Gaming Nintendo 3DS vs PS Vita thread.

WeasteDevil

I bought it for my daughter really, thus the pink, along with Disney princesses, magic kingdoms, and their fairytale adventures. Obviously I'm going to snaffle a bit of it myself though. Zelda and Mario you say?

Havak

Pokemon master
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Starfox 64 3D are the older games from the console and remakes of classics which you'll probably enjoy. Get them if you can get them on the cheap though (which you should be able to by now) and you'll definitely get your money's worth.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is what you'd expect it to be, but it should last you a decent amount of time and there's actually DLC for this if you find the additional modes your sort of thing. I've heard good things about Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I haven't played that myself - might be worth looking up some reviews / gameplay.

Resident Evil Revelations is quite underrated. If you liked the more survival horror based Resi's of old, then this would be the game for you. If you prefer the more recent Resi games then it's probably worth giving a miss. Again, this is something I wouldn't pay £30 for now, but if you find it at a reasonable price it's probably worth it.

As for other non-first party stuff, there's Tales of the Abyss, Tekken, Super Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater, Dead or Alive, Cave Story etc that don't really feel like watered down versions of console version (though they may to you).

Lastly, depending on your daughters age and interests, you could look into Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Mixes Disney and Final Fantasy as I'm sure you're aware and is something that could well appeal to both of you.

You probably have a DS already, but if you never got one, look into some of the highly rated games on that. Massive library.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
What is Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks like, Olly?
Still haven't played Phantom Hourglass yet but Spirit Tracks is a good game and apparently an improvement to PH. They both kind of get shit on for not being classic, epic Zelda games but I'd still recommend them (Spirit Tracks more since I've actually played it).

WeasteDevil

Also, because of being a PS+ member, there's a steady stream of VITA games for free. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Mutant Blobs, Chronovolt, Bigsky Infinity, Mortal Kombat,
Knytt Underground, etc.

Does Nintendo have any service similar to this?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Also, because of being a PS+ member, there's a steady stream of VITA games for free. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Mutant Blobs, Chronovolt, Bigsky Infinity, Mortal Kombat,
Knytt Underground, etc.

Does Nintendo have any service similar to this?
They have something called Club Nintendo, which is a very poor mans PS+ mate.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Where's the best place to buy DS and 3DS games? Nintendo's own stuff doesn't seem to come down in price to me.
Don't think there's one specific place that's the best. Amazon is usually pretty good most of the time though, and Shopto's delivery is ridiculously good.

I've got a lot of DS games from eBay at good prices, but you have to be careful to make sure they aren't fake.

Play-Asia and VideoGamesPlus are good too for imports. While the 3DS and its games are region locked, it'll play DS games from any region (apart from DSi enhanced games).

Havak

Pokemon master
Nintendo's big hitters often don't come down too much, but sometimes you can find certain ones cheap.

Things like New Super Mario Bros and Pokémon main series RPGs tend to stick to high prices. Hell, even the Pokémon Gold & Silver remakes still go for £25+ and there's been four main series releases since then! And they're DS games, not 3DS games for fecks sake.

It's too bad you didn't get in on the recent Morrison's clearance sales. I got Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D, Super Pokemon Rumble, Lego Star Wars III, Formula One 2011, Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7, and Resident Evil Mercenaries on 3DS for 98p a pop (although I took them straight to CeX lol)! Also bought New Super Mario Bros on the DS for a tenner two weeks before (if I'd have known it'd drop to 98p l'd have hidden it for two weeks).

But yeah, I've seen Zelda OoT 3D go really cheap before (as little as £15 not even including supermarkets), but it seems to have gone back up to £30 everywhere now. This happened with Starfox 64 3D for a while, and Super Mario 3D Land. Pretty silly prices now if you ask me, but people pay it.

Only had a brief search myself, but New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D Land are £27.85 on ShopTo.net and those are fecking sale prices! So good luck for now mate, but I'd wait it out and save £5-10 in a short while (hopefully)!

EvilChuck

Quick questions for anyone familiar with Dragon Quest games;

What's the best one(s) for the DS?
Does it matter if I don't play them in order?
4, 5, and 6 are the best ones. It doesnt matter which order you play them in, my favourite was number 5 though.

Havak

Pokemon master

First worldwide release of a main series Pokémon game, Pokémon X version and Pokémon Y version available worldwide in October 2013. The games are finally in fully 3D with a very cartoon-like look.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
For fecks sake, don't say things like that!
:lol: Sorry.

Have you seen this BTW? http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/2...higesato-itoi-says-something-is-in-the-works/

Shigesato Itoi, creator of the Earthbound (known as Mother in Japan) series of games and editor-in-chief of the popular Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun website, says that some sort of Earthbound return is underway.

Before you get excited, it’s not Earthbound 4.

Over Twitter, Itoi shared: “Since I’m allowed to drop it on you all now, I’ll just go ahead and say it. The “Mother re-release” I’d mentioned a bit before, we’re making progress on that.”

He added later: “It’s not 4! We’re trying to get Mother working again right now. I still can’t mention any details, but I have to make clear that this isn’t ‘4’!

Judging by the way it’s worded, it sounds like Itoi could be saying that the involved parties are trying to get Earthbound prepped and working on current systems or for current audiences. A Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console release, perhaps?

Earthbound, for those that aren’t familiar, is a series of role-playing games published by Nintendo. The second game in the series, Mother 2 was released in North America, and was the first and only Mother game to be officially released outside Japan.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yes, but I had put it out of my mind to try to forget just incase!

If true, it's a must have for any rpg fans who have never played or heard of it. I reckon Weaste should get it for his pink 3DS! (Though he'll have to google it first, then come on here and pretend to have ever played one or even know what it is, then make some sort of joke) ;)
Yep, it would be nice to be able to own them without needing to spend hundreds of pounds :(

TBF I'm sure Weaste's an expert on it, being the hardcore Super Nintendo fan that he is.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yeah but all the best 3ds and DS games shit all over the best vita/psp games.

Doesn't matter what it's capable of.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I'm not so sure about that, I think we need to see the Snes picture again to remind us...
:lol:

All I want are remakes of mario 1-4, SNES zelda and majoras mask.

Gameplay identical but with updated graphics

Then I can die happy.
Add a proper sequel to Yoshi's Island (:drool:) and you've got a deal.

Aboutreika18

I'm tempted to get a Vita at some point with Persona 4 Golden finally being released in Europe this year, as well as the fact some of the stuff I got free on PSN+ has cross-play functionality.

Hoping Nintendo do something similar between the 3DS and the Wii U.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've been playing Paper Mario and Professor Layton lately, both are excellent. With Luigi's Mansion eventually making its way to the shelves this year (hopefully because they've already delayed it about a dozen times) 3DS' line up will look impressive.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Have you played any of the other Professor Layton games? Just wondering because I haven't got round to Miracle Mask yet and I'm wondering how the shift from the 2D to 3D art style is.

NM

Why is the highest rated metacriticed handheld game currently on the Vita then? You don't know snuff!
What games do you have for the Vita? I WANT one, but can't justify it due to the lack of games.. I still have lots of games to play on my 3ds.

Do you think it has a future?