Gaming Nintendo Switch

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
https://gizmodo.com/nintendo-switch-sequel-second-half-of-2024-lcd-display-1850692341

Good news - Switch 2 rumoured to be coming in second half of 2024.
I don't mind if its an LCD panel but Backwards compatibility is surely a must for the new console.

Will this be a day 1 purchase for you lot?
Of course. I will pre-order it the very minute it preorders are live. I expect them to release 3D Mario as a launch title which will be enough of an incentive for me to rush to the store.

I'd be hoping for OLED screen though given the difference in quality between standard Switch and OLED, I don't want to buy another iteration of the same console in 2026/2027. Backwards compatibility will almost certainly be there.

It'll probably be around as powerful as PS4 Pro or so, which would be enough.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
https://gizmodo.com/nintendo-switch-sequel-second-half-of-2024-lcd-display-1850692341

I don't mind if its an LCD panel but Backwards compatibility is surely a must for the new console.

Yeah if it's backwards compatible. No, if not.

I've still got an army of Switch games to get through so I'll be happy to wait for a while until the games library builds up.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah if it's backwards compatible. No, if not.

I've still got an army of Switch games to get through so I'll be happy to wait for a while until the games library builds up.
This is how I feel as well.

Hamnat

It would have to finally have something like Metroid 4 or another Zelda or something to be day 1 for me.

Sarni

It would have to finally have something like Metroid 4 or another Zelda or something to be day 1 for me.
Metroid is possible as day 1 game. Mario 3D is almost certain as it’s a system seller and they haven’t released one since Odyssey, Prime 4 is a possibility but they need to remaster 2 & 3 first.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Metroid is possible as day 1 game. Mario 3D is almost certain as it’s a system seller and they haven’t released one since Odyssey, Prime 4 is a possibility but they need to remaster 2 & 3 first.
Quite a few rumours swirling about that MP 2&3 remasters will be released this year.

Sarni

Quite a few rumours swirling about that MP 2&3 remasters will be released this year.
Q4 release calendar is quite packed. I’d expect them to wait until Q1 at least.

I am not that excited though, spent 10 hours playing Prime Remastered but got very tired by the end. I don’t think I’ll come back to finish it (I am on like 15 or 16 items so not far).

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Q4 release calendar is quite packed. I’d expect them to wait until Q1 at least.

I am not that excited though, spent 10 hours playing Prime Remastered but got very tired by the end. I don’t think I’ll come back to finish it (I am on like 15 or 16 items so not far).
I haven’t played it since the GameCube days. I thought it was absolutely amazing back then. I haven’t bought the remaster as I’m not sure how it will hold up to modern scrutiny. I don’t want to destroy those good memories:D

Havak

Pokemon master
Been rumours that Nintendo Switch 2 will release in the second half of next year (I would expect September-November time). They may target September 2024 so they can get consoles out there and have a re-stock in November/early December, giving two lots of availability for the Christmas period. This was something in their plans after seeing the shortages of PS5 and Xbox Series at launch and it has taken them pretty much until this year to fully recover. Production is likely starting soon and development kits are in hand with third party developers.

Some of the early reports are saying this first iteration will go back to an LCD screen, which while a bit disappointing makes sense. They just want to keep cost down in early production so they can focus on higher quality parts in other areas (better SoC, more storage etc). Then they'll likely follow the same path as this version and release and OLED model later. Hybrid is still a thing which again was probably an easy decision, but backwards compatibility is still not confirmed. Nintendo wants to do it, but third parties are pressuring them to not have it. This is basically so that instead of being able to play a current Switch game, you'd have to buy some kind of ultimate version on Switch 2 so they can charge you again. Hope Nintendo sticks to their guns.

Seen a lot of people discuss games like Metroid Prime 2 & 3, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess etc. I think these kinds of games have potentially been ready for a while, but Nintendo has decided to hold them until next year. They will make for good gap filler games to sell in the lead up to the new console. I think Metroid Prime 4 is probably going to be a dual release and there might be another game, from one of Nintendo's bigger franchises that releases like this as well. I've always thought we could see the next Mario Kart release for Switch & Switch 2 near Christmas 2024 as that just seems like an instant winner.

Last edited:

Hamnat

Nintendo just reported their biggest Quarterly profits ever on the backs of Zelda and the Mario Bros movie. Hope they reinvest well in the next console.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nintendo just reported their biggest Quarterly profits ever on the backs of Zelda and the Mario Bros movie. Hope they reinvest well in the next console.
Just make it backward compatible, at least with the digital titles if nothing else. I just wanna keep playing Hollow Knight, Alex Kidd, Celeste & Cuphead.

Superden

So just bought the kids a switch. Which games shall I get for me to play...

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Just make it backward compatible, at least with the digital titles if nothing else. I just wanna keep playing Hollow Knight, Alex Kidd, Celeste & Cuphead.
There is a modern Alex Kidd game? Nice

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
So just bought the kids a switch. Which games shall I get for me to play...
Depends what you’re into?

if you like traditional Nintendo games you will like the same games you’re kids will also like.

this year I’ve played the new Zelda game and Metroid prime remastered as well as the new Kirby game.

i own all 3 consoles and those 3 are as good or far better than anything else from the other two this year

Superden

Depends what you’re into?

if you like traditional Nintendo games you will like the same games you’re kids will also like.

this year I’ve played the new Zelda game and Metroid prime remastered as well as the new Kirby game.

i own all 3 consoles and those 3 are as good or far better than anything else from the other two this year
Erm.. PES, ghosts of hiroshima and fortnite. That's my game playing on ps5 for last 3 years

Bosws87

Repurchased a switch for the second time recently due to zelda’s release. Looking for recommendations for the best local 2 player co-op games.

Me and the missus have played through super Mario bros deluxe and currently working through Super Mario 3d world/Bowsers fury. I’ve been eyeing up the switch Mario party, already got Mario kart and have my eyes on the new super Mario bros coming out in the not too distant future.

Is there any I’m missing, that really should be played?

Maagge

Repurchased a switch for the second time recently due to zelda’s release. Looking for recommendations for the best local 2 player co-op games.

Me and the missus have played through super Mario bros deluxe and currently working through Super Mario 3d world/Bowsers fury. I’ve been eyeing up the switch Mario party, already got Mario kart and have my eyes on the new super Mario bros coming out in the not too distant future.

Have you played Overcooked?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

Have you played Overcooked?
He's trying to break up your marriage.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No. No idea what‘s all this about. :lol: Thought you missed the co-op part.
It's like the gaming equivalent of Monopoly. Stressful and starts fights. Once I was playing with my wife and there's a stage where you have to cross the road carefully to serve food... I got hit by a car and my wife was plating up all the food and says "where the feck are you?" I kept quiet... Then she sees my character dead in the middle of the road and says "feck this you're useless" then stops playing.

I thought this was just my experience but my mates all have had the same. It seems common reading about it online.

But it is really fun too :lol:

Maagge

It's like the gaming equivalent of Monopoly. Stressful and starts fights. Once I was playing with my wife and there's a stage where you have to cross the road carefully to serve food... I got hit by a car and my wife was plating up all the food and says "where the feck are you?" I kept quiet... Then she sees my character dead in the middle of the road and says "feck this you're useless" then stops playing.

I thought this was just my experience but my mates all have had the same. It seems common reading about it online.

Yeah so my wife and I don't play it anymore. She's not the best at games and at some point it simply gets too difficult for her. And then the added stress of wanting to chuck each other out the window.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Me and 3 friends were playing it once and we had to go out for a cigarette after one round to calm down as we failed due to one of our friends sending a burger without the lettuce on. We nearly disowned him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

:lol: :lol:

quadrant

Interesting question, my family absolutely hammered the Switch over the years, but there's been a definite drift to the PS5 in recent months. The boy plays Fifa & online shooters like Plants vs Zombies, the missus just polished off Hogwarts Legacy and is starting Witcher 3, and I spend 80% of my time playing Souls games. It got a little boost when TOTK came out, but that fizzled out quickly and everyone went back to the PS5 after a week or two.

Personally I love all the Nintendo IPs so I'd definitely get one eventually for Mario, Zelda and the rest. But the original Switch launched with a major Zelda title, pretty much my favourite series, so buying one on day one was a no-brainer. But I'm not sure Id buy the new one immediately, unless they line up a new Mario game or something for it.

Maagge

Interesting question, my family absolutely hammered the Switch over the years, but there's been a definite drift to the PS5 in recent months. The boy plays Fifa & online shooters like Plants vs Zombies, the missus just polished off Hogwarts Legacy and is starting Witcher 3, and I spend 80% of my time playing Souls games. It got a little boost when TOTK came out, but that fizzled out quickly and everyone went back to the PS5 after a week or two.

Personally I love all the Nintendo IPs so I'd definitely get one eventually for Mario, Zelda and the rest. But the original Switch launched with a major Zelda title, pretty much my favourite series, so buying one on day one was a no-brainer. But I'm not sure Id buy the new one immediately, unless they line up a new Mario game or something for it.
I'm guessing they'll have a new 3D Mario or Metroid Prime 4 lined up for day one.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I spent all morning playing the Gameboy port for Pokemon: The Trading Card Game and it's incredibly addictive. I never picked it up as a kid because I always thought it looked like a shit version of Red/Blue but it seems I was very wrong.

decorativeed

Have I missed all mentions of the new Mario Bros Wonder game on the Caf, or has it completely passed everyone by?

b82REZ

Have I missed all mentions of the new Mario Bros Wonder game on the Caf, or has it completely passed everyone by?
Alot of the smooth brains consider them kids games so look down on them.

I'll definitely be getting it. Very few games beat a good Mario game and this one looks very good.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Don't think so. All the nerds seem to be too busy jizzing over or shitting on Starfield this week.

It looks good but I still need to play 3D World so I don't think I'll be in a massive rush to get it. I also quite like the look of the Super Mario RPG remake which comes out in November.