Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Well clearly not a huge amount of people share that idea of having a portable PS3 and the same games so their missus can watch the xfactor.

Be cheaper to just buy a second tv ;)
That's not really the point. It's just more comfortable for me. The whole Vita's games are ports/crap is just not true is all I'm saying. And lots of the ports are great on the Vita.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That's not really the point. It's just more comfortable for me. The whole Vita's games are ports/crap is just not true is all I'm saying. And lots of the ports are great on the Vita.
I was obviously messing around.

And no not all the ports are crap at all, but they are pretty much straight ports of superior games I already own, which is the main reason I have yet to even be tempted by the Vita. That and the price.

Kaos

Those of you who are saying that nintendo handhelds are 'all Mario' obviously haven't dug deep enough. There's a goldmine of gems out there if you know where to look. I like the 3DS and couldn't care for any of the Mario games.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ports aren't bad anyway. With a good cross-play implemented it might become a huge success, you could play a big franchise like CoD or GTA at home and then continue to play a simplified version of it on the go when you leave home. It's just that there aren't enough titles for it - there are 5-7 games with no real promising announcements apart from Assassins Creed. Developers don't like Vita. Sony need to move their arses and try to release inFamous, something like Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo and all the other huge exclusives for it to get it going.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Western developers don't like handhelds more like. It's not exclusive to Vita.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472361

^ not bad for a device that's not a year old though. Then there are also the PSP titles (although pricing is a bit dodgy), minis, this new ps mobile thingy where the real cheap ones are... If people can't find enough interesting titles that are already out or coming in the near future, then I don't know what to say really. You all sound like you're playing games 24/7 and want new titles every couple of days.

It's funny every now and again someone pops in with the "Vita has no games" bollocks. Well, just as I have almost no interest in the current 3ds games, doesn't mean it has literally no games now, does it?

Sony need to move their arses and try to release inFamous, something like Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo and all the other huge exclusives for it to get it going.
They should set up their best studios to support Vita (not with the games you've listed exactly) but with the new generation consoles right around the corner, I don't think they have the capacity. Also it's Sony. They try their best to sabotage themselves.

Redlambs

Western developers don't like handhelds more like. It's not exclusive to Vita.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472361

^ not bad for a device that's not a year old though. Then there are also the PSP titles (although pricing is a bit dodgy), minis, this new ps mobile thingy where the real cheap ones are... If people can't find enough interesting titles that are already out or coming in the near future, then I don't know what to say really. You all sound like you're playing games 24/7 and want new titles every couple of days.

It's funny every now and again someone pops in with the "Vita has no games" bollocks. Well, just as I have almost no interest in the current 3ds games, doesn't mean it has literally no games now, does it?
For the large part I agree, however for the price of these rehashed games plus the extreme price of the machine itself, you can see why it's not selling.

There just aren't enough selling points to justify the purchase in most eyes, especially since damn near everyone has a DS/3DS.

WeasteDevil

You can buy a WiFi version for £140 in Poland these day, it needs to go down below £100 to be seriously competitive unless it simply gets a bettet library of games at one point. Something like portable GTA5 would take its sales through the roof.
I think that it was €90 just for the 32GB memory card. Those 4GB and even up to the 16GB ones are useless to me. I've not had the thing for a week and I have around 9GB on the card already.

Redlambs

Isn't it one of the major selling points of the Wii U, that you can carry on doing what you were doing when someone wants to use the TV?
Well that comment was a joke. But since you want to look at it that way, buying one machine and one copy of the game has got to be preferable to buying two machines and two copies of the game? ;)

WeasteDevil

Well that comment was a joke. But since you want to look at it that way, buying one machine and one copy of the game has got to be preferable to buying two machines and two copies of the game? ;)
Yeah, but Sony are trying to do this thing where you buy the PS3 version and get the VITA version free. There is also remote play if they can sort it out properly, which I suppose will be fully done on PS4. You can't take a Wii U controller on the bus. Can you even take it into a different room?

Redlambs

Yeah, but Sony are trying to do this thing where you buy the PS3 version and get the VITA version free. There is also remote play if they can sort it out properly, which I suppose will be fully done on PS4. You can't take a Wii U controller on the bus. Can you even take it into a different room?
Why are you trying to compare chalk and cheese over a joke comment?

For the record though, that still means you have to buy two machines with the PS3/4 and Vita. Though again, no idea why you are trying to compare.

Out of interest though, do you think people will take interest in the whole handheld as a controller thing? It might work with the Wii-U as obviously the games will be specifically tailored, but realistically it has been gimmicky in the past. I remember trying it a handful of times with the Gamecube/GBA and it never really appealed.

WeasteDevil

Why are you trying to compare chalk and cheese over a joke comment?

For the record though, that still means you have to buy two machines with the PS3/4 and Vita. Though again, no idea why you are trying to compare.

Out of interest though, do you think people will take interest in the whole handheld as a controller thing? It might work with the Wii-U as obviously the games will be specifically tailored, but realistically it has been gimmicky in the past. I remember trying it a handful of times with the Gamecube/GBA and it never really appealed.
Having to buy a VITA just for it would be IMO way over the top for most people as the price is too high - it's a nice option. I know that both Sony and Microsoft are also doing this with smartphones and tablets, but the limited input options with those makes it pointless IMO. Even VITA has some issues with the lack of the clickable sticks and the rear touchpad having to be used to replace the analogue L2 and R2.

Sarni

I think that it was €90 just for the 32GB memory card. Those 4GB and even up to the 16GB ones are useless to me. I've not had the thing for a week and I have around 9GB on the card already.
I have a 4GB one because I don't have anything on it. I don't buy digital games as they're the same price as physical copies and I can't sell them once I've completed it/got bored, I store my music on the Rhapsody on iPhone and watch my movies on iOS's Netflix/VLC.

WeasteDevil

I've no interest in physical games anymore, I want to download them, and I never sell them on in any case. Downloadable games, even if the same price as retail versions (and retail software is going to disappear) is still cheaper. If I want to buy a game I can simply do so with a few clicks, no need to get the car out, burn petrol, waste time, and clutter up my shelves with boxes.

Sarni

I've no interest in physical games anymore, I want to download them, and I never sell them on in any case. Downloadable games, even if the same price as retail versions (and retail software is going to disappear) is still cheaper. If I want to buy a game I can simply do so with a few clicks, no need to get the car out, burn petrol, waste time, and clutter up my shelves with boxes.
I guess it's a difference of opinions then. I prefer to have a box etc., and I often sell games when I've completed them. I also don't think retail software will disappear. FIFA is 40 PLN more expensive downloadable than physical here, there's no way you'll spend that much on petrol to buy it in a store that's a few minutes away.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
To be fair, you can buy from amazon and the like for free delivery. I also prefer physical software as well, as has been said you can trade in or sell on if bored

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Those of you who are saying that nintendo handhelds are 'all Mario' obviously haven't dug deep enough. There's a goldmine of gems out there if you know where to look. I like the 3DS and couldn't care for any of the Mario games.
Agreed (well, except for the bit about not liking any Mario games ;)), it seems like it's just an easy thing for people to say to dismiss Nintendo's systems (and their games).

Count Orduck

A flagship Pokémon game for the 3DS would've been nice.
Yeh, that was weird as feck. Every Nintendo handheld prior to that has had an exclusive Pokémon "generation" associated with it, that wouldn't work on the older machines:
Generation I (Red, Blue & Yellow) - Gameboy
Generation II (Gold, Silver & Crystal) - Gameboy Color
Generation III (Sapphire, Ruby & Emerald; Fire Red & Leaf Green) - Gameboy Advance
Generation IV (Pearl, Diamond & Platinum; Heart Gold & Soul Silver) - DS

And so, they announce the 3DS, and at the same time announce the next Pokémon generation (V - Black & White), and yet... when Black & White are released they're for the regular DS, not the 3DS.

I found that really odd. Totally broke with tradition, and for no real reason.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Seeing Bravely Default top the Japanese chart I thought I'd ask if anyone else has an interest in any games that are only released in Japan so far?

I'd like to see Bravely Default come over since it looks pretty cool, but I really want Fantasy Life to get released here.

Sarni

Yeh, that was weird as feck. Every Nintendo handheld prior to that has had an exclusive Pokémon "generation" associated with it, that wouldn't work on the older machines:
Generation I (Red, Blue & Yellow) - Gameboy
Generation II (Gold, Silver & Crystal) - Gameboy Color
Generation III (Sapphire, Ruby & Emerald; Fire Red & Leaf Green) - Gameboy Advance
Generation IV (Pearl, Diamond & Platinum; Heart Gold & Soul Silver) - DS

And so, they announce the 3DS, and at the same time announce the next Pokémon generation (V - Black & White), and yet... when Black & White are released they're for the regular DS, not the 3DS.

I found that really odd. Totally broke with tradition, and for no real reason.
They'll probably come up with a 3DS Pokemon title at one point but due to rather underwhelming sales they decided to release it for a system that already has 150 million users worldwide and can be played on a 3DS.

Havak

Pokemon master
^ Yep. Although, I would imagine 3DS sales would have rocketed if Black & White were 3DS games in the first place. I'd just guess that they want to spend more time developing the first 3DS main series Pokemon games.

I picked up Black 2 and White 2 on release. I know most people will jump on the nostalgia bandwagon and say the originals were the best, but as someone who has bought every Pokemon game and has some kind of involvement in the video games most days due to it being my main 'competitive' game of choice, I have to say feck no. Black 2 and White 2 are the best Pokemon games.

Count Orduck

Not played Black and White 2 yet... I've actually got Black unopened on my shelf! I'm definitely going to get it one day, but I'm still occupying myself with Soul Silver at the moment!

Ralaks

I've been playing Black 2 (in fact i've already got 80 hours in it), and I think I prefer it to black & white 1. PWT seems very cool and I like the pokemon available far more (was very limited with only generation 5 pokemon at the start of Black 1), not completed it yet though so don't have any post elite 4 thoughts though.

I miss the great touchpad menus from the SSHG games though. Why on earth would they remove that.

Hope the next version will be for the 3DS though. I hope it's a remake of the 3rd generation too, mainly cause I never had a GBA and missed out on that generation.

Sarni

They will certainly make one for 3DS, just not in the near future. Perhaps next Winter, in time for Christmas would make sense. They need to bring a few other games to the system first, Luigi's Mansion has been delayed forever and the current library is still poor for a nearly 2-year old system.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think we could see a new main series Pokémon as soon as next year in Japan. Probably around October which is when they're usually released over there. The current anime arc comes to what seems like the conclusion at the end of this year and what I imagine is the final Black/White series movie will likely air in July (and feature a 6th Generation Pokémon as well as the legendary 'Genesect').

I reckon we'll see remakes of the 3rd Generation (Ruby & Sapphire) on the 3DS as part of Generation 6 rather than prolonging Generation 5. So. they will probably be released two years after the pair of Generation 6 games going off previous releases.

As for the 3DS itself, the release of Professor Layton is a big one this month (this coming Friday) which is sure to ship a lot of units and probably even more consoles as it's a series that I expect has sold upwards of 12million units collectively. There's also Paper Mario: Sticker Star due for release on the 7th of December. If you haven't played Paper Mario before and are a fan of RPG games, I would strongly recommend giving this a try. I had a quick go at Play Expo near the Trafford Centre the other week and I can already tell it's going to be perfect. I loved The Thousand Year Door on the Gamecube and this has the same magical feel to it.

Obviously Luigi's Mansion being pushed back sucks a little, but with me getting a Wii U and most likely investing in Professor Layton and Paper Mario before Luigi makes his return, it just means I'll have more time to play it when it finally comes (and won't miss it not being out earlier). There's also Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate hitting stores in March (on Wii U and 3DS with cross-play).

The 3DS will still have a lot to offer in the future as well (although I expect it to be quite distant). We've got the likes of a fully 3D Mario platformer, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 4 etc all to come.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Wish they'll just make a pokemon mmorpg.

Connect online to battle others and organise quests like the mange/cartoons. Pokemon would be perfect for it.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think we could see a new main series Pokémon as soon as next year in Japan. Probably around October which is when they're usually released over there. The current anime arc comes to what seems like the conclusion at the end of this year and what I imagine is the final Black/White series movie will likely air in July (and feature a 6th Generation Pokémon as well as the legendary 'Genesect').

I reckon we'll see remakes of the 3rd Generation (Ruby & Sapphire) on the 3DS as part of Generation 6 rather than prolonging Generation 5. So. they will probably be released two years after the pair of Generation 6 games going off previous releases.

As for the 3DS itself, the release of Professor Layton is a big one this month (this coming Friday) which is sure to ship a lot of units and probably even more consoles as it's a series that I expect has sold upwards of 12million units collectively. There's also Paper Mario: Sticker Star due for release on the 7th of December. If you haven't played Paper Mario before and are a fan of RPG games, I would strongly recommend giving this a try. I had a quick go at Play Expo near the Trafford Centre the other week and I can already tell it's going to be perfect. I loved The Thousand Year Door on the Gamecube and this has the same magical feel to it.

Obviously Luigi's Mansion being pushed back sucks a little, but with me getting a Wii U and most likely investing in Professor Layton and Paper Mario before Luigi makes his return, it just means I'll have more time to play it when it finally comes (and won't miss it not being out earlier). There's also Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate hitting stores in March (on Wii U and 3DS with cross-play).

The 3DS will still have a lot to offer in the future as well (although I expect it to be quite distant). We've got the likes of a fully 3D Mario platformer, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 4 etc all to come.
I'm looking forward to epic mickey next month, can't wait :devil:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
When is NFS:Most Wanted set for release? Can't wait to see what Criterion can do with the VITA.
November 2 according to an advert for it during the game last night.

Ace Attorney 5 info (spoiler'd because there's quite a lot);

- Talk of Ace Attorney 5 started last autumn
- Once the staff was decided upon, the four writers and the character designer lodged together for four days and three nights, for an intense brainstorming session
- They then came up with the “impactful event” for AA5, which is the courtroom explosion
- Phoenix’s return as the protagonist of the game raised some concerns
- Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth had never been the main playable character prior to the Investigations games, so his quirks were easy to work with
- Phoenix has been the main character from the start and he is someone everyone can relates to, so it took much more time to grasp his character
- The team wanted to make a Phoenix that inherited his traits from Apollo Justice, but also brought back some of his “youth” from Trials and Tribulations
- Phoenix’s new partner, Kokone Kizuki, has her name coming from a play on words for “to notice things” and “listening to the heart or soul”
- Kokone was designed to be a heroine who actively fights alongside Phoenix
- Because of this, she’s a defense attorney working under Phoenix
- Her initial design was very sci-fi-esque
- Some traces of this have been left in her final design
- The monitor (named “Monita”) hanging from her neck is what enables the special “Heart Scope” function in this game
- Heart Scope was thought of at the start of development
- Yamazaki suggested a system where one could see through the various emotions a witness goes through as he’s giving his account
- These emotions would hold the key to seeing through the various preconceptions and prejudices of people dragged into such an extreme situation (a murder) that eventually appear in their testimonies
- First time voice actors will be used in-game
- The team knows that there will be some fans who won’t be happy with the change, but it decided on after much consideration
- First reason was because the 3DS’ surround sound capabilities would have made it difficult bringing over the DS sounds due to tuning problems
- Another concern: the staff wanted the game sequences to work with the anime scenes, which are also fully voiced
- Eshiro carefully selected returning characters
- Eshiro considered characters that were not only very popular but also those who would fit into the story of Ace Attorney 5 without feeling awkward or forced
- They talk about the reception at TGS and the pressure of developing a proper sequel to the AA series.
- Yamazaki is a ‘scenario director’, which is a rare function actually. The scenario is written together by four people, with Yamazaki having the last call on edits and such.
- They talk about the theme of the ‘trials falling apart’. They had played with a concept of a ‘torture trial’ if you get a guilty verdict.
- They talk about how it is to have to change from writing from Edgeworth’s point of view to Nick’s (as they are different characters, naturally)
- In the animated parts, you see that Nick is still using the same cellphone he has always used.
- Because of the better sound quality of the 3DS, they couldn’t use the old sound bites Takumi Shuu had done (Objection! etc). And as they are using animation anyway, they have hired proper voice actors. But for smaller parts, they might still use company workers (in the demo, the voice of Shinobu was actually also a company worker)
- Dark Payne (little brother) was conceived because they wanted a evil prosecutor, but they couldn’t just change Payne (older brother) in someone evil suddenly. They do still think that Payne is still working. They joke about how the Paynes are now the Turnabout Brothers. Yamazaki throws in an idea for a new game: Turnabout Payne (Eshiro: What are they going to turnabout?!).
- If Kay is a genki girl, then Kotone is a determined girl, who will do everything to help her superior, according to Yamazaki.
- The pendant Kotone is wearing is called a Monita (モニ太). Because a monitor comes out of it. One of the apps in it, is the Heart Scope.

Ace Attorney 5 to feature fully voice-acted dialogue

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
There was already a NFS Most Wanted a few years back, I've got the PSP version. Is this one a remake? Don't keep up with these games so I don't know anything about it.

EvilChuck

No, it's not a remake, but is using the same name. It's on PC, XB360, PS3, and VITA.
There has been talk of there being a cross buy with it, which I'd love. I dont intend to get the VITA version otherwise, I'm already spending money on Assassin's Creed 3 and Liberations next week, and will be getting the PS3 version of NFS with the VITA version as a freebie would make me a very happy gamer

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Weaste? My kid earlier downloaded plants vs zombies on ps3 it's coming up as a vita only game.

My fault for not checking what he was doing. But what the feck. Why can you download a vita only game on the PS3?