Gaming Nintendo Switch

hubbuh

I'll definitely grab this. Is Pokémon still fun? I saw they are rereleasing Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
The problem with that is splitting the player base for something half arsed.

I think at least this proves the gaming/tech sites and twitter IDK don't know shit. I mean I heard about the screens myself, but had no idea they'd add them and the bloody ethernet port to the original system and sell as a new one :lol:

We are at least 18months away from a power upgrade IMO. It is definitely in the works, but devs don't even know what the first wave of specs are supposed to be yet including in house.
I think the chip shortage will have made them reconsider their plans.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think the chip shortage will have made them reconsider their plans.
It's a thought, but nah the switch is still selling a ridiculous amount for the price and what it is there's no rush either way. If anything the screen would be the thing there.

Plus, as I say, the in house devs would know the plans on that front more and whether or not they have changed. If you look at the cycle of games still to come, this gen is yet a few years away from properly ending for them.

This 'upgrade' seems to have taken everyone by surprise though whilst not actually being much different, which is classic Nintendo.

b82REZ

Anyone ever used enjify for keys?

After Mario Golf I want to try Aces but the cheapest I can find it is on enjify. Most places seem to suggest it's pretty legit but I'm always wary when websites don't accept PayPal.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone ever used enjify for keys?

After Mario Golf I want to try Aces but the cheapest I can find it is on enjify. Most places seem to suggest it's pretty legit but I'm always wary when websites don't accept PayPal.
My mate used a website like this. His game arrived late, then it didn't work and they refused a refund. It wasn't this exact site but one that looked similar. Proceed with caution.

b82REZ

Oh my bad sorry! I don't even know what keys are. Car keys? House keys? Alicia Keys?
Basically the download code.

Cdkeys are usually good for cheaper deals but this other website are better for Mario Aces.

I might roll the dice on it because trustpilot reviews are pretty favourable.

Balljy

It's a thought, but nah the switch is still selling a ridiculous amount for the price and what it is there's no rush either way. If anything the screen would be the thing there.

Plus, as I say, the in house devs would know the plans on that front more and whether or not they have changed. If you look at the cycle of games still to come, this gen is yet a few years away from properly ending for them.

This 'upgrade' seems to have taken everyone by surprise though whilst not actually being much different, which is classic Nintendo.
I'm not convinced it would be the screens that would be the issue with the current situation. It's a fab capacity issue at the likes of TSMC where they are hugely overbooked and it's almost impossible to get space which hasn't already been reserved. I don't think there's an OLED production issue at the moment as far as I'm aware.

There are rumours that a 4k version has been delayed as it was pointless to release it when they couldn't physically make the things and that they have booked fab space for 2022 for the new chipset production capable of 4k. Who knows, but it's a definitely possibility as if Nintendo are good at one thing it's making money and they wouldn't want to release a console they can't physically make many of at the moment.

diarm

How are they releasing a new model without fixing how uncomfortable it is to play in handheld mode with the charging wire in.
Pretty sure it only cost me 20 quid to trade in my original Switch for the one with the bigger battery in Gamestop. Would happily do the same again for that lovely white version.
€65 apparently, but it has to be a Switch plus 2 games. I don't have physical games for the Switch, apart from Zelda which I want to keep.

Also, I can't believe they've released a new model without fixing how uncomfortable it is to play handheld with the charging wire in. Especially with such a pish battery life.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
There are rumours that a 4k version has been delayed as it was pointless to release it when they couldn't physically make the things and that they have booked fab space for 2022 for the new chipset production capable of 4k. Who knows, but it's a definitely possibility as if Nintendo are good at one thing it's making money and they wouldn't want to release a console they can't physically make many of at the moment.
I mean it’s a possibility but this shortage isn’t new and this seems to be the new go to excuse for the switch pro rumours not materialising yet again, I swear at this point the rumour merchants just don’t want to lose face

Balljy

I mean it’s a possibility but this shortage isn’t new and this seems to be the new go to excuse for the switch pro rumours not materialising yet again, I swear at this point the rumour merchants just don’t want to lose face
Definitely it could be due to wanting to save face. The chip shortage is very real though and not going to improve in the short-term. I wouldn't blame Nintendo for wanting to hold off if sales of the Switch are holding on OK as profits will be higher on the existing chipset and if they would struggle to produce enough of a "Pro" variant.

As was said before, Nintendo are very good at doing the unexpected and I agree that this could have been the plan all along. I doubt moving to OLED will get many people to buy another from scratch though - although I probably would if there was a decent trade-in offer.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It would help if they actually made some new games for the thing. Mine has been gathering dust the last year.

Massive Spanner

Nintendo have been pouring it into casual games for about two years now but finally the proper games are coming - Metroid Dread, Skyward Sword, SMT V, BotW 2, No More Heroes 3
BOTW2 is probably still years away, the only other one I'm looking forward to there is SMTV. I do appreciate that Metroid is a biggy, though, just not really my taste.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
BOTW2 is probably still years away, the only other one I'm looking forward to there is SMTV. I do appreciate that Metroid is a biggy, though, just not really my taste.
Mmm yeah I get what you mean. It's not perfect but definitely better than it was. No offence to anybody who's spent the last year playing Animal Crossing but I'd personally rather gouge my eyes out.

A lot of people are still wondering what's happening/ed to Bayonetta 3.

Massive Spanner

Mmm yeah I get what you mean. It's not perfect but definitely better than it was. No offence to anybody who's spent the last year playing Animal Crossing but I'd personally rather gouge my eyes out.

A lot of people are still wondering what's happening/ed to Bayonetta 3.
Yeah, dunno, I haven't bought a game for my Switch in.. maybe 18 months at least. There's really been nothing I wanted or couldn't just get on PC/PS4 for cheaper, but I guess when you're in a Covid world the portability of the Switch means a lot less, I'd have probably chosen it for a few indie games pre-Covid, like Hades.

The year before that though, I got BOTW, Mario, Octopath, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, Mario Rapids, Xenoblade 2! It's crazy how it went from being so good to so shit, so quickly.

Balljy

Yeah, dunno, I haven't bought a game for my Switch in.. maybe 18 months at least. There's really been nothing I wanted or couldn't just get on PC/PS4 for cheaper, but I guess when you're in a Covid world the portability of the Switch means a lot less, I'd have probably chosen it for a few indie games pre-Covid, like Hades.

The year before that though, I got BOTW, Mario, Octopath, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, Mario Rapids, Xenoblade 2! It's crazy how it went from being so good to so shit, so quickly.
I bought my Switch for when I stay in hotels with work, which was 2 or 3 times a week leading up to the start of the last year. I bought it around January 2020 which was....great timing. I'm sure I will use it loads when I get back out eventually though.

I'm personally looking forward to Metroid the most, but am more excited about the new Metroid Prime than the 2D version.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
BOTW 2 is out in 2022, knowing Nintendo it'll be after Black Friday and they won't have enough copies for everyone by Christmas.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Yep. Covid hasn't helped because I used to take my Switch out a lot, like if I stayed in hotels or whatever. The premium isn't worth it at home.

How is Astral Chain? I was always intrigued by it.

Last edited:

JohnZSmith27

Jesus they could have done more to fix the controls on Skyward Sword. Still clunky as feck.

Nice to play the game again though. I only played it once when it first came out.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jesus they could have done more to fix the controls on Skyward Sword. Still clunky as feck.

Nice to play the game again though. I only played it once when it first came out.
Takes some time getting used to holding L whenever you want to move the camera with the right stick. Apart from that weird decision it's been alright for me so far. Also my first time playing and and I'm having lots of fun.

JohnZSmith27

Takes some time getting used to holding L whenever you want to move the camera with the right stick. Apart from that weird decision it's been alright for me so far. Also my first time playing and and I'm having lots of fun.
I couldn't get used to that at all. Ended up going back to motion controls. Fun to play again though. Can't beat that Zelda music.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I couldn't get used to that at all. Ended up going back to motion controls. Fun to play again though. Can't beat that Zelda music.
I exclusively use my Switch as a handheld so motion controls were never an option for me.
The music is great indeed.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Came here to say this. The controls take some getting used to and things like dowsing are just bad ideas. I'm hoping that stops being a thing soon.

How're you fairing?

JohnZSmith27

Came here to say this. The controls take some getting used to and things like dowsing are just bad ideas. I'm hoping that stops being a thing soon.

How're you fairing?
Yeah the dowsing is pure annoying. I've gotten used to the controls now for the most part. It just gets frustrating during frantic parts like fighting big enemies or trying to perfectly time something. It doesn't help that I'm switching to playing PS5 etc and getting used to that controller. Might just stick solely to Zelda til I get it finished

K Stand Knut

What are the Switch Lites like??

Considering them (or the full versions) for my kids for Christmas but £250 seems like a lot for a handheld games console

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
What are the Switch Lites like??

Considering them (or the full versions) for my kids for Christmas but £250 seems like a lot for a handheld games console
I don’t have a light however I would be scared of joycon drift since they are not detachable and don’t see the reason why you would limit yourself to handheld only.

K Stand Knut

I don’t have a light however I would be scared of joycon drift since they are not detachable and don’t see the reason why you would limit yourself to handheld only.
It’s not really me but for my 6/8 year old kids.

Wasn’t sure whether the main version might be a bit ‘grown up’ for them or of the Lite was maybe a bit more of child formerly version that might suit them.

Add to that the difference between £500+ and £300 if I have to buy them one each

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
It’s not really me but for my 6/8 year old kids.

Wasn’t sure whether the main version might be a bit ‘grown up’ for them or of the Lite was maybe a bit more of child formerly version that might suit them.

Add to that the difference between £500+ and £300 if I have to buy them one each
Well since it’s a gift you won’t do it with them but just go to a store to compare the size \ feel of them. I think they’re fairly similar and the light mostly makes sense if you don’t have the option to play docked at all.

celia

The Switch Lite feels incredibly lighter compared to the original Switch. So much that it felt quite toy-like to me at first. It really feels more comfortable to play it than the original. But I don't know compared to the Mariko model (second (and current) retail version of the Nintendo Switch).

If you get a Switch Lite, try to be sure to get a recent one. I they have added something to the joycons to avoid the drifting and I suppose they have done the same with the recent Lite.

Wouldn't your kids play together too on the same console? Games like Mario Kart, Mario Party? Even solo games? By example, I played my first Mario game with my siblings, and we took turns playing and watching on the TV screen (suggesting things to do) and once we completed entirely the game, we played it on our own.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm trying to play dq11 again, but I just hate silent protagonists so much. Just standing there like a fecking mute.