticism to win possession (though the truly great ones excel at both). When he is absent, the quality of the defence seems to drop significantly more than the missing individual quality.

On the pitch, you can see them communicating and directing other defenders and GK e.g. marking assignment, correcting mistakes, drawing attention to potential threats etc. A clear example is seen with VVD or Kompany
Smalling does all this. The thing is just having a player try to get people to do what they are supposed to doesnt mean it works, or that they are listened to. A new player could come in, take up great positions and bark orders at the other players and they are still out of position and making mistakes. The manager can take those players out of the team, or sign someone to replace them. A CB cannot.

Ekeke

I mean, Smalling always has high pass completion so that doesn't necessarily tell you that someone is a good passer. You can at least factor in how many passes a player makes per match but that still doesn't say everything about the topic. Regardless for Serbia in the nations league he averages 66.4 passes, 3rd most of his team. De Ligt averages 72 passes per game which is the highest amount of his team with the same accuracy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
so who was the unknown player that has been turned into a star by this manager?

Do not mistake the benefits of playing with high quality players with individual development.
Do not make arguments you can't back up.

Who said he took unknown players? Or is that you making up shit to construct a weak response?

cheeky_backheel

Smalling does all this. The thing is just having a player try to get people to do what they are supposed to doesnt mean it works, or that they are listened to. A new player could come in, take up great positions and bark orders at the other players and they are still out of position and making mistakes. The manager can take those players out of the team, or sign someone to replace them. A CB cannot.
Smalling himself doesnt know the right thing to do and thus cant guide others.

Part of being a leader is having the ability to get others to follow your guidance and instructions. This often requires you command the respect of others.

It is reasonable to assume that each player is acting to the best of their abilities and thus poor actions are due to poor judgement. Then such a player will comply with guidance from another who he accepts has superior knowledge, but would likely ignore someone he does not trust his judgement. If players ignore smalling, its likely cos they dont accept his guidance as being superior.

cheeky_backheel

Do not make arguments you can't back up.

Who said he took unknown players? Or is that you making up shit to construct a weak response?
Its a valid question cos you cannot make a case for a manager improving players if all the players that he has 'improved' were already of a high quality.

Two cases that counter your claim are Jesus and Sane, as they were less proven when acquired but neither has shown any trace of stepping up to a higher level and instead seem to have fallen in the pecking order with acquisition of better developed alternatives.

When you play with better players, you tend to look better than when playing with lesser ones e.g. see lukaku with belgium where he has superior players like Hazard to take attention away from him, a luxury he doesnt get with the club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I mean, Smalling always has high pass completion so that doesn't necessarily tell you that someone is a good passer. You can at least factor in how many passes a player makes per match but that still doesn't say everything about the topic. Regardless for Serbia in the nations league he averages 66.4 passes, 3rd most of his team. De Ligt averages 72 passes per game which is the highest amount of his team with the same accuracy.
De Ligt plays in a team which likes to dominate possession hence why he averages more. The Dutch style with building from the back and keeping possession gives the CB's a platform to play which i've always admired. The numbers you posted don't surprise me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Its a valid question cos you cannot make a case for a manager improving players if all the players that he has 'improved' were already of a high quality.

Two cases that counter your claim are Jesus and Sane, as they were less proven when acquired but neither has shown any trace of stepping up to a higher level and instead seem to have fallen in the pecking order with acquisition of better developed alternatives.

When you play with better players, you tend to look better than when playing with lesser ones e.g. see lukaku with belgium where he has superior players like Hazard to take attention away from him, a luxury he doesnt get with the club.
That would be the case if you've been watching a team that's not Manchester City and pretending it's them. Sane, Jesus, Sterling and Stones are all players who nobody expected to reach the level they did last season (record breaking league title level). In fact, sod just the young ones. He improved most individuals in that team to lead them to produce team peformances that would go down as one of the best in English league football. Not to mention the improvement in the 'team' aspect.

That you're actually bothering to waste time disputing Guardiola's impact on that team shows up your lack of perspective anyway. Having a talented squad doesn't mean you can't improve them.

Ekeke

Smalling himself doesnt know the right thing to do and thus cant guide others.

Part of being a leader is having the ability to get others to follow your guidance and instructions. This often requires you command the respect of others.

It is reasonable to assume that each player is acting to the best of their abilities and thus poor actions are due to poor judgement. Then such a player will comply with guidance from another who he accepts has superior knowledge, but would likely ignore someone he does not trust his judgement. If players ignore smalling, its likely cos they dont accept his guidance as being superior.
No, you don't know what a CB is supposed to do therefore you assume Smalling doesnt.

Players who arent trained well enough on the training pitch to do their job arent going to be saved by a CB telling them to do something. Its not practiced, its not in their muscle memory, they arent good at it and its going to fail. A CB can only call on things they already know from the correct tactics, training and organization. They cannot fix anything the players dont already know.

The manager can fix the organization, tactics, players, etc because the buck stops with them. A CB can ask, or tell but when the players around them still fail all they can really do is try to cover those players. Thats what Smalling does. He moves into many positions to cover our players being in the wrong position and rarely do other players react and cover his position. People who dont understand that defending is a team issue and that each time a CB covers someone else's mistake, someone has to come over and cover their position will blame Smalling because he's no longer where they would expect a CB to be. To them its a case of a CB standing in the middle of their own box all game. But thats not how it works in professional football. Positions are dynamic and if your fullback is out of position someone has to come across and confront the player who would otherwise have 20 yards to himself. Thats good play, not bad play. Bad play is when the rest of the team don't cover for that CB moving to cover someone else's like he does for them.

cheeky_backheel

That would be the case if you've been watching a team that's not Manchester City and pretending it's them. Sane, Jesus, Sterling and Stones are all players who nobody expected to reach the level they did last season (record breaking league title level). In fact, sod just the young ones. He improved most individuals in that team to lead them to produce team peformances that would go down as one of the best in English league football. Not to mention the improvement in the 'team' aspect.

That you're actually bothering to waste time disputing Guardiola's impact on that team shows up your lack of perspective anyway. Having a talented squad doesn't mean you can't improve them.
There is nothing spectacular about the development of those players.

- Stones was a starting CB for Everton and a regular form the NT before joing City. He was desirable enough to Mourinho two season earlier that he fell out with Chelsea board over him. Pep simply does not develop defenders and is evident in how much he has spent in recruiting his backline, including Laporte, Walker and Mendy. That backline is four of the most expensive PL defenders.

- Sane you claim has reach unexpected levels due to development under Guardiola but same manager saw it fit to spend 60m on Mahrez and drop Sane to the bench. The more likely truth is that Guardiola himself recognized the limitations of Sane and decided to get a better quality player to replace him. The claimed record breaking level was not enough to get him on the WC squad

- Jesus was initially brought in to replace Aguero cos Pep was not satisfied with Kun, but despite his 'record breaking' development he has been relegated in the pecking order behind Kun. Now Pep is singing a different tune on how Aguero can help jesus succeed him.

- Sterling is the only one you can make a case for but he is more of an exception than the norm and thus cannot be used to conclude that Guardiola develops players.

What Guardiola is good at is that he has a clear system of play he expects of his team and buys players that are well suited to it. Thus, when given the needed resources, he is able to get the best out of his system while getting the best out of his players. It is unlikely for a player that excels in Guardiola's system to perform better out of it. That is simply a fit between system and player and should not be misconstrued for individual player development. The latter can be carried over to other teams while the former cannot.

Guardiola deserves credit but you are giving credit for the wrong reason.